Why is Elizabeth a sex object?

#1 Posted by AssInAss (2405 posts) -

 

Big eyes and big boobs 
 Anyone else not bothered by this? I'm not being feminist, it just is going to make it a lot harder to take her seriously.  
 
She looks like a doll with the big eyes, huge cleavage, pursed lips, AND big boobs. She looks kinda young.  
 
If she's a innocent Rapunzel-type character, why is she sticking them out with that bust-line?  
 
This is a Ken Levine game, thought it would be classy. 
 
Unless if they're aware of that, and turn Booker into a pedobear?   
 
    
Are you fapping already? The game's not even out yet!
#2 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3479 posts) -

I'll admit it: my eyesight always gravitates towards her breasts. Sorry.

#3 Posted by jamesisaacs (220 posts) -

Some Women are just born fit mate and she's one of them.

#4 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

On the one hand I get where you are coming from.  On the other hand, Her design looks okay to me and she looks quite fine.  I find no problem with her myself.

#5 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

I'm really more insulted about what this character design says about us. From what I can tell, you're not supposed to be interested in her only for sex. And yet, BADAMN THEMS ARE SOME BIG MELLONS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! KEGGER DOWN AT PHI SIGMA DELTA DAWG!!!!!! 
 
I mean, do they really think we need this? Do we need this?

#6 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2052 posts) -

Cleveage is something that is seen every single day in civilized life. Why would anyone get upset about that in this day and age?

#7 Posted by Azteck (7447 posts) -

Personally, I'm all for cleavage and pretty eyes. I don't see an issue in this.

#8 Posted by Galiant (2164 posts) -

@AssInAss: I'm more interested in why someone called "AssInAss" would find Elizabeth's looks disturbing.

#9 Edited by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

Yeah. We're stupid.
 
Her tits are about the size of her face.
 
Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?
 
Let me answer that, before the kids start talking. No you don't.

I mean, what would the harm be in having this woman just look like a woman. And not like two cantaloupes floating around.

#10 Posted by Heltom92 (696 posts) -

The thing that bothered me was when she puts Booker's hand around her neck in that trailer his hand is like the size of her head. I mean wtf.

#11 Posted by paradox121 (317 posts) -

To be fair, she's probably the most understated woman of modern games. But at the same time, I get your point. They're certainly...there. 
It's just the way games are made, which is horribly worrying. The sad fact is most women in games are sexualised in some way because the highest proportion of people playing games (non casual ones at least) are still men. Look at what's happened to Ashley between Mass Effect 1 and 3. As ever, sex sells, no matter how subtle it may be.

#12 Edited by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:

Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?

My sister?
 
Edit: OK, I'll leave.
#13 Posted by BeachThunder (11274 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:
On the one hand I get where you are coming from.  On the other hand, Her design looks okay to me and she looks quite fine.  I find no problem with her myself.
:o I was expecting you to say something like this:
 
On the one hand; her design looks okay to me and she looks quite fine. On the other hand; well -- never you mind what I'm doing with my other hand...!
#14 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
@ShiftyMagician said:
On the one hand I get where you are coming from.  On the other hand, Her design looks okay to me and she looks quite fine.  I find no problem with her myself.
:o I was expecting you to say something like this: On the one hand; her design looks okay to me and she looks quite fine. On the other hand; well -- never you mind what I'm doing with my other hand...!
I'll be honest, it had crossed my mind and I resisted.  Don't know why.
#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

Its funny, the whole game looks cinematic and realistic, every texture is bright and detailed, and then this character comes on and completely clashes with the games style, why does she look so cartoony? I get that the game goes for a fantasy vibe, but her face looks so fake. 

#16 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2052 posts) -

@paradox121:

Ashley wore skin tight armor in the first game, and she really doesn't look THAT much different other than her hair being down and the make-up.(If she's not a soldier anymore than it's only logical that the butchosity would come down a notch.)

#17 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:
Its funny, the whole game looks cinematic and realistic, every texture is bright and detailed, and then this character comes on and completely clashes with the games style, why does she look so cartoony? I get that the game goes for a fantasy vibe, but her face looks so fake. 
To illustrate the fact that she is "special" or unique among the setting.  She's not supposed to look like everyone else because she isn't like everyone else. 
 
It's a common thing to see in anime, where one character has outlandishly colored hair, but the rest of the characters are blonde, black, or brunette.  
#18 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver: Yeah! I noticed that too. My first reaction to seeing her in a trailer was an audible "Why does Mrs. Tits look so fake."
 
