Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

No HD re-release?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

With the plethora of HD remasters being released for PS4 and Xbox One, is anyone else surprised they haven't done Bioshock with 2 and Infinite in one collection? Did Infinite do so poorly tht they don't see it as being worthwhile?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Kind of surprised that Infinite hasn't had a rerelease, especially as almost every review I read of the game stated that the game ran poorly on the consoles, and that the PC version was the way to go.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

HD remaster implies that you take a non-HD game like a PS2 game and make it HD. Calling it HD remaster when you release a PS3/360 game on PS4/XONE makes no sense since it was already HD. If you want that bump from 720p to 1080p then just play the PC version.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

HD remaster implies that you take a non-HD game like a PS2 game and make it HD. Calling it HD remaster when you release a PS3/360 game on PS4/XONE makes no sense since it was already HD. If you want that bump from 720p to 1080p then just play the PC version.

I agree, it just seems like re-releases are popular lately. Last of Us, Borderlands, DMC, GOW, etc. Infinite's frame rate could definitely be improved from the console version.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By GalacticPunt
    It's Captain Obvious!
    It's Captain Obvious!

@dagas: Yes, people are using HD remaster as shorthand for uprezzing 720P games. Including the Bomb crew on their podcasts. We all know it's not technically the perfect term.

And reflexively telling everyone to "just play the PC version" is dismissive of the people who can't afford to own a current console and build a PC. All these recent re-releases of last-gen games to current machines shows that that is a pretty sizable market.

For the record, I did build a PC a couple years ago and played Infinite on Steam.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's two years old.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

Really doesn't seem worth it, its not even an old game. Also, its not dismissive of people who can';t play the PC version, the PC version is optimized super well, and will run pretty much maxed out on plenty of older hardware easily. The thing is, even the PC version, though it looks better, still has plenty of low res textures leftover from the console version.

If there are high res texture packs for it, then there you go, problem solved.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@crembaw: Last of Us was barely 1 year old

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stop this madness

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Yeah man! Remaster that shit!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@crembaw said:

It's two years old.

The Godzilla game is in desperate need of an HD-remake...and that came out last week.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA V too. Borderlands: The Pre-sequel.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crembaw
    @crembaw said:

It's two years old.

The Godzilla game is in desperate need of an HD-remake...and that came out last week.

Oh, god. That game was supposed to be so good. What the fuck happened?

@barrock said:
    @ballsleon said:

None of these were okay, either.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@barrock said:
    @ballsleon said:

GTA:V wasn't a remaster. That's just what the game would have been like if it had released a year later.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the studio is dead, who'd handle the remaster of it? Who'd even facilitate it happening?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@adequatelyprepared said:

Kind of surprised that Infinite hasn't had a rerelease, especially as almost every review I read of the game stated that the game ran poorly on the consoles, and that the PC version was the way to go.

Infinite had an option to lock the framerate to 30fps on PS3 at least. No idea about the 360 version.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If they were to do this I'd like to see it as a Bioshock collection. I'd love to play the original game again and never played 2. Seems unlikely to happen with the studio being very different now. Would have to be farmed out to someone else.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If they were to do this I'd like to see it as a Bioshock collection. I'd love to play the original game again and never played 2. Seems unlikely to happen with the studio being very different now. Would have to be farmed out to someone else.

For real, TakeTwo/2K could release a really awesome package if they were to release a Bioshock Collection with all DLC included. Also, I am a crazy person who kind of likes Bioshock 2 more than its predecessor overall. :P

Most of these HD rereleases get farmed out to someone else anyway.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@geraltitude said:

Yeah man! Remaster that shit!

I agree with part of your statement.

Dude on the internet... that's a beautiful thing.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shh! You'll cause it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Remaster" or "Definitive Edition" are probably the right terms, and technically it will just be a port of the pc version. This reminds me I need to play through the dlc still.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what's up, though I'd love to see that if done correctly. It's one of the few remaster collections I'd like to play.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: The 360 version did too, though even then, neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions ran at a consistent 30. Also, the PS3 version unfortunately didn't support 5.1 Dolby Digital...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ntm: From my recollection at least the PS3 version ran fine.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they lovingly worked on the first two games and released them on current consoles at a reasonable price, I'd maybe be interested. I didn't much care for Infinite, and it seems less "in need" of a fresh coat of paint, but I imagine if they were to do this they'd include all three games. I'm not really asking for this though. There's been way too much of this going on, and I'd rather see these teams be putting their funds and efforts toward new products.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@barrock said:
    @ballsleon said:

At least GTA5 added a first person mode to the game. That alone was enough to justify the re-release, it was a totally different experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball said:
    I am a crazy person who kind of likes Bioshock 2 more than its predecessor overall. :P

No, not at all. The gameplay was much much better. But personally I enjoyed the story and characters more as well.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@galacticpunt: But it isn't dismissive to PC users to claim that this game needs an "HD remaster", when the PC version already has those features? Oh, wait. PC doesn't count! I totally forgot. I need a dismissive macro image to remind myself what is dismissive, you see.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always planned on playing the PS+ version on ps3, but something always got in the way.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

@joeyravn: Why shouldn't those features be available elsewhere?

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn: Why shouldn't those features be available elsewhere?

Exactly.

PC players and console players both count.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:
    @ballsleon said:

What is wrong with a game being ported to a system it wasn't available on originally? Distance yourself from the idea that those are "HD Remasters" and view them as what they are: ports that also happen to take advantage of the capabilities of the system they're being ported to. I agree that in the case of The Last of Us and Borderlands, them being marketed as remasters is kind of dumb, but that doesn't really change their validity as ports of recent games to new systems.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: It bothers me because there's no good reason backwards compatibility isn't available on said system. They even use the same proprietary format. It's greed, pure and simple.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mamba219 said:

@ll_exile_ll: It bothers me because there's no good reason backwards compatibility isn't available on said system. They even use the same proprietary format. It's greed, pure and simple.

Are you talking about PS4? Because if so you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Having the same disc format has nothing to do with backwards compatibility. The hardware architecture of the PS3 is incredibly complex and notoriously unintuitive to develop for, taking emulation off the table as a backwards comparability option. The only other option to get PS3 backwards compatibility onto a PS4 would be basically shove PS3 hardware into the console itself, which make the box much larger and probably about $100 more expensive.

Anyway, you bringing up backwards compatibility shows you completely ignored what I said. Don't view these ports as things people that already have the game are meant to be buying again. The games are being put on systems that they weren't on previously and people that have those systems can now buy them if they didn't previously have access to them. I just don't get this idea that a port of a game shouldn't exist because it's already available on another system.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Yeah, it was fine. The 360 version wasn't much different. I got Infinite on PS3 initially since the GameStop I went to didn't have the 360 version I wanted; later on, when I noticed it didn't support Dolby Digital, that was a big enough deal to me that I felt I needed to get it on the 360, so that's where I have the game digitally and all the DLC. Then later, I got it on PC... It's kind of like Bioshock which I have on everything, and Bioshock 2 (which I don't have on 360). Yes though, from what I remember, they ran very similarly, though telling by Eurogamer, supposedly the PS3 version ran a bit smoother. I prefer the support of Dolby though over the few frames it has over the 360 one.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A full BioShock collection that was ported to the UE4 with all the DLC would be cool. Especially the PS3 version of BioShock 1 that added New Game Plus, higher difficulties, and balanced the DLC plasmids with the rest of the game. It would be neat if the other two games got that kind of touch up treatment.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the idea of people gagging for $40 re-releases of 2 year old games terrifying.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.