Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

PS3 performance and Bioshock 1 on the same disc?

bobsully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bobsully

So I just found out that Bioshock 1 will be included with all copies of the PS3 version (America only), but what I didn't know is that it will be on the same blu-ray disc and not some dumb online code to download it separately. Is this a fact or just some rumor? I would love to have the original Bioshock on the same disc for no additional cost (Its $60 dollars).

Bioshock Infinite's performance is also a concern for me when thinking about how the PS3 version will turn out. We all know the 360 version of most games come out perfectly fine, but the PS3 version of cross platform titles suffer from low framerate, game breaking bugs/glitches as well as the game flat out crashing. Any word on how the PS3 version of Infinite is shaping up, as good as 360?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By probablytuna

I imagine you'll have to install the entire game onto your hard drive, much like what Ubisoft did with the first Assassin's Creed that got bundled for the PS3 version of Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Nekroskop

You can basically run Bioshock 1 better on a toaster than on the PS3. I recommend you play it on PC or 360. Even a low end laptop with a GT9000(Read:Old) can run it fairly well.

Edit:

In light of some of the posts below, I thought I'd point a few things out: The UE3 engine was very hard to work with on PS3 hardware at the time Bioshock 1 was ported to the PS3. After UT3, however, developers learned some new tricks and made the engine run almost as well as on 360 hardware.

You are better off with the 360 version if that's your only other option though.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got Bioshock on PS3 as well as PC, and I have no issues with the PS3 version that aren't present in any other version. I don't know where this impression that the PS3 version is the worst is coming from. The reviews I've read give it some grief because it has the same issues as the 360 version, as one assumes that they would have used the extra time to fix them - but it's not worse.

That being said, I'd guess that Bioshock Infinite will run better on 360. Unreal Engine 3 has always run better on 360, and I think that Irrational has stated that the game is made using UE3 as its core.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bioshock 1 will more then likely be on the disc cuz blu-ray yo, but you may have to do an install to play it. And i don't think we will find out about how performance until reviews get it. But if it is running on Unreal then it will probably have some minor performance differences, but probably nothing game breaking (at least i hope).

delusionaltool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps3 version will be best because it was lead dev console.

"PlayStation.Blog: How is work proceeding with the PS3 version of BioShock Infinite?

Ken Levine, President and Creative Director, Irrational Games: Look, I'm not blowing smoke here. We were Xbox-first for the original game, and now we have something to demonstrate to the PlayStation 3 audience. We love the platform. I have three PS3s at my house. It's a great game system and I love the kinds of games that are coming out on PSN.

The PS3 has a different architecture than we had encountered before, but because we helped port BioShock to the PS3, we've become very familiar with it. And we have a new engine for BioShock Infinite, so we started the game knowing we'd be on PS3. We started thinking about how to leverage the multiple cores from the start of development, so we're in a much better place this time on PS3."

But quote or not.. the PS3 version comes with the original BioShock (in the US, maybe all of North America), which seals the deal of the PS3 version being the best console version as far as the total package goes.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

I'm tied between getting this on a console vs. PC. Anyone know if the PC version is going to be leaps and bounds better than it's console counterpart or is it just a console port to PC?

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uniform

From the IGN review in progress:

Yes, Columbia is stunning from a scale, scope, and art-direction perspective, but on a raw graphical level it is a bit underwhelming on the Xbox 360 version I’m starting with. Textures are muddy and low-resolution and the framerate takes regular slight-but-noticeable dips.

So, if you have a PC that can play the recommended system reqs, go with that. I have the first two on PC, and was looking forward to also getting this on the PC, but unfortunately my PC only meets the minimum system reqs. Now I'm torn on the 360 and PS3, much like I was with Tomb Raider, and it just sounds like a lose lose situation.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@ttocs: They came out and said they're giving PC gamers a good amount of options and tweaks. Full DX11 support and all that jazz. Also the PC version is a whopping 30gb-ish, so they're not compressing anything.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PolygonSlayer

I played Bioshock on both the 360 and the PS3, both versions are totally fine and pretty much identical. Where this idea that the PS3 version looks like an Atari 2600 game from I have no idea.

As for how Infinite performs I don't know (wait for a comparison?), but getting the PC version myself since I now have a beefy PC.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll be picking this up on the PC then. I'm just a little below the recommended settings so I should be able to get the best out of that. I need to upgrade my dual nvidia 460's. Everything nowadays is looking for 500 series and up.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snail

@bobsully said:

Bioshock Infinite's performance is also a concern for me when thinking about how the PS3 version will turn out. We all know the 360 version of most games come out perfectly fine, but the PS3 version of cross platform titles suffer from low framerate, game breaking bugs/glitches as well as the game flat out crashing. Any word on how the PS3 version of Infinite is shaping up, as good as 360?

