Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Handyman question

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is there more than one Handyman or are we just killing the same one over and over again? I missed some voxophones but I thought I heard them mention on their spoilercast that the handyman was the evolution of the songbird. Is Columbia at a point where anyone with a terminal illness which the cash can be turned into a Handyman or is the one running around the first success?

Is there are reason that the Handyman keeps attacking Booker and is such a brutal killing machine or is it just because they made up some neat combat sequences? Was the Handyman intended for security duty?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im pretty sure you kill a few over the course of the game.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Yeah they're all different handymans, they explode after you kill them.

I don't think the game really tells you much more about them though. If I had to guess I'd say that part of the chance at a "second life" is some sort of servitude, probably in construction. Their savagery is likely due to the constant suffering they experience as handymans. The stuff they say makes it seem like every moment alive is excruciating for them.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By leftie68

I think the handyman "heavies" were my favorite enemies to fight in the entire game. From a tactical point of view, I can see how people might consider them bullet sponges, but they were the only Heavy hitters I was terrified to fight (played on 1999 Mode). They were quick and brutal, and the execution of their storyline was perfect. Who didn't feel a bit of remorse everytime they yelled "Why are you doing this to me?!". Great character, in my opinion.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that all of the various Handyman enemies are meant to be different guys. There is no indication that the Autobody is the "evolution" of the Songbird, it is only suggested that they are both based on Fink's observation of Rapture through the tears. Autobodies look more like an advancement based on the Motorized Patriot.

One of the audiologs indicates that the first Handyman was prone to fits of anger and was perceived as having lost his humanity; "They said your soul was choked by the fumes in that metal box, but this I do not believe." Their in-game dialog suggests that the Autobodies cause the Handymen to be in constant pain (in direct contradiction of the advertisement at the fair; "Live Pain-Free Evermore!") and incapable of sleep.

It looks like they are actively trying to sell Autobodies, given the display at the fair. ("Live Pain-Free Evermore! One Simple Procedure! A Modern Miracle! Doctor Recommended!")

Anonymgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Anonymgeist

I actually really wish they had made it so there was just the one Handyman. I thought the two voxophones from the Handyman's wife to be incredibly moving--particularly the second, as the Vox soldiers are posing next to his corpse--and to me it ended up losing some of that power when they just became a recurring heavy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.