Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BioWare

Company »

BioWare is a game company that is currently owned by Electronic Arts (EA). It specializes in making role playing games that usually involve deep and engaging stories.

Why BioWare is my favorite game dev

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

I couldn't tell you why it's taken so long, but I'm just now realizing that BioWare is probably my favorite video game developer. The game worlds that they've created, and the game mechanics that they've pioneered/refined, have kept me coming back to their games again and again over the years. It's pretty incredible looking back on all of the great experiences BioWare has been able to deliver me.

I love you guys.
     I love you guys.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I couldn't tell you why it's taken so long, but I'm just now realizing that BioWare is probably my favorite video game developer. The game worlds that they've created, and the game mechanics that they've pioneered/refined, have kept me coming back to their games again and again over the years. It's pretty incredible looking back on all of the great experiences BioWare has been able to deliver me.

I love you guys.
     I love you guys.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

Kotor 2 was Obsidian, actually (and a significantly better game when the cut content patch was released, but that's another story)

and you can get baldur's gate 1 and 2 at good old games, if you can't find those discs :P

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Laketown said:

" Kotor 2 was Obsidian, actually ...  "

You're not wrong. I forgot. BioWare totally set the tone for the series though. :P 

and you can get baldur's gate 1 and 2 at good old games, if you can't find those discs :P    

I found the discs. They're a bit scratched, but they may still run. I hope they do, I'd like to revisit it.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Bioware is the shit.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Claude

Knights of the Old Republic was my first, what I would call, real RPG. It was also my first BioWare game. Oddly, Mass Effect was my first BioWare game I played on the PC. Now, I sometimes switch back and forth between my two main PC games, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Maybe one day I'll play some of their older games I missed. I'm hoping for a Steam sale on Jade Empire within the next month. I would really like to try that game. Go, go, go BioWare.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By mazik765

I concur with this blog.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By ssj4raditz
    @mazik765 said:
    " I concur with this blog. "
    I concur with this post about this blog.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Jimbo

Bioware used to really love their twists didn't they?  They pulled basically the same thing three games in a row and I still don't think I saw any of them coming.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Word

Jade Empire needs that extra lovin'

And possibly some more equipment customization items, but man was it a fun game.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Death_Unicorn

BioWare's knack for creating awesome games is amazing, and they too, are my favorite developer. KotOR is one of the best game experiences I've ever had, and plucked at my adoration of the Star Wars franchise in all the proper strings. The Mass Effect franchise is up there as well.

Dilenger93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Dilenger93

They have a great track record in my book. Every game I buy made buy them tends to be an overall joy to play.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Mass Effect and the first Kotor is the reason why I hold Bioware to such high standers.
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By benjaebe

KOTOR is such a great game. I really wish they would've just made another one instead of opting to pour tons of time and money into The Old Republic.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Dark_Jon

I loved how even though they do multiplatform, they totally add PC exclusive features like the reworked inventory and skills bar in Mass Effect and the Zoom out feature in Dragon Age. They are one of the few developers who I have faith in and feel that they know what they are doing and have a good reason behind everything.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By adoggz

hellzzzzz to da yeah *love bioware hi five*

Avatar image for gaming_religion
    gaming_religion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gaming_religion
    @ssj4raditz:  I concur with this post that concurs with that post that concurs with this blog.

Love Bioware, and having put an unimaginable amount of time into Dragon Age, I have developed a certain trust for 'em.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman

Yay, BioWare love abound! 

@Gaming_Religion: You have one of the greatest username/avatar combos on the site. Just FYI.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Jeust

I agree that Bioware is the shit, still I feel that some aspects, mainly the dynamics between the members of the party are feeling stale, and have been done better elsewhere. They should evolve the mould with which they make their games. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Claude said:
    " Knights of the Old Republic was my first, what I would call, real RPG. It was also my first BioWare game. Oddly, Mass Effect was my first BioWare game I played on the PC. Now, I sometimes switch back and forth between my two main PC games, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Maybe one day I'll play some of their older games I missed. I'm hoping for a Steam sale on Jade Empire within the next month. I would really like to try that game. Go, go, go BioWare. "
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. KOTOR was my first real RPG and Mass Effect was the first Bioware game, and really only game other than WOW, that I played on PC. I still feel happy seeing the KOTOR box sitting on my shelf... good times. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Geno

Lmao the first picture is golden. 

doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By doublezeroduck

Yes! Bioware is the best. Rockstar is really good too. They are second for me. 

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By RobotHamster

<3

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phrosnite

I approve of this message *thumb up*  Bioware are my favourite dev too :) Not to mention that my top favourite games ever are 1. DA:O 2. BG2 3. ME2 and I'm sure DA2 and ME3 will be added to the list... 
    If I had to prostitute myself to a developer my first choice will be Bioware :)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Claude said:
    " Knights of the Old Republic was my first, what I would call, real RPG. It was also my first BioWare game. Oddly, Mass Effect was my first BioWare game I played on the PC. Now, I sometimes switch back and forth between my two main PC games, Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. Maybe one day I'll play some of their older games I missed. I'm hoping for a Steam sale on Jade Empire within the next month. I would really like to try that game. Go, go, go BioWare. "
    Yep. This is how I started out, with KotOR. I'm not sure how well it actually holds up, but Bioware is great, and Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best games of all time. Although, Jade Empire didn't leave a good impression for the two or so hours I managed to stomach, and I hear that Sonic RPG isn't so good either. Then again, it's rare for any developer to have never developed a bad game, unless they're Blizzard or something. 
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

BioWare should have won over Valve for the best game developer award..... *runs from a mob of angry Valve fanboys*

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Claude
    @ArbitraryWater:  I have never played a Blizzard game. I don't think they're going anywhere, so my time should come.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " BioWare should have won over Valve for the best game developer award..... *runs from a mob of angry Valve fanboys* "
    Did they really win that award? Which "award show" was that? 

