The most immersion breaking thing in this game (No Spoilers)

#1 Edited by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

So, I loved the game. I finished it this afternoon and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. That said, there was a point where I went into one of the stores and there was an item named "Box of Chocolates"

I opened it assuming there would be chocolates. But alas, there was no chocolate, there was a sandwich and coffee. I took them, as one is wont to do. But still, they couldn't have put chocolate in the box of chocolates?

#2 Posted by Pudge (887 posts) -

Obviously it was an Oreo Sandwich Cookie with Chocolate Filling.

#3 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@ztiworoh said:

So, I loved the game. I finished it this afternoon and I have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it. That said, there was a point where I went into one of the stores and there was an item named "Box of Chocolates"

I opened it assuming there would be chocolates. But alas, there was no chocolate, there was a sandwich and coffee. I took them, as one is wont to do. But still, they couldn't have put chocolate in the box of chocolates?

Someone ate them all ready maybe?

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11994 posts) -

Yep, I was baffled by that too, surely they could have coded containers to have appropriate loot. One example I had of that kind of thing was a cash register with a pineapple in it...

#5 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

For me it was thinking of Kanji every time Booker opened his trap.

+ it feels like that guy is in everything

#6 Edited by cbk486 (181 posts) -

The amount of dead prisoners that I found with cake in their pockets baffles me.

#7 Posted by Zella (762 posts) -

yeah finding Coffee and vigor bottles inside of an almond box was kind of weird.

#8 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

I have eaten hotdogs straight out of the garbage can in this game on multiple occasions.

#9 Edited by coakroach (2491 posts) -

I regularly sprinted through trails of corpses eating pineapples and cotton candy.

It's all pretty fucking stupid.

#10 Edited by Karkarov (3133 posts) -

For me it was very early. I am in a store and I rob the register. It had a hotdog in it. No, I am not joking. I go outside and rifle through the trash can. 6 dollars. I almost quit the game right there due to immersion loss.

#11 Edited by TooWalrus (13220 posts) -

@sooty said:

...is that a problem?

#12 Posted by MikeJFlick (443 posts) -

Prisoners that don't react to you gunning down the guards(you'd think they'd be standing at the bars trying to get you to let them out)

#13 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

I hadn't even thought about it, but now it only makes me like the game more.

#14 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

In a game with tears into other worlds where shit comes and goes or changes, you expect containers to follow the regular rules of logic?

#15 Edited by NecroMongo (64 posts) -

The most immersion breaking aspect was when Elizabeth would happily make a quip about opening a lock, when a minute ago she was in tears and something mind-blowingly wild had occurred.

#16 Edited by Hector (3365 posts) -

All those tears Elizabeth opened up messed things up.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11994 posts) -

The most immersion breaking aspect was when Elizabeth would happily make a quip about opening a lock, when a minute ago she was in tears and something mind-blowingly wild had occurred.

Haha, yep; just after she was being tortured, I got her to open a lock, then suddenly she was all chipper and making a quip about lock-picking being 'child's play'.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5595 posts) -

The sandwich and coffee actually came from a different reality.

#19 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

Haven't played much so far, but grabbing a hotdog from a stand right in front of the guy who was selling and didn't even react kinda broke immersion for me.

#20 Posted by oraknabo (1471 posts) -

For me it's walking around in the non-combat areas with a gun out, pointing it in everyone's faces.

#21 Posted by awesomeusername (4194 posts) -

Breaks immersion for you guys? *Sigh*

Anyways, it didn't bother me because I just mashed "X" every time I rummaged through stuff. But it is funny finding pineapples in a purse.

#22 Posted by Milkman (16851 posts) -

Yep. Similarly, when Booker and Elizabeth would be in the middle of some sort of serious conversation and then I'd hit X and she'd just yell out "HERE TAKE THIS AMMO"

#23 Posted by MC_Hify (338 posts) -

"I killed an ostrich. And it dropped a boot."

#24 Edited by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
@sooty said:

This was almost too much for me. At some point I was fully expecting Booker to tell someone to "get bent".

#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Never pooping. Think about how much Booker shoves in his gob. Where does it all go?

#26 Posted by SSully (4199 posts) -

Man, people actual read the name of the containers they are looting? Any glowing objects in the world I just spam the F key with until I get all the contents, then move on.

#27 Posted by Gruebacca (521 posts) -

What's more concerning to me is the player character's ability to eat cake from rotting corpses and obtain health.

#28 Posted by Boobtank (29 posts) -

(Subtitles on) Seeing the word perogative spelled wrong as prerogative. Then looking the word up and realizing I was wrong.

#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5284 posts) -

@ravenlight said:

Never pooping. Think about how much Booker shoves in his gob. Where does it all go?

A tear in his pants?

#30 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@ghostiet said:

@ravenlight said:

A tear in his pants?

You are my new favorite person :D

#31 Posted by JasmoVT (3 posts) -

Seemed to me this was a direct homage to Forrest Gump: "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get." Why else would the box say "Box of Chocolates" rather than just "Chocolates."

#32 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

The SUPER loud footsteps at times annoy me.

#33 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

The whole scavening aspect of the game is silly, and always was - both in regard of what we're looting from where, and how important it is to player progression. Silver Eagles are essentially XP in the world of Bioshock Infinite, and the prime source of XP are trashbins, desks, random crates, you name it.

By design, the most encouraged behaviour is that of a bum, scavenging the bottom of the barrel for survival. I really hope Irrational gets away from this type of design in whatever they do next. Put XP and meaningful loot where it belongs, in the corpses of the vanquished.

#34 Posted by Oni (2099 posts) -

@seppli said:

The whole scavening aspect of the game is silly, and always was - both in regard of what we're looting from where, and how important it is to player progression. Silver Eagles are essentially XP in the world of Bioshock Infinite, and the prime source of XP are trashbins, desks, random crates, you name it.

By design, the most encouraged behaviour is that of a bum, scavenging the bottom of the barrel for survival. I really hope Irrational gets away from this type of design in whatever they do next. Put XP and meaningful loot where it belongs, in the corpses of the vanquished.

Agree with this, it's kind of annoying and takes away from a sense of narrative urgency a lot. Similarly, I love audio logs, but even when the story seems to very clearly be railroading me for a section, I can't help but look around for audio logs. But yeah the constant bum behavior is the most annoying design element.

#35 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

I don't mind. It's a bit sketchy, yeah, but I rarely look at what I loot. I just mash the '' F '' key like 99,1% of the players.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.