Its interesting all the flack this game is getting now.

• 83 results
#1 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

So,yeah this game did crazy good in reviews and what's more created a fairly large buzz among the greater gaming community discussing all of the various theories and interpretations. Now though it seems the honeymoon period is over. I've been seeing quite a few stories from random folks around the net decrying everything the game is not. Kotaku posted one lamenting violence being the way you interacted with the environment.

Lea Alexander also wrote up a fairly similar article. Even the bomb guys seem to be picking it a part a little bit more now. Now im not suggesting that everyone has turned their back on the game and hates it but it sure launched with enough buzz that it seemed to be a pretty easy contender for GOTY if not the front runner. So I guess what Im asking is do you think everyone is going to be AS excited for this in November? Especially with GTA V coming down the pipe later in the year.

#2 Edited by Humanity (9604 posts) -

I can see this being a sort of rubber band effect where on one hand several people praised the game a little too hard and this caused others to react more aggressively with reasons why it's not as good as the world proclaims. I think it certainly deserves the 5/5 but statements about how it will change the industry forever are getting a little out of hand. I had a similar reaction to Dark Souls after it got really popular. It's a very unique and interesting game but to see people show up in almost any thread whether it be "recommend me a driving sim" or "game for my 9 year old niece?" and think they're so clever saying "Dark Souls dood" got grating after a while.

The people who really liked it now will continue to like it down the road because Infinite does how a really good story. The people who are trying to break it down like Leigh Alexander by setting up unrealistic expectations for how a videogame should function are missing the point.

#3 Edited by TheSouthernDandy (3906 posts) -

I think it's to the games credit that it's encouraging this much discussion. Some of the criticism is nuts like that dude from ABC.com. I try to keep an open mind about it and not go fanboy on opinions different from mine. Sometimes I'm more successful then others. Jim Sterling, regardless of what you think of the dude, wrote a pretty interesting article as to why all the people who have a problem with the violence and say it doesn't fit with the story are totally off base.

http://www.destructoid.com/why-does-bioshock-infinite-need-to-be-non-violent--251424.phtml

Whether the combat was good or not (i think mostly it was) is another argument but I'm pretty much on board with what he has to say about why it's necessary. I think the people talking about ludonarrative dissonance just like the sound of the word.

I dunno come end of the year this game is still on my top ten list for damn sure.

#4 Edited by cbarnes86 (559 posts) -

The game was/is a great game in many aspects. When a game reaches the level that Infinite did, the only real thing you can do is nit-pick the minor things wrong with it. At least this is how I think about it. Even the people that I've seen sort of "bashing" the game after all the good scores have said that they loved the game and really really enjoyed it.

There is my two cents.

#5 Posted by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

People are dumb.

Yes, once GOTY rolls around, I'm still going to be excited about this game as I am now.

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

I haven't seen this but I'm not too surprised. One of the many mottos of the internet seems to be "Unreasonably hate things that other people seem to like so that they are as miserable as we are!"

#7 Edited by EXTomar (4848 posts) -

It happens to a lot of games. It comes from the same place "buyer's remorse" starts from but not as pronounced or profund. I personally think a lot players assume that they can play and like anything, especially if it is popular, when my experience shows that this is rarely true. They convince themselves that a game genre they wouldn't normally enjoy playing is suddenly going to be enjoyable because of critical acclaim and general buzz and end up in the same place where they didn't like it for all of the same reasons. A single player, heady story FPS action game isn't supposed to appeal to everyone where just because everyone is talking about it doesn't suddenly make Bioshock Infinite less of a single player/heady story/FPS action game.

While I'm not concerned about this reaction it does create an interesting situation for the DLC. If the DLC scenarios are flawed in some way I suspect that can do some real damage to the prestige of the game because people will pile on it and yelling "I told you so!"

#8 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4851 posts) -

Nobody is bashing the game, though. They're looking at the title and wondering how it could have been different or, in the worst cases, using Infinite as a springboard to talk about what they feel is a larger issue.

Look at the reaction to Dead Space 3 or any goddamn game that's come out in the last six months. Those are savages ripping games apart. Critical analysis of a piece of art does not mean the "honeymoon is over" or whatever nonsense you want to say.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This happened for the first bioshock

#10 Posted by mrfluke (5271 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

I haven't seen this but I'm not too surprised. One of the many mottos of the internet seems to be "Unreasonably hate things that other people seem to like so that they are as miserable as we are!"

