Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Not that excited

• 72 results
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By fjordson

^Yeah, I really hate all of this aversion to calling it BioShock because it isn't under the water. The "AeroShock" type puns are even more cringe-worthy. Since when did the prefix "Bio" have anything to do with water?

Given Irrational's past great games, it's truly stunning to me that some people are turned off by another BioShock from them. Not to mention only the second one in what will be 5 long years. Yet people get excited about annual Call of Duty games? Or Madden? Color me confused.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By graf1k

I definitely have some mixed feelings about yet another Bioshock game and the setting of Infinite. On the one hand, I like the idea of getting past Rapture and doing something else with the series and even while I find the "sky city" setting interesting in a sort of Rocketeer way, it also comes off as completely ridiculous while a city underwater somehow seemed less so. In the end, I really wish Irrational had moved on to a completely new IP but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt with this one and remain cautiously optimistic for the time being. I just have to wonder though, how far along the game is at this point if it's a 2012 release and wonder just what the fuck Irrational has been doing since Bioshock came out.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By fjordson
    @graf1k said:
    " I just have to wonder though, how far along the game is at this point if it's a 2012 release and wonder just what the fuck Irrational has been doing since Bioshock came out. "
    I think the long development cycle is a clue that this is going to be fairly different from the first BioShock. The fact that Irrational has been given ample time to make this game has me all the more excited.
    Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Kr3lian
    @Allprox: 1) I don't think saying that I'm not excited is pointless, it generated discussion along the lines I was hoping for (except for the overly defensive fanbois). 

2) I hope I better articulated why I am not excited.  I don't expect everyone to agree, that's cool.  That's what opinions are all about.  You should try to chill and be more comfortable with other peoples' opinions, especially those that don't affect you in any way.  It helps you to grow as a person.  Plus it will help you keep your blood pressure in check ;). 

3) When I eventually play Bioshock: Infinite - and I am sure I will - if the mechanics are fun and have changed enough to feel like a different game, I will be the first to come in here and say it's a great game.  But I'm an old gamer who has been around the block and have been burned often enough by sequels and retreads.  Is it not natural for my excitement to be lessened by that "Bioshock" title?
    InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By InKtOiD

I have to say the trailer was intriguing for me. Not really anything that new. The Big Daddy-esque thing that had a hear in it's helmet was bizarre. The first game was fun for me and the story was great to follow. The second continued the nice story and dove into some of the unknowns about it, the game play wasn't all there but the story was. Now we come to the third and it's set something like 40 years before the first game. The city in the sky seems like it could incorporate a ton of fun game play elements.

I'm not so much concerned about this. I'm more concerned about the Bioshock movie that is probably doomed to failure and mediocrity. And the fact that they have said there could be upwards of 5 or 6 sequels to the original Bioshock, a number that is frankly staggering and not so reassuring when you really thing about it.

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By deusdigit
    @HandsomeDead:  Are you critizing the game's science or are you criticizing the science fiction? That's almost like insulting a cartoon because it can get away with the impossible, It's animated and it has the right to do so. I think you are factoring out that not only is this game based on creativity and imagination, but there are plasmids in the game and its a huge part. we know ungodly human powers aren't possible. but it's a lot of fun because its possible in rapture. while i respect your opinion, the game isn't out yet and i think there is probably a good reason for a air city.

Snake eater wasn't the sequel/prequel "yes there is a 3" people were looking for at the time, but it still managed to bring together the compelling storyline and game elements together to form a solid metal gear game and you played as big boss and not Raiden this time. it wasn't a lazy prequel to say in the least, you insult the game without justifying a logical argument for why it was lazy or why it ruined the canon. nearly the same development team was involved as with almost all other metal gear games so i don't know what was bad about it.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By Jost1

Well,

you're wrong,

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By deusdigit
    @Kr3lian said:
    " @Allprox: I don't know who in this thread was ripping on Bioshock, but I will say that I did enjoy the first two games.  I actually like the gameplay of 2 more, even though the setting wasn't as fresh and the story wasn't as good.  I am not excited for another Bioshock game this soon because 1) I would love to see Irrational focus their efforts on another type of game, because they are a talented group of programmers that have done more than just System/Bioshock games and 2) I feel like there is a real danger that they are just putting new window dressing on a core mechanic that I have already played twice.  Maybe in two years, I'll be ready for it again, but right now I am not excited.  I simply don't see how my lack of excitement is "ripping on Bioshock". "
    Bioshock Infinite really isn't a bad name as people make it out to be. How many call of duty games have been released within the last few years? Quite a few! and to see that this is coming out in 2012 shows that they are in no hurry to rush this product let alone make it seem like they are cashing in.

