Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Inspiration for Bioshock Infinite? SPOILERS

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Zlimness

Fellow duders, I might be reading too much into this, but I recently watched a movie that reminded me a lot about Bioshock Infinite. Granted, I watched this movie after I played the game and I found it by chance when I searched for movies about time travel as a theme.

Anyway, there's a movie called Somewhere In Time, where man named Richard goes back in time to 1912. Same year as Bioshock Infinite takes place. Probably a coincidence I thought, but I had to watch the movie just to be sure.

So why does he go back in time? Well, the movie starts in 1980, where an old women give him a pocket watch and says "Come back to me". Apparently she's waited a long time to meet him. Sort of reminded me about Comstock House where you met Elisabeth as an old woman and she gives you the instructions on how to control Songbird.

The woman he's going back to, is a 25-something brunette actress named Elise. She's guarded by her manager, an older man that has warned her about "the one". She even tells Richard that he could see things before they happened, about her career and her life. This is of course the same women he meet in 1980.

The way Richard goes back in time also kind of reminded me how Booker constructed memories. He goes back in time by self-hypnosis, basically he convinces himself he's back in 1912. He forces out the memories from 1980 and imagine 1912 instead. This has consequences of course, similiar to the nose bleeding in the game when memories come back. In the end of the movie, he forgot to take out a coin from 1979 in his pocket and when he accidently pulls it out, his memories collide and pulls him back to 1980.

Does this sound a lot like Ken Levine could have taken some inspiration from this movie? I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. There's even a lighthouse in the movie that plays a part, but not as central as in Bioshock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somewhere_in_Time_%28film%29

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.