#11 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I do have some problems with it, all involving the combat and how it was kind of a step down from Bioshock 2(no different ammo types/weapon attachments, research, dual wielding) but really, all of the pros completely outweigh the cons. The game has such a good story, the environments are memorable, and the entire first and second acts have a sense of adventure that I love in games. So yes, I'll probably look back at it more fondly than I do now since story and characters stick into my mind more than good game play.

Also,

@demoskinos said:

Kotaku posted one lamenting violence being the way you interacted with the environment.

Lea Alexander also wrote up a fairly similar article. Even the bomb guys seem to be picking it a part a little bit more now.

Kotaku posts flame bait, I don't respect Lea Alexander and the bomb guys can be really jaded sometimes. But being critics, I don't necessarily blame the bomb guys too much.

#12 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

This happens to every major release now, sadly.

#13 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: Right, like I said I don't think anyone has turned their back on it but the discussions have turned from complete adulation to seeing the game be a little more dissected.

Which I guess the fact that its spawned this much discussion at all is cool in its own right but I've always thought that you never really know your opinion on a piece of media until about six months later when its had time to sink in. Its really easy to come hot off the game claiming its the best thing ever but its another thing to say that six months down the road. I just am wondering how much the other direction you're going to see the discussion go once all the hype dies down.

#14 Posted by Tarsier (1069 posts) -

it has an amazing world, a great story, and great first person shooting gameplay. the problems people have with the gameplay come from them not challenging themselves. i recall it saying something like "if you have played a lot of shooters, choose hard mode", but i guess a lot of people ignored that.. and they got the experience they did because of it .

on hard, you are forced to use the environment and your arsenal to your advantage. which unlocks the possibility for the gameplay to fluorish. that doesnt happen on medium, on medium you can kind of just play it like call of duty or whatever. if that was my experience with the game i would probably have problems with it too . . .

#15 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4420 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

It's the Internet, everyone has to be hyperbolic so they can be noticed.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@tarsier said:

it has an amazing world, a great story, and great first person shooting gameplay. the problems people have with the gameplay come from them not challenging themselves. i recall it saying something like "if you have played a lot of shooters, choose hard mode", but i guess a lot of people ignored that.. and they got the experience they did because of it .

on hard, you are forced to use the environment and your arsenal to your advantage. which unlocks the possibility for the gameplay to fluorish. that doesnt happen on medium, on medium you can kind of just play it like call of duty or whatever. if that was my experience with the game i would probably have problems with it too . . .

I really agree with that if you're bored with the combat you REALLY need to play on at least hard if not 1999. The combat in those modes matter. You're making specific choices in how you engage and how you upgrade and sticking to them. The only part that got a tad irritating was the final encounter and that is a matter of simply of how they frame that battle. Although its still a much more elegant way to end the game than the horrible boss battle in the first game.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I never quite understood the extreme praise it got. I like it, it's memorable, and it plays well - but there's lots that's *not that great*. It's greater than sum of its parts, and I guess there's some grasping at straws for *greater artistic value than just entertainment* going on too - in the gaming press and on enthusiast's forums - pushing its critical reception way over the mark I'd put it at.

There's better playing shooters, there's better realized worlds, there's more memorable characters, there's more meaningful character progression, there's better written dialog and story, there's higher production values - Bioshock Infinite does nothing *the best* - how it ended up being *the highest rated game of all times* statistically speaking - eludes me. Must be some hive-mind thing.

I have a theory about *dominant* tastemakers, and *submissive* tastedrones. A critical mass of dominant opinions has formed an opinion gravity well, in which all the submissive opinions must follow - creating a superstar of extreme critical reception. Some opinions seem to permeate sociospheres, spread from one critic to the next without much self-reflection, kind of a opinion-herd-mentality that can often be observed in podcasts, mostly when talking about games and genres that the critics at hand don't care about themselves.

It's in no way meant to be a diss of the game, it's great - it's just not that great. Maybe it is, if you're introduced to the concept of Infinity for the first time, I don't know - I'm not that impressionable anymore, and I've spent ample time pondering upon the subject on my own time.

#18 Edited by Milkman (17034 posts) -

I think when something like Infinite comes out, it's going to critically analyzed to death just because there's so much within the game to talk about. Most of these people writing these criticisms seem to actually like the game a great deal or at the very least appreciate it for trying to be more than most video games aspire to be. It's sparked a discussion which perhaps highest praise it can receive I don't think this is a GTA IV situation where a few months after release everyone on the internet just decided that the game was shit for some reason.

