Rumour: Bioware founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have left

• 150 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/56545/haben-bioware-gruender-muzyka-zeschuk-bioware-verlassen

Holy shit, that's insane if it's true! Like, that's it. Bioware is well and truly dead. I can't believe a company that had amazing game, one after another, even in this generation with ME1 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins and then collapse on themselves so hard. I guess we'll know in a few days...

Star Wars - The Old Republic is suffering from a shrinking subscriber base. An optional switch to F2P in autumn is supposed to turn things around. And in May, for the second time, several employees of Bioware Austin have been let go in a "restructuring effort". Another bad news could be that Bioware founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka might have left Bioware – possibly because of the limited success of the MMO that started as a challenger of WoW.

A trustworthy source has been told by an employee of Bioware Austin yesterday that neither Greg Zeschuk nor Ray Muzyka have been present at a Bioware Company Meeting in Austin, Texas, just a few days ago. The employee claimed that this has not been the case before at such a meeting. The six others members of Bioware Austin's leadership have been there. Also, Greg Zeschuk has not been seen for several weeks now, the Bioware Austin employee claims.

There are supposed to be internal rumours at Bioware Austin that Ray Muzyka (pictured left) and Greg Zeschuk have left Bioware. According to our source, some employees at Bioware Austin fear that the company will be transformed into EA Austin.

Please note that this news is a rumour without any official confirmation.

#2 Posted by AlfredCapone (164 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

http://www.gamersglobal.de/news/56545/haben-bioware-gruender-muzyka-zeschuk-bioware-verlassen

Holy shit, that's insane if it's true! Like, that's it. Bioware is well and truly dead. I can't believe a company that had amazing game, one after another, even in this generation with ME1 and 2, Dragon Age: Origins and then collapse on themselves so hard. I guess we'll know in a few days...

Star Wars - The Old Republic is suffering from a shrinking subscriber base. An optional switch to F2P in autumn is supposed to turn things around. And in May, for the second time, several employees of Bioware Austin have been let go in a "restructuring effort". Another bad news could be that Bioware founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka might have left Bioware – possibly because of the limited success of the MMO that started as a challenger of WoW.

A trustworthy source has been told by an employee of Bioware Austin yesterday that neither Greg Zeschuk nor Ray Muzyka have been present at a Bioware Company Meeting in Austin, Texas, just a few days ago. The employee claimed that this has not been the case before at such a meeting. The six others members of Bioware Austin's leadership have been there. Also, Greg Zeschuk has not been seen for several weeks now, the Bioware Austin employee claims.

There are supposed to be internal rumours at Bioware Austin that Ray Muzyka (pictured left) and Greg Zeschuk have left Bioware. According to our source, some employees at Bioware Austin fear that the company will be transformed into EA Austin.

Please note that this news is a rumour without any official confirmation.

They went and off'd the guy....

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14516 posts) -

Fuck. If that is true then Bioware is done. They put WAY to much into that MMO. I hope this isn't true.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -

Would seem like a backward move. EA just spent a good amout of time promoting them and giving them a bunch of studios.

Then again, I guess SWTOR probably did lose some money and that was Dr. Greg's baby. Generally an executive takes the fall for something like that.

I have a feeling Riccitello will probably go before the Doctors.

#5 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -

Oh wait, it's a German website. So never fucking mind, the Doctors probably run EA now.

#6 Posted by Milkman (16481 posts) -

Good for them. Abandon that sinking ship while they still can. Hopefully, they can make a new studio and go back to being great. If this is true, of course.

#7 Posted by mbr2 (559 posts) -

How will I get my Tolkien and Star Wars derivative RPGs now!?

#8 Posted by Metal_Mills (2980 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
Oh wait, it's a German website. So never fucking mind, the Doctors probably run EA now.
Well if it's defense Rich Vogal, cofounder of Bioware Austin and executive producer of TOR just left. A bunch got sacked. Maybe the doctors decided it was a losing battle and left too,
#9 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Shame they they could have made Kotor 3 for half the price and probably double the profits.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@mbr2

Dragon Age is really far more Song of Ice and Fire derivative than Tolkein.
#11 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

This, really.
#12 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

Not sure I'd really care either way.

#13 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

lf they have left, I hope they stay in the game industry and don't go do something pointless like help sick people.

