The Pal Cover Art Sucks

#1 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I opened the gorgeous minimal box to find this amateurish monstrosity...

Ugh! 
What makes it worse is having that IGN logo on the cover... The publishers are in Bristol here in the UK, I feel inclined to send them an email and show my disgust for it. I do undertand why they have done certain things, but fuck!, it's so void of appeal to fans of this style of game. My PS3 cover is miles better than this bullshit.  

I need an alternative cover. Does anyone know where I can obtain a PDF for one?

The artbook has much better art   
#2 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

Apparently the game is about boobs?  Or am I missing the point  :-) 

Agree LS, that cover is shithouse.

#3 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

That Uk cover looks like it should be for some weird Jill Valentine based shooter.

#4 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Looks like a bargain bin Resident Evil knock-off. 

And what is the deal with the IGN logo? It already says IGN which makes the logo redundant.

#5 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

wasnt it a competition on neogaf to design the box art for the euro release?
 i dont remember that being one of em

#6 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -

Wow, that kinda isn't as gewd as the U.S./JP one, in my opinion.  

And P.S., that whole "IGN voted best fighting game of the year" thing is kinda like a lie.  IGN voted it the best PS3 fighting game of the year and Street Fighter IV was voted the best 360 fighting game of the year.  Why/how they determined that is beyond me, but that's how it went down.  And this is the 360 version of BlazBlue.  Lies! :p 

#7 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
@Luke said:
" Wow, that kinda isn't as gewd as the U.S./JP one, in my opinion.  

And P.S., that whole "IGN voted best fighting game of the year" thing is kinda like a lie.  IGN voted it the best PS3 fighting game of the year and Street Fighter IV was voted the best 360 fighting game of the year.  Why/how they determined that is beyond me, but that's how it went down.  And this is the 360 version of BlazBlue.  Lies! :p  "
Man, that cover is a bazillion times better.
#8 Posted by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

to tell you the truth...i like it

#9 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Didn't people vote on the PAL cover?

#10 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I'm hardly a great appreciator of Japanese cartoons, but that's shocking.

#11 Posted by agentboolen (1760 posts) -

Maybe they were going for a soooo bad that you can't get it out of your mind look.  Either way its just a cover you should put the game in the Xbox360 and just play it.

#12 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

More importantly, how's the spine art? Considering that's what you'll be look at most of the time.

#13 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -

OH BOY THE US ALWAYS HAS THE WORST BOX ART.

Sure it does.

#14 Posted by iAmJohn (6114 posts) -

Wtf.

#15 Posted by wh1terav3n (657 posts) -

Weird, usually the NTSC is horrendous, but its actually better than that 14 year old scribble of a box art.

#16 Edited by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

Wow, that's awful. I'd keep it inside the awesome box if I were you.

Makes me glad I imported my copy, the Japanese art isn't quite as nice as the US stuff however. Oddly my copy doesn't have the Cero B label on the front like it does in the version below.

Front cover of BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (JP) for PlayStation 3
#17 Posted by Venatio (4491 posts) -

Wow...that really does look like shit, I wonder if it would be possible for it to look even more boring....nah not possible

#18 Edited by masterpaperlink (1836 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:

" @VicRattlehead said:

Yeas this is true, however the messy crap you got wasn't one of the entries, everyone voted for a markably better design of the main character, i think the artwork is being used on the main site www.blazbluegame.com they made the guy who won design another cover, so in the end there was no point having people vote.

EDIT: thats ^ what was voted for. Better but still.. they should just use official art.

oh and if you prefer that one that guy who made it has it available to print 

http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/my-art-is-on-blazblue-uk-cover/     (dnno how to link it)

#19 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

That isn't the cover for mine, but I can't remember if I imported it or not O_o

#20 Edited by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

so i guess the rumours that the pal version would have more chars and shit was a blatant lie then?

talking about this by the way:

http://kotaku.com/5337458/blazblue-coming-to-europe-in-2010-with-new-characters

#21 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

All of those box-art pictures are indicative of the character design in the game, thus they are all terrible.

#22 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -

Wow, i was considering getting it, but wow...

Import it is! Not worth it. Even for that crappy arcade stick it comes with.

#23 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

Y'see! Y'see what happens when all you European people claim you have the best box art?! 

Karma's a bitch, huh?

#24 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
@masterpaperlink said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

" @VicRattlehead said:

Yeas this is true, however the messy crap you got wasn't one of the entries, everyone voted for a markably better design of the main character, i think the artwork is being used on the main site www.blazbluegame.com they made the guy who won design another cover, so in the end there was no point having people vote.

EDIT: thats ^ what was voted for. Better but still.. they should just use official art.

oh and if you prefer that one that guy who made it has it available to print 

http://radiantdreamer.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/my-art-is-on-blazblue-uk-cover/     (dnno how to link it)

"
Cheers dude, but I wont be using anything from that Amateur artist.  
#25 Posted by SteveV (182 posts) -

Wait...what? Usually PAL covers completely annihilates the US/JAP covers.

#26 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11594 posts) -

Well, at least this is an exception to the "US boxart is always the worst" rule that seems to pop up frequently. But even then, this boxart is bad.

#27 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

For some reason theres always been something off about the blazblue character faces that makes it look awkward vs the anime i'm used to look at, as if the illustrations as if they had a korean artist work on it or something.

#28 Posted by cap123 (2477 posts) -

thank god the exception is a game i'll never play :)

thing looks ugly as hell

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.