Bioware lead writer Drew Karpyshyn to leave games industry

• 92 results
#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/16/bioware-writer-drew-karpyshyn-to-retire-from-game-industry/

“During my time at BioWare I worked on a number of beloved and award winning titles,” he wrote on his bog. “I’m proud of everything we accomplished, and I know going forward that BioWare will continue to live up to its well deserved reputation for making the best story driven games in the industry.

“The story and dialog in any BioWare game is the result of an entire team of writers working together, and I often felt I received an excessive amount of the credit for the games we created.

“The Dragon Age games and the continued success of the Mass Effect series after my departure make it pretty clear that BioWare can get along just fine without me, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the games as a fan rather than from the other side of the fence.”

Karpyshyn inked many a Bioware title, including: Baldur’s Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire and the Mass Effect series.

Bioware is seriously going to be hurting from this. We've seen what their games are like without him(Dragon Age 2). Let's hope they hire some new, high quality writer and not another fat twilight fan.
#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Good, maybe their pretentious bullshit over-romanticized writing will cease to exist, it's like a fucking plague at this point.

#3 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

After the blowback from the latest Mass Effect novel, the first not written by him, I'm worried. That made me think he's the only one at Bioware with power over this stuff who gave a shit about consistency and upholding standards when it comes to handling their properties. His bosses didn't seem to have any trouble signing off on that POS.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

Yeah ME3 might very well be the last Bioware game I seriously care about.

#5 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
Good, maybe their pretentious bullshit over-romanticized writing will cease to exist, it's like a fucking plague at this point.
It's going to get 10 times worse without him. Get ready for Twlight quality romances.
#6 Posted by Bocam (3755 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: You have Hamburger Helper to thank for that.

#7 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Unexpected. 

#8 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@AhmadMetallic said:
It's going to get 10 times worse without him. Get ready for Twlight quality romances.

we weren't already there?

#9 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's not going anywhere. Cheap romance is basically Bioware's defining quality for a lot of people now. Just look at the way that they tout all the romance options in Mass Effect 3 as an important feature. As long as those creeps on their official forums remain, we'll be stuck with that shit. OBSIDIAN! SAVE US FROM BIOWARE! PLEASE!

#10 Posted by TheHT (11299 posts) -

Bummer. But better he leaves than stick around not feeling it, I suppose.

#11 Edited by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -

I enjoyed the mans work, but Bioware's a big company, and there are a lot of people there to fill the void. He made it through the ME trilogy, and it might be good to get a new voice in there when they start spinning up a new ME game.

#12 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Aw dang it. There goes BioWare. I have a feeling they'll slip further and further down the drain and become another studio to die off under EA, whether it be creatively or the actual studio gets closed.

#13 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

DREW NO!

#14 Posted by DeathByWaffle (636 posts) -

Aren't all of you guys overreacting a bit?

#15 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

People come and go. I don't really care.

#16 Posted by pw2566ch (480 posts) -

I hope he continues writing his novels. As for the games, well, I guess Bioware is screwed.

#17 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@DeathByWaffle said:

It's Bioware. Ever since Dragon Age 2 came out, everybody overreacts to everything Bioware related.

#18 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

AMEN! Go read the books he writes. I have...they are not that good.

#19 Posted by mordukai (7151 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@DeathByWaffle said:

It's Bioware. Ever since Dragon Age 2 came out, everybody overreacts to everything Bioware related.

Dude. I think in DA2 case everyone has the right to overreact.

#20 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@DeathByWaffle said:

Just like all the characters in Dragon Age 2.

#21 Posted by Obsidian (346 posts) -

@Chop said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

It's not going anywhere. Cheap romance is basically Bioware's defining quality for a lot of people now. Just look at the way that they tout all the romance options in Mass Effect 3 as an important feature. As long as those creeps on their official forums remain, we'll be stuck with that shit. OBSIDIAN! SAVE US FROM BIOWARE! PLEASE!

No one can save you now.

#22 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Twilight quality would be a huge upgrade over the romances in Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I am not even kidding.

#23 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4524 posts) -

@Chop said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Good lord, that just reminded me about this debate I had with someone about TOR and they tried to bring up the romance options in the game as 'a serious decision that made you invested in the character' or something stupid like that. I forget their exact wording or what we were specifically arguing about for that matter. Pointt is, I watched a few of the cutscenes for some romance options in TOR and all I can say is "what the fuck." Cheap doesn't even begin to describe it. It's like it was written for a children's cartoon. "You said something nice? That's sweet. I think I'm starting to love you. Hey, we should get married." Don't get me wrong, it doesn't have to mirror reality, but fuck me, would it hurt them to try and take a bit more pride with that stuff.

