Sprinting as DLC?

#1 Posted by AssInAss (2649 posts) -

You think it's a joke, but watch.

Remember the time we joked about how game endings would be sold as DLC? That's about as far-fetched we got a few years ago. Then that shit actually happened.

Now you need a speed boost to run like in any other game. What's next, reloading as DLC?

I have a feeling that trailer is straight up trolling, but considering how ridiculous pre-order bonuses and DLC have gotten, it's hard to tell.

#2 Posted by gaminghooligan (1447 posts) -

I can't tell if it's the sprint ability, or just saying that the sprint is faster with the DLC. If it's DLC that's pretty dumb.

#3 Posted by SlashDance (1815 posts) -

That can't be right. Has to be just a speed increase....... right ?

#4 Posted by GunstarRed (5189 posts) -

"From the makers of THE HIGHEST RATED FPS of all time"

#5 Posted by DeathbyYeti (744 posts) -

could be a terrible perk system like Call of Duty

Sprint longer/Unlimited sprint with these "exclusive" not plasmids!

#6 Posted by Crash_Happy (701 posts) -

Doesn't seem a big deal. Sprinting as DLC would be, but this looks like a perk/plug in system of some sort.

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2955 posts) -
It's probably just the Tonics from the previous games right? Don't get bent out of shape so easily, it's free with all new games.
#8 Posted by WasabiCurry (422 posts) -

It would hilarious and sickening if Sprinting was part of the DLC pre-order. I'll hold my judgement until I hear more.

#9 Posted by development (2350 posts) -

It's not 'sprinting,' as in a sprint button; it's just faster movement, both forward (sugar rush) and backward (evasion boost).

#10 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Looks like a bunch of useless stuff they could throw in so they could say they had a pre-order bonus. "You can run faster, walk faster and here's some in game money, please pre-order our game."

#11 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

I played through all of Bioshock 1 without any sprinting. I think I'll be fine without it again, but if what you are saying is true, that's kind of ridiculous.

#12 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

The "FREE" in the corner... You sure that they don't just give it to you up front instead of having to upgrade at a vending machine? Like it's in the game for everyone but people who purchase this start with it?

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It looks like its just making you run faster not the real sprint ability. 

#14 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

The entire push from developers/publishers to force people into buying games before they try or read reviews about them is gross. I kind of feel turned off about this game now. :-(

#15 Posted by oraknabo (1467 posts) -

I think it's just a preorder pack that ups a few stats by default that you will be raising during gameplay.

#16 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3872 posts) -

Its just a stat boost the same as you got from tonics in the first game.

#17 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

I just want the Industrial Revolution Puzzle Game to be a stand alone product. It this iteration's Minerva's Den.

#18 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

then what the hell is evasion about? Dude just walked backwards a bit.

I'm sure you can sprint in the base game, just maybe a litle slower. If 2K were really nice maybe that card is available in the base game but you need to search for it later on in the game world. We have yet to see duder.

#19 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

The entire push from developers/publishers to force people into buying games before they try or read reviews about them is gross. I kind of feel turned off about this game now. :-(

why is it gross. they're just trying to sell the product they spend the last 2 or 3 years making.

#20 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

why is it gross. they're just trying to sell the product they spend the last 2 or 3 years making.

I'm not condemning them on trying to sell their game. Their first game sold just fine (actually very well) without any shady marketing tactics. I'm condemning publishers on their tricking people into paying for things before they're finished, people have tried it, etc. They incentivize customers to pay for unknown things. People are burned all the time from preordering games. I'm not saying it's illegal because it's not. It's just scummy business.

You don't give the person at the checkout sign money for groceries that will be out in six months. You give him money for the groceries you're buying right then that you will take home with you.

#21 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I really hate how this game's marketing has been handled, no sense of wonder is really left after buying the game like Bioshock was, I feel like I have watched over 1 hour of gameplay over the various gameplay videos they have let out. This is the type of game where the trailers should of been minimal, I mean it's the true sequel to Bioshock, I didn't need all these gameplay videos and marketing behind it.

#22 Posted by VoshiNova (1691 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Wrighteous86
The "FREE" in the corner... You sure that they don't just give it to you up front instead of having to upgrade at a vending machine? Like it's in the game for everyone but people who purchase this start with it?
I'm going with this, seems to make the most sense to be honest. It's probably similar to say, the bone charm system in Dishonored. Small perks that you can find/buy and apply.
#24 Posted by Demoskinos (14839 posts) -

Its the same thing as tonics in the first game it boost the abilities you already have. I don't see any issue here.

