Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Bioware

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

Remember when they were bought by EA and both companies assured the press and the public that Bioware wasn't going to change? Now multiplayer in Mass Effect and Dragon Age. I wonder if Bioware even paid attention to the complaints levied against Dragon Age 2. Tossing in multiplayer... not sure how that addresses the repeating dungeons.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Okay!

Well, I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3 regardless!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikey87144

@Cloudenvy said:

Okay!

Well, I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3 regardless!

Me to. Just making some observations.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Dagbiker

EA buys developers and absorbs them. Look at Maxis, it is in its last throws.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Dany

The complaints against DA2 should have no impact on the ME franchise. Multiplayer in ME3 is just horde mode. Also, those are just rumors, nothing confirmed.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

Mass Effect 3 is on my list for March, but it'll probably be the last Bioware game I purchase. I still haven't played Dragon Age 2, so I'm not going to comment on whatever atrocities people say Bioware committed, but I'm not fond of the direction they're taking with ME3 (especially after the recent story leak).

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grixxel

I remember people asking for/about Mass Effect multi for a while, so that has little to do with EA.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By MetalBaofu

@mikey87144 said:

Tossing in multiplayer... not sure how that addresses the repeating dungeons.

It's not like they have to do one or the other. I would assume they have a completely separate team working on the multiplayer stuff.

As I've said about the announcement of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I don't care. I don't care if the multiplayer modes turn out to be complete shit, as long as the single player is still good. I just don't get why so many people immediately hate Bioware just because they put in some kind of multiplayer mode. You don't HAVE to play it, and you can't say they should have focused more on the single player yet, because no one knows how the single player will turn out.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

@Kanji said:

I remember people asking for/about Mass Effect multi for a while, so that has little to do with EA.

Bioware games have been pleaded to go multiplatform on consoles since KOTOR, but Bioware never seemed to have the resources until they were bought by EA.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai

@metalhead87 said:

@mikey87144 said:

Tossing in multiplayer... not sure how that addresses the repeating dungeons.

It's not like they have to do one or the other. I would assume they have a completely separate team working on the multiplayer stuff.

As I've said about the announcement of multiplayer in Mass Effect 3, I don't care. I don't care if the multiplayer modes turn out to be complete shit, as long as the single player is still good. I just don't get why so many people immediately hate Bioware just because they put in some kind of multiplayer mode. You don't HAVE to play it, and you can't say they should have focused more on the single player yet, because no one knows how the single player will turn out.

Welcome to the internet.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By plaintomato

Dragon Age was an interesting experiment. A third person game that played like an isometric mouse click game. I hated it. Can we blame that on EA? For Mass Effect...I don't have any complaints...and I really don't see how a multi-player component will hurt it, it's not like the single player campaign will suffer (they can't be that dumb).

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mosdl

@plaintomato said:

Dragon Age was an interesting experiment. A third person game that played like an isometric mouse click game. I hated it. Can we blame that on EA? For Mass Effect...I don't have any complaints...and I really don't see how a multi-player component will hurt it, it's not like the single player campaign will suffer (they can't be that dumb).

I assume you never played old school rpgs, that is what DA is.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By UnrealDP

Pretty sure it's not the maniacally evil fat cats you refer to as EA responsible for anything going on at Bioware (or at least in this case), in fact I think it's great that they're adapting to a changing market by doing such "radical" and "controversial" things like adding features.... Is it really such a big deal that they're trying something new?

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By plaintomato

@mosdl said:

@plaintomato said:

I've been playing RPG's since The Oregon Trail in fourth grade. Isometric point and click feels right. Third person view with JRPG turn based combat feels right. First or third person action rpg combat feels right. The DA hybrid of playing in third person view and having direct control of your player, combined with the sort of disembodied combat where you don't swing your sword but just watch your guy swing the sword doesn't feel right. You have immersive first person direct control of your character until you go into combat and then you are totally disconnected. It just feels wrong for me, that's all.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By herocide
    @plaintomato said:

@mosdl said:

@plaintomato said:

I've been playing RPG's since The Oregon Trail in fourth grade. Isometric point and click feels right. Third person view with JRPG turn based combat feels right. First or third person action rpg combat feels right. The DA hybrid of playing in third person view and having direct control of your player, combined with the sort of disembodied combat where you don't swing your sword but just watch your guy swing the sword doesn't feel right. You have immersive first person direct control of your character until you go into combat and then you are totally disconnected. It just feels wrong for me, that's all.