@Brodehouse said:

ha

#14 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Sooty

Shame they they could have made Kotor 3 for half the price and probably double the profits.

No they couldn't have. They are not a LucasArts company, they only got the license because it's an MMO. And they wouldn't make a single player Star Wars game when they have their own scifi franchise where they get all the profit.

They would've made a Mass Effect MMO if they thought they could.
#15 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This, really.

Oh my God! ... Noo!

#16 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This, really.

RIP Westwood. RIP Bullfrog.

/sniff

#17 Edited by Irvandus (2776 posts) -

Well German websites are always right. What does Gamebomb have to say on the matter?

@AngelN7: Shouldn't Origin be in that pile and Neversoft?

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (3486 posts) -

@Milkman said:

Good for them. Abandon that sinking ship while they still can. Hopefully, they can make a new studio and go back to being great. If this is true, of course.

Exactly what I was thinking. I really doubt it's true; but if it is, it's good news.

#19 Posted by mbr2 (559 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@mbr2

..... and what do you think George RR Martin based his work off?

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Tennmuerti Isn't Visceral the remannts or reformation of Westwood?

In related news, Drew Karpyshyn left last year, I wonder what he's doing now. I hope he keeps writing games instead of books. I know books are way easier.
#21 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

This is good news if it is true, they would be free to go do their own thing again.

#22 Edited by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I guess, but how much of it remains these days really? Original Westwood got disseminated long ago, with some sticking around as EALA and it has never been the same after that. Hopefully we will see if they amount to anything is that new C&C ever comes out.

Edit: as a poster below pointed out I was thinking of Bioware Victory.

#23 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@mbr2

@Brodehouse said:

@mbr2

The War of the Roses.
#24 Posted by Shivoa (606 posts) -

Filing under 'Important if True'.

#25 Posted by Patman99 (1557 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Milkman said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I really doubt it's true; but if it is, it's good news.

Although I love Bioware, the quality in there past few games while high in production values seems way too bland/mass market compared to their past games. DAII, MEIII, and SWTOR are all fine games but definitely felt like they were trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator in each of those games. If the Docs are leaving, I really hope they found another studio and go back to making games like the ones Bioware used to make. If they are staying, I hope all this shit is a wake-up call for EA to let Bioware get back to their roots rather than trying to sell a blockbuster game. I mean the hype that was centred around each of Bioware's latest games and essentially began with a hardcore RPG that was at the top of its class (DA:O, ME, and KOTOR).

#26 Posted by NegativeCero (2973 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This, really.

Holy crap.

Aren't they mostly business guys now? I guess I don't really know what the Zeschuk and Muzyka actually do at Bioware.

#27 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

This, really.

DICE and Visceral will join that list soon enough unfortunately.

#28 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Tennmuerti It's kind of hard to figure out how much of any company is really 'there' anymore (and if you'd actually want the original people 10 years later, would you want a John Romero FPS today? A Casey Hudson action-RPG ten years in the future?). This industry is young enough we don't have a lot of examples of an 'average' studio, or the 'normal' career path. Interesting to see where that goes.
#29 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

This would only be a good thing. EA have utterly destroyed them and their name.

They need to start over with a new company and go back to making in depth, quality games.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@mbr2 said:

@Brodehouse said:

@mbr2

Actually, A Song of Ice and Fire is heavily influenced and inspired by the War of the Roses.

#31 Posted by Shivoa (606 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind: A top-down narrative heavy RPG from the Dr.s, coming to a $1m+ Kickstarter near you soon!

#32 Posted by Ares42 (2555 posts) -

Hmm, if this is true then Riccotello would be fired so damn quick and EA would probably turn into something really really awful. I wouldn't blame them if they've felt like having to work under EAs gaze has been too constricting, but Bioware crashing and taking EA with it would really have a major impact on the industry.

#33 Edited by PenguinDust (12436 posts) -

If this is true then we'll have to wait a few years before we see something new from them and their new company. That's what usually happens, isn't it? Popular developer is bought by game publishing giant, doesn't like losing their independence, leaves company and starts a new smaller development house...which has its publishing rights snatched up by the former's biggest rival. So, their next game will be out by 2015 under the Activision label.

#34 Posted by atomic_dumpling (2451 posts) -

What's with the "German website" comments? Want to clue a German fellow in?

