Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

How did Comstock come to rule Columbia? (spoilers)

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Does the game ever comment on how Booker somehow managed to become what we are to believe is something akin to the president of the united states?

The game states, almost as an afterthought, that Columbia built to show off American prowess, but was Comstock in charge when it was on the ground? Did he have some role before he was "The Prophet"? Was he elected into Office? Did he have duties aside from prophesy? How did he become the religous leaders and the "President", I guess, at the same time?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I recall some talk about the Senate and such, so maybe Mr. Comstock was a Senator or a Congressman and was the leader of the Columbia project. However I find it very hard to believe that Comstock was President. Columbia ended up severing themselves from USA so I don't think a President would do that.

That said, I don't think there's anywhere in the game that explicit states the "role" of Comstock before being the Leader of Columbia.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Chibithor

Yeah, he's not the president, he just later decided to part ways with the US. He was obviously an influential person, managing to get funding for his vision of Columbia, but the game doesn't really address how that happened.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By roland_d11

My understanding is this: He became "the prophet" by using the machines the Luteces built to look into the future and other universes. That way his predictions and prophecies were accurate and he accumulated followers that gave him enough power to rule Columbia. The Luteces were also responsible for making Columbia a floating ciy. In the Voxophones by Rosalind Lutece is a bit of explanation on that matter, but not much. Maybe Comstock and the Luteces allied and created Columbia? Or they took over the city of Columbia and sent it into the sky?

I like that the game does not answer all the questions :-) .

Hawkerace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hawkerace

yo waddap girl lutece, iz ya homie Zachary Cbaby. I wanna make sum crazy ass city cause I hate this earth n stuff ya dig

sure cbaby lemme just get some of dat crazy flying juices and a grant from the guvrnment.

And the rest as you know it, is history.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#6  Edited By StarvingGamer

Comstock saw a "prophecy" of Columbia shortly after the baptism, either on his own or through the help of the angel "Columbia" who might just be an alt-reality Elizabeth. He sought out Lutece and, with her research, presented his plans for the floating city to the US government. The US granted them funding and construction began, with Comstock providing the vision and Lutece providing the know-how. The city was launched at the World's Fair: Columbian Exhibition in Chicago in 1893. Over the next eight years Comstock was able to build up a cult of personality around himself as the man in charge of Columbia until, in 1901, he commanded the city to attack Peking in response to the Boxer Rebellion. The government disavowed his actions and ordered the city recalled but, at that point, his grip on the populous was too strong and Columbia instead seceded from the US.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.