So you've never played an MMO? The controls are practically identical.
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dagbiker
    @plaintomato

@mosdl said:

@plaintomato said:

by the sounds of it your playing it on the 360, or ps3. Mos was talking about playing it on the pc, which plays like it should, a third person rpg.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Hey, you know what other game had multiplayer?

Baldur's Gate 2.

And Icewind Dale.

And Icewind Dale 2.

And Neverwinter Nights.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Dagbiker said:

@plaintomato

@mosdl said:

@plaintomato said:

by the sounds of it your playing it on the 360, or ps3. Mos was talking about playing it on the pc, which plays like it should, a third person rpg.

My problem with Dragon Age is the same I had with Baldur's Gate; it's that it sucks to use menus to direct real-time combat. If you're going to make something a menu-driven statistical game, make it turn based. If you're going to make it real time, make it an action game. Baldur's Gate felt like an RTS with RPG cutscenes.

Sputty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sputty

@FancySoapsMan said:

Hey, you know what other game had multiplayer? Baldur's Gate 2. And Icewind Dale. And Icewind Dale 2. And Neverwinter Nights.

NWN was sort of about the ability to make your own campaigns and the multiplayer was huge because of that. If they support player made campaigns in DA3 with a DnD style that would rule.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mac_n_nina

@mikey87144: I think Bioware is losing some of it's creative freedom while EA is trying to mainstream their games. IE multiplayer and changing Dragon Age 2 to basically be Mass Effect with dragons. Dragon Age: Origins was the shit. Best RPG I have played in a while. It's one of my favorite RPGs if not my favorite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait.

There's multiplayer in Dragon Age?

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By phish09

Every game CAN be made better with the ability to play it with your friends....I'm not saying that's always the case, but there is always the potential to make a better game. Bioware is still my favorite developer in spite of Dragon Age 2, and I still think Mass Effect 3 will probably be the best game of this generation.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Brodehouse

@Dagbiker said:

@plaintomato

@mosdl said:

@plaintomato said:

My problem with Dragon Age is the same I had with Baldur's Gate; it's that it sucks to use menus to direct real-time combat. If you're going to make something a menu-driven statistical game, make it turn based. If you're going to make it real time, make it an action game. Baldur's Gate felt like an RTS with RPG cutscenes.

You know you can, and in order to play well must, pause.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ColinWright

I don't see how adding multiplayer is them changing. Sure, DA2 was pretty much trash, but that's one game. You gotta give them more credit than that. Also, Baldur's Gate 2 had multiplayer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker That's not the issue, the issue is the looseness, especially with movement. No matter what directions I gave it feels like the AI will just run the fuck wherever it wants. If I'm not hands on directing Wynne to stay away from the exploding demon, or run when she pulls aggro, she'll get herself killed. Same with Baldur's Gate, trying to actually plan an intercept trajectory requires so much micro, all which would be meaningless if it was turn based in the first place.

If the game is going to have a real time element, either reduce it as much as possible or make it an action game. Giving an order and watching your character be completely ineffective due to lousy pathfinding makes no one happy.
    TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#26  Edited By TerraMantis

@Dany said:

The complaints against DA2 should have no impact on the ME franchise. Multiplayer in ME3 is just horde mode. Also, those are just rumors, nothing confirmed.

The complaints against DA2 have already had an impact on ME, whether it is good or bad has yet to be seen. Do you think it was really a coincidence that the ME team announced that the third installment of ME would not be releasing in 2011 and got pushed into early 2012 on May 4th (just under 2 months after DA2's release)? I for one was happy about the extended development time. After DA2's rush job it was nice to see that they realize we were at least pissed and decided to spend more time on the final chapter of their action space opera.

As for the original post, DA2 was Bioware's first project made in its entirety under the thumb of EA...and it really shows. It didn't hold up Bioware standards. It was simply their weakest game development in a decade. I am frightened for the future and ability of Bioware to maintain a respectable reputation under the rule of EA. Bioware was allowed to keep their name even after being absorbed by EA solely based off of the fact that they did have such a respectable reputation amongst the RPG community, but now i think they're under one big microscope by the actual fans that have supported them for a VERY long time. If they don't deliver it will be a sorry ending in a tragic tale. One in which they turned their back on their fans.

