Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock Infinite

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Mar 26, 2013

The third game in the BioShock series leaves the bottom of the sea behind for an entirely new setting - the floating city of Columbia, circa 1912. Come to retrieve a girl named Elizabeth, ex-detective Booker DeWitt finds more in store for him there than he could ever imagine.

Why call it BioShock, though?

• 58 results
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BombKareshi

I had been avoiding this news for a while due to not having finished Bioshock 2, but now that I've read about Infinite I'm filled with excitement about this new game. There's a question lingering in my mind, though. It seems like such a departure from the first two games, so why call it "BioShock" as opposed to some other sort of "Shock"?

Looking back, there was System Shock and System Shock 2 set in space. Then, along came BioShock and BioShock 2 set under the sea. Since they're moving into the skies now, and the plot seems unrelated to the original, the time seems ripe to introduce another title change.

Does the "Bio" in BioShock imply that this game will also centre on biological developments, and that is enough reason for them to keep the title? Or are they wary of a title change because of marketing reasons? Some might take it as a hint at the possibility that this story does take place in the same universe as BioShock after all. Or perhaps they are basing their naming convention on something else, such as time (System Shock in the future, BioShock in the past) or style (System Shock is cyber-ish, BioShock is steampunk)?

Whatever the case, I can't wait to see what this game has to offer!

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By beej
    @BombKareshi: probably because someone in marketing at some point went up to Ken Levine and said "Ken the name you have is great, but we're gonna need you to stick bioshock in there somewhere, that way we can make money through name recognition." 
    That makes the most sense honestly, I think that point was even mentioned in one of the bombcasts or something.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think they just wanted to reference that the game was a spiritual successor to System Shock and wanted to show that it was largely themed around biological modifications.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I always kinda thought the game Bioshock should have been called Rapture, or something similar. Bioshock seems like more of a franchise name. But in reality, this is just really a marketing thing unless it heavily revolves around source material from Bioshock, which i highly and hopefully doubt.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

May be down to marketing purposes, while also conveniently under the excuse that it's apart of the overall Universe. 

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Romination
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " I always kinda thought the game Bioshock should have been called Rapture, or something similar. Bioshock seems like more of a franchise name. But in reality, this is just really a marketing thing unless it heavily revolves around source material from Bioshock, which i highly and hopefully doubt. "
    Word. Ryan better not be in there. In fact, none of Rapture should be there. 

I think it's because a lot of the themes are similar too, such as tackling an ideology and being in such a fantastic, unlikely setting. System Shock was set in a spaceship, which kind of harrows compared to the creativity seen in Rapture and Olympia. Plus, even the names of the places have similar ideas behind them...
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Abyssfull said:
    "  May be down to marketing purposes, while also convenient under the excuse that it's apart of the overall Universe.  "
    In the interview with Kevin Levine, he pretty much says that naming it bioshock and incorporating some form of a big daddy was the very least that marketing was making them do. He's not 100% for the idea either, but he seems pretty dead-set on making the game as great as it can be. 

So yeah. Marketing. Money is money.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By carlthenimrod

Because it sounds cool. As simple and dumb as it sounds that is what I think it comes down to.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By foggel

The same reason why both Black ops and Modern warfare has the name Call of Duty attached to it: Consumer associations. Call of duty is a sign of quality, not story more or less. Atleast, that is probably the purpose of usage anyhoo... by reading Bioshock you get a sense of what to expect, and since it's familiar and previous experiences most likely have been positive, chances of purchase increases. There's also an aready existing awareness of the product in the market, so that less resources is needed to increase it. And by making it a franchise there's a chance of developing brand loyalty. Also, it's easier to spot in the shelves, as something familiar.

If you're interested:
    Brand equity

I could go on, but I guess most would just TL;DR me :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggel said:
    " The same reason why both Black ops and Modern warfare has the name Call of Duty attached to it: Consumer associations. Call of duty is a sign of quality, not story more or less. Atleast, that is probably the purpose of usage anyhoo... by reading Bioshock you get a sense of what to expect, and since it's familiar and previous experiences most likely have been positive, chances of purchase increases. There's also an aready existing awareness of the product in the market, so that less resources is needed to increase it. And by making it a franchise there's a chance of developing brand loyalty. Also, it's easier to spot in the shelves, as something familiar.

If you're interested:
    Brand equity  I could go on, but I guess most would just TL;DR me :P "
    TL;DR 

But seriously. This. 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skald

AeroShock 

That would kick so much ass.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptChiken

Its all about name recognition.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mordukai
    @Abyssfull said:
    "  May be down to marketing purposes, while also conveniently under the excuse that it's apart of the overall Universe.  "
    Levin never really confirmed that Infinite is taking place with in the same universe as Bioshock. Although when asked about he was a bit dodgy about it which could mean that it has some sort of a connection with the first game since it's taking place before the events of the first game. 
    benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By benpack

Because it's going to have many of the same mechanics as BioShock.

