Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

I've been spoiled because of stupid Kotaku commenters.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Spoilers, obvs.

So I guess whenever the opportunity arises, Kotaku's users feel obligated to post spoilers all over an article. So the user basically said that this is a matrix type situation where there has been more than one Neo / Booker. He didn't mention the Matrix, but it feels like an appropriate comparison. Will this affect my enjoyment of the rest of this? Jeff said that there's no one sentence spoiler that can ruin the game for you.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By bkbroiler

I don't think that spoiler will ruin the game for you. It is only vaguely accurate, too, if my interpretation of the game is correct - if not just something you can figure out from context clues without even playing the game. Go ahead and play it, it is fantastic. And stay away from anything that says Bioshock Infinite on it!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Your fault, especially if it was a BioShock Infinite related article.

I also feel that you're just asking to spoil yourself more with a question like this.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

You'll be fine for you don't have any context. There is so much more to Bioshock Infinite.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Uhm. It could certainly ruin the game. That whole sequence is like 15 minutes long or so. So.. yes?.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

That's not the biggest twist, you learn that like 1/3 of the way through. Maybe halfway.

Don't read BioShock Infinite articles.

Your fault.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aegon

@starvinggamer said:

That's not the biggest twist, you learn that like 1/3 of the way through. Maybe halfway.

Your fault.

Really guys? It's my fault? A guy can't read an article and expect the comments section to be considerate of others? I have not had that problem with any BioShock Infinite article on giant bomb, so I guess I wasn't fully aware of this virtual plague.

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JNSK

Like Jeff said, Bioshock Infinite isn't really a game you can (meaningfully) spoil in less than a paragraph. The Matrix comparison is not really accurate, and even if there are some slight similarities, I don't think you can predict what is really going on in that game by looking at The Matrix.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the ending of that game, and I do not see any real reason why what you have read should impact your enjoyment of the story. So, I guess what I'm saying is, play it!

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

@aegon said:

@starvinggamer said:

Your fault.

Really guys? It's my fault? A guy can't read an article and expect the comments section to be considerate of others? I have not had that problem with any BioShock Infinite article on giant bomb, so I guess I wasn't full aware of this virtual plague.

I don't think it's totally your fault but the longer you wait the more likely you're gonna run into turds. But yeah, while it sucks you read that there's a LOT more you don't know. Still totally worth your time.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By I_smell

Y'know like Elizabeth can open tears and pull med-kits through?

It's cos there's an alternate universe where there are med-kits there. That's kind of it. You find out about mid-way through, and there's like 8 more hours after that.

@aegon said:

I have not had that problem with any BioShock Infinite article on giant bomb, so I guess I wasn't full aware of this virtual plague.

If you don't want a game spoiled, don't read an article that analyses it. Also don't read internet discussions about the game, and what's in it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

That's not the biggest twist; the biggest twist is actually:

Wait, why would you highlight this? :o

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's not the biggest twist; the biggest twist is actually:

Wait, why would you highlight this? :o

I actually figured that one out ages before the reveal, but still felt like it was very well executed!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

A guy can't read an article and expect the comments section to be considerate of others?

On the internet? No, you really can't. I'm not saying it is your fault, but if you want to avoid spoilers you should avoid content regarding that game, otherwise just know that you are running the risk of being spoiled.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: Like others have said, there is more to the story than what you read, and what you read isn't quite true. What is true of what you read isn't all that much of secret, and something I rationed out in my first 20 minutes of the game. You can still play and enjoy.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@aegon said:

A guy can't read an article and expect the comments section to be considerate of others?

On the internet? No, you really can't. I'm not saying it is your fault, but if you want to avoid spoilers you should avoid content regarding that game, otherwise just know that you are running the risk of being spoiled.

>:( what about people that post spoilers in thread titles?

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@aegon said:

Really guys? It's my fault? A guy can't read an article and expect the comments section to be considerate of others? I have not had that problem with any BioShock Infinite article on giant bomb, so I guess I wasn't fully aware of this virtual plague.

@starvinggamer said:

Don't read the comments until you've finished the game, unless you don't care about spoilers... which you obviously do. Your fault.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer

@aegon said:

@starvinggamer said:

Your fault.

No, you really can't.

Haven't you ever used the internet before?

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

There are a couple of times around here when people have deliberately posted spoilers in the thread titles. I recall someone had managed to do it the night before release. Such as the part when [REDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDREDACTEDOhhhhgoooodleavethisthreadandnevercomeback].

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EXTomar

If you read the article I think you read, Dishonored got "spoiled" as well. It is very much your fault. Also asking this question let alone the answer may count as a spoiler as well.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn you Kotatsu

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

@aegon: Yes, it's you're fault. You know how many games I've had spoiled for me reading comments on the internet? DON'T READ COMMENTS

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Matrix 2 and 3 since they came out in theatres, is there really more than one Neo/matrix universe/whatever?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen Matrix 2 and 3 since they came out in theatres, is there really more than one Neo/matrix universe/whatever?

That's what the architect said. Here's the scene if you wanna watch it:

Loading Video...

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@aegon: Regarding what was potentially spoiled for you, I'm going to say that going in with some one-sentence preconceived notion isn't going to ruin the experience from you. The story of the game and the world takes a few twists and turns that work together and intertwine, so even if you did have one thing about how the world works spoiled for you, it's just one piece of a larger puzzle. If anything, going in with preconceived notions could make the game more interesting from a narrative perspective, as you'll start forming ideas and theories about what will happen based on what you think you know and try to make what you experience fit with how you think it's going to end.

