Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

How Many Ciphers are in the Game?

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph

I found the first one hidden in the canon that uncovered the writing in blood on the bathroom wall, I also found the notes for what seemed like the second cipher but was unable to work out where the second cipher message was.

How many of these are in the game, and what's the reward for uncovering all of them?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@realph: Dont know how many there are but if you dont mind telling me where the cipher is Ill tell ya where the message to use it at is :D

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dr_ryan

i found three

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I only found two, and unlocked only one of those.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I only managed to find 3

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By rjayb89

First I found was the one you mentioned, and the second was in that Finktown area? Not sure what that area was called but I found the ciper in the Good Time Club and went back to pretty much the beginning of the whole section (where there was some auction going on, I believe) to have Elizabeth unlock this warehouse directly off to the side. It was completely off the main path and in a dead end. Bit of backtracking but I'm fine with that (also some much needed saves I can trigger because of it). Much less than in BioShock and BioShock 2.

Oh, forgot to mention that the second cipher puzzle rewards you with an Infusion upgrade from a safe. You just have to press the use button on the broken clock.

Still not finished with the game, so maybe I'll update this then?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By mikey87144

I found three.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pretty sure there's three. The first on the way to the Hall of Heroes, the second in Finkton and the third in the Bank.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

3 but there's no achievement for it or the side stuff so you'll get some better gear from solving them but not missing anything major if you miss them.

FaPaThY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While there's no achievement for completing the cypher and locked chest side quests specifically, they do usually have voxaphones/infusions in them which are part of some achievements.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

;_; I missed the third one (it was frustrating that the thing it unlocked was ultra-obvious); I moved onto the next area without realising I couldn't go back.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By MildMolasses

I found 3 but I never found the book to decode the first one. I thought I was being thorough, but I sure seemed to miss a lot of audiologs and site seer stuff

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Ravenlight

I found 3 but I never found the book to decode the first one. I thought I was being thorough, but I sure seemed to miss a lot of audiologs and site seer stuff

There's a dead guy slumped on the wall near the first code. Take a look at what he was up to before he got whacked.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Found three, unlocked all of them. Never did finish those quests involving the keys and the locked boxes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#15  Edited By Humanity

I unlocked the first one only but I don't remember finding anything or getting anything for it. If I was supposed to use something after decoding the game wasn't to clear on that so I didn't really bother with the others. I want to play through the game again so I might be on a stricter lookout.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I unlocked the first one only but I don't remember finding anything or getting anything for it. If I was supposed to use something after decoding the game wasn't to clear on that so I didn't really bother with the others. I want to play through the game again so I might be on a stricter lookout.

The codes point you to an item in the vicinity which becomes interactive after Elizabeth deciphers the message.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@rebgav said:
    @humanity said:

The codes point you to an item in the vicinity which becomes interactive after Elizabeth deciphers the message.

Strange, I thought that for my trouble I should get something as the message itself didn't seem important. The one I solved was in a bathroom with a soldier holding a photo. After I came back and decoded it that was it. Elizabeth closed her book and I waited for something to happen but nothing did. Maybe it failed to trigger or something?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan

According to IGN's guide, there are three ciphers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.