Dekadin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dekadin

Well this is how I am looking at it. Rapture is based on freedom from government and corruption and junk (which in the games we find out did not work out to well). Olympia is fronted as the pinnacle of progress, but in actuality, it looks to have a corrupt communist agenda. What I think is going to happen to tie the games together is that essentially the idea for Rapture arose from the secret communist push behind Olympia. It is my belief that Ryan will be present or at least associated with Olympia and either from the beginning is against it or decides that he would rather build a city free of such corruption. Also, Tonics appear to be a primitive version of Plasmids, and may inspire Ryan, as well as some other aspects of Olympia such as Handymen and such. Those are my thoughts anyway.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Shadow

Bioshock is a great name.  That said, I think calling the game "Sealab 1960" would have been a better choice.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By ReyGitano

It'll put a shock to your system? Oh wait, that's System Shock... or is it Static Shock.

Sulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sulla

It isn't so much the Bioshock title that bothers me, it's the 'Infinite'. I really hope it's just a working title and they end up changing it. Although I'll still get it either way.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @extremeradical said:
    " AeroShock  That would kick so much ass. "
    Andrew Ryan voiced by Steven Tyler. I'm sold.
    mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By mrfizzy
    @beej said:
    " @BombKareshi: probably because someone in marketing at some point went up to Ken Levine and said "Ken the name you have is great, but we're gonna need you to stick bioshock in there somewhere, that way we can make money through name recognition." That makes the most sense honestly, I think that point was even mentioned in one of the bombcasts or something. "
    this is exactly the right answer. In marketing, "brand name recognition" plays a huge part in a consumer's purchase decision. If you want to know, it reduces the amount of risk a consumer thinks is involved with a purchase. eg. "oh, this is a Bioshock game, i liked the last two Bioshock games which means there is less chance of me hating this one/wasting my money. In that case, i guess i'll buy it". Even the name "bioshock" is an attempt to link people back to System Shock. 
    Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ramyun

It's in the video interview with Ken Levine, but he said that the Bioshock name is supposed to incite that "what is going on?'" kind of surprise within the world and atmosphere or something.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777
    @extremeradical said:
    " AeroShock  That would kick so much ass. "
    Nah, it's all about the Skyoshock
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @BombKareshi said:
    " I had been avoiding this news for a while due to not having finished Bioshock 2, but now that I've read about Infinite I'm filled with excitement about this new game. There's a question lingering in my mind, though. It seems like such a departure from the first two games, so why call it "BioShock" as opposed to some other sort of "Shock"?  Looking back, there was System Shock and System Shock 2 set in space. Then, along came BioShock and BioShock 2 set under the sea. Since they're moving into the skies now, and the plot seems unrelated to the original, the time seems ripe to introduce another title change. Does the "Bio" in BioShock imply that this game will also centre on biological developments, and that is enough reason for them to keep the title? Or are they wary of a title change because of marketing reasons? Some might take it as a hint at the possibility that this story does take place in the same universe as BioShock after all. Or perhaps they are basing their naming convention on something else, such as time (System Shock in the future, BioShock in the past) or style (System Shock is cyber-ish, BioShock is steampunk)? Whatever the case, I can't wait to see what this game has to offer! "
    $
    psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#24  Edited By psykhophear

Maybe Infinite has some connection with BioShock 1 and 2 in terms of its storyline or characters. Either that or 2K just named it BioShock for the marquee value.

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eristocrat

Because 2K thinks it will make more money with that name.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Call it skyshock

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By agentboolen
    @BombKareshi:  You make some valid points, and yes marketing wise there probably chicken to do a name change....  It these days people just don't buy anything with out a sequel number attached to it!!
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By stinky

Bioshock Infinite such a bad game it ruin the franchise. 

it jumped the shock.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By EpicSteve

It's called marketing. Franchise awareness. The game also seemed to share a lot of mechanical elements from the first two games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeF
    @beej said:
    " @BombKareshi: probably because someone in marketing at some point went up to Ken Levine and said "Ken the name you have is great, but we're gonna need you to stick bioshock in there somewhere, that way we can make money through name recognition." That makes the most sense honestly, I think that point was even mentioned in one of the bombcasts or something. "
    there is a one hour video interview here in giantbomb with ken levine that touched on this very question. people STILL going with that "marketing" thing should watch that. of course the fact that it's an established brand doesn't hurt but he gave various compelling reasons for the name.
    captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By captainfish

I thought we were over this now. Bioshock was never supposed to just be about Rapture. It was about a fantastical shooter set in a strange and wonderful location with no real-life points of reference. It takes a historical period and some of the ideals that might define that period and uses them to flesh out the characters, setting and story.

Bioshock isn't Rapture, it's the feeling you first got when you saw Rapture.

