Blacklight: Tango Down 2 Is In Development

• 52 results
Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Are you a fan of Blacklight: Tango Down? It's possible you haven't even had the opportunity to make a judgement call one way or the other: the multiplatform downloadable shooter was released on XBLA last week, and only just came to Games For Windows Live today. It still hasn't come to Steam or the PlayStation Network, but it should launch on those platforms in the coming weeks.

So, there's a good chance you haven't played the game yet. But even if you haven't, someone out there totally has, and it sounds like there were enough of those fans out there to keep Zombie Studios working on Blacklight. The team revealed to Big Download that the team was already starting development on the sequel to Blacklight: Tango Down.

See this screenshot from the first game? Imagine if there was a giant robot behind these dudes. That's what the sequel looks like.
== TEASER ==

And Blacklight: Tango Down 2 will be the only way you'll get any additional Blacklight content. Zombie Studios CEO Mark Long told Big Download that there were no plans to add additional DLC to Blacklight (other than patches to fix bugs). All available resources are being directed toward a more ambitious sequel, which will add larger maps and drivable robot vehicles to the action.

Blacklight: Tango Down 2 is aiming for a Summer 2011 release window, and while no platforms have been announced, it's a good bet that Blacklight 2 will be released on the same platforms as its recently released predecessor. We'll see how the sequel turns out next year, which will hopefully give you time to actually play the first game and figure out if you want a sequel.

#1 Posted by MattBodega (1903 posts) -

Are you a fan of Blacklight: Tango Down? It's possible you haven't even had the opportunity to make a judgement call one way or the other: the multiplatform downloadable shooter was released on XBLA last week, and only just came to Games For Windows Live today. It still hasn't come to Steam or the PlayStation Network, but it should launch on those platforms in the coming weeks.

So, there's a good chance you haven't played the game yet. But even if you haven't, someone out there totally has, and it sounds like there were enough of those fans out there to keep Zombie Studios working on Blacklight. The team revealed to Big Download that the team was already starting development on the sequel to Blacklight: Tango Down.

See this screenshot from the first game? Imagine if there was a giant robot behind these dudes. That's what the sequel looks like.
== TEASER ==

And Blacklight: Tango Down 2 will be the only way you'll get any additional Blacklight content. Zombie Studios CEO Mark Long told Big Download that there were no plans to add additional DLC to Blacklight (other than patches to fix bugs). All available resources are being directed toward a more ambitious sequel, which will add larger maps and drivable robot vehicles to the action.

Blacklight: Tango Down 2 is aiming for a Summer 2011 release window, and while no platforms have been announced, it's a good bet that Blacklight 2 will be released on the same platforms as its recently released predecessor. We'll see how the sequel turns out next year, which will hopefully give you time to actually play the first game and figure out if you want a sequel.

#2 Edited by NickLott (791 posts) -

That's interesting considering it just came out.

#3 Posted by FizzleNizzleBear (335 posts) -

havent played the first yet 

#4 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

What a wierd, wierd announcement.

#5 Posted by Krataur (336 posts) -

I have no opinion on this either way.  Because I'm one of those people who hasn't played the first yet.

#6 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Interesting. I would've thought they would wait to see how the first one did before starting a sequel. Having played a bit of Tango Down already, it's a decent FPS. The weapon customization is really cool.

#7 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

This is what's great about XBLA. You spend so little and break even so early you know you can iterate right away.

#8 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

theres no release date for psn yet they are working on the 2nd... makes sense!

#9 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1223 posts) -

Why didn't they just shout. "DON'T BUY OUR GAME!" Seriously, I was curious, but now I won't even bother with it because it will be meaningless next year.

#10 Posted by Chris2KLee (2327 posts) -

Good for them?

#11 Posted by ViciousReiven (815 posts) -

I bet that the horribleness is just too much for them to handle in a patch that they have to go make a new game to make up for it, I want a refund >_>

#12 Posted by EternalDarkWing (67 posts) -

Matt, the game came out on Steam today. You might want to edit the article to reflect that.

#13 Posted by granderojo (1778 posts) -

Like Jeff said about the first game. THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME BUSINESS GOING ON IN THE BACKGROUND OF THIS GAMES DEVELOPMENT. This game seems to be the top download on XBLA, so it must be doing something right. By something right, I mean they have made a descent shooter that is cheap and plays like Modern Warfare.

#14 Posted by President_Barackbar (3415 posts) -

A little premature isn't it? Regardless of whether or not it made them money, its like if EA announced a new MoH right after the new one comes out.

#15 Posted by xmaster_dosx (31 posts) -

why the F**K did i buy the first one then if this is coming out 

#16 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (945 posts) -
@xmaster_dosx said:
" why the F**K did i buy the first one then if this is coming out  "
Dude, it's going to be a year from now until the sequel comes out.  Chill.
#17 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -
@xmaster_dosx said:
lol u mad, but yea this isn't coming out for a while
#18 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -
@xmaster_dosx said:
"Why the fuck did I buy CoD this year, the next one is coming out in a year"

You get a year of playtime, maybe more.  Don't see the big deal...
#19 Edited by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

So it is coming to Steam.

Will it require Games for Windows Live? Because if it does then I'm still not getting it no matter how cool it looks.

EDIT: oh wow it's out on Steam right now. Let me just go check something -  

Other Requirements: Requires installation and log-in to Games For Windows - LIVE.

- yeah fuck that noise.
#20 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Did they break even on the first day, or what happened?

#21 Edited by raikoh05 (412 posts) -

knowing that a better version is already in the works, cant feel too bad for not buying it.

next one better not have shit to do with GFW...

