Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioShock

Game » consists of 33 releases. Released Aug 21, 2007

Venture into the mysterious, Utopian underwater city of Rapture and discover what has turned it into ruin in this first-person epic.

Need motivation! (possible spoilers)

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Gunner

I really want to beat this game and get it over with but i cant seem to get into the game. Right now im at the part were you have to get the camera and take pictures of splicers to get in a room or w/e. Im just wondering if the game will get any better story-wise or if it gets any better in general?

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KindGalaxy

Would you kindly finish the game.
    Once you finish the game you'll understand that sentence I just wrote and your mind will be blown by one of the best twists in gaming history.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By pause422

Its been this long already, hes probably already had the best spoiled for him...regardless of whether thats true or not, yes its definitely worth playing through. Thats probably the part I found the weakest in the whole game, just taking pictures of the splicers.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

Dude....later in the game....

*spoiler...ish*

Dude snapping a puppies neck ='(. Saddest moment in the whole game.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb

Edit: Major spoilers below-

KindGalaxy said:

"Would you kindly finish the game.
    Once you finish the game you'll understand that sentence I just wrote and your mind will be blown by one of the best twists in gaming history."

It's almost as if Bioshock brainwashed 99% of people who played it into thinking that it has an amazing plot twist. Let me snap my fingers to wake you up from the hypnosis:

The plot "twist" is terrible.

It makes no sense in the context of what was being built up as a truly amazing story. I.e. the distopian city of Rapture that had briefly achieved peace only before plummiting into chaos. They could have turned that story into a true masterpiece, perhaps forming a philosophical basis that could have rivaled Animal Farm. In fact, it seemed to be headed into that direction from the outset. Instead it was muddled up by a cliched plot of "hey, you're not new to this! You were actually born and brainwashed here!" By the end, all Bioshock said to me was "this is a video game." Trite is all I can say to describe the story of Bioshock.

Would you kindly? Seriously? Your plane crashes in the middle of the ocean and your only course of action is to enter the elevator in the lighthouse. You are thrown into Rapture and some guy who appears to be the only sane man on the block starts giving you directions that are the only way to keep you alive. What would you do in that situation? You sure as hell would listen to him, otherwise you would wind up like the guy impaled into the elevator.

You might as well give a starving man a three course meal and after he eats it say, "HA! I SAID 'Would you kindly eat this three course meal that is the key to your survival?" AND SO I BRAINWASHED YOU!" It ended up being nothing more than a cheesey sci/fi flick with, admittedly, great gameplay and a great cast of characters.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves hearing people endlessly praise this game's story. Newsflash:

It isn't that good!
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By pause422

Thats great BiggerBomb, its called an opinon. I definitely don't think it was the best 'plot twist' or 'story' ever in a game, but I thought it was a very good one that wasn't just your everyday FPS, which is true like it or hate it. Would I rather it still had been system shock 3? yes.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KindGalaxy
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Edit: Major spoilers below-

KindGalaxy said:
    Once you finish the game you'll understand that sentence I just wrote and your mind will be blown by one of the best twists in gaming history."

It's almost as if Bioshock brainwashed 99% of people who played it into thinking that it has an amazing plot twist. Let me snap my fingers to wake you up from the hypnosis:

It makes no sense in the context of what was being built up as a truly amazing story. I.e. the distopian city of Rapture that had briefly achieved peace only before plummiting into chaos. They could have turned that story into a true masterpiece, perhaps forming a philosophical basis that could have rivaled Animal Farm. In fact, it seemed to be headed into that direction from the outset. Instead it was muddled up by a cliched plot of "hey, you're not new to this! You were actually born and brainwashed here!" By the end, all Bioshock said to me was "this is a video game." Trite is all I can say to describe the story of Bioshock.

Would you kindly? Seriously? Your plane crashes in the middle of the ocean and your only course of action is to enter the elevator in the lighthouse. You are thrown into Rapture and some guy who appears to be the only sane man on the block starts giving you directions that are the only way to keep you alive. What would you do in that situation? You sure as hell would listen to him, otherwise you would wind up like the guy impaled into the elevator.

You might as well give a starving man a three course meal and after he eats it say, "HA! I SAID 'Would you kindly eat this three course meal that is the key to your survival?" AND SO I BRAINWASHED YOU!" It ended up being nothing more than a cheesey sci/fi flick with, admittedly, great gameplay and a great cast of characters.

