Bioware employees get into flame war with Reddit

#1 Edited by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

Jennifer Hepler, a writer at Bioware who works on the Dragon Age games, has come under a great deal of flak from Reddit's gaming board regarding some comments she made about wanting a "fast forward button" in games to skip straight to cutscenes. Her response? "I just figure they're jealous that I get to have both a vagina AND a games industry job, and they can't get either." This, of course, set off a powder keg of twitter harassment.

Read all about it:

http://kotaku.com/5886674/bioware-writer-describes-her-gaming-tastes-angry-gamers-call-her-a-cancer

http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-writer-s-vagina-versus-the-internet-222206.phtml

Things became so heated that Aaryn Flynn, general manager at Bioware, told one of the haters to "go fuck yourself."

#2 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Is she the fat one who looks like a Twilight fan and was in that really lame video about the "awesome button"?

#3 Edited by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I'm pretty sure there is nobody on earth that wants to get in that wizards sleeve.

EDIT: Although I do respect the massive amount of butthurt she has caused.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

oh no not go fuck yourself, how dare she D:

#5 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

she ain't lying its likely the reason.

#6 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

Ah, video game fans. We're really cool, you know that?

#7 Posted by EveretteScott (1451 posts) -

@Chop said:

Ah, video game fans. We're really cool, you know that?

There's shit in every group of people.

#8 Posted by TruthTellah (8720 posts) -

How dare people in videogaming have differing views on what may constitute a worthwhile experience in an entertainment product!

I'm not a fan of some of the language used by BioWare employees, but then, they were also responding to an absurd wave of insanity and abusive, sexist language. Some of the worst elements of Reddit came out to play, and when people start calling a woman and harassing her and her family at home, it's understandable that the woman may respond a bit harshly.

This whole affair has been sorry to see.

#9 Posted by JTMosh (258 posts) -

I absolutely agree with her on the skipping gameplay segments comment. I'm playing through Alan Wake right now and the story bits and atmosphere are easily the best part of it. The combat isn't bad but there's just so much of it that it makes me not want to play.

#10 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I've been playing GTA: Episodes from Liberty City. I wish it had a fast forward button to skip some of the gameplay. I quit playing Batman Arkham Asylum because I sucked at fighting all those minions in the boss fights. A fast forward button would have been appreciated there too.

So, I agree with her.

#11 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@JTMosh said:

I absolutely agree with her on the skipping gameplay segments comment. I'm playing through Alan Wake right now and the story bits and atmosphere are easily the best part of it. The combat isn't bad but there's just so much of it that it makes me not want to play.

I don't think that's a good solution in a way though, your game should be fun enough to play during those sequences. If Uncharted 3 had a skip button I'd be using it so much, the combat sections in that game get old fast.

Edit: and while this is immature, BioWare didn't do much to class up the situation with their responses

#12 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

Incredible PR there, Bioware.

#13 Posted by Inkerman (1451 posts) -

Welcome to the fucking internet, take a seat while you're baptised by fire. If she expected a hug from a Care-Bear upon arrival to the twittersphere she's as dumb as rocks. Granted the attacks were perhaps unexpected, her reaction and subsequent retreat were also pretty dumb. 

The Awesome Button is also a stupid idea, if you want to watch a series of connected cut-scenes watch a movie, and her not enjoying games (even if she is 'only' a writer) is cause for concern. Frankly while the tone of the attacks is of course out of line, the criticisms of her role are not. 

Additionally, she deserves as much flak as she's getting if that was her response.

#14 Edited by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

After reading through her interview, I can see little wrong with her opinion about buttoning through combat if you think it's similarly alright to button through dialoge. The combat is the single biggest reason I got tired of The Old Republic. I liked the writing, but slogging through hours of boring combat with faceless goons got very tiring.

If someone wants to make the argument that one should experience a game holistically, and not be skipping anything, then I think that's a valid position to take to uphold the integrity of someone's creation.

But why not an option to skip the combat? If that had been an option, maybe I would have finished FFXIII.

#15 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

People probably wouldn't be so annoyed if she never worked on Dragon Age 2. Just saying...

#16 Posted by HatKing (5875 posts) -

So glad that the internet allows the most disgusting bits of this industry to be brought to the public eye. Well hopefully, someday, there will be some sort of accountability on the internet and these childish morons will be outed. It'd be funny seeing these assholes attempt to get laid when their sexist comments and general immaturity is made public.

#17 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -
#18 Posted by innacces14 (735 posts) -

haha I just finished listening to the Denis Dyack vs. NeoGAF portion of the This Year in the Giant Bombcast 2008 compilation.

#19 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Gamers getting butthurt.
I didn't like dragon age 2 a lot, but holy shit , this is way over the line.