#25 Posted by Demoskinos (14839 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

I'm not condemning them on trying to sell their game. Their first game sold just fine (actually very well) without any shady marketing tactics. I'm condemning publishers on their tricking people into paying for things before they're finished, people have tried it, etc. They incentivize customers to pay for unknown things. People are burned all the time from preordering games. I'm not saying it's illegal because it's not. It's just scummy business.

You don't give the person at the checkout sign money for groceries that will be out in six months. You give him money for the groceries you're buying right then that you will take home with you.

There are plenty of things you buy blind without trying them first. There is nothing gross about it they are simply saying that if you absolutely know you are buying this game regardless we'll give you something extra if you pay now. There is nothing saying that you can't wait until reviews because the people who DO pre-order already have their minds made up.

#26 Posted by Cyrus_Saren (536 posts) -

Having sprint as DLC would be incredibly irrational for them to do.

#27 Posted by Encephalon (1262 posts) -

I didn't see anything about them locking sprint behind a paywall. You are playing fast and loose with reality, sir, and I don't like it one bit!

#28 Posted by mlarrabee (2962 posts) -

@GunstarRed said:

Irrational can say that. Mind you, I don't like that 2K is taking vicarious credit, but Irrational can absolutely claim that.

#29 Posted by LikeaSsur (1532 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

On the other hand, with the insane amount of prerelease coverage most games get, it doesn't take much time on the internet to find out if a game is right for you or not, despite it not being on shelves until Holiday 2013.

#30 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

@Cyrus_Saren said:

Having sprint as DLC would be incredibly irrational for them to do.

I c waht u did thar

#31 Posted by ViciousAnchovy (746 posts) -

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Its just a stat boost the same as you got from tonics in the first game.

#32 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

So many people jumping to conclusions, maybe it just means you get that ability at the start of the game rather than having to find it in the game, just gives you a headstart effectively but is in no means pivotal to the game.

#33 Posted by Ares42 (2672 posts) -

The way it focuses on saying everything is free makes it seem like it's stuff you can get in-game either by being consumables or upgrades. So my assumption would be that it's just an early-unlock package.

#34 Posted by TheFreepie (82 posts) -

How disappointing :(

#35 Posted by BillyTheKid (486 posts) -

I hope it is using a play on words of "Industrial Revolution" to mock the "Revolution" DLC that is coming out for Black Ops 2 tomorrow. If they are really trying this though that is just shitty.

#36 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I really hate how this game's marketing has been handled, no sense of wonder is really left after buying the game like Bioshock was, I feel like I have watched over 1 hour of gameplay over the various gameplay videos they have let out. This is the type of game where the trailers should of been minimal, I mean it's the true sequel to Bioshock, I didn't need all these gameplay videos and marketing behind it.

id already played the first 30 mins of bioshock a dozen times before i even bought the game thanks to the demo. but that took NOTHING away from the experience it took none of the wonder away at all.

that being said i have only watched 2 or 3 infinite video over the last couple of years and have 'filtered' the content.

you only have yourself to blame if you eat to much chocolate

#37 Posted by AssInAss (2649 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

Its the same thing as tonics in the first game it boost the abilities you already have. I don't see any issue here.

People saying that it's like tonics in the first game, I'm pretty sure the speed boost in Bioshock was way faster while this one literally looks like a normal sprint speed in any shooter post-Call of Duty. It's not really obvious how this is a speed boost.

Maybe this would feel like a speed boost in Dear Esther, the walking simulator, but here in this trailer it's not obvious. Whether or not it's available in the actual game, this weird marketing tactic reminds me of free-to-play MMOs rather than a single-player game.

#38 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Looks like a bunch of useless stuff they could throw in so they could say they had a pre-order bonus. "You can run faster, walk faster and here's some in game money, please pre-order our game."

Exactly.

#39 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Miketakon said:

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Exactly.

I am getting the Super Songbird Edition. Chances are I wont use these perks at all. Might have to give em away. 
#40 Posted by Agent47 (1896 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@doobie said:

@wewantsthering said:

Isn't it places like Gamestop that tell publishers which in turn force developers to produce pre-order DLC(sometimes exclusive)for their games that way Gamestop can squeeze more change out of?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.