Blade Runner ever going to make it to Steam?

#1 Posted by Soap (3561 posts) -

I'd love to see this game on Steam, I've never managed to play it and would love to give it a go.

What do you think? Is it likely to ever make it to Steam?

#2 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

there is a blade runner game?

#3 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -

Just the first 30 mins or so of the movie a few weeks ago. Man it's boring, couldn't finish it. Why do people like it so much? I like sci fi and all but this one... I don't get what's so great. The story seems good but it drags on way too much.

#4 Posted by Von (328 posts) -
@Eder said:
" Just the first 30 mins or so of the movie a few weeks ago. Man it's boring, couldn't finish it. Why do people like it so much? I like sci fi and all but this one... I don't get what's so great. The story seems good but it drags on way too much. "

I just read the 30 sentences or so in this post. Man it's boring, but I could finish it. Why do people answer threads with utter nonsense? I like posts about games and all but this one... I don't get it why it was posted. The poster seems good but complains too much. 

On a more serious note, whether the movie is boring or not, the game is not. It contained good dialogues, interesting clue-hunting and somewhat fun gunplay. A great adventure game all in all, and catched the mood of the Blade Runner world quite good.
#5 Posted by IndeedCodyBrown (391 posts) -

What The Movie?
#6 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -
@Von said:
" @Eder said:
" Just the first 30 mins or so of the movie a few weeks ago. Man it's boring, couldn't finish it. Why do people like it so much? I like sci fi and all but this one... I don't get what's so great. The story seems good but it drags on way too much. "
 I just read the 30 sentences or so in this post. Man it's boring, but I could finish it. Why do people answer threads with utter nonsense? I like posts about games and all but this one... I don't get it why it was posted. The poster seems good but complains too much.  On a more serious note, whether the movie is boring or not, the game is not. It contained good dialogues, interesting clue-hunting and somewhat fun gunplay. A great adventure game all in all, and catched the mood of the Blade Runner world quite good. "
Well that could happen, if you don't like those 30 sentences you're entittled to your opinion. I just gave mine. 

If you could tell me what you like about Blade Runner maybe I could see past what I didn't like.
#7 Posted by mordukai (7128 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" there is a blade runner game? "
Yes. It was made by Westwood Studios. 
#8 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5374 posts) -

I think you guys are confusing sentences with words/letters.

#9 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I think you guys are confusing sentences with words/letters. "
This.

And I would love to see the Blade Runner game go to Steam. I never played it but have heard great things about it.
#10 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -

The Blade Runner game was awesome, and happens to be one of my top 3 movies ever, but I'm waiting on a legal re-release of Rise of the Dragon. Woo Rah!

#11 Posted by Hamst3r (4437 posts) -
@Eder: As far as I know, it was one of the first in it's style of cyberpunk crime drama and it's had a lot of influence on Sci-Fi films overall. The reason it's slow is because it was going for futuristic film noir look, which is a style from an era where movies were slower. Watch any old black and white film and you'll see that pretty much all movies moved at that slower pace, especially crime dramas. Check out some old samurai flicks while you're at it - insanely slow, but not bad by any means. You just have to allow yourself the time to be absorbed into the fiction. :D
#12 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -
@Hamst3r: Ok ill give it another shot. Blockbuster has cheap rents tomorrow.
#13 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -
@Eder: Final Cut, version, preferably on Blu-Ray
#14 Posted by Castro (950 posts) -

That certainly was a great game. Apparently, the game changes a bit each time you play as certain characters might be replicants on one playthrough whereas they may not be on subsequent playthroughs. I actually still have a copy of the game somewhere. With all of this free time I have, I should reinstall it and see what's up.

As for availability, it seems like it might be more likely that it would come to Good Old Games. I just checked and they don't have it currently. Hopefully there isn't some weird thing with Blade Runner licensing rights that's preventing it from being released. That would be lame.

#15 Edited by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@Eder: You should definitely see it. After you watch the movie, it has a twist that you won't even realize when watching and even after it's over - someone had to tell me. Can you find it?
#16 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -

I've seen the theatrical cut of the movie through Netflix.  It just wasn't my thing, really.  Maybe I expected too much.

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9870 posts) -
@rjayb89: The theatrical cut is wayyyy different than the directors cut. Like, way different. I've never heard of a movie where so many changes were made through the cuts. You probably got that shitty ass ending too? Yeah, that's not the real Blade Runner.
#18 Posted by rjayb89 (7716 posts) -
@xyzygy: Are there more replicant boobies?  Anyways, the ending was pretty shitty, but I didn't like the whole detective vibe either.  Watching the whole thing was just a let down for me, not to say that it was a shitty movie.  It just wasn't my thing.
#19 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" @Eder: You should definitely see it. After you watch the movie, it has a twist that you won't even realize when watching and even after it's over - someone had to tell me. Can you find it? "
I'll probably rent it again today, like i said blockbuster has cheap rents where I live (Mexico) on tuesdays.
#20 Posted by Pazy (2561 posts) -

In regards to the movie, though it be noted that ive never heard that a game exists but am now intruiged, I first saw it a scant few months ago. It was one of the Blu-Rays I got to coincide with my first PS3 mostly because it was cheap and so well regarded and I found it to be a great experience, it does have a certain slowness and almost boring sheen to it but when the movie was finished I was in love with it, it presented some grand ideas in a visually arresting way with some fantastic acting. I can understand how you might watch the start and get bored, I dont feel that it makes a great first impression compared to a lot of modern films which seem to grab as violently as possible and as quickly as a possible, this film seems to content to exist at its own pace and let you peer in at a fascinating world.

