Did anyone notice the terrible AI pattern of the trailer boss?

#1 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

If you first notice the red guy in the trailer, his AI pattern is bad, but he's a grunt so it's whatever right. Your lower level enemies aren't supposed to have that complex AI, it's just not realistic. Jump ahead to the big boss later in the trailer that you're fighting and he has the same sort of scripting, at least in the bit we've seen.

I can only assume from watching the footage the scripting for the boss is 'electrocute zipline, posture once then track player'. That's AI scripting you'd give to a grunt character, not a boss.

This is really disappointing. Bioshock had the same sort of issue that no critic seemed to address substantially.

#2 Posted by ValiantGrizzly (498 posts) -

As far as I know, the Handymen aren't boss characters, but simply one of the "heavy" enemy types you'll encounter.

I also think people are overreacting. It's a gameplay demo composed for a trailer. Wait until the game is out.

#3 Posted by mlarrabee (2887 posts) -

The Handyman performed that AI routine once in that video.

#4 Posted by gaminghooligan (1424 posts) -

@ValiantGrizzly said:

As far as I know, the Handymen aren't boss characters, but simply one of the "heavy" enemy types you'll encounter.

I also think people are overreacting. It's a gameplay demo composed for a trailer. Wait until the game is out.

Yea Handymen are just like the brutes from Bioshock 2. Not bosses. Game looks fine to me, but maybe I'm just blinded by excitement.

#5 Posted by xMEGADETHxSLY (446 posts) -

No, i went to fast to even notice.

#6 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4330 posts) -

You're making some pretty big guesses from some little footage in a trailer.

#7 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1916 posts) -

So just because you saw the same AI routine in two trailers means that's the only routine the character has?

Not very good evidence to go off of IMO.

#8 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

You can't be serious.....

#9 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7054 posts) -

Oh good. The hate train is on time for another major release. Choo-choo.

#10 Posted by laserbolts (5314 posts) -

Such an intense trailer. So hyped for this.

#11 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Lame.

#12 Posted by Inkerman (1449 posts) -

It could also totally be just placeholder AI behaviour that they've developed just so that they can kill bad guys for the trailers.

#13 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

I guess you're just complaining that the thing doesn't act very boss like. Apparently it isn't a boss character, so are you cool with the game?

#14 Posted by cmpLtNOOb (191 posts) -

OP are you the type of person who first looks for the best spot in a piece of media to poke holes through, because that sounds like no fun at all :(

#15 Posted by BBQBram (2203 posts) -

I bet this guy and the other Heavy Hitters are somewhere between a standard enemy type (like the Houdini Splicers for example) and a full-on adaptive boss enemy like the Big Daddies and the contextual way you approached them, which I expect the Songbird to bring in full force since there's only one of him as opposed to multiple Big Daddies. We have only been teased on the Songbird combat. Imagine the frantic skyhook, space-time tearing gameplay we've seen in a creative and intense encounter with that guy. Super Big Daddy on a rollercoaster!

#16 Posted by jillsandwich (762 posts) -

What.

#17 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I was hoping for more of an RPG/shooter for bioshock infinite rather than a ballsOut shooter.

#18 Posted by AssInAss (2545 posts) -

What I'm more annoyed by is the lack of enemy hit reactions and feedback to bullets, which is what plagued the first Bioshock too. Bullet sponges.

#19 Posted by Legion_ (1256 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Oh good. The hate train is on time for another major release. Choo-choo.

ALL ABOARD!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.