While i criticize game engines sometimes for being overly used. example, unreal tournament 3, gears of war, too human ect for using the unreal 3 engine or modifying it. What do you expect them to do?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By xyzygy

I don't understand how ANYONE could find that latest gameplay trailer uninteresting. But I guess people have their tastes. I think the whole concept of being in the air offers a whole new world of possibilities.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#60  Edited By Jost1

I'm never gonna fucking touch Bioshock 2 it looks boring and i'm not interested.  Bioshock INFINITE is Bioshock 2 for me.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By RsistncE
    @xyzygy said:
    " I don't understand how ANYONE could find that latest gameplay trailer uninteresting. But I guess people have their tastes. I think the whole concept of being in the air offers a whole new world of possibilities. "
    This topic was started over a month ago when it was announced. There was no trailer back then and the only reason this is topic is so high up on the forums is because a few geniuses above revived the damn thing without taking the time to notice when the thread was created.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By xyzygy
    @RsistncE said:

" @xyzygy said:

" I don't understand how ANYONE could find that latest gameplay trailer uninteresting. But I guess people have their tastes. I think the whole concept of being in the air offers a whole new world of possibilities. "
    This topic was started over a month ago when it was announced. There was no trailer back then and the only reason this is topic is so high up on the forums is because a few geniuses above revived the damn thing without taking the time to notice when the thread was created. "
    Oh, my bad -_- I really need to look at posting dates more. I figure, since it's up so high, it must be a new and popular thread.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By RsistncE
    @xyzygy: Don't worry you're not the "genius" I was referring to haha.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By Hamz

Lets all get along now ;)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Hamz: Couldn't you have at least kept in my good stuff? My points about Columbia looking stupid were legit.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Hamz
    @HandsomeDead: My bad, must of got it as I purged the flame-post replies. Post it again if you feel it truly was legitimate and necessary. 
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By fjordson

Yeah, everyone should be made aware of wind chill and how it affects cities in the clouds.

Edit: Alright, I'm starting to sound like a troll. They're legitimate questions, I've been wondering also how exactly the city will work. What would stop someone from taking one of those sniper rifles from the gameplay video and just shooting out all the blimps holding up buildings? But I just feel like there are lots of things in the BioShock games that don't adhere to reality.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @Hamz: Don't worry about it. The law is a blunt instrument. 

But yeah: 

@deusdigit: From any point of view, Rapture makes far more sense than Columbia. A flying city like this just looks stupid and seems like it would be impossible to justify in the game's internal canon. I know nothing has been released yet but when you consider Rapture, the only real threat is the water pressure. It's too low down to be affected in any serious way by currents and if shit did hit the fan, they had the bathyspheres and the lighthouse to escape with. On the other hand, flying skyscrapers will obviously be affected by wind chill, wind speed and other weather problems while continually using ridiculous amounts of fuel to keep the thrusters running and if something does break, no one will survive and the collateral damage to the land below would be enormous. In a game as serious as BioShock, it seems like a step too far to me and is already ruining my suspension of disbelief.
    Jeremy_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Jeremy_x

I can partly understand the scepticism about Skyoshock: Even though the gameplay trailer was neat looking, it was nothing but scripts. Ken Levine (nothing against this man, he is probably the most capable man in the industry, leveldesign wise) is praising it exactly the way he did with Bioshock: That it will revolutionize FPS that it will be the most unique gaming experience ever etc. But fact is that the franchise hasn't evolved since System Shock 2 for me, it just became a dumbed down experience, complexity wise, more towards FPS with less RPG-elements. Ken is calling it emergend gameplay (where is the emersion under all those scripts?), but I can hardly see the groundbreakingly new elements of both Bioshock AND Bioshock Infinite. Still loved to play it, but it couldn't live up to the hype.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You do know Bioshock is pretty much just "System Shock 2 underwater" right?

Jeremy_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jeremy_x
    @FancySoapsMan:
    dumbed down "System Shock 2 underwater"    maybe, yes. The drastic reduction of complexity really hurt Bioshock IMO. 
    But again, this doesn't justify speaking of it as the new innovation bringer to everything first person.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By NTM

No, the game looks awesome. Plus, it comes out in 2012, you have no clue as to how it really will look. As for what it looks like right now? Awesome. How can you not want more Bioshock, just in a different and maybe even more interesting atmosphere? Dumb thread. People can't assume this early in, so there shouldn't be threads on "This game looks stupid" or something like it. It's a waste.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.