Her first name isn't hamburger? Damn you 4chan!

#20 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@dabe said:

People probably wouldn't be so annoyed if she never worked on Dragon Age 2. Just saying...

Maybe the best and only justification for hating her.

#21 Posted by suikoden352 (422 posts) -

what the hell is going on over at bioware these days? especially with the dragon age crew. i would love to know because it just seems like there is no semblance of order over there these days. i'm 100% against the attacks on the woman, but come on. you don't come out and say something like that when the masses are already waving their torches and pitchforks wildly. it's just as equally dumb. this isn't what bioware needs right now when they have the mass effect release just right around the corner. this whole situation makes me shake my head in silence and disgust. =/

#22 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

from what I hear (from other redditors) the original thread was full of quotes that don't actually exist and had a caption on the side reading something like "scum, vermin, garbage, cancer". (not the exact words but along those lines very graphic and meant to inflame hatred) So she had a valid reason to be offended. All of the upvoted comments were calling her all sorts of horrid names. This sort of thing is why people (rightly often) assume that gamers are horrible human beings.@Animasta said:

oh no not go fuck yourself, how dare she D:

exactly, given the comparatively horrid (and I mean reaaaaaaaaaly horrid) things that were spouted in that thread she was being polite.

People who are still writing about this are just trying to stir up a lot of hatred about it. It's like the easiest red meat for gamers. Hatred of everything female that isn't an object is a very consistent theme in the dark corners of video game culture. Probably it's just an adolescent male thing and they tend to be hyperbolic and vocal about it. In any case it reflects very badly on gamers as a whole.

#23 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4358 posts) -

Normally I would say a developer should know better blah blah blah, but the shit some people are saying is just way over the top. I fully stand behind Bioware on this whole thing, not that I'm anyone important or anything lol, but still. People need to chill the fuck out.

#24 Posted by DocPorpoise (109 posts) -

while i don't agree with the way she has been treated for simply giving her opinion i feel someone needs to tell her that the "fast forward to story button" exists, it's called youtube.

#25 Posted by babblinmule (1262 posts) -

Oh internet....

#26 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

from what I hear (from other redditors) the original thread was full of quotes that don't actually exist

For what it's worth, you can read the original interview that's at the root of all this vitriol here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20101118135928/http://killerbetties.com/killer_women_jennifer_hepler

What is your least favorite thing about working in the industry?

Playing the games. This is probably a terrible thing to admit, but it has definitely been the single most difficult thing for me. I came into the job out of a love of writing, not a love of playing games. While I enjoy the interactive aspects of gaming, if a game doesn't have a good story, it's very hard for me to get interested in playing it. Similarly, I'm really terrible at so many things which most games use incessantly -- I have awful hand-eye coordination, I don't like tactics, I don't like fighting, I don't like keeping track of inventory, and I can't read a game map to save my life. This makes it very difficult for me to play to the myriad games I really should be keeping up on as our competition.

And with a baby on the way in a few months, my minimal free time (which makes it impossible for me to finish a big RPG in less than six months already), will disappear entirely. If there was a fast-forward feature on games which would let me easily review the writing and stories and skip the features that I find more frustrating than fun, I'd find it much easier to keep abreast of what's happening in the field.

#27 Edited by Three0neFive (2289 posts) -

This is the best thing to happen to the internet since animated .gifs.

Maybe now people will finally realize what hypocritical, overly-aggressive, theiving fucks the vast majority of redditors are.

#28 Posted by KoolAid (890 posts) -

This story is inspiring me to create a news website: "haters-gonna-hate.com"

It will exclusively feature stories about people having opinions , ideas or public personas and then the internet telling them they are wrong/fat/ugly/dumb and/or a cancer.

No other sites will have to cover these types of stories, I'll just handle them exclusively. That way Kotaku or Destructiod won't get bogged down by these events.

#29 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4358 posts) -

@suikoden352 said:

what the hell is going on over at bioware these days? especially with the dragon age crew. i would love to know because it just seems like there is no semblance of order over there these days. i'm 100% against the attacks on the woman, but come on. you don't come out and say something like that when the masses are already waving their torches and pitchforks wildly. it's just as equally dumb. this isn't what bioware needs right now when they have the mass effect release just right around the corner. this whole situation makes me shake my head in silence and disgust. =/

I agree and disagree. The reason all those assholes say that shit is that they don't expect any consequences. I'm 100% for Bioware for calling people out however they can even if it's just a simple "fuck you" online. 'Gamers' always like to talk about being mistreated and bad pr and all that, but when something like this happens I say anything is fair game.

