Season Pass. Yay or Nay?

Posted by AcidBrandon18 (728 posts) 1 year, 4 months ago

Poll: Season Pass. Yay or Nay? (171 votes)

Yay 49%
Nay 51%

They are offering a season pass for Infinite and I was wondering your guy's thoughts on it. It seems like a good deal, but I kind of don't want a bunch of perks and whatnot. Could the DLC be good? Saints Row 3's season pass comes to mind.

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (11857 posts) -

I have learned that DLC can be extremely hit or miss, so, I'll play it by ear.

#2 Edited by zels (206 posts) -

Season Passes are about as stupid as pre-orders imo. Unless something is in a limited supply there's just no point to them.

#3 Edited by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

How the fuck should we know? But as a general rule, DLC season passes are a poor investment unless you KNOW you want it all. For example, if you really like Halo, then sure, you probably want all the DLC maps. Otherwise, I find that I just choose the 1 or 2 pieces if DLC that actually seem appealing.

#4 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

After Saints Row The Third, I'll be waiting until actual DLC before buying a season pass.

#5 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

I'm going to wait until all three pieces are released, if all three are decent enough chunks of content then I'll probably get the season pass, otherwise I'll just individually download the ones I'm interested in.

If they turn out to be packs basically just expanding the gear and vigors available to you without anything great in terms of story I'll probably give the season a pass.

#7 Posted by Zephan (48 posts) -

. Not sure I would be happy to have filler DLC, the way ME3 did it put me off.

#8 Edited by Tearhead (2162 posts) -

I liked the story and world so much that anything relating to it, I feel I would like to experience, so I bought the season pass after giving it much thought. I feel like I trust Irrational enough to give me some quality stuff.

The only other season passes I ever bought were for Battlefield 3 and L.A. Noire, and I felt like I got my money's worth.

#9 Edited by BeachThunder (11857 posts) -

In before nothing but combat arenas.

#10 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3219 posts) -

@zephan said:

. Not sure I would be happy to have filler DLC, the way ME3 did it put me off.

Think if they did release DLC for this game it would have to be prequel stuff. I'd be cool with playing the game with prequel stuff through the antagonists point of view. I know irrational didn't develop Bioshock 2 but that Minerva Den DLC was fantastic.

#11 Edited by Zephan (48 posts) -

@i_stay_puft Good point. Have heard many great things about that DLC for Bioshock 2. I'll have to try it one day.

#12 Posted by Village_Guy (2546 posts) -

Hopefully yay, because I bought it in a weak moment late at night after finishing the game...

#13 Posted by lord_canti (1509 posts) -

if its your first run through i found the cloths they give you with the pass fairly useful like the 75% more clip capacity or doing shock damage with a melee attack but as for the actual dlc we dont know what they will be

#14 Edited by Cameron (597 posts) -

I'll wait until the season pass is on sale for about $10. That's what I did for Borderlands 2 and that worked out great. As long as the season pass has a Steam code (which it does) then someone will put it on sale eventually.

#15 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I bought the season pass but they jury is still out on whether or not that was a poor decision. I'd say wait.

#16 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Hopefully yay but I'm sure that there'll be at least one dud DLC in the bunch as there always is.

#17 Posted by Humanity (9063 posts) -

Since they are offering a Season Pass that must mean they have at least 3 pieces of DLC lined up I assume and that's the most important thing for me.

#18 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (619 posts) -

After Saints Row The Third, I'll be waiting until actual DLC before buying a season pass.

my thoughts exactly. and waiting for it, maybe i can catch it on sale at some point even if they aren't the greatest dlc.

#19 Posted by galloughs (192 posts) -

I would never pay up front for something that I had no way of knowing I'd enjoy or not, specifically in this sort of pseudo-contractual sort of season pass way. I'd rather wait to find out if each piece sounds interesting, and buy it based on that.

#20 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

I would definitely pay money for more quality content based in Columbia, but I'm going to wait and see what the first set of DLC looks like, if it's good, I'll probably just pony up for the Season Pass at that point.

#21 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4339 posts) -

I'll wait till I hear more about the DLC.

#22 Edited by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

If you really want more Infinite, than you should probably get the season pass. I loved Saints Row 3 to the point that I was unable to see that the DLC wasn't great. I was just happy to be playing more Saints Row, regardless of quality.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8157 posts) -

Where is the option to vote "Yea"? That's what I would have voted.

#24 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

@zels said:

Season Passes are about as stupid as pre-orders imo. Unless something is in a limited supply there's just no point to them.

How so? If you mean pre-paying before knowing the quality of the content, then yes that would be stupid. But what does getting a discount for buying all at once have to do with unlimited supplies?

#25 Posted by OurSin_360 (842 posts) -

After beating the game, i honestly have no idea lol. I'll have to wait until they release the first DLC, i'd love to get back into the world, but not sure how they can do it well.

#26 Posted by Philantrophy (354 posts) -

Since I missed out on the early bird stuff I will wait

#27 Posted by zels (206 posts) -

How so? If you mean pre-paying before knowing the quality of the content, then yes that would be stupid.