It is one of my biggest pet peeves hearing people endlessly praise this game's story. Newsflash:

It isn't that good!"
    The actual message behind the 'Would you Kindly' is what I am talking of, as a commentry on games in general which is what Ken Levine wanted to present. In every game we are given a linear path to follow, we have to go down the corridor, we have to kill people, we have to listen to Jack because we have no choice to do anything else; because that is what the game developers want us to do. The entire 'Would you Kindly' basis was commenting on games as a whole, and when you get that final 'would you kindly', right at the point where you realise who is good, who is bad, in the main story, to the point where you as the game player do not want to kill Andrew Ryan, you have no choice but to watch the effect of the 'would you kindly' action in killing the one person you actually did not want to kill in the game. It was a brilliant way of putting forth basic gameplay mechanics as a commentry on control in games.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kmdrkul
    BiggerBomb said:

KindGalaxy said:

It isn't that good!"
    I agree.  I still think it is a damned good game (avatar) and easily my favorite on the 360, but to me the story itself wasn't nearly enough to warrant the games genius.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    kmdrkul said:
    "BiggerBomb said:

KindGalaxy said:

It isn't that good!"
    I agree.  I still think it is a damned good game (avatar) and easily my favorite on the 360, but to me the story itself wasn't nearly enough to warrant the games genius."

That. That is all that I am saying in a much more succinct and much less belligerent way.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gunner

Well i pressed on and now i hit another snag, i have to collect a bunch of ingredients to restore the forest part so that the oxygen will return to normal. i find collecting things arnt as fun as hurting them :P

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kmdrkul
    Gunner said:
    "Well i pressed on and now i hit another snag, i have to collect a bunch of ingredients to restore the forest part so that the oxygen will return to normal. i find collecting things arnt as fun as hurting them :P"
    That was one of my few pet peeves with the game (along with pop in.)  You will end up having to do several more scavenger hunts in the game,  but I still believe that it is worth it :D
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shotaro
    kmdrkul said:
    "Gunner said:
    "Well i pressed on and now i hit another snag, i have to collect a bunch of ingredients to restore the forest part so that the oxygen will return to normal. i find collecting things arnt as fun as hurting them :P"
    That was one of my few pet peeves with the game (along with pop in.)  You will end up having to do several more scavenger hunts in the game,  but I still believe that it is worth it :D"
    yeah that was quite annoying - for me the story wasn't so great in the would you kindly respect for me the story was great because of the audio diaries and how they built up this vision of a utopian society and you get the fun of seeing it after it has crumbled/
    Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Win

Personally I never found myself really getting into the game, once I finished it the payoff didn't really seem worth it for me. But overall it was an interesting experience and I think if you put this much time into it you should at least finish it.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gunner

Jesus. Just finished the game and.. I kinda have mixed feelings for it. On one hand the storyline wasnt what i expected, yes there was a few twists i didnt expect but i dont think they delivered it good enough. Just telling you everything all at once confused me a bit, the big boss fight i thought i was going to have with andrew ryan turned into a short cutscene of him explaining the entire story of the game pretty much. On the other hand it has a very good atmosphere toward the end of the game, i actually felt pitty for people in rapture. That doesnt happen often in games for me.

I have seen much better storylines in games, mostly RPGs. But because its a shooter i dont hold the story against it.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Here's the motivation I can give you. Go play most other games out there right now. Maybe then you'll learn to appreciate how awesome Bioshock is by comparing it to some of the more run-of-the-mill games available.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Demilich

BioShock is okay. Worth playing. Didn't blow me away or anything.

teekazeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teekazeek

I just finished the game actually.  I had never played it before the PS3 release. 

I felt the same snags you're feeling.  I didn't particularly like the way customizing your plasmids equip was dealt with.  It was too restrictive IMO. 

But I must say, I think the game got more interesting the further along I got.  Towards the later 3/4 of the game you generally have enough plasmids and weaponry to do things the way you want to do them.  This made it much more enjoyable taking out Big Daddies and splicers.  In addition, the world had a lot of really interesting back story IMO.

I'd finish it.  It's a pretty good example of good story telling in a game.  Not the best FPS on a console IMO but it's solid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.