Frankly I feel that's mostly a problem of the past. Occasionally the performance may be slightly poorer on the PS3 in terms of frames-per-second, but it seems to happen just as often the other way around with cross-platform titles. DmC Devil May Cry, for instance, I'm pretty certain performed worst on the 360. That said, it may very well be that one of the console versions of Bioshock Infinite performs significantly better than the other, so I suggest you wait for reviews.

Though if you can get your hands on the PC version, and if you can run that just fine, definitely go with that.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm sure this doesn't make a huge difference, but Bioshock isn't a UE3 game. It was built on the UE2.5 engine which, as you can guess by the name, is in between 2 and 3

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@snail said:

@bobsully said:

Frankly I feel that's mostly a problem of the past. Occasionally the performance may be slightly poorer on the PS3 in terms of frames-per-second, but it seems to happen just as often the other way around with cross-platform titles. DmC Devil May Cry, for instance, I'm pretty certain performed worst on the 360. That said, it may very well be that one of the versions performs significantly better than the other, so I suggest you wait for reviews.

Though if you can get your hands on the PC version, and if you can run that just fine, definitely go with that.

I have no data to back this up apart from word of mouth but it seems like a majority of games perform worse on PS3 so it's usually a pretty good bet that the 360 version will play smoother unless the developer is strongly affiliated with Sony (aka had more time and resources available to learn the ins and outs of making games for the cell processor)

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snail

@humanity said:

I have no data to back this up apart from word of mouth but it seems like a majority of games perform worse on PS3 so it's usually a pretty good bet that the 360 version will play smoother unless the developer is strongly affiliated with Sony (aka had more time and resources available to learn the ins and outs of making games for the cell processor)

Based on reviews from the last two years, I feel that games sometimes perform worse on the PS3 and sometimes they perform worse on the 360. I guess it's safe to say that, nowadays, in most cases the performance of multi-platform titles is pretty similar if not practically identical across both platforms.

Again, I feel like this is mostly an issue of the past. When it happens it happens, but to anticipate such a thing is kind of a laggard attitude I think.

Unless you're talking about PS3/360/PC titles being ported to the Wii U. That has been quite a bit rockier, in part because that console is so new to the market.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Preordered PS3 version here. I'm also tempted to pick up a Move to try it out with the game.

Lukacevic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got Bioshock on PS3 as well as PC, and I have no issues with the PS3 version that aren't present in any other version. I don't know where this impression that the PS3 version is the worst is coming from. The reviews I've read give it some grief because it has the same issues as the 360 version, as one assumes that they would have used the extra time to fix them - but it's not worse.

I played Bioshock on both the 360 and the PS3, both versions are totally fine and pretty much identical. Where this idea that the PS3 version looks like an Atari 2600 game from I have no idea.

The idea that the PS3 version of Bioshock 1 is significantly worse comes from comparisons like this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-360-vs-ps3-face-off-round-15-article?page=2

Not only does it look worse due to the lower resolution and blur, the framerate is also less stable.

izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone play the ps3 version of infinite yet? My comp can't play it so I'm thinking of getting it on the ps3.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By turboman

Anyone play the ps3 version of infinite yet? My comp can't play it so I'm thinking of getting it on the ps3.

I'm on PS3. Couple of hours into it and it seems to be locked at a solid 30 frames except for a hiccup every once in a while during Auto-Saves.

And yes, the PS3 version comes with Bioshock 1 (in US). I haven't booted it up yet, but it's a seperate disc icon on the XMB. Don't know if you have to install it on your system or if it runs from the disc. This is now the third copy of Bioshock 1 that I own.

Cupids_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@delusionaltool: Wait, where in that quote does it say that the PS3 was the lead development console? It says they started the game with how to make it run well on the PS3 in mind, but it doesn't say anything about it being the lead dev console.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By firecracker22

Wow. Didn't even know that. It's pretty cool, too.

I already own BioShock, and BioShock 2, on the 360. I own BioShock 2 on PS3 because it was a PS Plus game of the week download. So, I guess if I ever re-purchase Infinite, it's good to know it'll net me both game.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukacevic: There might be a difference, but when I played them with about a year apart I did not notice anything particularly bad about it. They might have patched some of the "worst" offending parts, but absolutely in no way is the PS3 version as horrible as some of the comments make it out to be. I mean, if a few frames in difference here and there really is such a deal breaker for you, then you should consider playing on a PC anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.