Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Bioware: Creators Of New Universes And Lore!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

BIOWARE: CREATORS OF NEW UNIVERSES AND LORE!

On completing the original Mass Effect, I waxed lyrically about Bioware's ability to create a universe that was both interesting, and rather thrilling. Now unlike their past work with the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game, in Mass Effect they no longer had a backbone of lore for which they could fall on when times got a little tough. Yet in my personal opinion, the universe and lore created within Mass Effect is twice as interesting as that offered by everything Star Wars. Now some of you might think me a little mad for saying that, and maybe it is heavily dependent on opinion. But one couldn't help but be impressed with the depth the Canadian developer went to flesh out their own personal universe.  

Want to know what the hell this is? Well why not check your ever trusty codex for information.
          Want to know what the hell this is? Well why not check your ever trusty codex for information.
    Now my interest and slight admiration for the universe actually began after reading the fine first book released before the original game. Wrote by Drew Karpyshyn, Mass Effect: Revelation was a truly enjoyable read and an interesting experiment, not in the fact that it was a book based on a game (after all, we've seen this many times) but in the way my vision of the world created from reading the book varied from the universe created in the game. Surprisingly a number of factors were quite similar and the book in general helped build up my anticipation for the game. Now I've yet to read the second book, promising I would near the release of Mass Effect 2, but while they won't be stunning reads, they are entertaining and help build upon the Mass Effect universe.  

But it's not just in the books, oh no. Mass Effect came with it's trusty codex which was filled with information for you to read or listen to, it's a key aspect of Mass Effect that worked amazingly well. After all, Mass Effect being the RPG styled game that it was, depended heavily on a universe that would immerse the player and keep them playing. I loved reading up on every small detail of certain planets, or how and why the Normandy was built. It was all done so well, and one thing that Bioware have built upon in their most recent release Dragon Age: Origins.  

Let me be honest for a moment, the lore and medieval setting of Dragon Age: Origins really never captured me. Looking very much like your old fashion (and overused) medieval sword slashing kill demon monsters styled affair, Origins could have suffered badly for this. But yet again Bioware proved me wrong, creating a universe that I quickly became interested in. I'm not sure why Bioware have become so good at creating new lore and universes for their games, there is probably a simple reason why they decided to go in this direction. When one considers the Kotor franchise, one mustn't forget that everything requires the green light of Mr George Lucas. So making your own universe makes a lot of sense.  

Dragon Age: Origins features a deep and intriguing lore which deserves to be read.  
    Dragon Age: Origins features a deep and intriguing lore which deserves to be read.  
    Maybe it's all to do with the smaller details, for even some of the minor aspects of Mass Effect were detailed in the Codex, Dragon Age: Origins to an even greater degree. This is actually a matter that a universe such as the one created for the largely hyped film Avatar would benefit from. If Avatar's lore had been better prepared or explained then maybe it would have caught my interest instead of looking like a rather generic CG film that is riding on the overhyped wave of 3D technology. If Mr James Cameron spent as much time displaying Avatar's lore then he did talking us to sleep at the Ubisoft Press Conference at E3, then maybe I would give a damn about the film.  

Thinking about it, probably wouldn't make a damned bit of difference. But creating a deep and interesting universe can work wonders for a franchise. I still think not enough credit was given to Bioware for their work in creating the universe in which this fine game was created, it's something that I hope is more appreciated in the sequel released in early 2010. Sadly not all developers understand the great benefit of a well built back story, while I might upset some Halo fanboys and girls here, the Halo franchise as always seemed like a world with great storytelling potential, but Bungie have never gone about it the right way. I actually rather enjoyed the small tale told by the recent Halo: ODST, but for the most part your stuck as Master Chief and his backstory as become rather dull in my own personal opinion.  

Not all developers are ignoring these benefits though, Bethesda used the past lore of Fallout rather well in their 2008 release of Fallout 3. Plus it's not a must have feature, but when your creating a franchise which is built on longevity, it's important to build the groundwork before you build the house. Many recreations of older classic games have suffered because of this, Bionic Commando for example fact while also being a rather poor quality game. But with care, a lore and backstory can be a precious achievement for a franchise, Ubisoft's Assassins Creed, Epic Games's Gears of War and Sony's God of War franchises are three in particular that have for the most part been handled with care. Though there as been some rather poor portable versions of the Assassins Creed franchise, the recent Assassins Creed Lineage videos have gone to show the interest the French publisher as in creating a deep universe.  

But it's still Bioware that I shall most happily speak of when discussing this matter, there isn't much else I could write concerning my thoughts on the matter. Well there is but I've written enough already. The fact that I've had more interest in the story and world created around Mass Effect, then I've ever had in Star Wars franchise, I hope that best describes my appreciation for the hard work done by the Edmonton based developer. May it continue in Mass Effect 2.

What gaming franchise do you think as underappreciated backstory and lore? 

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss 

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

BIOWARE: CREATORS OF NEW UNIVERSES AND LORE!

