Biowares biggest year ever?

#1 Posted by brandoncooper17 (153 posts) -

Dragon age 2 comes out this year, this summer or spring  star wars the old republic comes out than in late holiday mass effect 3. All these games all in one year.

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Cool.

#3 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Well, maybe, let us play all of the games then judge them.

I am more excited about the Witcher 2 :)

#4 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

More like gaming's biggest year ever. Have you looked at a release list? Shit is crazy!

#5 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -

Dumbed down, pathetic excuses of an RPG. Great...

#6 Posted by Unchained (1080 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
" More like gaming's biggest year ever. Have you looked at a release list? Shit is crazy! "
This.
#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@valrog said:
" Dumbed down, pathetic excuses of an RPG. Great... "
Heh, you're cute.
#8 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -
Whenever TOR comes out will be Bioware's biggest year.  They know DA2 and ME3 will do just fine, but TOR has much higher stakes and the outcome is anybody's guess.

@Enigma777 said:
" More like gaming's biggest year ever. Have you looked at a release list? Shit is crazy! "
Totally.  And unless publishers are real relaxed about moving their release dates around, this year is gonna be a bloodbath.  It's gonna be awesome.
#9 Posted by Ghostin (369 posts) -

Probably, personally though I think the year or two after these games come out are the biggest for Bioware.  They will be the years we will truly see if them being owned has changed how they devlelop their games.
#10 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
Of course, DNF is coming out! Or is it...
#11 Posted by Matthew (1911 posts) -
@valrog said:
Typically I'd get all kinds of up in your face, seeing this as mostly a troll post.... 
But you're right.  
Mass Effect 3 or Neverwinter Nights? It was turned into a shooter with slight RPG elements. 
Dragon Age, or Dragon Age II? The first game was meant to be a throwback to older RPGs, and now they're shifting towards a more console friendly experience, and all that entails. 
The Old Republic....I'm not going to touch this, as I have absolutely no background with MMOs. 

So you're right valrog - the games Bioware is coming out with this year (two out of the three anyway) are dumbed down versions of what genre they may be shooting for.
#12 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

Hold on, has Mass Effect 3 been confirmed for 2011? Makes more sense to release it in January like ME2.

#13 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
 also Bethesda's year

@Jimbo said:
" Whenever TOR comes out will be Bioware's biggest year.  They know DA2 and ME3 will do just fine, but TOR has much higher stakes and the outcome is anybody's guess."
the fuck is TOR ?
#14 Edited by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:

"  also Bethesda's year

@Jimbo said:

" Whenever TOR comes out will be Bioware's biggest year.  They know DA2 and ME3 will do just fine, but TOR has much higher stakes and the outcome is anybody's guess."

the fuck is TOR ? "
 The Old Republic.
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Underachiever007:  um yeah excuse me but with all the star wars game name abbreviations i keep getting confused.. so he's talking about this year's MMO, kay.
#16 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic: Yeah, took me a while to figure that out as well.
#17 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

Play TOR for free month, go back to WoW. 

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it's mistakes.

#18 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

I don't really care that people say these are "dumbed down versions of RPGs" as I find the old CRPGs atrocious, but I will say that TOR looks like shit.

#19 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -

Leveling mechanics, skill trees, and dice rolls don't make an RPG.  Just sayin'.

#20 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5797 posts) -

Too bad none of those games look interesting.

#21 Edited by mordukai (7129 posts) -
@Matthew said:

" @valrog said:

Typically I'd get all kinds of up in your face, seeing this as mostly a troll post.... But you're right.  Mass Effect 3 or Neverwinter Nights? It was turned into a shooter with slight RPG elements. Dragon Age, or Dragon Age II? The first game was meant to be a throwback to older RPGs, and now they're shifting towards a more console friendly experience, and all that entails. The Old Republic....I'm not going to touch this, as I have absolutely no background with MMOs.  So you're right valrog - the games Bioware is coming out with this year (two out of the three anyway) are dumbed down versions of what genre they may be shooting for. "
They are saying DA2 on the PC will be virtually the same. Frankly I'll learn to live with the changes if the story will be better. The only thing that's weak about DAO is the weak story. The one thing that does get me worried about DA2 is what Vinny, or brad, said of it. I can't remember who but they kinda mentioned that it has the linear level design ME2 had.
#22 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

SWTOR won't come out this year. 

But yeah, it's still gunna be a big and awesome year for Bioware.

#23 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
@valrog: Try playing DA:O on hard., or ME2 on Legendary.
#24 Posted by dragonzord (811 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" Leveling mechanics, skill trees, and dice rolls don't make an RPG.  Just sayin'. "
Neither do dialog choices or shooting galleries
#25 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

One of them, for sure. 
#26 Posted by coaxmetal (1569 posts) -
@Enigma777 said:
Well, except 1998 maybe. And that is assuming all the games slated for this year actually ship this year. For instance, ME3 is slated for the end of the year, I would not be too surprised if it ended up shipping in 2012. 

I am pretty excited for the Witcher 2 though, loved the first one.
#27 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

2007 is the best year in gaming. 2011 will come close to beating it but we'll see... Also the guys who are bitching about Bioware's latest and future games are arrogant, misguided fools.