#35 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -
@Packie Ultimately all developers either rise and fall, and have their employees reform as other studios... Or they become so big they become publishers in their own right (Valve, Blizzard, Rockstar, Square). BioWare was/is actually on the way, with the amount of studios under them they're essentially EA's version of 2K's Rockstar subprint.

But ultimately, like... The rise and fall is the 99% case. Black Isle made great games but now they're Obsidian and inXile.
#36 Posted by niamahai (1404 posts) -

but to be honest, in today's gaming market, would any Westwood/Bullfrog/Origin game garner a mass market appeal?

#37 Edited by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Good riddance, I've wished Bioware nothing but ill after shitting their pants three times ina row with DA2, ME3 and TOR.

THAT'S THREE STRIKES YA HOSERS! YEEEEEEEEEEEEER OUT!

#38 Posted by papercut (3434 posts) -

This is insane. If this is true I feel bad for everyone else working a Bioware but I think we can asume that a lot of people will be jumping ship with them, ala Infinity Ward.

#39 Posted by AndrewB (7439 posts) -

I hope it's true. I always thought Bioware falling under EA was a bad move. Bioware was big enough to be calling the shots. I feel like they knew that, but had the rug pulled out from under them little by little until it wasn't true. I can't say for sure, since obviously I haven't seen what's going on behind the scenes. All I know is that, while it might have taken awhile for Bioware to show the influences and begin to slide, they really have with a lot of their post golden age releases.

But I guess that also depends on which Bioware you're talking about, since they've become so many splinter groups.

#40 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@Tennmuerti Isn't Visceral the remannts or reformation of Westwood?

Nah, that's Danger Close, the Medal of Honor guys.

#41 Posted by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

Well, it is just a rumor, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turns out to be true. Bioware is a mere shell of its former self at this point.

#42 Posted by Brendan (7666 posts) -

Assuming this isn't false, I wonder if the doctors "left" as in they thought they had to leave after TOR, rather then because they wanted to? Oh well, names don't matter at all, talent does, so my interest always follows the talent.

#43 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Whoa, that's crazy. Stranger things have happened in this industry.

#44 Edited by SaFt (379 posts) -

Oh, so they'll be going independent and get reduced to being a smartphone/social games developer. That's usually how it goes, right? Or maybe that's just all the big Japanese guys.

#45 Posted by Insectecutor (1176 posts) -

@Hailinel: Agreed. I feel like Bioware have been fully absorbed into EA and now the focus has shifted from innovation to rote regurgitation of what they are known for, even to the point where the very things they are interested in are being marginalised in favour of "what everyone wants", which is not the way to create new and interesting character interactions and stories. I hope this story is true because I think they could do better work as independents.

#46 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4247 posts) -

This would not surprise me one bit if it's true.

Maybe they'll stick around for C&C...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

#47 Edited by Brackynews (4037 posts) -

I refuse to believe anything until it comes out of Paul Barnett's mouth.

Anything.

#48 Posted by adoggz (2035 posts) -

I am also super board this Sunday, but really? this is a probable lie posted by some dumbass German website. lets not get our panties all in a bunch.

#49 Edited by BaconGames (3280 posts) -

As much as I think they deserve all the credit for the work they've done, its incredibly insulting to assume all the hard work that was put into making games at Bioware since Baldur's Gate all came down to the Doctors. Sure if they leave, that would be a public image dent but I feel like Bioware isn't dead automatically because they left. The Doctors are and pretty much always have been top level dudes. If they feel like they're not getting what they want in that context, it makes a lot of sense to move. The Bioware name might still mean something if they make another great game but if this is true and the next game from them doesn't do well then we can start talking.

I wouldn't be surprised given how shitty the management has been over the years at EA but I don't want to discredit all the staff who put in hard work at BioWare that aren't the Doctors. And this is still a rumor so fuck even giving this attention. This is why these stories are written because you can get the attention of the story without backing anything up. Its a reality that even GB have to run a rumor story every once in a while but yeah I rarely give it much thought until its confirmed.

#50 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -
@atomic_dumpling said:
What's with the "German website" comments? Want to clue a German fellow in?
It's bullshit. Euro gaming sites break many NDAs but they are not worse than American sites when it comes to rumors etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.