Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Of course this is a Bioshock game

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

What's with the people saying "this obviously isn't a Bioshock game, they just slapped the logo on it" .

That's the most narrow possible view to take on the series and it means you're either not able or wanting to see the bigger picture.  Bioshock Infinite, from what we know, appears to have ALL the building blocks of a 'Shock-series game: a weird, terrifying location, mutations, weird powers, closed community gone horribly wrong, human/mechanical hybrids.  It's a BIOSHOCK game.  Nothing about the name Bioshock says anything about a water-based setting.  It only presumably refers to the biological modifications that both the character and the enemies have undergone.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

As ken says, it's a thematic thing for them as a developer. To them Bioshock means saying "What the fuck? What the fuck is going on?What the fuck is this?". That along with the style of having 'powers' (whether they be plasmids or whatever they want to come up with). I'm up for that for sure. That style isn't a dead end nor overdone in the FPS genre.

Kindrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Kindrik

Agree entirely. Not to mention that I'm personally glad that we won't be going back to Rapture again. Couldn't bring myself to finish BioShock 2 and that was part of the reason.

Really looking forward to how they convey the eeriness of Columbia with the game being set in the day and with a bright color palette. It was easy to feel uneasy in Rapture because of the dark, dank, and claustrophobic hallways that looked like they could flood with water at any minute.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By BBQBram

Yeah, totally agree. Any doubt I had about this game was washed away after seeing the demo and the interview. And man, I don't care what's it called; in the end, how many games can actually say they are sociological critiques (besides being awesome on merit of gameplay, atmosphere and art alone)?! 

Objectivists are down, now let's aim for patriotic federalism! Edgar Ross can suck it. Big love for whoever gets that by the way.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By brownsfantb

I think it's definitely a "Bioshock" game but I bet if you could ask Ken Levine he'd rather the Bioshock name not be on the box at all. I guarantee that came straight from the publisher that for his team to get as much money and time they're getting, it had to have the Bioshock name on it.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By valrog

It's a Sky-o-Shock game.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By killer_meatballs

I loved Rapture because I really like that environment.   But, having said that, you can obviously see it IS a Bioshock game.  And to me, it being sunny and bright you don't expect (but obviously do know) what evil awaits you. 
    I can't wait for it.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Disgaeamad

To be honest, I still think it should've been named Stratoshock. It works in the same way that Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock, retaining the same type of atmosphere but presenting an entirely different location.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By fjordson

Christ, these puns/alterations on the BioShock name have to stop. "Bio" doesn't have anything to do with water, the ocean, Big Daddies, or Rapture.

And I agree with you, josty. Ken Levine's explained numerous times why it's considered a BioShock game, and says more will be revealed about why it's part of the series. If people choose to ignore that then that's their problem.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Disgaeamad said:
    " To be honest, I still think it should've been named Stratoshock. It works in the same way that Bioshock was a spiritual successor to System Shock, retaining the same type of atmosphere but presenting an entirely different location. "
    It retains the naming convention, but none of the brand familiarity. Joe Walmart isn't going to recognize that Stratoshock and Bioshock are thematically similar games both made by the same studio.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By unchained

It could be called "The Wonderful Adventures of Dr. Sky" or "Bioshock + UP yo" for all I care.  

They had me at the controllable crows.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Fjordson said:
    " Christ, these puns/alterations on the BioShock name have to stop. "Bio" doesn't have anything to do with water, the ocean, Big Daddies, or Rapture.  And I agree with you, josty. Ken Levine's explained numerous times why it's considered a BioShock game, and says more will be revealed about why it's part of the series. If people choose to ignore that then that's their problem. "
    QFT. The original game wasn't called Hydroshock, it was called Bioshock which conveys a different theme.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.