Box Art Released

• 174 results
#101 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2030 posts) -

@Fattony12000: I'm American, so we didn't get the cool de Chirico rip. Instead we got the goofy face-fade.

Still, it's a box art. The last time a box had been worth keeping for artistic merit was ~2005 when boxed PC games were still a thing.

#102 Posted by Adaurin (187 posts) -

@Fattony12000: In the US, Ico looked like this:

High Res NTSC PS2 Cover
#103 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (445 posts) -
#104 Posted by BeachThunder (12446 posts) -

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

Elizabeth chest burster?

#105 Posted by mnzy (2926 posts) -
@Adaurin said:

High Res NTSC PS2 Cover
Wow, really? That's amazingly bad.
#106 Posted by FearMyFlop (101 posts) -

As much as I don't like it I guess I kinda understand why it's so generic. It's all about sales and the general public likes generic stuff.

#107 Posted by DeathByWaffle (655 posts) -

I don't think it is indicative of the quality of the game, so why should it really matter?

#108 Posted by beepmachine (617 posts) -

@Fattony12000: The Japanese version did. The NA version, not so much

High Res Cropped NTSC PS2 Cover
#109 Edited by coribald (315 posts) -

@Jimbo

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
#110 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2543 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon:

I mean box arts are continuously becoming more and more generic and being ruined by Logos, sorry to annoy you.....

#111 Edited by MyNameIsJoe (184 posts) -

Has anyone else noticed the dude looks a bit like Ken Levine?

#112 Posted by Bulby33 (618 posts) -

I think it looks pretty cool, to be honest. I don't get why everyone hates it so much.

#113 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

I like it. Obviously the guy on the box art is the lead hero of the game, but it has a burning flag in the background, which makes it look like it has patriotic tones.

#114 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

@SirOptimusPrime: Except ICO had some of the best ever box art!

THIS is what they should have played Homage to.

#115 Posted by Nightriff (5367 posts) -

Shit looking cover art, needs more breasts...did I just say that?

#116 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

Actually, you guys, this is way different than modern video game box art. The guy isn't walking towards the viewer, head down, frowning. Obviously.

#117 Edited by Fattony12000 (7583 posts) -

@Adaurin said:

High Res NTSC PS2 Cover

What are you talking about? You've just posted what I already posted, again. You must be crazy.

@SirOptimusPrime said:

@Fattony12000: I'm American, so we didn't get the cool de Chirico rip. Instead we got the goofy face-fade.

Still, it's a box art. The last time a box had been worth keeping for artistic merit was ~2005 when boxed PC games were still a thing.

Incorrect, I bought this in 2012!

PC GAMES STILL DOING IT BIG JEFFREY STYLE! WHOOP! WHOOP!

#118 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

• Guy
  • Gun
  • Orange
  • Teal

Looks like we've got us some box art!

Not only that, but all of these crap boxarts have the protagonist in the same position, in the middle of the cover, looking off. It's gotten so tired that now I am not surprised to see this infinite cover looking the way it does.

#119 Posted by Vonocourt (2168 posts) -

I hope some of you guys don't buy DVDs or Blu-rays, you'd throw a fit every time a catalog movie was released.

#120 Edited by Village_Guy (2667 posts) -

Talk about generic...

Granted Bioshocks Big Daddy box art wasn't super original either, it was a different look, but it was actually still just a dude in armor.

Should have put Songbird on the cover.

#121 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

@Vonocourt said:

I hope some of you guys don't buy DVDs or Blu-rays, you'd throw a fit every time a catalog movie was released.

Criterion exists though....

#122 Posted by N7 (3682 posts) -

@AngelN7 said:

The PS3 cover is worst, damn logos!

The real question is: Why does it say only on Playstation? Hope that's not the final boxart, it's covered in logos.

#123 Posted by Zaccheus (1806 posts) -

@N7 said:

@AngelN7 said:

The real question is: Why does it say only on Playstation? Hope that's not the final boxart, it's covered in logos.

I'd guess it refers to the Move support.

#124 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1476 posts) -

So it's the first Uncharted game, but set in an alternative universe and Drake is less camera shy?

#125 Posted by chilibean_3 (1698 posts) -

The marketing department made this box art.

#126 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

When you open up the case it plays dubstep like a traditional birthday card

#127 Posted by Rafaelfc (1470 posts) -

@glyn said:

When you open up the case it plays dubstep like a traditional birthday card

i'd pay top dollar for that feature

#128 Posted by Twinsun (495 posts) -

He sort of looks like Crispin Glover to me.

#129 Posted by Rasmoss (482 posts) -

The title is still the absolute pits.