I still hope that ME3 is amazing. It is my favorite story in gaming history. I do not wish to see Bioware fall from grace, but sadly i don't believe it is even in their hands anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I think part of the reason Mass Effect 3 got delayed was in response to the poor reception for Dragon Age 2 - that's just my gut feeling though, rather than anything based on proof.

The more I think about it, the less I mind multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. The gameplay in the Mass Effect series has been action-focused since the beginning, but coupled with the dialogue and character progression elements you would expect from an RPG. You spend a lot of time exploring and talking with dudes, but a lot of time in both 1 and 2 shooting enemies. So if the shooting gets more refined to the point where it can actually support a multiplayer mode, then hell, why not.

I dunno. Dragon Age 2 definitely makes me more skeptical about ME3, but I don't think ME2 suffered any for being an EA game when compared to ME1.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

Hey remember back when that EA dude said that their strategic direction was to add multiplayer components to all of their games?  Remember that?  EA wants as much money as they can get out of the Bioware titles.  They think multiplayer and online passes is the way to make that happen so that's what EA customers are going to get.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AyKay_47

I remember when I had just finished Mass Effect 1, and was super impressed and excited for the sequel, my brother turned from the computer and said "EA just bought Bioware." All I could think was "Fuck :(". However, everything went pretty fucking swimmingly with ME2 and DA:O, but then...

People say DA2 was just one bad game they made, and we shouldn't throw them to the wolves because of it. I say bullshit. They're being thrown to the wolves because that's what they did to that franchise by turning a sequel around in less than a goddamn year. If they had spent anywhere near the same amount of time on DA2 as on DA:O, I think a lot more people would have forgiven the relative failure. What's not being forgiven is the cash hungry attitude.

I've heard rumors that Bioware are jealous of Bethesda's RPG successes. Maybe that's because Bethesda doesn't treat their franchises like shit. For example, they don't put any fucking turret sequences in any of the Elder Scrolls games.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mac_n_nina

@ColinWright: Because EA is trying to turn Mass Effect into some third person Halo Gears gay baby.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Deleth

@Kanji said:

Doesn't mean they should add it, especially not if you have to do it in order to get one of the good endings.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lockwoodx

Bioware is changing because they are transitioning into a publisher themselves, thus the constant stream of shit we've seen in dragon age 2 and star wars knights of the republic.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Dragon Age 2 probably wasn't a bad game on it's own merits. When compared with how great I thought the combat and gameplay of the original was though, it was like an aborted fetus crawling out of a dumpster.

I just hope, like others here, that the single player is not compromised. I loved ME, ME2 was pretty "meh" for me. I hope 3 rekindles my love of ME.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mikey87144

@phish09 said:

Every game CAN be made better with the ability to play it with your friends....I'm not saying that's always the case, but there is always the potential to make a better game. Bioware is still my favorite developer in spite of Dragon Age 2, and I still think Mass Effect 3 will probably be the best game of this generation.

My worries about Mass Effect 3 don't start with the multiplayer but the inclusion of it has me concerned. What little information that I've allowed myself to hear has me very concerned about that game.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By ventilaator

If I play Mass Effect 3 and find it to be anything other than complete garbage I will legitimately be shocked. 
    After 2 I was already kind of meh about the third one, but the story leaks made it sound infinitely worse than my already low expectations.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deleth

@Still_I_Cry said:

Dragon Age 2 probably wasn't a bad game on it's own merits. When compared with how great I thought the combat and gameplay of the original was though, it was like an aborted fetus crawling out of a dumpster.

I just hope, like others here, that the single player is not compromised. I loved ME, ME2 was pretty "meh" for me. I hope 3 rekindles my love of ME.

Dragon Age 2 was a horrible game, it was repetitive, confining, massively cut down on content and interaction possibilities and plain sucked. There wasn't anything about it at all, that Dragon Age or many other games didn't do better. Hell most of the time they gave us the same cave over and over and over again just with small parts of it inaccessible.

And as an added bonus, they made nearly all the companions absolutely unlikeable. Not just mediocre, or kind of annyoing, no they managed to add several of the characters I hated the most in the last few years of gaming. Oh and let's not forget about the story, and how no matter what you do in the end you're doomed to lose by default. Yeah thanks for that, f**** you Bioware.