#19 Edited by Discoman (169 posts) -

I think the 'violence' backlash is ridiculous. It's become an extension of "x is offensive and should be removed, it makes sense because people of group y will then buy it!" Many gaming journalists are more focused on being 'responsible culture critics' than actually letting the industry be what it wants.

Also, in regards of it 'not fitting the narrative' Booker, although the hero, is a degenerate, so why should I be surprised he'd kill in self defense? In the case of games like LA Noire it makes sense to limit certain violence, but in this it didn't matter. I think the problem with the original Bioshock was the hype going into it for its gameplay and it wasn't earth shattering in that regard. A friend of mine wasn't impressed with the "Would you Kindly" twist considering how linear the game is.

#20 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

Personally, as time has gone on since I've finished it, I've cooled down on my opinion; it's still amazing, but the flaws are more apparent now. More than anything, the way that the story plays out seems convoluted for the sake of it - I understand it's more or less integral to the story itself, but there's definitely something to be said about keeping it simple (stupid). There's also a few other gripes, but really, did I mention that's it's still an amazing game? All games have their share of drawbacks, it just depends on how much those drawbacks hinder the experience.

#21 Edited by jsnyder82 (744 posts) -

People like to be negative and cynical on the internet, because they're looking for attention. Notice that even people who gave the game glowing reviews noted that, since no game is truly perfect, there were niggling issues they had with it. But a decent conversation about anything that could potentially be wrong with the game is drowned out by the incessant bullying from the mouth-breathers on the internet. They won't be happy until everybody hates it. They're petty, petty people.

I love the game. I think it's one of the best games I've ever played, and I feel the praise is well-deserved.

#22 Edited by jkz (4043 posts) -

Jim Sterling, regardless of what you think of the dude, wrote a pretty interesting article as to why all the people who have a problem with the violence and say it doesn't fit with the story are totally off base.

http://www.destructoid.com/why-does-bioshock-infinite-need-to-be-non-violent--251424.phtml

Whether the combat was good or not (i think mostly it was) is another argument but I'm pretty much on board with what he has to say about why it's necessary. I think the people talking about ludonarrative dissonance just like the sound of the word.

Just quoting this because it's an excellent article that I may have ignored had I not been tipped off to it by others

#23 Edited by Zlimness (563 posts) -

Polarized opinions tend to go both ways. In some ways, Bioshock Infinite might have gotten more praise than it actually deserves and if people go in with unreasonably high expectations, it will "not be as good as they expected". I can relate to this; I played Uncharted 2 expecting something godlike, but what I got was just a bunch of cinematic nonsense and clunky combat I thought. I hated it. I probably gave that game a lot more grief than it deserved. But for those who played the first game, the second was obviously a major step up.

What matters in the end, is what the game mean't to you. I went into Bioshock Infinite expecting almost nothing. Last time I watched anything Bioshock Infinite related, was the E3 2011 demo. So I guess I expected some neat combat, cool settings and a hopefully good AI partner. Nothing from my past experience with Bioshock could have prepared me for the last part of Infinite. Maybe it's because I didn't think Bioshock 1 was the groundbreaking, revolutionary, milestone game others thought it was. I expected a lot from Bioshock 1, having followed that game since 2001 or 2002 or whenever Ken Levine started talking about this spiritual successor to System Shock 2. Even though I liked Bioshock 1 for a lot of things, I was bummed by how much it was like System Shock 2. For those that didn't play System Shock 2, I can understand if Bioshock 1 was a much bigger thing.

So anyways, I don't really care if Infinite is getting flack or not, if it's end up on GOTY lists or not. I love Bioshock Infinite. I love that it exists in a world where it shouldn't. I love that it's ambitious. And most of all, I love how Bioshock Infinite plays the game and simultaneously gives it the finger. Sorry folks, a big budget game like this couldn't have been anything but a shooter. But try to pitch this game to a publisher. Everything about the game is too crazy to even exist. I hope I'm wrong, but looking at the state of this industry, I'd say we're not likely to see anything like Bioshock Infinite for a long time.

#24 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@discoman: Yeah exactly Booker is a thug. Elizibeth says as much herself upon meeting him. It makes entire sense that a man with a violent past is going to use exactly that do carry out this mission he has been sent on. It really helps frame the character. And while I agree that there are far too many games where the only interaction with the world is KILL IT! There really seems to be a sect of people who come off as entirely hipsterish and trying to be openly "modern" and "progressive" thinkers by denouncing the violence.

#25 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5807 posts) -

It's the Internet, where everyone will never be satisfied with anything. I think it's fantastic though that a game has inspired this much conversation. It really shows just how far the medium has come. Yay for Video Games!

