Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Ellie or Elizabeth?

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Edited By wealllikepie

Poll Ellie or Elizabeth? (145 votes)

Ellie (Last of Us) 56%
    Elizabeth (Infinite) 44%

Hey guys

So having just finished the Last of Us, I was really struggling which AI lady's compaionship I enjoyed more: Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite or Ellie from Naughty Dog's game. I felt they were both very well written characters with some similar characteristics, but in the end I think I prefer Elizabeth for her non-scripted actions (while Ellie did have some idle animations, which were still a bit repetitive) and the fact that Ellie's AI was often silly (either getting in my way in narrow corridors or running right next to enemies when I was all sneaky). So what do you guys think?

PS. I was a huge fan of Bioshock uno, so I was actually highly skeptical of Infinite being as good as the first one, and I was especially doubtful of Elizabeth working successfully, so let's just say Ken Levine didn't disappoint

• 
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I wish Ellie would toss me coins and shit.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Ellie is a better character overall - I really enjoy the comments she makes and her mannerisms. Though the AI seems a little better for Elizabeth in regards to getting out of the way and not following me down the most narrow corridor.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

They're both fantastic, to be honest. Why's one always gotta be better than the other?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By YI_Orange

I really really liked both, but if I have to pick, it's Ellie. I preferred the "fuck this shit" attitude, but still seeing the kid in there a little more than I enjoyed Elizabeth's wonderous amazement at the world.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Elizabeth threw around a few more "motherfucker"s I'd choose her, but Ellie because she has a sweary mouth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ellie because she reminded me of John Connor in Terminator 2.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the relationship between Joel and Ellie way more interesting than the one between Booker and Elizabeth. I feel like them wanting to keep the twist in Bioshock a secret really hindered their ability to write for those two characters. I was actually disappointed with how, for lack of a better word, shallow the interaction between the two were after hearing that that part of the game would be important. I was going into The Last of Us ready to be disappointed because it was yet again, Troy Baker bonding with a female protagonist. But I ended up being really invested in the two. Ellie felt like a more realized character whereas Elizabeth felt like a character manufactured with the idea of being a smart intelligent woman while also being a doe eyed disney princess that you want to protect. I guess what I want to say is that Elizabeth feels like a character written with gender considerations in mind whereas Ellie, and actually all the female characters, just felt like a natural character without really considering gender roles. Also Ellie can hold her own with a bow, knife knows how a shoot a gun and protect herself whereas Elizabeth can warp time and shit and can't even escape from a few guards without Booker's help, that is after she opens random time tears to impede Booker's pursuit.

The Last of Us may also have the advantage of having cutscenes, but I still found the in-game banter between Joel and Ellie to be crucial in building their relationship.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

Elizabeth I just loved running around Columbia with her. The way she was acted made her seem like one of the most human A.I. characters ever even between scripted sequences and cut-scenes too. How she would go and just gaze around environments and interact with other things and in the earlier parts of the game people. Little things like how she can randomly walk up to the cotton candy guy in the arcade and take some was really cool moments that are entirely spontaneous and don't happen every time.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They both do some things better than the other and both have faults. So, both

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Elizabeth because she had a nice blue dress.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
    No Caption Provided

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

They're the same person, Elizabeth is just a version of Ellie formed in a fever dream Joel had when he had that infection in order to deal with issues over the father figure he was becoming for Ellie. All of Bioshock: Infinite was just Joel's subconscious telling him that at a crucial moment he would have to let Ellie sacrifice both of them for the greater good which somehow just make The Last Of Us's ending more tragic. At the same time The Last Of Us is not an alternate universe of Bioshock: Infinite because there isn't a singular city. The Fireflies are the lighthouse though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us should be called The Book of Ellie.

See what I did there folks. Genius.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They're both pretty amazing characters, and Ellie's joke-book reading almost makes me want to go for her, but this moment in BioShock Infinite puts Elizabeth over the edge.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Pie

Ellie. I didn't find Elizabeth to be very believable as a character and just a little forced. With Ellie you really feel like you have been on a journey with her where both Joel and her have developed as characters.

That song and dance with the guitar in Infinite just felt so forced, out of place and had little impact on me whereas in the last of us just a small change in Ellie's facial expression could leave a much bigger impact on me.

In Infinite you could tell how much they wanted Elizabeth to be in your vision doing those little environmental things. So much so that she would teleport and just move in unrealistic ways just so she could get to that interactive part of the environment and be the centre of attention for the player. In the last of us I felt that Ellie would move about by herself more independently of the player in a much more believable way.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd play a game where Ellie and Elizabeth kill off fungal zombies in a ruined Columbia.

Saarr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

I'd play a game where Ellie and Elizabeth kill off fungal zombies in a ruined Columbia.

Totally agree!

Sonmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sonmi

Probably Elizabeth, I just prefer the character design... while Joel's relationship with Ellie is much more personal and developed than the one between Booker and Elizabeth, I feel Elizabeth's sense of wonder and then pain to be emotions that resonate considerably better with my person.

So yeah, Elizabeth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.