A Bizarre Goodbye

Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

After nearly 17 years of game development, Liverpool-based developer Bizarre Creations is no more. The team that brought you Project Gotham Racing, Geometry Wars, Blur, and did I mention Geometry Wars has been dissolved, and it's sad to consider that such talented folks won't be able to ply their trade together anymore. But before they turned off the lights for good, Bizarre Creations trailer editor Eamon Urtone put together this little farewell piece that I'm not afraid to admit made me a little misty. So watch, savor the fond memories, and let's all hope for a brighter future for those affected.   

Vaya con Dios, Bizarre Creations!
#1 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

After nearly 17 years of game development, Liverpool-based developer Bizarre Creations is no more. The team that brought you Project Gotham Racing, Geometry Wars, Blur, and did I mention Geometry Wars has been dissolved, and it's sad to consider that such talented folks won't be able to ply their trade together anymore. But before they turned off the lights for good, Bizarre Creations trailer editor Eamon Urtone put together this little farewell piece that I'm not afraid to admit made me a little misty. So watch, savor the fond memories, and let's all hope for a brighter future for those affected.   

Vaya con Dios, Bizarre Creations!
#2 Posted by RelentlessKnight (963 posts) -

bye bizarre creations, I miss you

#3 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Good luck, have Batman lads!

#4 Posted by Creamypies (4075 posts) -

Such a sad day!

#5 Posted by KosmoK (63 posts) -

A sad day indeed...

#6 Posted by Tictocbehemoth (62 posts) -

Bye Bizarre Creations. :( 

#7 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -

I don't understand. Get them working in PGR5 and you've got a money spinner! Why not do that rather than abandoning them?

#8 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

I've never played a single game they put out, but it's always depressing to hear so many people all at once lose their jobs. =(

#9 Posted by confideration (426 posts) -

GLHB :(

#10 Posted by bassman2112 (844 posts) -

=(
I did enjoy a lot of their games and had a personal connection to their games. Very, very sad that they're going under </3

#11 Posted by Winsord (1249 posts) -

I loved just about every game Bizarre made; Geometry Wars, the PGR series, The Club, etc. Always sucks to see a developer go, especially one as good as Bizarre. I wish the best for everyone who worked there.

#12 Posted by DarkTravesty (330 posts) -
@Tictocbehemoth said:
" Bye Bizarre Creations. :(  "
#13 Posted by fishmicmuffin (1041 posts) -

Hopefully they can find work elsewhere!

#14 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:
" I don't understand. Get them working in PGR5 and you've got a money spinner! Why not do that rather than abandoning them? "
Because its Activision.
#15 Posted by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -

man that is really sad. there were some really good games there. adios muchachos y muchachas!

#16 Posted by zitosilva (1840 posts) -

Here's hoping things won't be so gloomy in the near future. Cheers!

#17 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6312 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
"I've never played a single game they put out, but it's always depressing to hear so many people all at once lose their jobs. =( "

That's much the same here.  I don't have any real fondness for the company, but I do wish their obviously talented employees all the best in their future jobs.
#18 Posted by Philzpilz (225 posts) -

Pour one out

#19 Posted by heatDrive88 (2363 posts) -

I really hope another publisher picks them up or something. I really would have loved to see Geometry Wars 3.

#20 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -
@SuperSambo: I dont think PGR4 did all that well.
#21 Posted by bigsmoke77 (790 posts) -
@SuperSambo:  cuz Microsoft owns that franchise and Activison owned Bizarre
#22 Posted by pickassoreborn (530 posts) -

RIP Bizarre. Fuck you, Kotick.

#23 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

Goodnight... Sweet.... Prince 

;_;

#24 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

Goodbye Bizarre Creations.  You will be missed.

#25 Posted by Hampe (177 posts) -

Look what you've done Activision! Making this baby cry is a crime :(
#26 Posted by Gangway (49 posts) -

Classy way to commemorate it.

#27 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

Metropolis Street Racer was my favourite racing game until i played NFSHP, its shitty they had to shut

i understand that companies like money to make and promote games. but this is just typical of getting into bed with activision, i hope the recent bout of mass layoffs will go to show that working with activision; while good in the short term, can lead to not having jobs anymore. so its probably not worth it, RIP Bizarre Creations

#28 Posted by tgammet (94 posts) -

They had more games in them :-\

#29 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Ill pour won out for yall tonight, sorry to hear you guys lost your jobs. But i know youll find something new, you guys had a lot of talent all round. Good luck, and have batman.

#30 Posted by Brenderous (1105 posts) -

Has Bobby Kotick seen this?

#31 Posted by HairyToeKnuckles (123 posts) -

I spent more time online with friends in PGR2 than should be humanly possible. Their demise greatly saddens me. I hope they all find gainful employment soon--they deserve it.

#32 Posted by Rasgueado (719 posts) -

Well... I guess I'm going to play PGR4, Blur, Geometry Wars, and both the PC/x360 versions of  The Club today. =/

#33 Posted by hermes (1539 posts) -

To be fair, I didn't play any of those games; but it is sad when talented people loose their jobs.

#34 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

hope everything works out for them

#35 Posted by FritzDude (2267 posts) -

Fuck Activision.

#36 Posted by bigsmoke77 (790 posts) -
Found this on their website......................fuck Activision 
#37 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2130 posts) -

These guys should get back together and form another studio. Clean slate.

#38 Posted by DiscoDuck8k (499 posts) -

Sad. This shouldn't have happened.

#39 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

Too sad to comment. 

...wait.

#40 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

another good one bites the dust, other not so talented developers keep going.

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9742 posts) -

I feel sorry for the guys.  I liked most their original content.  Hopefully most of the employees can find work.  If I were a developer I would really not want to make games for Activision.  I get the impression they use up their developers like they use of their franchises.

#43 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

That was actually so tastefully made. Good night, sweet prince.

#44 Posted by astonish (211 posts) -

RIP :(

#45 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3222 posts) -
@FritzDude said:
"

Fuck Activision.

"
#46 Posted by guthwulf (251 posts) -

Awww. Sad.

#47 Posted by skywing (1153 posts) -

I feel I may have been part of the problem.  I have never purchased a single one of their games :( 

#48 Posted by Brodehouse (10077 posts) -

Luckily this is an industry where having any development history is still a boon.  These guys may have all lost jobs, but now they can look for new ones with the credentials of having several major games shipped in the last 5 years, which is more than a lot of guys trying to find those same jobs can say.

And I really wonder what most developers think about working with Activision?  You'd have to assume every artist, coder, designer in the world is going to steer clear of any studio that answers to Activision.  But there's Bungie signing a 10 year publishing deal, though granted they maintain creative control and IP.  You also have to wonder if or when they're due to straighten up, pull an EA 2008 and suddenly turn from the biggest bad guy in the industry into a relatively progressive company.  During the PS2 era I think I literally bought 3 games published by EA... nowadays they're some of the stuff I most look forward to.

#49 Posted by Warchief (658 posts) -

sad panda.

#50 Posted by Funzzo (835 posts) -

Thats sad. I loved metro street racer on the DC and the PG series. Good luck to all those looking for work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.