Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Stuff that bothered me about Bioshock Infinite

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

First of all, I have to say that I'm possibly the worst guy to give a new Bioshock game to. I had so much ludicrously fevered anticipation for the first Bioshock that actually paid off, that even the beautifully made sequel and its Minerva's Den DLC couldn't even come close. Infinite perhaps had impossible things to live up to for me.

I couldn't stop myself playing it. I literally sat down for a single sitting, 10 hours, one big beautiful generous session. When I stopped (actually the game bluescreened on me after the credits, which made me laugh), the sun was back up and the prospect of a workday was patently insane. I spent the rest of the day thinking about the game, its conclusion, and I got the gnawing sensation that while I'd certainly been dazzled, something was amiss.

I think Bioshock Infinite is an absolutely fantastic game. But it doesn't come close to the first Bioshock for me. The following post is going to be

spoilery

for both Bioshock and Infinite, though I'll try to keep the latter in vague terms. You've been warned.

The puzzle story (SPOILERS)

I'm not a fan of the puzzle film, or the puzzle book. The puzzle narrative. The one where all the way through, the elements are there for you to either piece together and get that burst of cathartic solution at the end, or the elements are there as traps for the narrator to spring on you; Ah-hah! Didn't see that coming did you! Bioshock Infinite is a narrative puzzle in a way that I found irritating. Not just at the very end, where they flip the table on the world and all the odd bits from the very beginning to the very end are set into system, but during the experience itself. The game simply will not stop screwing with you, and as a result, nothing in it feels consequential, or remotely real or immersive. It was Inception all over again. Eff that movie.

Bioshock was much subtler. Its twist paid off twofold. I'm not one of those that hated the latter third of the game, or felt it lost steam. For me Bioshock was a game about betrayal and family and belonging and I found the final revenge and ascent thoroughly satisfying. Infinite feels like Ken Levine is being smart. With every piece of immaculately crafted art, architecture, music, from the opening text to the conclusion, the game is clearly out to get you. As a result, I felt Columbia became utterly pointless. A museum of art to walk through and shoot dudes. The people in it? Could not care less. Infinite is one of the few games in which I never felt bad about accidentally killing civilians.

The game makes seriously shocking moves early on, confronting you with the hate and callousness that Columbia has (apparently) been built upon, especially when dealing with questions of bigotry and race, yet none of those topics wind up mattering a jot by the end of the game. It's "being political" because of the aesthetics of bringing up those politics, not because it really has anything to say about them. It's a real bummer

From about halfway in, I was regularly groaning at the story's willingness to not give a shit about itself. Characters come and go, are developed then discarded. Nothing felt connected, nothing felt real, and when the end came they might as well have cut to Booker waking up in bed. Which they sort of did anyway.

It's extra irritating to think of, when I remember the times when I was playing that I truly did care, and I truly did get chills, or feel a lump in my throat, and then at the very end all of those things seemed to just be "effects" in a story that would wind up erasing itself. I was left with the feeling that Infinite could have been a truly beautiful, evocative thing, had it only been less concerned with being so god damn smart.

I just don't think the payoff is worth the elaborate machinery that goes into preparing you for it. I would have taken a fantastic-yet-believable Columbia with a simpler story over this one, any day. It just never managed to get inside my head, or let me in. I was playing a video game from beginning to end.

The bland weaponry

So, taken as a pure video game, Infinite is a game about shooting men and women in the face. Besides the fantastic melee combat, none of the guns on offer felt much fun to use besides the carbine. I wound up playing the entire game using practically nothing but the carbine. I didn't upgrade any of the other weapons, because I didn't want to use them. The mid-to-long range nature of the majority of the shooting made the carbine the absolute obvious choice for me, scoring headshots from across the map, and, again like the previous games in the series, utterly useless iron sights are on offer. I never had a reason to use them, and I don't understand why the game has them.

It doesn't help that the vigors, the plasmid powers in Infinite, are just as obvious. There were several plasmids I saw little use for whatsoever, amounting to a cool effect that looked great the first time and then never had a reason to be there. Next to the Carbine, I spent the majority of the game using possession to deal with turrets and undertow to blow everyone else off ledges or yank them up close to casually shoot them in the head.

Perhaps I made a mistake, playing the game on medium difficulty? Could be. But the combat felt undercooked. Except for the few cases where skylines were involved.

Too few skylines

The single most fun mechanic in the game, for me, has to be the skylines. They are exhilarating to ride, satisfying to jump to and from, and it seemed like there were maybe 5 times during the game they were a real part of combat. They were always fun when they were around, but there were nowhere near enough of those times.

