Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Severe Framerate Issues? [Radeon HD 7870]

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

So, I'm finally home from college and decided to turn on my PC to play Bioshock Infinite. Lo and behold, it runs at a subpar speed no matter what setting I have it on. My computer has an XFX Radeon HD 7870, an Intel I5-3550 with all of the drivers up to date. Does anyone know what the deal might be? It even chugs on medium, and my computer has maxed out the prettiness that is Sleeping Dogs. Does this make sense?

EDIT: So I just tried Sleeping Dogs for the hell of it, and that game too is running at a subpar framerate. I guess this has become a general PC problem? Can anyone help me out?

RainDog505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RainDog505

Typical troubleshooting tips:

1) Roll back all graphic card drivers and re-install them

2) Check GPU for dust accumilation or any signs of damage

3) Format HDD(s) and fresh install Windows.

digthedoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I have a Gigabyte 7870 and was able to run it at 1080 at all Ultra settings with only the very occasional hiccups: during loading sequences and the first time a zeppelin shows up and you fight it. Other than that it runs extremely smooth. Sleeping Dogs also runs like a dream at max settings.

Install SpeedFan and make note of your case/cpu temps as well as the video card temp that the AMD tray is giving you. Also make sure to run the Beta amd drivers. I know that sounds weird, but since they stopped doing monthly driver updates, beta is the way to go even from their developers' mouths. It is stable and you don't need to worry about it damaging anything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Try a number of graphics intensive games and see if the issue continually pops up. If it does, then the problem is not with the game but with either drivers or hardware.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

My first inclination would be to check PC temperature and see if there's anything going wrong there. I would check GPU temp, CPU temp, and if any of your fans are defective (although one defective fan shouldn't be that destructive unless you're overclocking). As with everyone else, check out the drivers and play with those to see any differences.

If it's a game-wide issue than my guess would be to check hardware first but it could be a number of things.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Disable Alternative post processing if you have it enabled, it's a high accuracy depth of field technique that can be pretty hard on a lot of machines. Additionally you can drop the shadow detail from Ultra/Very High to high, the top 2 tiers use a rendering technique in which the edges of shadows will fade away as they are projected out instead of being a hard lined edge (it also ups the resolution).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.