#21 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

I remember borrowing that from a friend but it kept locking up after 5 to 10 minuets into the game. So all I could do is look around my apartment and go to the police station.

#22 Posted by CABBAGES (517 posts) -

i had blade runner running on my laptop a few months ago.  
My friends had it years ago when it first came out and i thougth it looked great !
#23 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Steam no, you have more chances on Good old Games for obscure old pc games.

#24 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

wherever it is let me know I LOVED that game when it game out - I remember it being on a double-sided DVD and it was the first DVD I ever owned. Utterly awesome game - must've been 10 years since I played it though so its greatness is about all I can remember.

#25 Posted by laserfrog (154 posts) -

I finally tracked down a copy of Blade Runner not too long ago, it's a great game. The game interested me more than the actual film's plot, that's not to say I don't appreciate the film because I do. It's a great game and still playable as ever from a gameplay point of view. I'd love to see this come to Steam or GOG, though I'm a bit doubtful it ever will. :(

#26 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

All those... discs will be lost in time, like tears... in rain. 

Time to die.

#27 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -
@Eder said:
" @Hamst3r: Ok ill give it another shot. Blockbuster has cheap rents tomorrow. "
Yeah keep in mind it's not an action movie, it's a slow paced detective story. 

Also keep in mind that he say your Brade Runnah. 
Just tell him you're eating. 

I think I own 10 copies of this film technically, because I bought the briefcase edition on DVD, then I got a PS3 and bought the regular box on blu-ray. EAch comes with 5 different cuts. I'm.. not even a HUUUGE blade runner fan, like.. it's fun but... I own that film waaay too much for how much I like it hahahaha.
#28 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Eder said:
" @Hamst3r: Ok ill give it another shot. Blockbuster has cheap rents tomorrow. "
Yeah keep in mind it's not an action movie, it's a slow paced detective story.  Also keep in mind that he say your Brade Runnah. Just tell him you're eating.   I think I own 10 copies of this film technically, because I bought the briefcase edition on DVD, then I got a PS3 and bought the regular box on blu-ray. EAch comes with 5 different cuts. I'm.. not even a HUUUGE blade runner fan, like.. it's fun but... I own that film waaay too much for how much I like it hahahaha. "
wow thats a LOT of blade runner.
#29 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6043 posts) -
@RHCPfan24:
Someone else remembers Rise of the Dragon?  Wow, weird. 

Anyways, I dug the Blade Runner game.  Great graphics, decent puzzles, and the dialogue was top-notch.  Wasn't a fan of the "action" sequences, but all in all, it was a pretty good game.
#30 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -
@Eder: Too much brade runnah, I should donate the american theatrical release cuts to kids hopitals or something. It's the exact same as the international cut, but with one or two shots of violence cut. I honestly dunno why they put it there. Some cuts are dramatically different in tone, or story implications, this is just... R rated, or R rated, but with a little more.
#31 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Eder said:
.  Some say its Ridley's finest film he ever made . I say Alien is his best .
#32 Posted by thehideousshrew (206 posts) -
@rjayb89: The theatrical cut of this film is terrible, Ridley Scott hated it, the directors cut is a totally different film and well worthy of reverence.
#33 Posted by Eder (388 posts) -
@turbomonkey138 said:
" @Eder said:
.  Some say its Ridley's finest film he ever made . I say Alien is his best . "
Alien was awesome.
#34 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -
@XII_Sniper: But its a hard R....or something. I got nutthin.
#35 Posted by Delta_Ass (3246 posts) -

Personally, I thought Black Hawk Down was his best film.

#36 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Eder said:
" @Von said:
" @Eder said:
 I just read the 30 sentences or so in this post. Man it's boring, but I could finish it. Why do people answer threads with utter nonsense? I like posts about games and all but this one... I don't get it why it was posted. The poster seems good but complains too much.  On a more serious note, whether the movie is boring or not, the game is not. It contained good dialogues, interesting clue-hunting and somewhat fun gunplay. A great adventure game all in all, and catched the mood of the Blade Runner world quite good. "
Well that could happen, if you don't like those 30 sentences you're entittled to your opinion. I just gave mine.   If you could tell me what you like about Blade Runner maybe I could see past what I didn't like. "
Here, I just ate half this cake, only the top layer and the icing.  It's called triple chocolate but I can only taste two distinct flavours, definitely ganash and some kind of chocolate sponge, but it seems like they lied, the cake seems boring without the other flavour to compliment.  Guess I'll throw it in the trash.
#37 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -
@PulledaBrad said:
" @XII_Sniper: But its a hard R....or something. I got nutthin. "

I'm just mocking the funny like where the elderly asian man with a stereotypical accent says "He say you Braaade Runnaah.". It seemed goofy, and a little cheesy to me.
#38 Posted by PulledaBrad (612 posts) -
@XII_Sniper: Oh I get that. It elicits a giggle from me every time I hear it. I was just commenting on the slight differences in the international and domestic cuts, and how people like to call something "hard" R rated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.