And I wouldn't say that it's your fault, necessarily. Should you know better than to not expect idiot commenters to wantonly spoil stuff like it's the cool thing to do, especially on Kotaku? Maybe. I've been in your situation before, though I can't say I remember if it was on Kotaku or some other site. Sometimes, it's not even just the comments; writers often like to kinda-sorta include spoilers even in article titles now, especially the further away it gets from the release date of the game. Unfortunately, I guess the way to avoid having games that you care about and really want to play spoiled for you is: A) Go dark on everything on the internet regarding the game a good amount of time prior to the game's release until you've actually played through the game yourself, and B) Play the game as soon as possible.

I do commend you for your optimistic outlook on the manners and behavior of people on the internet, though. And I mean that seriously.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

@starvinggamer said:

Your fault.

No, you can't.

You have to remember that not every story has a "twist" as such. Not every story goes "THIS IS THE MOMENT!!!!" like KOTOR does. Some game stories twist as a natural progression of the story and to talk about that story is to talk about the twist. The twist that you mention having "spoiled" for you is more a theory about the story of the game than it is an actual "spoiler", but it reads like that because you haven't played the game.

Thusly, DO NOT READ ANYTHING ABOUT BIOSHOCK UNTIL YOU PLAY THE GAME.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation said:

@aegon said:

>:( what about people that post spoilers in thread titles?

That has happened to me. I don't know if you can do anything about that other than go into a self-imposed internet blackout and/or hope for super vigilant mods. It's difficult for sure.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

I really wish that were the case, but it seems pretty generous to expect Kotaku comments to rise to the same standards/appropriate moderation of the ol' GB.

That said, the thrill ride of Infinite can not be dulled by spoilers unless you read an in-depth analysis of the story or something in that comment thread.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

I knew about the entire ending of the game before I played the game. Didn't ruin my enjoyment at all.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By musubi

I don't really see how that is a spoiler at all as the Multi-verse stuff should have already been fairly obvious due to Elizabeth's powers.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got spoiled by the fact that Booker dies at the end of the game by some prick on Jeff's review the day before the game came out, but honestly I forgot about it whilst immersed in the game and I still didn't see that coming until it happens, so I'd say you're ok. Also it's an incredible game so you have to play it regardless!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Not one sentence huh? I had it spoiled for me at IGN. It was something along the lines of,

There are infinite realities, Booker is the Prophet, elizabeth's his daughter, and she kills him at the end.

It didn't ruin the game for me, but it certainly doesn't make it any better. I swore I wouldn't have it spoiled, but I can only blame myself for looking at comments on the fucking Internet. I still loved the game anyways.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By psylah
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Justin258

@aegon said:

@starvinggamer said:

Your fault.

There's no way to say this without sounding like an asshole, but you were the one scrolling through comments. That he posted that spoiler isn't your fault, but you must remember that those kinds of people exist and the potential for spoilers is greatly increased when reading a comments section of any website. Luckily Giantbomb users are generally pretty good about spoiler tags, but most places aren't.

But never fear! If that's all that has been spoiled then there is a fair bit more to the game that you haven't seen or heard about yet. And it's not really all that accurate anyway.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE

Kotaku's comments have been spiraling toward Youtube levels for a long time now. Don't ever trust that place to be spoiler-free.

Anyhoo, I had the biggest reveal spoiled for me, and there were still a ton of discoveries for me to enjoy. Seriously, don't worry about it. What you had spoiled for you is NOT a story ruiner. In fact, use that knowledge to put other things into context, and it may actually enrich your experience.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

On the internet? No, you really can't.

This was actually the part I was going to call out, too. We've been around the internet for awhile, Aegon. We should've learned by now to avoid the comment sections in games we don't want spoiled. Dude, you should play Bioshock Infinite- as others have said, without context what you've heard isn't going to make it any less enjoyable.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

Kotaku's comments have been spiraling toward Youtube levels for a long time now.

That's what you get for reading Kotaku in the first place, you big fucking idiot.

@shagge: ^so have ours, apparently. What an asshole.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CptBedlam

@aegon said:

Spoilers, obvs.

So I guess whenever the opportunity arises, Kotaku's users feel obligated to post spoilers all over an article. So the user basically said that this is a matrix type situation where there has been more than one Neo / Booker. He didn't mention the Matrix, but it feels like an appropriate comparison. Will this affect my enjoyment of the rest of this? Jeff said that there's no one sentence spoiler that can ruin the game for you.

Jeff is wrong, there is definitely one sentence that could spoil the game, even without context. But luckily for you, that Kotaku comment wasn't that. It is definitely part of the story but there's still bigger stuff there for you to discover. Just don't read any threads or articles about the game from now on.

@aegon said:

@starvinggamer said:

Your fault.

No, you really can't.

Haven't you ever used the internet before?

Agreed,

Also, don't listen to any BI discussions on gaming podcasts. You know most of these guys can't contain themselves when it comes to spoilers.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptbedlam said:

Agreed,

Also, don't listen to any BI discussions on gaming podcasts. You know most of these guys can't contain themselves when it comes to spoilers.

Agreed, I was not looking forward to one of the Bombcasts a few weeks back when a forum thread mentioned something about Brad comparing the game to a movie (it's not). I actually skipped that Bombcast until I finished the game then I found out the context was completely different. Still, I think it was better to not listen or read anything related to Infinite. And stay out of the comments section on the Internet on every website. All of Rev3 games' video uploads had to hide comments in fear of people spoiling the game when it first came out.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.