#28 Posted by JoyfullOFrockets (1177 posts) -

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

#29 Posted by tooPrime (338 posts) -
@Matthew said:
" @valrog said:
Typically I'd get all kinds of up in your face, seeing this as mostly a troll post.... But you're right.  Mass Effect 3 or Neverwinter Nights? It was turned into a shooter with slight RPG elements. Dragon Age, or Dragon Age II? The first game was meant to be a throwback to older RPGs, and now they're shifting towards a more console friendly experience, and all that entails. The Old Republic....I'm not going to touch this, as I have absolutely no background with MMOs.  So you're right valrog - the games Bioware is coming out with this year (two out of the three anyway) are dumbed down versions of what genre they may be shooting for. "
Please Neverwinter nights was a dumbed down experience.  Baldur's Gate is where it is at.  You have to reload the quick save to get maximum health per level and spending 30 minutes rerolling dice to get good  starting attributes.  That is how men play RPGs.
#30 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -
@tooPrime said:
"You have to reload the quick save to get maximum health per level and spending 30 minutes rerolling dice to get good  starting attributes.  That is how men play RPGs. "
This made me laugh :) Good job, sir.
#31 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1051 posts) -

Jade Empire 2 coming out?

#32 Posted by JeanLuc (3565 posts) -

You know what? 
I love video games! Thats what its really all about guys.

#33 Edited by valrog (3671 posts) -
@salad10203:  Origins on Nightmare I agree (I never said anything bad about Origins, now that I think about it), but Mass Effect 2 is a joke.

Also, way to completely miss my point.
#34 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

Old Republic isn't until next year and I don't think Mass Effect 3 will be out until 2012 as well. They have awesome games in the pipeline I just don't think they'll all land this year.

#35 Posted by Skytylz (4025 posts) -
@02sfraser: According to this site, The Old Republic comes out in June.  You might be right though, seems like this game is taking forever.  Really makes me wish they would have  just done KOTOR 3.
#36 Posted by Andorski (5179 posts) -
@zoner said:
" @Andorski said:
" Leveling mechanics, skill trees, and dice rolls don't make an RPG.  Just sayin'. "
Neither do dialog choices or shooting galleries "
Word.  Which is why I am glad Bioware decided that game quality is more important than sticking to dated conventions of a genre.
#37 Posted by warxsnake (2634 posts) -

<3 Bioware and the doctors, keep doing what you do.

#38 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4252 posts) -

Don't forget the DLC...the tons and tons of DLC...

#39 Posted by brandoncooper17 (153 posts) -
@Stete said:
" Hold on, has Mass Effect 3 been confirmed for 2011? Makes more sense to release it in January like ME2.   "
Nope 2011 it says fall 2011 on there site.
#40 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -
@brandoncooper17 said:
" @Stete said:
" Hold on, has Mass Effect 3 been confirmed for 2011? Makes more sense to release it in January like ME2.   "
Nope 2011 it says fall 2011 on there site. "
So in 2011 we will see the release of Dragon Age 2, Elder Scrolls 5, Mass Effect 3 and (fat chance but that's what Blizzard is aiming at according to eurogamer ) Diablo 3? If that happens then civilization will fall. It won't be a nuclear holocaust or a cataclysmic event, it would just be unproductivity. 
#41 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -
@Skytylz:  Really? That's weird because EA said it was next year. Still got Beta testing to do and there is a lot of work to do since it's a MMO. Not Going to play it so not bothered when it comes out. Hope it's soon for people looking forward to it.
#42 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I love how the GiantBomb community all of a sudden hates Bioware and say all of their games coming out look like shit, even when they really don't.

#43 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I love how the GiantBomb all of a sudden hates Bioware and say all of their games coming out look like shit, even when they really don't. "
Or call them "dumbed down RPG's". 
#44 Posted by fallen_elite (380 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I love how the GiantBomb community all of a sudden hates Bioware and say all of their games coming out look like shit, even when they really don't. "
lol I remember all of the Dragon Age 1 haters that there were before it was released because of EA's shitty trailers. No one thought it was going to be good.
#45 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
@Stete said:
Yeah i thought that ME3 got pushed back to 2012 feb or jan...
#46 Posted by Skald (4366 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I love how the GiantBomb community all of a sudden hates Bioware and say all of their games coming out look like shit, even when they really don't. "
And speculates on the quality of their unreleased games. 

I mean, Bioware says that Dragon Age 2 is going to be better on consoles and all of a sudden people think it's the retarded game for stupid people? What's up with that?
#47 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@extremeradical said:
" @CL60 said:
And speculates on the quality of their unreleased games.  I mean, Bioware says that Dragon Age 2 is going to be better on consoles and all of a sudden people think it's the retarded game for stupid people? What's up with that? "
It's how this community operates, they judge games in their entirety based on assumptions, and minute long trailers.
#48 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -
@valrog: @valrog said:
" @salad10203:  Origins on Nightmare I agree (I never said anything bad about Origins, now that I think about it), but Mass Effect 2 is a joke.  Also, way to completely miss my point. "
The days of hardcore RPG's aren't dead, they are just an option in today's games now.  RPG's can be hardcore with higher difficulty settings (Witcher 2 one-death mode) but also they can be put on easy/normal for casual gamers.  Try beating ME2 on Legendary and you will see there is a challenge there.  Also, way to sound like an asshole.
#49 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -
@amir90 said:
" I am more excited about the Witcher 2 :) "
Damn straight, all of the preview material for it leads me to believe it's the kind of game I dream about. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.