Okay, what's the deal? Where's the Canadian release?

#1 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I heard about the first run of the game being delayed in Canada (except for certain, smaller-chain stores), and that the Standard Edition would be available by July 29th. Well, it's July 31st now, and I still cannot locate this damn game. I've checked the websites for Blockbuster, Rogers+, Futureshop, and EB Games, as well as actually going to both Blockbuster and Rogers. What's the deal? Is this all of Canada experiencing the problem, or just BC (where I live)?

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

Probably all of Canada.  I'm in Quebec and I have not seen any copies in stores.

#3 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Damn it, I demand some sort of explanation or a Canadian release date! :l

#4 Posted by Karmum (11516 posts) -

Did some quick research for you, and a few people over on one forum are saying it isn't being released until late August/early September. Albeit, take this link with a grain of salt. I suggest you call your local game store or electronics store that sells video games and get some kind of confirmation.

#5 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@Karmum said:
" Did some quick research for you, and a few people over on one forum are saying it isn't being released until late August/early September. Albeit, take this link with a grain of salt. I suggest you call your local game store or electronics store that sells video games and get some kind of confirmation. "
Thanks. While I am disappointed the game still isn't out, I'd rather have it delayed than never at all......I hope it's true at least. I am not going to be happy if it doesn't come out in Canada. I suppose I can wait another month.

Next time I go to Rogers/Futureshop, I'll ask the counter for confirmation.
#6 Posted by Karmum (11516 posts) -
@TheFreeMan:
Assuming there is a delay, you might want to just import the game. I'm pretty sure all PS3 games are region-free (if we are talking about buying it for the Playstation 3), and it might be around the same price as in Canada. I don't know about that last part for sure, though, cause I happen to live in the United States.
#7 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@Karmum said:
" @TheFreeMan: Assuming there is a delay, you might want to just import the game. I'm pretty sure all PS3 games are region-free (if we are talking about buying it for the Playstation 3), and it might be around the same price as in Canada. I don't know about that last part for sure, though, cause I happen to live in the United States. "
Alas, I only have the 360 (which I don't believe is region-free...?). If I go down to the States and I see the game I'd probably just buy it, but that is not often.

I'm really wondering what went wrong with the distribution of this game. I'm a fan of Guilty Gear, own the Xbox original version, and I was really looking forward to playing what might as well be a sequel. Oy vey.
#8 Posted by Intrepid (187 posts) -

I went to my local EB games here in Toronto and they said there was a mix up in shipping.  Apparently it's the same with ALL EB Games locations.

#9 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
" @Karmum said:
" @TheFreeMan: Assuming there is a delay, you might want to just import the game. I'm pretty sure all PS3 games are region-free (if we are talking about buying it for the Playstation 3), and it might be around the same price as in Canada. I don't know about that last part for sure, though, cause I happen to live in the United States. "
Alas, I only have the 360 (which I don't believe is region-free...?). If I go down to the States and I see the game I'd probably just buy it, but that is not often.I'm really wondering what went wrong with the distribution of this game. I'm a fan of Guilty Gear, own the Xbox original version, and I was really looking forward to playing what might as well be a sequel. Oy vey. "
Aren't Canada and the US both NTSC? There shouldn't be any region problems.
#10 Posted by Troispoint (267 posts) -
@PureRok: Yeah, but the shipping may take more time, since well, its farther. Also, BlazBlue is kind of a niche game, so the BestBuy's and FutureShop's of this world are probably not rushing to get these games in stores.
#11 Posted by kerikxi (530 posts) -

Games up here in Canada typically get hung up with the whole two language nonsense. Having to print new covers/manuals and whatnot. Might have been what happened here.