#26 Edited by Milkman (17034 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@discoman: Yeah exactly Booker is a thug. Elizibeth says as much herself upon meeting him. It makes entire sense that a man with a violent past is going to use exactly that do carry out this mission he has been sent on. It really helps frame the character. And while I agree that there are far too many games where the only interaction with the world is KILL IT! There really seems to be a sect of people who come off as entirely hipsterish and trying to be openly "modern" and "progressive" thinkers by denouncing the violence.

I haven't read every analysis of the violence in Infinite so I can only speak for myself. But the problem I have isn't with the level of violence, instead with the amount of it. You kill so many fucking dudes in this game. So many dudes. And in most games that's fine but when a game like Infinite is trying to tell you this hyper-serious, extremely emotional story which is then broken up by these sections in which you murder literally everyone and everything you see, it sticks out. I'm not saying that no games should be like this but there needs to be some sort of balance.

#27 Edited by Saethir (353 posts) -

To me it seems like most of it is the normal second wave discussion. For the first week almost everyone was riding high on just having beaten it and telling all their friends how good it is, discussing the ending, etc. Now it seems to be a mixture of people moving on to what could have been better (such as aspects of the combat, and a lot of story being hidden in voxophones), and those aforementioned friends finishing it and being kinda underwhelmed due to super high expectations of "Bioshock OMG play it so I can tell you about stuff!" from the first wave folks.

This seems to be the way that most games these days come out, but Bioshock: Infinite had a longer (and well deserved) honeymoon period compared to some others. I'm glad we can take our sacred cows down off the altar and ask what could be better about them.

#28 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

Video game "journalists" eager to show their readers how progressive and mature they are.

#29 Posted by SSully (4234 posts) -

This happens to every major release now, sadly.

No kidding though. The game comes out, people are really pumped and speak very positive about it, then slowly people start picking everything apart. It is getting to be very silly at this point.

To sum up my feelings, I think Infinite is a fantastic game. Like everything, there is room for improvement, but that won't stop me from maintaining my positive view of the game.

#30 Edited by Mageknight (122 posts) -

I think people are getting confused about the point of those criticisms. It isn't that the glow has faded, and they suddenly hate the game; it's that - as many of these writers point out themselves - the game is so good that the minor flaws become all the more obvious. Bad or mediocre games don't get this kind of discussion; the fact that Infinite is generating this kind of critical discussion only validates it as a great game.

#31 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

Infinite is one of my favorite games this gen, but I'm right there with them picking it apart and analyzing its foibles. Criticism is not the same as hate.

Why am I nitpicking at it? Because I want to see future games learn both what to do and what to avoid. I want the quality of Infinite as a baseline instead of an uncommon high. Neither thing is likely, but neither is impossible either.

#32 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@milkman said:

@demoskinos said:

I haven't read every analysis of the violence in Infinite so I can only speak for myself. But the problem I have isn't with the level of violence, instead with the amount of it. You kill so many fucking dudes in this game. So many dudes. And in most games that's fine but when a game like Infinite is trying to tell you this hyper-serious, extremely emotional story which is then broken up by these sections in which you murder literally everyone and everything you see, it sticks out. I'm not saying that no games should be like this but there needs to be some sort of balance.

You can argue that killing say 10 dudes over the course of the game would make the deaths have more impact and would be more "realistic" but would that be fun? At the end of the day they are still trying to sell a mainstream product here and weighty story or not its still a blatant power fantasy you're a dude who can shoot fire balls and electricity out of your hands.

If you give me all these toys and then tell me I can't use them then you need to be making another game other than a shooter from the get go. And , if people want that then that's cool I guess but I don't see how people loft these expectations on to a shooter and then wonder why there are still disconnects like pulling a vinny and looting and entire area while a urgent plot device is happening. I think Bioshock Infinite is about as good as its going to get for making a "thinking mans" shooter.

#33 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

I hated infinite before it was cool.

(or I just didn't like bioshock 1 and this looked too similar to bother)

#34 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

People are dumb.

Yes, once GOTY rolls around, I'm still going to be excited about this game as I am now.

Say that in december of 2013.

#35 Edited by SuperFusion (44 posts) -

I don't get what the game being violent has to do with Booker's character being a violent person. He is reacting in self defense (maybe a bit over-zealous in the execution), but the fact that the gameplay has violence in it has nothing to do with his past. The connection with his violent past is with the story; how he feels about the things he has done, how the other characters view him as a person AND how he views himself as a human being.

