Greg Zeschuk, Ray Muzyka Are Leaving BioWare

#101 Posted by Winternet (8019 posts) -

This was not a matter of if but a matter of when.

#102 Posted by ManiacMaysin (370 posts) -

I know a developer is more than just two people, but those two probably played a big part in creating amazing games like Baldur's Gate. This news isn't too surprising, but still . . . wonder what will become of Bioware . . . wonder what those two will do next.

#103 Posted by Carlos1408 (1507 posts) -

Wow that was unexpected. I'm interested to see where there next move will take them in game development. I'm hoping something interesting. :D

#104 Posted by SeanFoster (868 posts) -

I'm starting to come around to that "EA is the worst company in America" notion.

#105 Posted by TheHT (11285 posts) -

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

#106 Edited by eloj (497 posts) -

They probably couldn't live with shipping DA3 on their watch. #ikid

#107 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

Oh noes D:

#108 Posted by MachoFantastico (4700 posts) -

Wish them well, always got the feeling they weren't exactly at home with EA. Hope they go on to do great things.

#109 Posted by MannAlive (155 posts) -

Wow. They've really had their spirits crushed. But given some time to recover, I wonder if they'll ever return to games.

#110 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Goddamnit....

#111 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Retirement is what I would have done. Good for them. Hope the retired life suits them well.

Thanks for all the great games! Have a good one.

#112 Posted by JamieOD (75 posts) -

Everybody panic!!!

#113 Posted by evanbower (1211 posts) -

@ChosenOne said:

It's a rare condition, this day and age,

to read any good news on the GB frontpage.

Love and tradition of the grand design,

some people say it's even harder to find...

Well then there must be some magic clue, inside this gentle walls.

Cause all I see, is a tower of dreams. Real love bursting out of every seam!

#114 Posted by positron (43 posts) -

Retiring? Well that's a huge loss to gaming if true.

#115 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

@ChosenOne said:

It's a rare condition, this day and age,

to read any good news on the GB frontpage.

Love and tradition of the grand design,

some people say it's even harder to find...

+1,000,000 for that.

This year has been a real bummer for studios closing and people leaving :/

#116 Posted by cmblasko (1236 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish: Not that it improves EA's track record, and I am just nit-picking, but they weren't responsible for 38's closing at all.

#117 Edited by Make_Me_Mad (3100 posts) -

I think the only really unexpected part here is that they're retiring from the Game industry altogether. When Zeschuk says he has no more passion for the business, you have to wonder what kind of soul-devouring happens at EA.

#118 Posted by snetErz (120 posts) -

Well after reading the blog posts from the Docs, they are clearly moving away from gaming, and perusing alternate careers. One going to social/impact entrepreneurship, and the other doing a beer radio show. And supposedly they made the decision to leave many months ago.

#119 Posted by CornBREDX (5304 posts) -

I'm not surprised. BioWare is going down the tubes and they probably don't see a way to fix it now so they are jumping ship. Probably a smart move at this point.  
I'm sure a lot of EAs current grandstanding has something to do with it among other things they'd know more about than I. Just a guess though.

#120 Posted by paulunga (2020 posts) -

Good. I'm looking forward to their new studio coming out with oldschool RPG goodness. I liked Mass Effect 3 fine but otherwise I thought some of their more recent games were lacking.

#121 Posted by KevSlider (92 posts) -

R.I.P. Bioware :(

#122 Posted by theMuse (208 posts) -

Saw this coming. The quality of Bioware has been going downhill for some time. It's pretty evident when you look at ME2 and ME3 side by side. ME3 was good, but ME2 was amazing. And then there is the nonsense with their PR and community staff.

#123 Posted by Daveyo520 (6761 posts) -

Well, I hope someone picks up the Bioware torch or they found a new company.

#124 Posted by NorseDudeTR (423 posts) -

Because EA.

#125 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3100 posts) -
@paulunga
There is no "new" studio for them.  They're flat-out retiring from games.
#126 Posted by dr_mantas (1887 posts) -

Goddamit. Goddamit, EA.

I'm not one to jump on a game company, and I know this has been a long time coming. But god fucking dammit.

I hope they create a new studio, call it fucking Physoft or something... and make Jade Empire 2.

#127 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

Good riddance. They didnt really give a shit about their games anymore.

#128 Posted by Rabid619 (1098 posts) -

Yikes, this can't be good for Bioware as a whole. I'll still love Bioware to death though until they prove to me that they no longer deserve it. I was apparently one of the few people that didn't have my faith in them destroyed by ME3.

#129 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Yet again EA proves that they destroy every developer they touch. It won't be long until they take what's left of Bioware behind the barn, shoot it and dump in the mass grave where all the other dead developers lie.

#130 Posted by Dezinus (278 posts) -

That is... telling.

#131 Posted by ajamafalous (11997 posts) -

I will never not laugh at that picture.

#132 Edited by BatmanBatman (371 posts) -

One does not simple craft beer...

Also yeah, bummer ...

#133 Edited by chilibean_3 (1642 posts) -

Holy fuck. This sucks.

EA. Most evil company in America.

#134 Posted by Marshermallow (213 posts) -

I'm kinda happy, I didn't like the way EA was handling the Bioware name. A fresh start is probably just what the doctor ordered

#135 Edited by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

Didn't this happen some months ago?

E: Also what's the point in replacing the and with a comma? Such a lazy trend in news articles.

#136 Posted by Triphos (80 posts) -

Leaving games for craft brewing? Trading up.

#137 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Man, that's really effing sad.

This year is a big, fat bummer you guys!

#138 Posted by Davin (243 posts) -

If there were any doubts left about BioWare's future direction, they're gone now.

#139 Posted by Hunter5024 (5688 posts) -

With this news I have to wonder how much creative control these guys were responsible for in the last few years.

#140 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

So it's true after all, what do you know.

#141 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

They were both like "FUCK THIS SHIT!" and bounced out.

#142 Posted by shway (176 posts) -

ME3 + TOR = DEADWARE :O

#143 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Didn't this happen some months ago?

E: Also what's the point in replacing the and with a comma? Such a lazy trend in news articles.

That's called AP Style. What's with people bitching without knowing what the fuck they're talking about? Such a lazy trend in internet commenting.

#144 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Criterion next.

Oh man that's like the saddest thing i have ever seen :(

#145 Posted by Paul_Tillich (178 posts) -

Sounds like BioWare became a little too much like EA and burned out the good doctors. Huge bummer, though good for them. Keep pursuing some passion instead of being crushed and hating your life.

#146 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

How can anything bad happen in games post #teambrad? This was coming i guess. DA2 reactions and ME3 fiasco probably made them hate everyone. Like nothing was good enough even tho other games they put out were called some of the best ever, I know I would be fed up if I were them.

#147 Posted by Abendlaender (2806 posts) -

Bullfrog, Westwood, Origin Systems, Bioware......thanks EA

How about ruining Valve next?

#148 Edited by avantegardener (1126 posts) -

Wowzers. Well with the disappointing reception of Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 and TOR its certainly easy to see how pastures new might seem more appealing. How much of this is down to EA interference, who can say?

#149 Posted by Mystyr_E (1190 posts) -

wonder if Casey Hudson is gonna follow soon after or he's gonna take on a bigger role

#150 Posted by myslead (929 posts) -

leaving a sinking ship

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.