Possible explanation for guy in Lighthouse? (Spoliers)

#1 Edited by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

So I was in the Lutece Laboratories today in the process of my 1999 run and I noticed these pictures on a desk that seem to indicate that the Lutece's knew that guy in the lighthouse at the beginning was the "only one obstacle." Perhaps they then did take him out themselves or hire someone to do it to feed into Booker's rationalization of what's happening? Still pretty cool I thought but what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by BigJeffrey (5173 posts) -

I too saw this

#3 Posted by gaminghooligan (1479 posts) -

So awesome, I hadn't seen this.

#4 Edited by Gruebacca (570 posts) -

There's a theory that the first Booker the Luteces used was murdered by the lighthouse guy, working for Comstock to stop Booker before he even reaches Columbia. The Luteces then introduced a variable by killing the lighthouse keeper and made sure that all the Bookers afterward would walk through the lighthouse without any trouble.

#5 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3924 posts) -

I assumed he was there to stop Booker and the twins took him out.

#6 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

There's a note from Comstock to the guy telling him to watch out for "him" over a desk in the lighthouse. Then you see that picture at their house and it's pretty clear that they either took him out themselves or got someone else to --then left the "don't disappoint us" note which seems like a threat at the beginning, but reads differently later.

I think the only people that are confused about that guy just missed out on both of these details.

#7 Posted by Agent47CSim2 (1085 posts) -

@oraknabo: Yeah I realized that myself but it's just further evidence which confirms what we already know. Also I never noticed this the first time and It's amazing how every 5 minutes I'm noticing things I missed the first time through that were seemingly irrelevant but give HUGE hints to the ending/ make a lot more sense second time through. God damn I love this game.

@gruebacca: That makes total sense!

#8 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

There's a theory that the first Booker the Luteces used was murdered by the lighthouse guy, working for Comstock to stop Booker before he even reaches Columbia. The Luteces then introduced a variable by killing the lighthouse keeper and made sure that all the Bookers afterward would walk through the lighthouse without any trouble.

Eh, a theory based on no actual in-game evidence isn't much of a theory.

#9 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

The dead guy is Booker, that's why they put a bag over his head, so Booker doesn't see himself and create a time/space paradox. This is all indirectly confirmed in Back To The Future 2.

#10 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I think it's right on that the letuces killed the lighthouse guy, but my problem with that theory is the utensils on the table and whatnot clearly make it look as though the man wasn't just killed, but tortured.

#11 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

I think it's right on that the letuces killed the lighthouse guy, but my problem with that theory is the utensils on the table and whatnot clearly make it look as though the man wasn't just killed, but tortured.

Maybe that's how they also got the "password" for the lighthouse rocket? Unless they already knew it, since the Luteces know everything.

#12 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Holy shit, I never even saw that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.