Song Bird in *SPOILER*

#1 Posted by Frain (6 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpmvkZ6TIMk

From the original Bioshock.

You can hear what I'm talking about fourteen seconds in.

Was this done on purpose? Are there any more things like this? Or did they just re-use the sound effect later in the development of infinite.

#2 Edited by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I don't understand what this is supposed to be alluding to.

#3 Posted by Frain (6 posts) -

The sound effect in the background seems to be the exact same used for songbird's voice.

It's possible that the noise was his death throes.

#4 Edited by Pie (7055 posts) -

That is really weird

#5 Posted by EuanDewar (4761 posts) -

Oh dude what the fuck that's mad

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I think it was a reused sound. Like the Dollar bills having the same sounding voice as the vending machines of the first two games.

#7 Edited by Humanity (8814 posts) -

For comparison

#8 Edited by Pie (7055 posts) -

I think it was a reused sound. Like the Dollar bills having the same sounding voice as the vending machines of the first two games.

But surely one of the central characters in infinite wasn't mainly made from reused audio? They spent 5 years or whatever making infinite and developing the songbird and then just decided that they'd use some audio from their bioshock libraries for it? I don't know man

#9 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@pie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

But surely one of the central characters in infinite wasn't mainly made from reused audio? They spent 5 years or whatever making infinite and developing the songbird and then just decided that they'd use some audio from their bioshock libraries for it? I don't know man

So the theory's I have are

• Ken Levine is a Time Lord, and went back and changed the ending to Bioshock.
  • Ken Levine planed everything out from the beginning, and now you have to question everything about System Shock. Because Andrew Ryan might be SHODAN.
  • Ken Levine (personaly I might add, because he did everything single handedly for this game ), picked a noise at random, editing it to sound just like the noise playing in the other game.
  • While playing their earlier games while making the sequel to the game, you know because its hard to make a sequal for a game that you played 6 years ago, they heard a cool sound, and came up with a scenario to put him in rapture.

Personally, just because of the way Ken Levine is excited about everything, I am inclined to think the first one.

#10 Posted by Milkman (16531 posts) -

Hooooly shit...

#11 Posted by Pie (7055 posts) -

@dagbiker said:

@pie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

• Ken Levine planed everything out from the beginning, and now you have to question everything about System Shock. Because Andrew Ryan might be SHODAN.
  • Ken Levine (personaly I might add, because he did everything single handedly for this game ), picked a noise at random, editing it to sound just like the noise playing in the other game.
  • While playing their earlier games while making the sequel to the game, you know because its hard to make a sequal for a game that you played 6 years ago, they heard a cool sound, and came up with a scenario to put him in rapture.

Personally, just because of the way Ken Levine is excited about everything, I am inclined to think the first one.

You're saying Infinite is actually about himself? I think you're onto something

#12 Edited by Humanity (8814 posts) -

@pie said:

@dagbiker said:

@pie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Ken Levine is a giant bird?! Wait.. maybe I didn't read the imagery correctly..

#13 Edited by captain_max707 (479 posts) -

I don't know what anything means anymore

#14 Edited by Thrillhouse87 (228 posts) -

does anyone here know how frequent those sounds are? I mean, if that is played in the background through the whole game, its only some creepy sound effect that happens to sound similar, but if you only hear it once... Idk, I want it to be a crazy easter egg, but I have my doubts.

#15 Edited by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -

Dollar Bill has the same voice actor as Circus of Value, but his lines are 1912 versions of the lines he had in Rapture ("Come back when ya got some money, buddy!" vs. "Return when you have some currency, friend!")

#16 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

As YouTube comments have theorised (and I tend to agree), this seems like a marketing thing. Why would IGN upload a random-ass gameplay clip of a 5-year-old game? And the audio isn't there in other videos of the same section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5fg8dxaS8

#17 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -

As YouTube comments have theorised (and I tend to agree), this seems like a marketing thing. Why would IGN upload a random-ass gameplay clip of a 5-year-old game? And the audio isn't there in other videos of the same section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG5fg8dxaS8

This.

Load up the game and see for yourself.

#18 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@psylah said:

@lackingsaint said:

This.

Load up the game and see for yourself.

So, it's fake then?

#19 Edited by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I'm playing through bioshock 1 right now to find out if it's true.

#20 Posted by golguin (3843 posts) -

That's too bad if it's a marketing thing.

#21 Edited by metalsnakezero (2288 posts) -

@pie said:

@dagbiker said:

@pie said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Ken Levine is Kanji!? It all making sense now.

#22 Posted by Hexterian (1 posts) -

I cranked up the volume on that vid and I can clearly hear it around 0:28-0:32.

My friend did a runthrough and swore he could hear it as well. I'm gonna do a runthrough as well to double check, but so far it seems like a legit sound.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.