altered_confusion's BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PlayStation 3) review

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger Review

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger is a fighting game from the company that brought you Guilty Gear, and to be honest the difference between the games is the name change, and the fact that there's no one hit kills. You will be able to select from a variety of characters each with their own twist to a central storyline. Each of these characters have their own move-set to learn to help you defeat your opponents in battle.

Graphically this game looks like what the next-gen Guilty Gear should look, with the hand drawn characters and very well done stages. Each character kind of has a one of look from Guilty Gear  characters. I really wish that the cut scenes were animated and not stills with a ton of text invading the screen.

The announcer, once again, sounds like a one off of the Guilty Gear series. The voice acting is really hit or miss, and I think it doesn't help, as mentioned before, that there's no motion from the characters during cut scenes so you're left just listening and reading.

The controls are comfortable, and if you play with a game pad the game is playable. This game really excels though if you can play with an arcade stick. With the move list easily accessible and being able to train you will find that after some practice you'll be able to make your character move fluidly.

The game is a fighting game, and even though there is a story the lack of action in the cut scenes is going to leave you focusing solely on the fighting. I do have to say that the story at first interested me and I wish that could have seen the anime that explained all that happened in text, but as time went on with playing this game, and fighting characters who has been featured in another characters story and their meetings not making any sense really shows that the focus wasn't on story.

If you are looking for a fighting game, and are a fan of the Guilty Gear style of play, you're going to want to  pick this game up. Personally I got this game because it was a fighting game that was talked about, and it is as good as advertised, I just wish there was a little something else to it. This game gets a 7.7 out of 10.