No vertigo

This is a city of skyscrapers and rollercoasters in the sky, yet the world is so cloudy and close you practically never get a sense of actual height or vertigo. You get to look UP at a lot of grand things but almost never down along them. It's a huge mistake. While Bioshock banked on the inherent oppression of the deep ocean, Infinite should have reveled in the precarious lethality of the high heavens. Instead it uses its scale to make even bigger golden statues and that's sort of it.

Sidequest design

I don't think it's a good idea, when your game is an almost entirely linear corridor, to have "side quests" that task you with backtracking most of the area you just went through. When you enter an area and find a locked chest, and then find the key for it just as you're about to leave, someone's asleep at their job.

Elizabeth not knowing when to shut up

This is a tiny thing, but it really happened way too often. I loved the dialog between Elizabeth and Booker. But I also loved finding the audio logs. So often I'd pick one up, hit the key to listen to it, and Elizabeth would immediately drone on over it about something. It made me miss both what Elizabeth said and what the log said, and I wound up simply not caring that much about the logs after a while. I really wish the script could afford itself to pause when my ears were clearly elsewhere.

So then...

I think Infinite is the kind of game that is almost too good for its own.. good. Everything it does well it does so exceedingly well, so friction free, that when moments of friction do show up they are disproportionately jarring. Contrasting with Bioshock, I'm left with the impression that Bioshock took me to a place, while Infinite wants to discuss what place is, and it just didn't tickle the same fancy. It didn't go far enough, yet it went too far. It wasn't "for me" so much.

But hell. 10 hours of engrossing shooting of heads from across the most lavishly beautiful horizons I've seen in a first person shooter for years is still about as good a deal as you're going to find. Anyone would be a fool not to play it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

You certainly have a few good points there. None of them overall made me dislike the game any less though. The only one that bothered me to the point of complaint was Elizabeth talking over the Voxaphones/Audiologs.

I had so high expectations for the game and it met all of them for me personally. Maybe I just had rose tinted glasses going in and never bothered to take them off. It's definitely taken the spot of my own GOTY. We'll have to see how The last of Us fares before I can say for sure.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

I've only just gotten Elizabeth but the only thing that seems a bit odd to me is the shooting. Like the first Bioshock, it still just feels a little off. It's not bad and I like the openness of the environments. But it just feels weird using the weapons. Like the aiming is both too loose and too tight all at once.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By maskedarcstrike

@sunjammer: I love the game but agree about the sidequest stuff, the first time I did it I said "ok this is functional to myself". The problem was whenever you got further along the game with codexes I just didn't find them. I found one out of nowhere and then by luck found a spot to use it after that.

Lock picks are so limited through most of the game you don't know when you leave locked doors behind whether or not if it's part of that optional mission. Which is strange since the game gives you a shit ton of lock picks at the end of the game with nothing to use em on.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I agree with everything here, other than I didn't experience the Elizabeth stuff. There were a lot of weird disconnects for me throughout the game, or things I wanted to see more of but didn't.

That said, the game was beaten 48 hours after I bought it and I still can't stop thinking about it, so the game must be doing something right.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Sooty

I'm glad someone else picked up on the weapons. That and the go into an area, here's 10 enemies mentality of the combat really bored me. I just wanted the game to finish after a few hours because of it.

I am tempted to go back in on 1999, but in a way the combat is so boring that I'm not sure if I want to add the frustration of the game making enemies even more spongey and me taking even more damage.

and that Lady Comstock fight was Human Revolution levels of bad.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder
    • I would have liked some way to properly save.
    • The skyline potential was a little squandered; also, it seemed a bit arbitrary where you could land from a skyline.
    • Why was there an upper limit to lockpicks?
    • I felt Handymen were a little too hard on Hard compared to everything else.
    • No way to disable/toggle hud.
    • In some parts where you exit an area, it's not entirely clear that you will be able to return or not =(

Possibly a few other things here or there too?

Also :( I am ultra-slow, I just finished it now, it seems like everyone finished it the day it came out.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@beachthunder: To be fair, I ditched a day of work to finish it in one day. It's not a tiny game.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Ya know what I hate!!!!!?

Toggles. Why can I only toggle crouch instead of holding a key? Why can I only toggle aiming down the sights? Why can I only toggle run/walk? I hate that!

Or am I missing something? Do kindly tell me I can make it a key hold command.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By MildMolasses

Lock picks are so limited through most of the game you don't know when you leave locked doors behind whether or not if it's part of that optional mission. Which is strange since the game gives you a shit ton of lock picks at the end of the game with nothing to use em on.

Wow, I didn't find that at all. Other than the first safe in the first area which I found the exact amount for, I always had a surplus of locks and I was opening a ton of doors and safes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.