#22 Posted by EternalDarkWing (67 posts) -

What's with all of the GFW hate anyway? Did Microsoft rub you the wrong way or something?

#23 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

what the hell? didn't that game come out like.. last week? o.O 

#24 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Really guys? Do none of you realize development usually starts on sequels, BEFORE the first game comes out?

#25 Posted by CreativeColossi (215 posts) -
@EternalDarkWing: It's just terrible compared to steam, really clunky.
#26 Posted by TheManiacsGnome (265 posts) -
@EternalDarkWing:
I don't understand it either, it works and it hasn't caused me any issues.
#27 Posted by Jeffk38uk (714 posts) -

Very odd for them to announce a sequel a week or so after the game came out, especially for a game that is getting a giant meh response.

#28 Posted by EpicSteve (6470 posts) -

Can journalists "cool story, bro" press releases?

#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

"Ok guys, so we know our game isn't all that great, BUT DUDE, WE"RE MAKING A SEQUEL AND IT'S GOING TO HAVE ROBOTS AND SHIT WHOOOOO"

#30 Posted by Landon (4127 posts) -

This gets a sequel and Psychonauts still has a cliffhanger ending?

#31 Posted by xmaster_dosx (31 posts) -
@Rehehelly:
@SkullcrusherMountain:
@ChristianCastillo:
 im not so much mad as i am dissapointed. the game came out last week. if youve played it you know there is nothing much to it other than shooting and to say "hey where adding mechs to it next year, and the game you just bought last week will never have DLC" makes me sad. i just want the best from a game but i think thats asking to much.
#32 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -
@EternalDarkWing: When the other option is Steam, GFWL just seems redundant and worthless. 

If you can get a Ferrari and a Kia for the same price, which are you going to choose? Steam has a massive community, achievements, 90% of games, unbelievable sales, and it's all bundled in a very efficient program. GFWL is a bare bones marketplace. 

Granted, GFWL is in its first year. Everyone, including myself, hated Steam in 2003.
#33 Posted by EternalDarkWing (67 posts) -
@Rolyatkcinmai:  Well I'm not really trying to argue which is better, since Steam is clearly superior in every aspect. All I'm really trying to say is that I don't see why GFWL is bad. Granted, it's not great, and could definitely be improved a lot more, but I have no problem with both of them coexisting on my machine.
#34 Posted by ShoddyGo (35 posts) -

That's bullshit, what reason do I have now to buy this unoriginal grimdark FPS?
They should just be working on patches or DLC for the first game.

#35 Posted by McDevy (51 posts) -

Rofl, time to wait a summer.

#36 Posted by jessej07 (213 posts) -

The first game is an okay shooter that needs A LOT of work.  It needs an entire matchmaking and menu overhaul.  I kept up hope that they may be working on it, but it now this news comes out.  I'm annoyed because Blacklight Tango Down is a good game that is only not great because it has some very simple flaws.

#37 Posted by Zerghive (2 posts) -
@ShoddyGo said:
" That's bullshit, what reason do I have now to buy this unoriginal grimdark FPS? They should just be working on patches or DLC for the first game. "
They already said there will be no DLC for the first game, the only DLC will be for bug fixes.  In case you didn't know this is no different than Activision releasing a COD or Hero game every year.  The only difference is that this game company has the balls to announce it early.  I don't hear people whining that Black Ops is coming out, or Halo Reach.  Granted those are blockbuster titles, this game is a mere 15 bucks.  If you do not give 2 craps about a storyline and just want to kill random people online, this game is a great option.  And personally, screw DLC addons for this game.  The addons would end up being more than the game itself, sequel is the way to go.  This game has been done for over a month and a half most likely, were you just thinking that the developers were sitting on their hands this entire time?
#38 Posted by eschatonik (20 posts) -

You have to really have an online multiplayer FPS jones to play the first one for more than 10 minutes.  

#39 Posted by JaredA (818 posts) -

The first one isn't that good... And it doesn't seem like a lot of people bought it because trying to find games is a bitch. It takes so long. And even if you do get into a game the lobby is never full :|

#40 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Wow,I didn't even have the chance to buy it (PC) and now their telling me:Oh wait,we're making a bigger,better one!Are they insane?

#41 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

Hmm, this seems way too soon...but what do I know? Nothing about this most likely.

#42 Posted by Wandrecanada (399 posts) -

If you think paying $15 for an MP only game with 14 maps and 7 game modes plus 4 co op missions... get over yourself.  The game is well worth the cash if only for the awesome weapons customization options and weapon handling. 

#43 Posted by delrobertto (45 posts) -

how about you release your game in Australia, New Zealand and Asia before you tell us your making a sequel.

#44 Edited by TwoLines (2782 posts) -

Soon companies will develop FOUR games at a time, the first one, 
the sequel, the third part AND a prequel son!
And a bunch of DLC content for each part.

Money!

#45 Posted by Yzzerdd (521 posts) -

#46 Edited by Jackel2072 (2235 posts) -

i see a lot of people say this game is ok given the price. BF1943 was a fantastic FPS for the same price. compared to this game, it cant even hold a candle next to it... IMO.

#47 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3532 posts) -

Make the spawn system like Call of Duty and I just might buy the sequel.  The first game is garbage because of the spawns. 

#48 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -

i dont get it, after this announcement why should anyone buy the first one :|

#49 Posted by Woodroez (341 posts) -
@b33 said:
" i dont get it, after this announcement why should anyone buy the first one :| "
 Well, to be fair the sequel is a solid year away, but yeah, whoever runs that studio should have kept a lid on that sort of information until at least winter.
#50 Posted by Tetsuo (57 posts) -

No, I haven't played the first one yet, because some faggot decided that it wouldn't get released internationally or some shit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.