#24 Posted by Rookwood (34 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned, the last game Bioware ever made was Mass Effect. After that the entire studio was destroyed by a rampaging, slobbering ogre.

#25 Posted by Jwkokosmakroon (158 posts) -

This thread stinks, go have fun somewhere!

#26 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -

I'd leave too after hearing about that balloon thing.

#27 Posted by Hero_Swe (1149 posts) -
#28 Posted by Hailinel (24851 posts) -
@Shun_Akiyama
Balloon thing?
#29 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/02/16/bioware-writer-drew-karpyshyn-to-retire-from-game-industry/

“During my time at BioWare I worked on a number of beloved and award winning titles,” he wrote on his bog. “I’m proud of everything we accomplished, and I know going forward that BioWare will continue to live up to its well deserved reputation for making the best story driven games in the industry.

“The story and dialog in any BioWare game is the result of an entire team of writers working together, and I often felt I received an excessive amount of the credit for the games we created.

“The Dragon Age games and the continued success of the Mass Effect series after my departure make it pretty clear that BioWare can get along just fine without me, and I’m looking forward to experiencing the games as a fan rather than from the other side of the fence.”

Karpyshyn inked many a Bioware title, including: Baldur’s Gate, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire and the Mass Effect series.

Bioware is seriously going to be hurting from this. We've seen what their games are like without him(Dragon Age 2). Let's hope they hire some new, high quality writer and not another fat twilight fan.

A tad over the top don't you think?

#30 Posted by Subjugation (4720 posts) -

This bites. Drew did some good writing. I read his Mass Effect tie-in novel that released before the first Mass Effect and much to my surprise I enjoyed it. It was my first video game based novel and it was actually good.

#31 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

God damn it. 
Bioware, you motherfuckers.  
What happened. 

#32 Posted by Commisar123 (1793 posts) -

Well I hope they can get someone to replace him. I think he was pretty good at his job, and I wish him the best of luck in the future.

#33 Posted by LOTR_Dan (67 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@DeathByWaffle said:

This

#34 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

Kinda weird how public opinion turned so much on Bioware for just one poor game, but I guess that's the age we live in.

#35 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

@LOTR_Dan said:

@CL60 said:

@DeathByWaffle said:

This

And the only fault with that game tha has any sense is the over use of the levels , but aside from that it is a fantastic game.

#36 Posted by Swoxx (3000 posts) -

That sucks, I really enjoyed the Mass Effect novels.

#37 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3484 posts) -

Jeez, you guys are a bunch of myopic, mardy twats.

#38 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm pretty sure this guy has nothing to do with the over-romanced sub-stories found in the recent Bioware games.

#39 Posted by Eeptog (114 posts) -

I guess this explains why all their writing is atrocious now.

#40 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

@Ventilaator said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Twilight quality would be a huge upgrade over the romances in Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I am not even kidding.

Hey hey, I'll be the last person to say that the romance options in bioware games are particularly compelling, but let's not say things we can't take back here.

#41 Posted by BlastProcessing (917 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Ever heard of Hamburger Helper?

#42 Posted by Jazz2 (151 posts) -

All you guys are gonna pay 60 bucks for ME 3 the day it comes out.

Just saying

#43 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Hopefully he will write more novels, I like his style.

#44 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Shun_Akiyama
Balloon thing?

Apparently having a fun thing where some people can get an early copy of the game for free is a bad thing or something.

#45 Posted by Hailinel (24851 posts) -
@CL60

@Hailinel said:

@Shun_Akiyama
Balloon thing?

Apparently having a fun thing where some people can get an early copy of the game for free is a bad thing or something.

That's not particularly clarifying.
#46 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

He was a good writer and a really nice bloke, shame he's going.

BioWare will miss him.

#47 Posted by CheapPoison (733 posts) -

People ! People !

Relax! David Jaffe said that story telling in games in dodgy at best!

But really how much will one guy leaving change things?

#48 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@CL60

@Hailinel said:

@Shun_Akiyama
Balloon thing?

Bioware is sending copies of the game up into space, and they're going to come down, and the first people to find them can have them.

#49 Posted by Brodehouse (9951 posts) -

I don't want to make one of those "this place" comments, but you guys really bum me out.  If you are so enraptured with anger and dislike for a company, why do you spend so much of your time talking about it?  What's your plan, to change everyone's minds with your insightful commentary?

#50 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@CL60 said:

@Hailinel said:

@CL60

@Hailinel said:

@Shun_Akiyama
Balloon thing?

Bioware is sending copies of the game up into space, and they're going to come down, and the first people to find them can have them.

What if they land in the ocean? They don't even know if the game will be intact after the balloon crashes. Someone's probably going to be stabbed at the crash site. It's a really dumb idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.