@Claude said:
    " @ArbitraryWater:  I have never played a Blizzard game. I don't think they're going anywhere, so my time should come. "
    Diablo 3 shall be your first. Make it happen.
    Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ragdrazi

I've always loved Bioware from way back to the first time I ever saw one of their products. Their writing and attention to detail is pretty much unsurpassed. But they've got me biting my nails over DA2. I want it to be good, but I'm worried they're taking it in the wrong direction.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Animasta
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " BioWare should have won over Valve for the best game developer award..... *runs from a mob of angry Valve fanboys* "
    I'm sorry, but Valve at least tries new things more often then Bioware does; count how many times you have to go to 4 different places to get some magical thing, or army, or whatever...
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Claude said:
    Short of a couple JRPGs I played in the 90s, it was also KOTOR that introduced me to real RPG games, with character progression, and skill trees and what not. Loved that game, and I played it on both PC and Xbox for some reason or another. After Jade Empire and some Neverwinter Nights I knew I was fully hooked onto Bioware, and would buy most anything they release.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, BioWare and Black Isle made some of the best CPRG's during the 90's.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sameeeeam

I agree. Bioware is one of my favourite devs.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DeShawn2ks
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Word   Jade Empire needs that extra lovin'  And possibly some more equipment customization items, but man was it a fun game. "
    I loved Jade Empire too I don't know why a lot of people hate on it so much. I would love to see a sequel to this game at some point. The game had a alcoholic baker that did the drunken fist. How the hell can people not like this game?
    DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeShawn2ks

Knights of the Old Republic was a system seller for me. I had no interest in getting the original xbox until I read the EGM reviews. Went right up to Nebraska Furniture Mart and got a Xbox and KOTR and I have been hooked on Bioware games ever since. That was a sad few days for me. Only time I stopped playing that game is when I had to go to the restroom or sleep and that was only for a few hours. Tostinos pizzas and soda for two days without bathing not good. I still love you though Bioware.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MaddProdigy

Bioware, Blizzard, and Valve have got to be my three favorite game developers, and on top of that they're probably the best three. KOTOR was the first RPG I ever played though so...damn I love me some Bioware :P

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vidiot

Bioware knows and understands the value of good writing, and how to apply their production values to accompany story. It feels sometimes as if though there is a lack of developers that understand the value of these two very basic, and fundamental concepts. The plot's in Mass Effect and Dragon Age are not necessarily things we haven't seen before in other mediums, but the high-level of writing, (and the fact that there's not a lot of competitors that know how compete with these guys when it comes to presenting a story) make their game's standout more. 

When it comes to gameplay, I'm curious about the future. Mass Effect 2 was probably my favorite game this year, but it's gameplay was pure 3rd-person cover shooter. Not a bad thing at all, the marriage of shooter mechanics and traditional RPG mechanics don't necessarily blend really well. Looking at Dragon Age 2 however, my curiosity is piked specifically with how the combat is going to be represented for the console versions.

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By CharkeeFarlee

i <3 Garratt

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shirogane

I've got to be one of the few people who liked Bioware stuff BEFORE Mass Effect, and havn't been able to enjoy anything after, even though, in theory, i should totally love them. 

Blizzard has to be mine. Hell, i grew up playing Lost Vikings, then moved onto Warcraft II.
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    Did they really win that award? Which "award show" was that? 

@Claude said:
    " @ArbitraryWater:  I have never played a Blizzard game. I don't think they're going anywhere, so my time should come. "
    Diablo 3 shall be your first. Make it happen. "
    It was some award competition held by the escapist, where fans were able to vote for their favorite developers. The final showdown was between Valve and BioWare, and by no surprise, Valve won. Then again, fan votes are often flawed to begin with, and the escapist is notoriously known for containing some of the most rabid Valve fanboys. 

@Laketown said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    I'm sorry, but Valve at least tries new things more often then Bioware does; count how many times you have to go to 4 different places to get some magical thing, or army, or whatever... "
    Like this guy.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By skrutop

I haven't been a huge fan of any of their games since KOTOR, but their Infinity Engine games were truly epic.  Though I've played them all, I haven't really enjoyed anything more recent.  I feel like the mechanics are so-so, and while the storytelling is exceptional, they recycle the same structure from game-to-game.  It's hard to shake the feeling of deja vu whenever playing their games.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By damswedon

I should play some of the older Bioware games again at some point. But yeah Bioware pretty much are my Valve or Blizzard. They are a company that I just accept will make great games that I will love. Hell Mass Effect is my Star Wars.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By armaan8014

I agree wholeheartedly. Bioware is probably my dream company, and i'd love to work for it someday.
    Bethesda's pretty cool too, except maybe due to their buggy releases. Hopefully, that'll be fixed with Skyrim's new engine!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.