Put yourself in his shoes, and see if you'd react the same way as him if your life would be threatened and the only way to your objective was to dispose of threats that are shooting at you. Now, if your argument is that the game SHOULD NOT have as much violence than it does, or that it should not have been a first person shooter, than you're looking for the wrong game, and criticizing a game for something that was never, and probably never will be another type of game is a bad argument.

#37 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

It's really not that interesting.

#38 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I talked shit about Bioshock before it was cool.

#39 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

Welcome to every major release in video games. You can't just like something anymore, you have to analyze what it says about society maaaaaaannnnn.

#40 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

Welcome to every major release in video games. You can't just like something anymore, you have to analyze what it says about society maaaaaaannnnn.

or you just hate it because other people love it too much and it annoys you

I do this all the time, because I'm a terrible contrary person!

#41 Edited by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

@klei said:

@awesomeusername said:

People are dumb.

Say that in december of 2013.

I just said I will

#42 Posted by theveej (841 posts) -

It's the internet, when something is so loved and universally praised there will always be people who try to be cynical and critical about it just because of what it is. Now I'm not saying all criticism is bad, in fact most of the critical articles I have read about Infinite all say how good the game is at some point and then follow that with their criticism. For example that Lea Alexander piece, which is really just something, says that this sort of criticism is in praise of how good the game is (or something to that extend).

I would have really loved it if Infinite was more like Deus Ex with the player being able to go around the world and talking to npcs and having dialogue trees, more RPG elements and different ways to tackle the combat (stealth, pacificst etc.) but obviously its not that kind of the game. If it being a violent shooter gets the game to A) be green lighted by the publisher, b) be given a 100+ million dollar budget and c) sell more copy and have a broader appeal, then fuck it. Any pros outweigh the cons and I think most critics would agree with that sentiment if they think about it in the context of today's market.

Also look at Bioshock 1 and the gameplay there. The combat was god awful, beside the shotgun the guns felt super weak and the game was also very, very violent. Heck the "scene" with AR is in my opinion far more violent and visceral than anything in Infinite. I replayed Bioshock recently, and there are some really messed up scenes in there that kind of put Infinite to shame. At least Infinite had decent to good combat and gun play which was actually enjoyable. I get why people would want to criticize the violence and etc. in Infinite, but be realistic and look at the other games in the series and the market for context.

#43 Edited by gamefreak9 (2372 posts) -

I thought GB and other reviews overrated the gameplay I thought it was one of the worst playing games i've played in awhile(i've been very selective, only playing 5 star games and just very functional games) but that doesn't detract from what I think the game is worth, its still a 5/5 for delivering the most engrossing video game story... ever. It might even beat other mediums.

#44 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

@animasta said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Well, yeah. I was more referring to how game journalists tackle it. People on internet forums hating to be different is pretty much par for the course. Or, in our case, we like Dragon Age II to be different.

#45 Edited by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

@animasta said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Well, yeah. I was more referring to how game journalists tackle it. People on internet forums hating to be different is pretty much par for the course. Or, in our case, we like Dragon Age II to be different.

Hey, man. Dragon Age 2 was okay,flawed but okay.

#46 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11918 posts) -

@arbitrarywater said:

@animasta said:

@arbitrarywater said:

As a staunch defender of Dragon Age 2 despite it having some serious problems, I agree. But that's definitely not the prevailing opinion here on the internetsphere.

#47 Posted by BonzoPongo (111 posts) -

I think it's because your first play through is so terrific and you get swept up in the art, music and atmosphere.

But if you spend more time with it you start to get sick of the combat, start seeing plot holes, you just get a different perspective and nit pick.

#48 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1789 posts) -

Well I bought this game based on all the reviews and ended up a bit disappointed. It's kind of a natural thing to happen.

#49 Edited by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@animasta said:

@arbitrarywater said:

As a staunch defender of Dragon Age 2 despite it having some serious problems, I agree. But that's definitely not the prevailing opinion here on the internetsphere.

Dragon Age II defence force assemble! Fuck the haters.

#50 Edited by dr_mantas (1982 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@demoskinos said:

@arbitrarywater said:

@animasta said:

@arbitrarywater said:

Dragon Age II defence force assemble! Fuck the haters.

Sooo with you. Dragon Age 2 was good.

Also, the better the game is, the more you gain by trying to criticize it - in the crowd of approval, voices of dissent are easier to hear - and internet is ALL about being noticed.

Happens to every excellent game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.