What shouldn't have existed are the Bioshock Rapture sequels. Despite any character work or story, they can't hold any of the freshness that the original had. It is literally going back to a known setting to do a story, something most games do, but Bioshock didn't

With Infinite, they are taking us to a new fantastic place, with it's own people, historical period and even supernatural elements. It even has a much different atmosphere, no longer is it confining and opressive, now it's open and joyous although it's still sinister.

Also it seems the mechanics and the feel of the combat will be similar to that of Bioshock. At least enough that calling it something new would cause people to make the comparisons themselves.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barrock

Brand recognition and I'm willing to bet that it will have some tie ins. 

eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By eristocrat
    @DeF said:
    " @beej said:
    there is a one hour video interview here in giantbomb with ken levine that touched on this very question. people STILL going with that "marketing" thing should watch that. of course the fact that it's an established brand doesn't hurt but he gave various compelling reasons for the name. "
    Do you really think Ken would come out and say "because 2k made me do it" if it was a marketing decision?  He's not that kind of dude.  Though I am not saying there is no chance keeping the Bioshock name was Ken's idea.
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cstrang
    @GlenTennis said:
    " Because it's going to have many of the same mechanics as BioShock. "
    This would probably be my argument, coupled with @Gamer_152 said:
    " I think they just wanted to reference that the game was a spiritual successor to System Shock and wanted to show that it was largely themed around biological modifications. "
    that, as well as the brand recognition thing from the marketing side.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeF
    @Eristocrat said:
    " @DeF said:
    " @beej said:
    there is a one hour video interview here in giantbomb with ken levine that touched on this very question. people STILL going with that "marketing" thing should watch that. of course the fact that it's an established brand doesn't hurt but he gave various compelling reasons for the name. "
    Do you really think Ken would come out and say "because 2k made me do it" if it was a marketing decision?  He's not that kind of dude.  Though I am not saying there is no chance keeping the Bioshock name was Ken's idea. "

sure he wouldn't flat out say "yea, marketing forced us to" but I'm just irritated when the worst possible scenario is presented as a given. it's a variation on "guilty until proven innocent".so why question his reasons?
    eristocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By eristocrat
    @DeF: I understand that, but, you have to admit that the most obvious reason is because it will sell more copies.  Maybe I am being to cynical, I don't know anything for sure, but it seems like 9 out of 10 times something like this happens it is a marketing decision.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ShaneDev

The name was solely for brand recognition and franchise building. I want to know more about the story though, I mean why was the city changing as he walked through it?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ramone

It's been said but, brand recognition.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

It's just a title, people. Plus, BioShock has to do with the powers you get in the game. Just like in previous Bioshock games. It has nothing to do with the setting. I don't know what's so confusing about that.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Gerhabio

I say it's the moneys and also because of the main dual-wield game mechanic of plasmid-like powers and guns. It plays like a Bioshock game and it looks like one too so it's called Bioshock.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'm guessing because it will share significant thematic/design points with the original BioShock games?

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DeF
    @Eristocrat:  In general, I don't disagree but hearing Levine talk about it on numerous occasions (irrational's own podcast, various print/web interviews, the giantbomb video interview), it's hard to siimply say "it was JUST a marketing decision". it's part of it, but neither the only nor the biggest part.
    beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By beej
    @DeF said:
    " @Eristocrat said:
    " @DeF said:
    " @beej said:
    Do you really think Ken would come out and say "because 2k made me do it" if it was a marketing decision?  He's not that kind of dude.  Though I am not saying there is no chance keeping the Bioshock name was Ken's idea. "
    sure he wouldn't flat out say "yea, marketing forced us to" but I'm just irritated when the worst possible scenario is presented as a given. it's a variation on "guilty until proven innocent".so why question his reasons? "
    I just want to say that my  comment was mostly jocular. I loved bioshock, and I'm super excited for infinite, I don't really care what they call it.
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By fjordson

Why not name it BioShock?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BBQBram

Peeps, obviously marketing would push Lavine to retain brand recognition, but that does not dismiss the notion of BioShock standing for that mystery, the dystopian twist on history, philosophy and politics, and the general gameplay. The name was never just about plasmids, and Columbia and Rapture seem way more tied, thematically, than System Shock ever was to this franchise. What's not to get?

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

After watching the 10 minute footage, im thinking where the fuck is the tonics? Where are the diaries? Probably they wont spoil much, but i want back to Rapture! Its more haunted and interesting. 

EDIT: In the 10 min footage, he got Telekinesis, so i guess they're will be plasmids in this game.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur
    @beej said:
    Too true my man. It sucks that the developers can't earn money based purely onthe success of their game, but having never though about it before, this makes complete sense... I suppose it would be what I would do
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Pibo47

Its in the same universe, and will most likely have some sort of connection to the bioshock and rapture stuff.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Brendan

Brand name recognition is partly the correct answer, but really if you look at the videos for the game on the site, it's so similar to Bioshock 1 & 2 other than the setting that if it hadn't been named similarly than internet people would have totally called out the team on that.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.