Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka Are Leaving BioWare

Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -
Muzyka and Zeschuk helped found BioWare in Canada back in 1995. In 2007 it sold to EA.

UPDATE: BioWare has confirmed the news in a blog post with comments from both Zeschuk and Muzyka.

It appears both are (for now) leaving games.

Muzyka apparently told EA about his decision back in April 2012, and allowed the company six months to set up a proper transition.

"I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge," said Muzyka. "I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next ‘chapter’ will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing."

Zeschuk's letter was much more somber, and sounded akin to a man defeated by his work load.

"This decision isn’t without significant pain and regret, but it’s also something I know I need to do, for myself and my family," said Zeschuk. "I’ve reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation. For the people I have had the privilege of working with, however, my passion burns as brightly as it did the day we started."

In the immediate future, Zeschuk will pursue his passion for craft beer, and host a web series where he interviews beer creators. It's possible he'll come back to games at a later date, but maybe not.

"If not, I’ll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different," he said. "Ultimately time will tell."

--

At an internal meeting this morning, BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka announced the duo are leaving the company, I’m told by multiple sources close to the situation.

It’s unclear why Zeschuk and Muzyka are leaving.

BioWare and Electronic Arts shipped Star Wars: The Old Republic last December to a mixed critical reception, and the game has struggled to hold onto users since. Dragon Age 3: Inquisition was formally announced yesterday, running on DICE’s Frostbite 2 engine, and is scheduled for a release in late 2013.

Electronic Arts has not respond to my request for comment.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3471 posts) -
Muzyka and Zeschuk helped found BioWare in Canada back in 1995. In 2007 it sold to EA.

UPDATE: BioWare has confirmed the news in a blog post with comments from both Zeschuk and Muzyka.

It appears both are (for now) leaving games.

Muzyka apparently told EA about his decision back in April 2012, and allowed the company six months to set up a proper transition.

"I now desire to take on a brand new entrepreneurial challenge," said Muzyka. "I believe strongly in the power of free enterprise to enable sustainable change, so my next ‘chapter’ will likely focus on an entirely new industry, something exciting, different and frankly downright scary – investing in and mentoring new entrepreneurs, and more specifically, the field of social/impact investing."

Zeschuk's letter was much more somber, and sounded akin to a man defeated by his work load.

"This decision isn’t without significant pain and regret, but it’s also something I know I need to do, for myself and my family," said Zeschuk. "I’ve reached an unexpected point in my life where I no longer have the passion that I once did for the company, for the games, and for the challenge of creation. For the people I have had the privilege of working with, however, my passion burns as brightly as it did the day we started."

In the immediate future, Zeschuk will pursue his passion for craft beer, and host a web series where he interviews beer creators. It's possible he'll come back to games at a later date, but maybe not.

"If not, I’ll have drunk a lot of tasty beers and may be back in games or even something else completely different," he said. "Ultimately time will tell."

--

At an internal meeting this morning, BioWare co-founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka announced the duo are leaving the company, I’m told by multiple sources close to the situation.

It’s unclear why Zeschuk and Muzyka are leaving.

BioWare and Electronic Arts shipped Star Wars: The Old Republic last December to a mixed critical reception, and the game has struggled to hold onto users since. Dragon Age 3: Inquisition was formally announced yesterday, running on DICE’s Frostbite 2 engine, and is scheduled for a release in late 2013.

Electronic Arts has not respond to my request for comment.

Staff
#2 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

Oh Shit

#3 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Well....I guess that's the end, then.

#4 Posted by Nudelwudel (11 posts) -

That's crazy.

#5 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3020 posts) -

I remember hearing rumors about this a few months back.  Finally happened, eh?

#6 Posted by Brandino (246 posts) -

With the decline in quality from their last few games this doesn't surprise me.

#7 Posted by Thomper (65 posts) -

What Jeff said. Woah.

#8 Posted by NYHorn36 (34 posts) -

Yikes.

#9 Posted by jdeano (37 posts) -

Poor Bioware

#10 Posted by datarez (540 posts) -

Oh man EA and it's hands in everything.

#11 Posted by Eojay (183 posts) -

Nail in the coffin.

