Why Bioshock?

#1 Edited by Agent47 (1898 posts) -

EDIT: Thanks for all the useless answers people but I figured it out. Apparently the title Infinite refers to an idea that all Bioshock games take place in a fantasical setting and require many abilities and tools to survive in their enviroments.

I know there is a thread talking about the Infinite title but I want to talk about the Bioshock title.
Simply put....why?They've said it will have no connection to Bioshock 1 that it is set in it's own universe.Hell the plasmids are renamed vigors.They replaced Big daddies with....well I forgot their name but you know what I mean.I mean they basically did everything they did from System Shock to Bioshock.
Modules were changed into Plasmids,SHODAN became Andrew Ryan etc. now they are doing the same.So why not change the title if like they said "It is so different"?

Did they just slap on Bioshock cause they would get more sales?Though wouldn't a new IP be more exciting?They could just call it something else and I would buy into it, they are right it is so different it doesn't deserve the Bioshock title.It just makes me think that they are lying and it IS connected to Bioshock in some way.Andrew Ryan Cameo?Who knows.
I personally think that Infinite would be a fine title on it's own but I guess they just couldn't come up with a title with Shock at the end.

#2 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5834 posts) -

$$$$$$$$$$$$

#3 Posted by Barrock (3536 posts) -

Because it will sell more with the Bioshock name attached. And it honestly wouldn't surprise me if there truly is a connection to the original Bioshock towards the end of the game. Some sort of twist that they obviously don't want to give away.

#4 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Because it's a strong brand and the game has thematic similarities.

#5 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5426 posts) -

@Agent47: I think it is explained in this interview with Ken Levine.

#6 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

It's a valued brand, that's why. Similar themes, save dev team, slap a known name on it and it has better chances of success.

#7 Posted by Zippedbinders (999 posts) -

Because that logo they made for it looks awesome.

#8 Posted by Agent47 (1898 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe: What?I saw that video like twice and I didn't hear any talk of that.At what time?
#9 Posted by Agent47 (1898 posts) -
@Barrock: Yeah that's what I said but don't they think a new IP would make people more interested I know I would.If they at least kept plasmids I would understand it but when they decided to call it vigors I got so confused.They are trying hard to be different so why keep Bioshock?Why Levine!?
#10 Posted by theQman121 (86 posts) -

That gets addressed right at about 3 or 4 minutes into the interview, but all in all, I think that the keeping of the BioShock name boils down to two things. 

1) Brand Recognition. People know the Bioshock name and are more likely to buy a game with a name they recognize than a new IP they've never heard of. This doesn't hold true for everyone, but for the large number of people who only know what games are out by friend hearsay or looking on store shelves. If they just happen to see a new Bioshock game on the shelves, they're more likely to pick it up than a franchise they haven't heard of.

2) Thematic and gameplay elements. This is mentioned at the beginning of the Ken Levine interview. Pretty much summed up: Powers and Guns. It plays like a Bioshock game, even with its differences. To release a new game with Bioshock-like gameplay and not call it Bioshock might make some people feel like it was just a knock-off or make people even wonder why they didn't just call it Bioshock. Sure, Plasmids have been renamed, but they're still crazy powers.

Long story short, I think calling it something new could have made sense, but I feel like calling it Bioshock makes just as much sense.

#11 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

Ken Levine has explained this over and over since the game has been announced. Why are people still asking that question?

#12 Posted by wealllikepie (757 posts) -

also because its spiritually supposed to be like bioshock, meaning it puts you in an unusual environment with player choice bla bla bla. tbh its true they might as well have called it system shock 3 or something

#13 Posted by imsh_pl (3296 posts) -

It's a valued brand, and it also has the same steampunky vibe to it.

#14 Edited by Unchained (1081 posts) -

Because 2k knew the brand was a seller and didn't want to go to the expense of trying to publicize "From the creators of Bioshock!" for a new IP.

#15 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Because Bioshock is a commodity, not _____shock. Though Ken might want to just do the Crytech thing and work "shock" into every title and hope people pick up on that, publishers aren't so subtle.

#16 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't forget the € € € € € € € € €

#17 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@Mr_Skeleton said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Don't forget the € € € € € € € € €

and the £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £
#18 Posted by Jimbo (9819 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#19 Edited by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

@FancySoapsMan said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

#20 Edited by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

So, if Levine isn't making X-Com, who is? Is it still an Irrational title?

#21 Posted by President_Barackbar (3462 posts) -

@MiamiRedHawks said:

So, if Levine isn't making X-Com, who is? Is it still an Irrational title?

Its a 2K Marin title.

#22 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

In terms of brand recognition, yes it will drive the game's sales up. But then again, who are we to say what's Bioshock and what's not? It's Ken Levine and Irrational Games' thing (and 2K's), so they can do whatever they want with the franchise. Now we know Bioshock isn't just about Rapture and Andrew Ryan and Big Daddies, it's a much larger universe (if the games are even connected other than the name itself). And from what I can tell all the gameplay mechanics and stuff is still pretty much what I remember of Bioshock. Anyways, I'm very interested in playing it regardless of the title.

#23 Posted by Shady1992 (160 posts) -

As others have said; it sells more with "Bioshock" in the title 

Its a shame, Bioshock was for all intents and purposes a terrible game, but I enjoyed its story, and all the stylized political drama etc.  It was nice to see a "Story Driven" game that wasn't some BioWare title with the same 7 BioWare characters copy-pasted into a different setting.   

Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless exercise in futility, I didn't buy it, and I won't buy this.  If they really want to milk the cash cow they should just make a Call of Duty style DOOM clone set underwater, and stop dancing around the issue

#24 Posted by hexx462 (506 posts) -

All things said it isn't that big of a deal, if Bioshock is the name Irrational has to use in order to make great original titles then I don't care. It's just a name and has no impact on the final product, will anyone care once the game is out?

#25 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -

Ummm...why do you think the company is called "irratinal games" :D?
#26 Posted by PenguinDust (12532 posts) -

While there are general themes to be found in the earlier Bioshock games and the forthcoming Infinite, I think it mostly has to do with money.  What's really funny is listening to the people who made Prey 2 explain why their game is called "Prey" when it has almost nothing to do with the original.  Name recognition goes a long way even when the sequel has little to do with the first one. 

#27 Posted by damswedon (3194 posts) -

Same reason why Bioshock used the Shock name from System Shock.

There are core themes of all 5 games that are found in all of them.

#28 Posted by WarlordPayne (700 posts) -
@PenguinDust: We have no idea how much of a connection Prey 2 is going to have with the first game.  They've said that Tommy will be in it and will be important to the story so we're just going to have to wait and see how it all fits together.
#29 Posted by fox01313 (5074 posts) -

Considering we have little to no clue on what the mainland is like, it's easy to think that Infinite & Bioshock could exist in the same planet as they are rather separated from the rest of the world so things could have developed quite differently. It's quite less crazy than what was done with Final Fantasy where it's impossible to tell which planets/time all these games are going on in relation to each other. Also if you don't like the ideas or plans on Infinite, there's not a gun to your head forcing you to play it but I think that if you base your opinions on Infinite without trying it when it comes out is a bit much.

#30 Posted by YoctoYotta (541 posts) -

@Agent47 said:

I personally think that Infinite would be a fine title on it's own but I guess they just couldn't come up with a title with Shock at the end.

Heck, to that effect, I kind of like the sound of Infinite Shock.

#31 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

The connection seems to be like that between Final Fantasies: different places, different characters, but similar mechanics and themes. 

#32 Edited by PenguinDust (12532 posts) -
@WarlordPayne:  Yeah, I guess I exaggerated a bit.  I have heard that Tommy is in part of it and the main character gets abducted in the opening, but there are no portals, no spirit-walks, no inverse gravity, and no Native American mythology.  At least that's what people in the games press are currently reporting.  They're not saying it's not a cool game, they just seem to highlight all the icons from the original that are missing in the new sequel.  It's as if the developers built a game then later grafted on these Prey points to make it salient to calling it "Prey 2".
#33 Posted by BBQBram (2238 posts) -

@Red said:

The connection seems to be like that between Final Fantasies: different places, different characters, but similar mechanics and themes.

This. It's not that hard.

#34 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Dollars.

And Bioshock are about Utopias gone wrong. I think it's totally ok.

#35 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Bio + shock = Bioshock. Makes sense to me.

You get your powers by 'shocking' your 'bio', just like in the last couple games. I don't think the name Bioshock has anything to do with Rapture. It's all about your powers.

#36 Posted by laserbolts (5323 posts) -
@Shady1992
As others have said; it sells more with "Bioshock" in the title 

Its a shame, Bioshock was for all intents and purposes a terrible game, but I enjoyed its story, and all the stylized political drama etc.  It was nice to see a "Story Driven" game that wasn't some BioWare title with the same 7 BioWare characters copy-pasted into a different setting.   

Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless exercise in futility, I didn't buy it, and I won't buy this.  If they really want to milk the cash cow they should just make a Call of Duty style DOOM clone set underwater, and stop dancing around the issue
I disagree I thought bioshock was a lot of fun to play and bioshock 2 was even better. Saying they are milking a cash cow with this new game is probably the dumbest thing I have read in the last month on these forums.
#37 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@Shady1992 said:

As others have said; it sells more with "Bioshock" in the title Its a shame, Bioshock was for all intents and purposes a terrible game, but I enjoyed its story, and all the stylized political drama etc. It was nice to see a "Story Driven" game that wasn't some BioWare title with the same 7 BioWare characters copy-pasted into a different setting. Bioshock 2 seemed like a pointless exercise in futility, I didn't buy it, and I won't buy this. If they really want to milk the cash cow they should just make a Call of Duty style DOOM clone set underwater, and stop dancing around the issue

Bioshock 2, I can understand what you're going for. But saying Infinite is a cash in? That's absurd. Even if it was, look how good it looks. The graphics look good, the gameplay looks like it adds a whole new element to verticality, and the story looks like they actually tried.

#38 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

If games is good enough... Who FUCKING CARES !?

I bet people would be bitching equally or wrost if they were doing a direct sequel - Imagine Bioshock 3 -

#39 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I actually prefer the Series Name: Subtitle method to endless numbered sequels - also it gives Devs the room to toy with their universes a bit while maintaining thematic elements.

#40 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Let's face it. If it wasn't called Bioshock, none of us would be very interested.

#41 Posted by perilator666 (471 posts) -

the real question is why was bioshock 2 called bioshock. this is at least made by the same dudes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.