On completing the original Mass Effect, I waxed lyrically about Bioware's ability to create a universe that was both interesting, and rather thrilling. Now unlike their past work with the original Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic game, in Mass Effect they no longer had a backbone of lore for which they could fall on when times got a little tough. Yet in my personal opinion, the universe and lore created within Mass Effect is twice as interesting as that offered by everything Star Wars. Now some of you might think me a little mad for saying that, and maybe it is heavily dependent on opinion. But one couldn't help but be impressed with the depth the Canadian developer went to flesh out their own personal universe.  

Now my interest and slight admiration for the universe actually began after reading the fine first book released before the original game. Wrote by Drew Karpyshyn, Mass Effect: Revelation was a truly enjoyable read and an interesting experiment, not in the fact that it was a book based on a game (after all, we've seen this many times) but in the way my vision of the world created from reading the book varied from the universe created in the game. Surprisingly a number of factors were quite similar and the book in general helped build up my anticipation for the game. Now I've yet to read the second book, promising I would near the release of Mass Effect 2, but while they won't be stunning reads, they are entertaining and help build upon the Mass Effect universe.  

But it's not just in the books, oh no. Mass Effect came with it's trusty codex which was filled with information for you to read or listen to, it's a key aspect of Mass Effect that worked amazingly well. After all, Mass Effect being the RPG styled game that it was, depended heavily on a universe that would immerse the player and keep them playing. I loved reading up on every small detail of certain planets, or how and why the Normandy was built. It was all done so well, and one thing that Bioware have built upon in their most recent release Dragon Age: Origins.  

Let me be honest for a moment, the lore and medieval setting of Dragon Age: Origins really never captured me. Looking very much like your old fashion (and overused) medieval sword slashing kill demon monsters styled affair, Origins could have suffered badly for this. But yet again Bioware proved me wrong, creating a universe that I quickly became interested in. I'm not sure why Bioware have become so good at creating new lore and universes for their games, there is probably a simple reason why they decided to go in this direction. When one considers the Kotor franchise, one mustn't forget that everything requires the green light of Mr George Lucas. So making your own universe makes a lot of sense.  

Maybe it's all to do with the smaller details, for even some of the minor aspects of Mass Effect were detailed in the Codex, Dragon Age: Origins to an even greater degree. This is actually a matter that a universe such as the one created for the largely hyped film Avatar would benefit from. If Avatar's lore had been better prepared or explained then maybe it would have caught my interest instead of looking like a rather generic CG film that is riding on the overhyped wave of 3D technology. If Mr James Cameron spent as much time displaying Avatar's lore then he did talking us to sleep at the Ubisoft Press Conference at E3, then maybe I would give a damn about the film.  

Thinking about it, probably wouldn't make a damned bit of difference. But creating a deep and interesting universe can work wonders for a franchise. I still think not enough credit was given to Bioware for their work in creating the universe in which this fine game was created, it's something that I hope is more appreciated in the sequel released in early 2010. Sadly not all developers understand the great benefit of a well built back story, while I might upset some Halo fanboys and girls here, the Halo franchise as always seemed like a world with great storytelling potential, but Bungie have never gone about it the right way. I actually rather enjoyed the small tale told by the recent Halo: ODST, but for the most part your stuck as Master Chief and his backstory as become rather dull in my own personal opinion.  

Not all developers are ignoring these benefits though, Bethesda used the past lore of Fallout rather well in their 2008 release of Fallout 3. Plus it's not a must have feature, but when your creating a franchise which is built on longevity, it's important to build the groundwork before you build the house. Many recreations of older classic games have suffered because of this, Bionic Commando for example fact while also being a rather poor quality game. But with care, a lore and backstory can be a precious achievement for a franchise, Ubisoft's Assassins Creed, Epic Games's Gears of War and Sony's God of War franchises are three in particular that have for the most part been handled with care. Though there as been some rather poor portable versions of the Assassins Creed franchise, the recent Assassins Creed Lineage videos have gone to show the interest the French publisher as in creating a deep universe.  

But it's still Bioware that I shall most happily speak of when discussing this matter, there isn't much else I could write concerning my thoughts on the matter. Well there is but I've written enough already. The fact that I've had more interest in the story and world created around Mass Effect, then I've ever had in Star Wars franchise, I hope that best describes my appreciation for the hard work done by the Edmonton based developer. May it continue in Mass Effect 2.

What gaming franchise do you think as underappreciated backstory and lore? 

Thanks for Reading! 
    Follow me on Twitter: JosephBayliss 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Does it have to be a franchise franchise?

ex_machina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By ex_machina

word for word, I couldn't agree more or have said it better myself! I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this. With that being said.....bring on ME2!!!

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Madyew

I agree, no one can create a universe quite like Bioware. Some developers approach their universe creation in a different way; I've always sort of liked the ambiguity in the Halo universe because they can constantly tap into new things that we just haven't seen yet. Bioware defines the bounds of their worlds pretty much right from the start. Not literally, obviously, but you get what I'm saying.

While I love a Bioware universe, I love an atmospheric, concentrated, and polished small world just as much, if not more. It allows for a more focused storyline and cast of characters, while sacrificing the grand scale and depth. There are trade offs for both. Obviously a Bioware universe can't focus in on every specific event going on in the world.

So I guess it kind of boils down to atmosphere vs. scale in my book. Bioware definitely makes the trade off worthwhile, and I can't wait to see how they expand the Mass Effect universe in the second game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.