#12 Posted by Thoseposers (780 posts) -

shit dude

#13 Posted by positron (43 posts) -

Boom

#14 Posted by asitnick (1 posts) -

The Docs :(

#15 Posted by KensterFox (246 posts) -

Well, it was nice while it lasted. Looking forward to seeing what these two do next.

#16 Posted by Superfriend (1526 posts) -

I guess Star Wars is to blame for this? Sucks for the guys.. maybe they´ll join up with Obsidian or something.

#17 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

SCOOOOOOOPS

#18 Posted by Warihay (480 posts) -

Oh. Shit.

#19 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Oh shit

#20 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -

Ha, so it wasn't a simple rumor!

#21 Edited by Packie (255 posts) -

Hey guys, Obsidian is still hiring. Just saying.

Edit: It looks like they're retiring. Well, it's a shame but I respect their decision. Hope them the best even if I didn't like their recent games.

#22 Posted by TheGorilla (228 posts) -

WHAAAT?!

#23 Posted by Demoskinos (14562 posts) -

Oh man.

#24 Posted by Nitrium (21 posts) -

@Brandino: Definitely, yeah. No big surprise. Hopefully we will see a new studio or something, bringing over some talents from the industry to release great games again.

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14342 posts) -

Holy crap. That's huge. That's like Gabe Newell leaving Valve. Or Miyamoto leaving Nintendo.

#26 Posted by nickux (1383 posts) -

Thing just keep getting worse for Bioware it seems. What a shame. I wonder what's next for those two.

#27 Edited by megalowho (960 posts) -

Oh, shit!

Scoops!

#28 Posted by evanbower (1210 posts) -

I live in Canada. Do I.... still have to go in to work today?

#29 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

Incoming kickstarter? :)

#30 Edited by Loose (419 posts) -

@ReyGitano said:

Oh Shit

@Warihay said:

Oh. Shit.

@SlightConfuse said:

Oh shit

@megalowho said:

Oh, shit!

#31 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2923 posts) -

Bananas.

I hope they open another studio.

#32 Posted by Nadril (523 posts) -

Oh fuck. That is huge.

#33 Posted by Kingloo (85 posts) -

I hope Greg flipped out and started throwing stuff, like the Bombcast bit from a while ago.

#34 Posted by wumbo3000 (937 posts) -

I think the most important question people need to ask is: Why?

#35 Posted by MAJID (208 posts) -

Wow ... just wow. Really bad news.

#36 Edited by Jkwasi (4 posts) -

Wow, Thanks EA

#37 Posted by Milkman (16527 posts) -

Guess that rumor from a couple months back was true. If I needed anymore confirmation that Dragon Age 3 is going to be just as crap as Dragon Age 2, here it is.

#38 Posted by Ouren (134 posts) -

oh shit

#39 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

HOLY.FUCKIN.SHIT!

#40 Edited by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Those two guys founded a really great company that made a lot of high-quality games that pushed boundaries when it came to storytelling. It's really unfortunate that it has come to this, and is probably telling of how the company will be handled moving forward.

Hate to play the cynic, but thanks again, EA.

#41 Posted by CharAznable (776 posts) -

Still waiting for someone to fulfill the Bombcast Bounty and come forward with a secret audio recording of these dude flipping out at a board meeting or something.

#42 Posted by Fobwashed (1899 posts) -

More than anything else, I'm curious where they're headed or if they plan on opening a new studio. Also curious to see if they poach any other Bioware employees wherever they're headed.

#43 Posted by Droop (1828 posts) -

Probably some internal conflict with EA?

#44 Posted by EpicSteve (6471 posts) -

What the fuck, over!?

#45 Posted by Ketchupp (672 posts) -

I hope it's for a good reason at least.

#46 Posted by l3illyl3ob (278 posts) -

Countdown to a Kickstarter project form them starting now.

#47 Posted by Undeadpool (4908 posts) -

Hopefully they can do their own thang, it's not like they're lacking cache in the industry. I mean you wanna see an overnight Kickstarter funding, just list all the games these two have been behind.

And, regardless of what happens, I'm just glad they made it through the Mass Effect main trilogy before leaving.

#48 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Yes.

#49 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Every week people are leaving companies and studios get shut down...where are the good video game news? :/

#50 Posted by Sbaitso (502 posts) -

Should have chiggity checked themselves before they riggity wrecked themselves....this is too bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.