That was my first point.

My second point was that incredibly early pre-purchasing (of both, DLCs and full game releases) would only make sense from the customer's point of view if the product was in limited supply.

#28 Edited by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

yeah i bought it, it was only £16. if it ends up being shit im sure i will get over the loss.

#29 Posted by mlarrabee (2929 posts) -

I bought it before I bought the game.

Can you tell that I trust Irrational?

#30 Posted by probablytuna (3626 posts) -

I'll see what they announce first, but after having finished the game last night, I'm definitely interested in what they're planning.

#31 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11642 posts) -

Season Passes are always a gamble unless you're willing to wait for the actual content to come out so the people who were suckered into buying one can tell you if its any good or not.

#32 Posted by dgtlty (156 posts) -

I normally don't subscribe the to the idea of a season pass for the reasons argued here already, but if you know you're going to buy the DLC anyway, why not buy upfront with a discount? I want more of this game. Lots more.

#33 Edited by eskimo (476 posts) -

Pass

#34 Edited by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

No way. I don't need more side-stories or prequel content for Infinite. I thought the game was fun but I won't play it again, the combat wasn't all that.

#35 Posted by syzygyeolith (92 posts) -

Against my better judgement, I did buy the season pass.

Having now finished the game, I'll be really disappointed if it's just new gear or tonics. Best case though, is it's something like Minervias Den, which I really did enjoy from Bioshock 2.

#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Damn that's a near perfect split.

#37 Posted by Chtasm (448 posts) -

Season Passes in general?

No!

Season Pass for Bioshock Infinite?

No...

#38 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

Pack 1: "Chesty Elizabeth" skin. Miss the more sexy Elizabeth from the 2011 E3 videos? Well now you can venture back into the mysterious world of Columbia, only this time accompanied by a more nubile and anime-esque companion!! ($10 / 800ms points, free for season pass holders)

Pack 2: "Trashman". Tired of Booker's cleptomaniac scouring of trash cans resulting in the same boring cotton candy and apples? With the exclusive "Trashman pack", Columbia's refuse and detritus reaches dizzying new height of realism with exclusive items such as half eaten sandwiches, melted milkshakes and rotten apples! ($10 / 800ms points, free for season pass holders. Rotten apple item exclusive to Xbox owners )

Pack 3: "Father Comstock's Heavenly Brawl-a-Thon". With the exclusive Brawl-a-Thon pack, re-enter the violent and brutal world of Columbia with your fully upgraded Booker and do battle against waves of Comstock's most fearsome creations! Includes INSANE Vigor upgrades like "Ultra Shock", which instantly electrocutes and kills any living creature within a 14 mile radius. Think you can handle THREE robo-Washingtons at once while being attacked by a Handyman AND Boy of Silence? Find out by downloading today! ($15 / 1200ms points, free for season pass holders)

#39 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Ill wait on it in case it turns out to be shit DLC.

#40 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

No just buy the DLC when it comes out that you want, why would you gamble on DLC for like 10% of the final price upfront?

I really would love the DLC to be something big, like you play as comstock creating Columbia and fighting off the Chinese, but I will only give them my money if it's worthwhile.

#41 Edited by gaminghooligan (1438 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

I have learned that DLC can be extremely hit or miss, so, I'll play it by ear.

^^^^^^^^^

OP said it best, Saints Row 3 burned me (still love that base game) so I'll wait and see. If we get another dlc like Minerva's Den then I'm on board.

#42 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

I didn't go for the season pass since I have absolutely no idea what the DLC is going to be, and if Saints Row 3 taught us anything, its that even good games can have pretty awful DLC.

#43 Posted by Pr1mus (3875 posts) -

Paying for bad content without knowing about it first hand is always worst than paying more later if the content turns out great.

#44 Edited by ottoman673 (507 posts) -

Yeah, but only because Gamestop threw in the Strategy Guide with art for free.

#45 Edited by Szlifier (488 posts) -

Can I pre-order it?

#46 Edited by Krakn3Dfx (2489 posts) -

I went ahead and caved and got the Season Pass because I read that it gives you 5 more infusions and Gold Guns, and I need those gold guns for my 1999 run. Only the most falsest of shepherds walk with gold guns.

I was kind of bummed that, although you get 5 more infusions, you have to pick them up at the Blue Ribbon almost at the beginning, and by the time I bought the Pass, I was already up to Finkton Docks. Maybe next time, on 1987 mode.

#47 Posted by CaptainObvious (2996 posts) -

The season pass comes free with the game in my country.

#48 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I will buy the season pass when there are two packs out and they seem worthwhile. I'm not going to buy content that hasn't even been announced beyond, "we'll make some things."

People here are down about season passes. I have no problem with them. It's a discount over the normal DLC price (or tends to be. if not, you're doing something really dumb by buying). The problem is buying it before you know what you're getting.

#49 Posted by Daveyo520 (6687 posts) -

I may have already bought it.

#50 Posted by Hzaife (160 posts) -

Not for me, just going to wait for the enevitable GOTY edition

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.