Anyway. Drop a train on 'em:
 
  
#19 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Or maybe gamers just like big tits.   
 
I think we're over-thinking this, honestly.

#20 Posted by Toms115 (2314 posts) -

same kind of deal with gears of war or uncharted: impossibly ripped or handsome dudes, yet nobody complains about that. it's a common problem in games, unfortunately. nobody wants realism. thankfully, our kindly overlords at Valve get it.
 

wassup alyx. you're perfectly realistic.
#21 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

I'm not getting a sexualized vibe from this. I don't see any issue here.
 
@BestUsernameEver: Everything in the game seems to have a stylized look. I don't know where you saw anything that was remotely realistic.

#22 Edited by Binman88 (3679 posts) -

Granted, this is probably done on purpose to appeal to a certain audience, but why should they be forced to make her look different if that's how the designer envisioned her? Who are you (or anyone) to say that her design is too sexually appealing and that they should tone it back to your standards of normality? Are you worried that her looks will distract from her personality in the game -- a personality that we currently know very little about? I find it so hypocritical and weird that people always equate sexual appeal to a lack of personality. Is it not discriminatory in itself to see a need for female characters to look plain in order for them to be respectable characters? Apparently Elizabeth will need to put a sweater on before the OP will take her seriously. I think that shows more about your own problems than it does about the character design. 
 
Edit: Also to reiterate what people are saying about realism - does any part of this flying city game look realistic to you?

#23 Posted by billnyethesciencepie (1332 posts) -
@Meowshi
Or maybe gamers just like big tits.    I think we're over-thinking this, honestly.
 Fucking this. Occums Razor people.
#24 Posted by Noctis (37 posts) -

Really, I dont see her as a sex object honestly and she looks perfectly fine, also remember that this is not mdern day I guess, and girl used to wear those tight things to make them skiny and with big boobs. For me i think she a cool character specially after seeing the latest trailer i guess she will be a great companion. 

#25 Posted by paradox121 (317 posts) -
@Lord_Yeti said:

@paradox121:

Ashley wore skin tight armor in the first game, and she really doesn't look THAT much different other than her hair being down and the make-up.(If she's not a soldier anymore than it's only logical that the butchosity would come down a notch.)

I appreciate that it makes sense from a story point of view but equally I doubt the designers at Bioware were thinking this through and then 'Whoops, we made her hot'. My point being its more likely to go Vague Story Idea > Characer Design > Fleshed Out Story
#26 Edited by phrosnite (3517 posts) -

I like her because she has short, black hair... That's my weakness. Also... her boobs aren't that big. The corset thing is doing that...

#27 Posted by ViciousReiven (793 posts) -
@AssInAss said:
  it just is going to make it a lot harder to take her seriously.  
   
For real? I always find it easier to take a pretty lady seriously.
#28 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2442 posts) -
@Lord_Yeti said:

Cleveage is something that is seen every single day in civilized life. Why would anyone get upset about that in this day and age?

You took the words right out of my mouth. Also, she is quite obviously wearing a corset.
#29 Posted by AlmostSwedish (536 posts) -

I have to agree with OP. I've found it a little disturbing ever since I first saw the game.

#30 Posted by KayinAmoh (11 posts) -

She looks great. Relax.

#31 Posted by Voidoid (106 posts) -
@AssInAss said:
  I'm not being feminist...

I actually find this much more objectionable than Lizzy's cleavage. To be a feminist means to believe that men and women should have equal rights. I do not see any sane alternatives to that attitude, yet so many people (men and women) keep insisting on taking the time to actively distance themselves from it.  Who made it shameful to show your support for women's rights?
#32 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

I'm inclined to agree. My thoughts when looking at that game are A: What a fine looking lady and B: Why the fuck does every single female character video games have to be a fine looking lady?

#33 Posted by Fascismo (116 posts) -

@jamesisaacs: She wasn't born, she was made. By dudes.

I'm glad I wasn't the only person bugged by this. I think that they're trying to do something really special with Elizabeth as a character and her design is completely undermining the whole thing. Couldn't they at least raise the neckline on her dress to make it fit in with the time period?

#34 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Am I the only one who has a problem with the fact that this guy clearly wants to have sex with dolls?

#35 Edited by damswedon (3168 posts) -

I'm sick and tired of people moaning over this. Learn what a fucking corset is, what it does and when it was in fashion. Then remember what time period the game is trying to do.