If Dragon Age would've been made by another developer my usual "NBAGAFTI" policy would've been in effect. The only reason it is not, is that I want to finish the Mass Effect series. If Mass Effect 3 is as bad as Dragon Age 2, it will be the last Bioware game I've bought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deleth said:

@Kanji said:

Doesn't mean they should add it, especially not if you have to do it in order to get one of the good endings.

That's not true at all, and you know it.
    Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Deleth

@Brodehouse said:

@Deleth said:

@Kanji said:

It is. The whole system is called "GalacticReadiness" and you get graded based on the performance of your team. It directly influences your single player game and the ending you're going to get. So don't say it's not true if you didn't even bother looking it up.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Damn shame about Bioware. Hopefully all the old guys will leave, form a new company, make some more NWN and give DA:O and ME1 the spiritual successor they deserve.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deleth said:

@Brodehouse said:

@Deleth said:

@Kanji said:

It is. The whole system is called "GalacticReadiness" and you get graded based on the performance of your team. It directly influences your single player game and the ending you're going to get. So don't say it's not true if you didn't even bother looking it up.

It's possible to maximize the Galactic Readiness without touching multiplayer.  This has been stated and restated by the developer many times.  You're either ignorant or deliberately lying.  Which is it?
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dagbiker

@Brodehouse said:

@Dagbiker That's not the issue, the issue is the looseness, especially with movement. No matter what directions I gave it feels like the AI will just run the fuck wherever it wants. If I'm not hands on directing Wynne to stay away from the exploding demon, or run when she pulls aggro, she'll get herself killed. Same with Baldur's Gate, trying to actually plan an intercept trajectory requires so much micro, all which would be meaningless if it was turn based in the first place. If the game is going to have a real time element, either reduce it as much as possible or make it an action game. Giving an order and watching your character be completely ineffective due to lousy pathfinding makes no one happy.

So what you really want is better AI and better pathfinding, that I will agree with. There was an option in the menu that would pause the game every turn, making Baulders Gate a turn based RPG. I dont know about Dragon Age.

No Caption Provided
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sooty

@GunslingerPanda said:

Damn shame about Bioware. Hopefully all the old guys will leave, form a new company, make some more NWN and give DA:O and ME1 the spiritual successor they deserve.

I don't know why you are citing the first Mass Effect game, Mass Effect 2 was a fine game, sure maybe they removed a few too many of the RPG mechanics but it was still great.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Bwast

@FancySoapsMan said:

Hey, you know what other game had multiplayer? Baldur's Gate 2. And Icewind Dale. And Icewind Dale 2. And Neverwinter Nights.

What does Icewind Dale have to do with Bioware?

I'm kinda down on Bioware lately. DA2 went in the wrong direction in my eye and that last Mass Effect 2 DLC was an abortion. That MMO doesn't look too hot, either. I'll still probably buy ME3 if only to see how Shepard is sent off.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dagbiker

@Bwast said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

I'm kinda down on Bioware lately. DA2 went in the wrong direction in my eye and that last Mass Effect 2 DLC was an abortion. That MMO doesn't look too hot, either. I'll still probably buy ME3 if only to see how Shepard is sent off.

Icewind Dale was developed by Black Isle, not Bioware.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Dagbiker said:

@Bwast said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

oops :P

Still, I don't think multiplayer in Bioware's newer games is anything to worry about.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By grilledcheez

I remember when they made RPG's *runs away*

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dagbiker
    @FancySoapsMan
    @Dagbiker said:

@Bwast said:

@FancySoapsMan said:

oops :P

Still, I don't think multiplayer in Bioware's newer games is anything to worry about.
    I agree.
    Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Deleth said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

Dragon Age 2 was a horrible game, it was repetitive, confining, massively cut down on content and interaction possibilities and plain sucked. There wasn't anything about it at all, that Dragon Age or many other games didn't do better. Hell most of the time they gave us the same cave over and over and over again just with small parts of it inaccessible.

And as an added bonus, they made nearly all the companions absolutely unlikeable. Not just mediocre, or kind of annyoing, no they managed to add several of the characters I hated the most in the last few years of gaming. Oh and let's not forget about the story, and how no matter what you do in the end you're doomed to lose by default. Yeah thanks for that, f**** you Bioware.

If Dragon Age would've been made by another developer my usual "NBAGAFTI" policy would've been in effect. The only reason it is not, is that I want to finish the Mass Effect series. If Mass Effect 3 is as bad as Dragon Age 2, it will be the last Bioware game I've bought.

Well ok then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.