#130 Posted by Bones8677 (3283 posts) -

@mracoon said:

They should have used the artwork in the Booker reveal image (I'm assuming this is a mock-up but it was in our box art gallery for the game):

BioShock Infinite Box Art

I absolutely agree.

#131 Posted by probablytuna (3832 posts) -

It looks like it's a character poster rather than an actual box cover. It's a shame seeing as the art direction for the game has been stellar so far.

#132 Posted by Hector (3381 posts) -

Don't care that it's a generic pose, I like it!

#133 Posted by Vonocourt (2168 posts) -

@Doctorchimp:Yeah, but it's not a perfect world where they can get the rights to every film.

But the ones they do...

#134 Edited by WiredFolf (94 posts) -

I can't help but feel he's squeezing the trigger of that shotgun too tight. Maybe he accidentally fired it over his shoulder and that's why the flag is burning...

#135 Posted by Pop (2651 posts) -

Fuck yes!

#136 Posted by AngriGhandi (792 posts) -

Couldn't they have at least put the Songbird and Elizabeth and some floating city shit in the background of their cool-pose-dude glamour shot?

You almost get the sense that marketing departments are ashamed of what makes their games interesting.

#137 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3999 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

@N7 said:

@AngelN7 said:

I'd guess it refers to the Move support.

Playstation Move support only on Playstation!

(not saying you're wrong... just how dumb)

#138 Posted by Gamer_152 (14113 posts) -

It's sad to see this. The world and story it looks like the game is trying to present and that are going to be a considerable part of the focus of Infinite are so creative, when this box art is so generic it looks like it could be a parody of video game box art. A gruff-looking white male carrying a gun, sparks and fire flying in from one side, and an orange and teal colour palette. In this specific case the burning flag also seems like a rather cheap addition, and I don't like to think that the lack of Elizabeth on the cover is the result of a bunch of guys in a boardroom going "We can't put a girl on a video game box!", but I do wonder.

#139 Posted by Daiphyer (1352 posts) -

Dude with a gun is the cover art of a video game?!

#140 Posted by crush3x5 (39 posts) -

lmao those shades are boss, but seriously even if the cover is meh at least the game (for now) looks really sweet!!!

#141 Posted by Pr1mus (3955 posts) -

Ken Levine explained the choice of boxart in this interview.

The reasons are perfectly reasonable and understandable, plus the fact they plan on releasing alternate covers could fix the issue for most people.

#142 Posted by Brendan (8173 posts) -

@Rainbowkisses said:

@AngelN7 said:

He kind of looks like he's ashamed to be on that cover.

Fuck, I can't unsee it and I can't stop laughing.

#143 Posted by crow13 (146 posts) -

I think it's fine. In a few generations more of consoles we won't even have boxes to have art on so why does it matter?

#144 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4988 posts) -
@Pr1mus said:

The reasons are perfectly reasonable and understandable, plus the fact they plan on releasing alternate covers could fix the issue for most people.

So it's just as I -- or a lot of people -- thought. I shall be printing out the alternate covers to replace the "maximum exposure" god-awful default cover.
#145 Edited by uniform (1838 posts) -
@Pr1mus said:

I understand their reasoning for the cover, as most know just by looking at it, but it's pretty dishonest. Will that "Call of Duty Frat Boy" still purchase the game when he looks at the back of the box only to realize there's no multiplayer?  Let's be honest, pwning friends online is the deciding factor as it's the best bang for their buck, not just chin down, eyes up with a gun. Longevity is what they want, not just a single player campaign. 

I'm not fond of the cover. In fact, I kind of hate it. I'm even less fond of driving to what? Kinko's? to print an alternate cover. Seriously, fuck that. This is where I concede "It's just a cover, first world problems, etc."
#146 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

Meh...

#147 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (928 posts) -

people aren't going to be to happy with the burning flag

#148 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -
@BlatantNinja23

people aren't going to be to happy with the burning flag

Those people don't matter so it's all good. If they choose to direct outrage at a drawing of a burning flag, it's safe to assume they won't have anything worth listening to.
#149 Edited by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

@Spuirrel said:

Oh hi generic white video game protagonist.

The everyman appears once again. Caucasian male with short dark hair and dark stubble on face. Age 25-40. Most likely has a somewhat scratchy voice although is never shown smoking. Is known to crack wise on occasion (sliding scale).

I don't understand how this one guy keeps being put into games. It's almost like they want to go full on blond hair blue eye caucasian male but think the dark hair minoritizes it enough to be less obvious. :/

@Pr1mus said:

So Ken admits the cover is pandering in hopes of additional game shelf impulse purchases. Nice. He's essentially saying, if I was some fucking dipshit moron wandering around in Walmart looking for shiny things, this is the kind of cover that would catch my interest.

#150 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Looks bland as shit, but not gonna stop me from getting it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.