#36 Edited by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

She looks ok to me. Maybe it's just the style they shot for.

#37 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -
@damswedon said:


                   

I'm sick and tired of people moaning over this. Learn what a fucking corset is, what it does and when it was in fashion. Then remember what time period the game is trying to do.



                   

               

Damnit, i wanted to say this, in a more condescending manner. Now you've gone and ruined it! Damn you!
#38 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

Lets also stop casting attractive women in movies. 
*sigh*

#39 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Actually, I think that I have a theory. Men are pretty much hard wired to be sympathetic and protective of women, and especially attractive ones. It seems reasonable to assume that designers will take advantage of this in order to develop stronger relationships between the player and characters in the world. While I don't approve, I at least see the validity there.

#40 Posted by BombKareshi (996 posts) -
@BestUsernameEver said:
  I get that the game goes for a fantasy vibe, but her face looks so fake. 
To me, faces have never been the pinnacle of realism in any Bioshock game.
#41 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Voidoid said:
@AssInAss said:
  I'm not being feminist...
I actually find this much more objectionable than Lizzy's cleavage. To be a feminist means to believe that men and women should have equal rights. I do not see any sane alternatives to that attitude, yet so many people (men and women) keep insisting on taking the time to actively distance themselves from it.  Who made it shameful to show your support for women's rights?
A lot of people associate feminism with misandry and over-sensitivity; mainly because they only have experienced "feminists" on the internet, where everyone is an asshole. 
#42 Posted by GuyIncognito (438 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
Yeah. We're stupid.  Her tits are about the size of her face.  Do you know a girl with tits the size of her face?   Let me answer that, before the kids start talking. No you don't. I mean, what would the harm be in having this woman just look like a woman. And not like two cantaloupes floating around.
Wow, are you bitter about your g/f being a washboard or something?
#43 Posted by RoujinX (419 posts) -

Because she's a woman.

#44 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3336 posts) -

  

   
 
But seriously, when the male protagonist of this game looks looks rail thin without any muscles, or has a huge gut hanging below his waist, then you can talk to me about how inappropriate large breasts and a small waistline is on a female character in this game.  Game characters--much like movie stars--are the exception, not the rule.
#45 Edited by PenguinDust (12414 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

Actually, I think that I have a theory. Men are pretty much hard wired to be sympathetic and protective of women, and especially attractive ones. It seems reasonable to assume that designers will take advantage of this in order to develop stronger relationships between the player and characters in the world. While I don't approve, I at least see the validity there.

I agree with this.  Either the woman in question exhibits the genetic traits of being a good mate and child-bearer (large breasts, round hips), or she is helplessly child-like (remember Ico?).  People mention Alyx from Half-Life and I'll add Elena from Uncharted to the list, but those characters pulled their own weight.  We'd be having a different argument if those strong, confident women were recast as ineffectual Lois Lane-types in need of rescue every five minutes.  
 
1900's photo of a woman...look familiar?
I don't see this character design as overtly sexual, but rather reflecting a fashion of the time period.  Yes, it has been exaggerated some but that's due to the cartoonish art style chosen for the game.  I really don't get the "big eyes" comment at all. 
#46 Posted by Vodun (2365 posts) -

Large breasts, wide hips = fertility signals = men get horny/attracted.

Big eyes = cute, innocent = men get protective.

Considering her role in this I find it likely they want you to be protective of her and have her act as the love interest.

#47 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

I agree it doesn't suit her character. She also looks a bit cartoony... something about her face.

#48 Posted by FilipHolm (663 posts) -

Problem solved. Men are horny, and protective of cute women. You're a clever man, mr. Levine

#49 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

I agree it doesn't suit her character. She also looks a bit cartoony... something about her face.

It's the eyes they make her look like a doll but her breasts aren't that big

#50 Edited by CptBedlam (4441 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

I agree with this. Either the woman in question exhibits the genetic traits of being a good mate and child-bearer (large breasts, round hips), or she is helplessly child-like (remember Ico?).

Then why not do it the classy Ico-way? Would've been a much better fit. Now it just seems like they do it for lazy marketing reasons.

Also, I kind of disagree with the urge to protect women with large breasts etc. That pretty much only does apply to kids - with shapes of kids (big eyes, small body etc). I never ever wanted to protect all these big-breasted femme fatales in video games. Actually it's the opposite: the bigger the tits, the less they look like they need protection.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.