As far as ME3 goes, all those fucktards are still going to buy the game whether they want to admit or not. History has shown us literally countless times that most 'gamers' are all talk and no action. Mass Effect 3 will go on to sell a gajillion copies, those same assholes will still bitch and moan, a couple will pirate the game, and this will all be forgotten within a month because a lot of 'gamers' are also extremely fickle.

Don't get me wrong though, this whole situation is all sorts of fucked, but I'm on Bioware's side 110%.

#30 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Haha! She's fat! Everyone reply to me saying "lol" so I can think that I'm worth something in life, because let's face it, you don't get to defend yourself. Especially if you work at THE PLACE THAT MADE THE MEDIOCRE DRAGON AGE 2.

So stand by me as we make up fake quotes to make people not like this person! Man we're so cool!

#31 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@N7: LOL!

#32 Posted by Lotus (204 posts) -

Well, don´t create a twitter account if you can´t take the heat. Also first world problems, meh.

#33 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

I agree and disagree. The reason all those assholes say that shit is that they don't expect any consequences. I'm 100% for Bioware for calling people out however they can even if it's just a simple "fuck you" online. 'Gamers' always like to talk about being mistreated and bad pr and all that, but when something like this happens I say anything is fair game.

As far as ME3 goes, all those fucktards are still going to buy the game whether they want to admit or not. History has shown us literally countless times that most 'gamers' are all talk and no action. Mass Effect 3 will go on to sell a gajillion copies, those same assholes will still bitch and moan, a couple will pirate the game, and this will all be forgotten within a month because a lot of 'gamers' are also extremely fickle.

Don't get me wrong though, this whole situation is all sorts of fucked, but I'm on Bioware's side 110%.

Responding with a "fuck you" doesn't help Bioware in this case. Those Reddit chucklefucks were looking to get a rise out of Bioware, and they got it.

#34 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Didn't I just see a picture of her labeled Hamburger Helper the other day? If so why?

#35 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

Responding with a "fuck you" doesn't help Bioware in this case. Those Reddit chucklefucks were looking to get a rise out of Bioware, and they got it.

it's almost like people can be emotional sometimes

#36 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

What a dumb thing of her to say on both parts. Also A dumb response on the internet. Grow the fuck up.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

Yes, and what I'm saying is that being emotional did not help Bioware in this case. Those idiots on Reddit probably laughed their asses off. There are a lot of better ways that Bioware could have handled this, and they fumbled completely.

#38 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

But dude, you're not paying attention. She works at Bioware. The fuck do you not understand.
#39 Posted by JeanLuc (3577 posts) -

Yay, everyone sucks :D

#40 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Both parties are fucking retarded.

#41 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Can I just post a synopsis of Hepler's amateur book attempt? Ok.  
 From  http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2139643.M_I_T_H_ 

What if magic was real? And what if the CIA were the only ones who knew about it? In M.I.T.H., the Magical Intelligence Tactical Headquarters controls the real secret behind America's military might - magic wands, crystal coffins, and the occasional hundred-eyed invisible giant Special-ops soldier Hamilton Crow and the M.I.T.H. squad pursue stolen nuclear weapons through the Mayan underworld in a desperate bid to stave off the Apocalypse 

And one legitimate (not 4chan trolling) criticism from a reader at the site:  

But, as I read, I found the story lacking and when two main characters pause in the middle of the impending apocalypse to make out, I almost stopped reading

Haaaaahaaaa.
#42 Posted by 49th (2722 posts) -

Wow, who gives a shit? You've got to be really fucking pathetic to bitch about an offhand comment she made years ago. Jesus Christ.

#43 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

@Barrock said:

Didn't I just see a picture of her labeled Hamburger Helper the other day? If so why?

Apparently, that's some kind of 4chan joke dating back to Dragon Age 2's release. They were compiling lists and images mocking everything Bioware and she was an easy target. Months later, someone posted one of those images on Reddit, who whipped up a frenzy.

#44 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Dragon Age 2...my friend...Dragon Age 2...

#45 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

Yes, and what I'm saying is that being emotional did not help Bioware in this case. Those idiots on Reddit probably laughed their asses off. There are a lot of better ways that Bioware could have handled this, and they fumbled completely.

in a 100% logical world than sure! Just saying that maybe it wasn't smart, but it was deserved.

#46 Posted by leinad44 (505 posts) -

I hate the internet sometimes, I really fucking do.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

@suikoden352 said:

in a 100% logical world than sure! Just saying that maybe it wasn't smart, but it was deserved.

It doesn't need to be a 100% logical world to see it. I'm not saying that Reddit's users don't deserve to be taken down several pegs, but that was not the way to do it.

#48 Posted by Getz (2995 posts) -

GOOD FUCKING LORD. Why are we such twats sometimes?

#49 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@Hailinel: yes, I agree, also we are both arguing from the same point so let's not be pedantic about this

#50 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.