Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Where's the excitement for this game?

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrHadouken

I've been to several Bioshock Infinite forums and the chatter has been very minimal, maybe that's a good thing?!? I mean I am very excited, but I just don't want to know anything until I am playing, outside of what I already know from the trailers. What do you all think?

Avatar image for uniquelyterrific
    UniquelyTerrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By UniquelyTerrific

It's been a long time coming and there hasn't really been any new info on it or anything.

I'm still worried it's going to be a big disappointment. The setting and story stuff look good, but the gameplay makes it look like a really average, generic shooter.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Phatmac

It's the true sequel from the guys that made Bioshock. Ain't that enough?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not into Bioshock at all. I just don't like the universe and the gameplay they've created in those games.

I know people have been pre-ordering it to get XCOM though. Its been talked about quite a bit. Steam is desperate to sell a lot of this game, to the point of giving away a game like XCOM (the best value pre-order reward to date I believe on any digital platform, however right now it is only worth 16 bucks on Amazon) to raise attention and sales, they don't care, its not like it costs them money directly to have their code-spewing machine come up with some codes for people who put down the cash for this 60 dollar full-priced game.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think all the hype burned up a year ago with that sick E3 gameplay footage. Games are getting announced too early, and pushed back too much. It's too bad they can't keep things a secret and announce them a year out- tops.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: A very good point. Sometimes we know about a game 3-4 years before it is released.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This game has been so long in the waiting and delayed repeatedly that my attitude is now, put up or shut up. I love the original Bioshock and think Ken Levine is one of the most interesting developers to hear speak, but this game has been hyped for so long I'm exhausted by what more to say. Yes, your game looks cool, let people play it already. If its not done, then please stop talking about it.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

It is inside me.

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By asmo917

I was super excited when it was announced. When I think back to playing Bioshock, I knew nothing going into it, and I made a decision pretty early on after it was first announced that I didn't want to learn any more. I wanted to go in pretty blind, so I could maybe have some of those same experiences. It's been really hard to do so, mainly because there's been a ton of Ken Levine interviews recently and I find him fascinating.

Summary: still excited, just not consuming a ton of media about it and not talking about it since I don't really know much.

Boy, I wish those last ten words applied to more people on more topics. Specifically at work, but for life in general.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus: I can agree to an extent. I remember when my issue of Game Informer came in with, well bioshock infinite on the cover and the Tomb raider cover, both in 2010! I wasn't particularly interested in either, then at last years E3 I was finally interested in Infinite, then a couple months later after listening to a pod cast decided to pick up Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld, and that had me hyped on TR. It might just be me but I try not to get hyped until a week from release, even if I had pre-ordered it, since delays happen so often now.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am moderately excited about it. But due to the amount of trailers and gameplay videos we got recently I went dark on that and try to avoid any coverage. Maybe there are more people like me. I also will wait for the reviews to come in, I will not preorder the game..

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhadouken: Yeah, it can work either way, my point probably wasn't all that valid. I'm still pretty damn hyped for Bioshock Infinite, but I just quit watching trailers and gameplay. I'll play it when it's out, I'm already sold, can't wait.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By oraknabo

I certainly hear a lot of it from my wife.

I liked Bioshock a lot, but felt it never got close enough to the things I liked about the System Shock games for me to really love it. The story and plot twists were really great and I loved the use of Ayn Rand themes, but it was much more of a power fantasy FPS than I wanted and not the survival horror RPG it could have been.

There are a lot of intriguing things about Infinite though. Hopefully the world will be as open as it looks in the demos, but I think it probably won't be in the end. The demos I've seen with Elizabeth's AI look pretty good, but it doesn't look like anything Alyx couldn't have done in HL2:Episode 1 if she'd had some psychic powers.

In the end, I can't really complain about a well-written, well-made game with a good backstory, a unique world and elements similar to System Shock and Half-Life games I love. I will be getting it at full price unless the day-one reviews are surprisingly negative but I'm not exactly jumping around with excitement over it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

No one should need any message board innane chatter about anything to feel excitement for it. Personally, I don't think great games generally have giant pre-release hype but have giant post release hype. If Bioshock Infinite is very good, I'll play it after release and then write up something big on a message board post not before it.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Winternet

It's weird, though, how the game comes out in the middle of PAX and GDC. I mean, didn't they know about those events when they decided on a date? The media and the video game crowd attention will be split among all of these. Put the game on any other week and Infinite would be the main attraction.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been sporting an excitement boner for months. It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering seeking medical attention.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

My tv broke this morning so now, I'm tempering my excitement until I get a new one.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Right Here.

Wooo!

It doesn't look world changing so I'm waiting for reviews.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

I can't wait to play it and I will get it, unless it turns out to be an on fire shit show. It has just been in the making and announced a long time ago, that is probably the biggest problem.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i feel like everyone is just waiting now to see how the full product comes out as this game will probably live or die by the story. and the story has been kept under wraps.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This game was announced like 3 years ago, people just want it to come out already. You can only talk about something for so long until it turns into duke nukem forever.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ign are all excited, excited about putting their review out 4 days earlier than anyone else :-P

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The excitement will return if it's reviewed well, but like others have said, announced too early, so the hype train dried out.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tylea002 said:

The excitement will return if it's reviewed well, but like others have said, announced too early, so the hype train dried out.

Exactly this i think.

But i am still very excited, i loved Bioshock and i though Bioshock 2 was pretty good aswell. Prepurchased it, and i dont really do that a whole lot.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I've been waiting too long for it. As of right now, It's not even on my list to pick up. But give it a few days and after the positive chatter sinks in. Ill probably get it

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'M EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

In my pants.

Don't judge :(

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I'm not into Bioshock at all. I just don't like the universe and the gameplay they've created in those games.

I know people have been pre-ordering it to get XCOM though. Its been talked about quite a bit. Steam is desperate to sell a lot of this game, to the point of giving away a game like XCOM (the best value pre-order reward to date I believe on any digital platform, however right now it is only worth 16 bucks on Amazon) to raise attention and sales, they don't care, its not like it costs them money directly to have their code-spewing machine come up with some codes for people who put down the cash for this 60 dollar full-priced game.

That's not Steam (or Valve)'s initiative... it's Take-Two's. They did the same thing for XCOM when it was coming out: they had a pre-order bar thing and gave away Civ5 for those who pre-ordered the game (on top of many other perks).

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to me that the delay squashed most of the hype that was built up. At this point I am waiting on reviews and word-of-mouth to get excited about it again.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It ran out ~4000 trailers ago. They have been talking about this game way too long already.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zaccheus

@cmblasko said:

It seems to me that the delay squashed most of the hype that was built up. At this point I am waiting on reviews and word-of-mouth to get excited about it again.

I was going to write that, but now I don't have to. Thanks.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravenlight said:

I've been sporting an excitement boner for months. It's getting to the point where I'm seriously considering seeking medical attention.

Did you tried excitement masturbating or having excitement sex? Maybe that'll calm down your excitement boner.

Also: excitement!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just pre-ordered it on steam. Even if it turn out bad (which I think is unlikely) I still get XCOM which I wanted to try, but wouldn't normally purchase, and sick TF2 hats!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jimmyfenix

im looking forward to it but in general most games nowadays have no excitement before hand but still mange to sell well for example tomb raider. the only things people talked about that game was how it was an uncharted rip off and now it is enjoying very good sales

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.