Ray & Greg's 5 Games of the Decade

#1 Edited by Spacetrucking (941 posts) -

Via [The Escapist

I guess this is as good a time as any to discuss what do the doctors at BioWare think about the last decade in gaming. Here are their lists

Dr. Ray Muzyka:

• Resident Evil 4 (2005)
  • BioShock (2007)
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007)
  • Fallout 3 (2008)
  • Uncharted 2 (2009) 

Dr. Greg Zeschuk:

• Vagrant Story (2000)
  • Resident Evil 4 (2005)
  • BioShock (2007)
  • Fallout 3 (2008)
  • LittleBigPlanet (2008)

Yup, all the usual suspects except Vagrant Story. Do you guys think the list is indicative of what inspired them to make Mass Effect ? I won't be surprised if they thought of making a shooter RPG hybrid immediately after playing RE4. And maybe I'm imagining things but there are a lot of subtle improvements in ME2 that can be directly attributed to Fallout 3 (the high quality optional missions and the incidental humor are the first things that come to mind). 

And maybe the presence of Vagrant Story on Greg's list will finally get some fans off his back for accusing JRPGs of lack of evolution
#2 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

I think RE4 was kind of overrated. Never played Vagrant story. And was greatly disappointed by LBP.

But whatever, its their opinion.

#3 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5376 posts) -

All of those are fantastic games.

#4 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11473 posts) -

I have to say... The Bioware doctors have good taste in video games. Makes sense, considering that they make great games.

#5 Posted by HatKing (5815 posts) -

Seem to be a bunch of games that a lot of people really like.  I am not into all or even most of those, but Bioshock and Fallout 3 both hold a special place in my heart.
#6 Posted by Khann (2782 posts) -
@Killjoi said:
 there are a lot of subtle improvements in ME2 that can be directly attributed to Fallout 3 (the high quality optional missions and the humor are the first things that come to mind). 
 "

Directly attributed to FO3? Rofl?
#7 Edited by GunnBjorn (2911 posts) -

To be honost... i find the lists a little save. 
I expected a more diverse line-up from the M.D.s.     
#8 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -
@Khann said:
" @Killjoi said:
 there are a lot of subtle improvements in ME2 that can be directly attributed to Fallout 3 (the high quality optional missions and the humor are the first things that come to mind). 
 "
 Directly attributed to FO3? Rofl? "
You think Bioware knew humor and quality side missions existed until fallout 3? get the fuck out.
#9 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

I don't know about best of the decade, but these are some good games.

#10 Posted by jkz (4002 posts) -

WHERE THE FUCK IS SOTC!?!?!?! 

In all seriousness, fine and predictable lists; wouldn't exactly be what I would have picked, but I take issue with none of the games on there (only with a couple not being on there)>

#11 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

Greg saying Vagrant Story makes me happy indeed.

#12 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

This raises a good question:

Leon Kennedy vs. Commander Shephard

hmmmmmmmm

#13 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1478 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" This raises a good question:  Leon Kennedy vs. Commander Shephard  hmmmmmmmm "
Shepard, he picks him up and throws Leon off a giant cliff.
End of fight.
#14 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" @emkeighcameron said:
" This raises a good question:  Leon Kennedy vs. Commander Shephard  hmmmmmmmm "
Shepard, he picks him up and throws Leon off a giant cliff. End of fight. "
A possibility, yes, but you musn't discount Leon's roundhouse kicks of fury.
#15 Posted by i69edUrGpa (586 posts) -

All of those games deserve to be on that list imo...not quite sure about LBP but hey...I have never played it so I won't judge

#16 Posted by Lambert (404 posts) -

Great list by these two visionaries. Other developers need to take serious notes from Bioware (and it seems they do since at GDC their keynote was packed).

I would say that JRPG devs should as well, but they are too arrogant and have legions of idiotic fanboys ready to buy every shitty game they make.

#17 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -
@Killjoi: Wow they both said Fallout 3
#18 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Vagrant Story is one of those games I feel guilty for not having played, like Valkyrie Profile.

#19 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

The doctors have good taste in games. 

Speaking of doctors: 

#20 Edited by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

Hmm interesting choices. Both chose Fallout and Bioshock. I'm not sure I can see any resemblance between Bioshock and ME. Maybe they tried with atmosphere? meh. I'm sad not to see Oblivion on those lists

#21 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I think Bioshock is overrated, and I've never played Vagrant Story, but the rest of the list looks pretty solid.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.