#12 Posted by McQuinn (651 posts) -
@kerikxi said:
" Games up here in Canada typically get hung up with the whole two language nonsense. Having to print new covers/manuals and whatnot. Might have been what happened here. "
Sometimes you just gotta say, fuck the French language.
#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@McQuinn said:
"@kerikxi said:
" Games up here in Canada typically get hung up with the whole two language nonsense. Having to print new covers/manuals and whatnot. Might have been what happened here. "
Sometimes you just gotta say, fuck the French language.
"

Sometimes?  Man, I always hate it.
#14 Posted by kerikxi (530 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: You live in the wrong province then :P
#15 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@kerikxi said:
"@FluxWaveZ: You live in the wrong province then :P"

Since I'm 15 I couldn't even move out of Quebec if I wanted to.  I've been forced to go to French schools because of that one Quebec rule that says that if one of your parents went to a French school you can't go to an English one.  So I'm pretty much bilingual but I prefer to talk English anyways and that's what most of my classmates prefer as well (we're in an enriched for English class).  But since talking in English is not allowed outside of an English class they'll give you detention if they even hear you say a sentence in English.
#16 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
"But since talking in English is not allowed outside of an English class they'll give you detention if they even hear you say a sentence in English. "
You're kidding right? What the hell?
#17 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@TheFreeMan said:
"@FluxWaveZ said:
"But since talking in English is not allowed outside of an English class they'll give you detention if they even hear you say a sentence in English. "
You're kidding right? What the hell?"

Nope.  They won't say anything if students are talking Chinese or Spanish or any other language with eachother, but when it comes to English they're pretty crazy about it.  The supervisors acting that way about the English language also augments the discrimination we get from non-enriched English class students calling us "Les maudits anglais." or "The damn English people" in English.  Sometimes jokingly, most of them time just for the sake of discrimination.
#18 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
"Nope.  They won't say anything if students are talking Chinese or Spanish or any other language with eachother, but when it comes to English they're pretty crazy about it.  The supervisors acting that way about the English language also augments the discrimination we get from non-enriched English class students calling us "Les maudits anglais." or "The damn English people" in English.  Sometimes jokingly, most of them time just for the sake of discrimination. "
That's pretty goddamn ridiculous if you ask me. I don't think I can say it any other way.
#19 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -
@TheFreeMan: Really, ive seen BlazeBlue in a game store that I go to about a week ago, and I live in Saskatchewan. The store must of just imported it from US or something.


@FluxWaveZ said:
Since I'm 15 I couldn't even move out of Quebec if I wanted to.  I've been forced to go to French schools because of that one Quebec rule that says that if one of your parents went to a French school you can't go to an English one.  So I'm pretty much bilingual but I prefer to talk English anyways and that's what most of my classmates prefer as well (we're in an enriched for English class).  But since talking in English is not allowed outside of an English class they'll give you detention if they even hear you say a sentence in English. "
Yep, my school is the same way, I go to a French school, and were not allowed to speak English other than in English class, the only difference is that I live in an environment where pretty much no one in my city speaks French, so im seen as diffrent cause I speak French, and no one else does.

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9871 posts) -

I live in Halifax and the nearest Gamestop to me doesn't even have it. They just keep saying that "It isn't in yet". I suppose Amazon would have it though... and as for the manuals and languages, I only notice that a small percentage of games I buy actually come with a seperate french manual, or even any french in the manual / cover at all. Like Star Ocean 4, it has abosolutely no french in the game at all (well my version.) But if you buy an Ubisoft Montreal game, they have seperate manuals. usually the french one is in black and white, too. LOL

#21 Posted by Banjo_ace (118 posts) -
Blame French Canada lol south park
#22 Posted by Atlas (2428 posts) -

It offends me that you are complaining about a slight delay in the game's release. I live in the UK, and it isn't coming out here, and even if it does, it won't be for a long ass time. And I don't own a PS3 so I can't get my import on. 
 
Sadface.

#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I couldn't find a copy of KOFXII seven days after it was out. The chains probably temporarily ran out. Give it another few days or so.

#24 Posted by Aljosa15 (315 posts) -

I bought it two days ago at EBGames. KoFXII was there too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.