BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Trailer

• 101 results
#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

This is the trailer for the new BlazBlue iteration/revision/sequel that was announced at BlueFes 2012. It'll have:

• 3 new characters
  • Updated costumes for the other characters
  • Modifications to existing movesets

Along with some other changes.

Source

It'll release in Japan (arcades) in winter 2012. I wonder how this will do up against P4A, given that its two newly developed ASW fighting games released within the same year.

#2 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

Tager has a body slam, I'm obligated to support this.

#3 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

love blazblue and i'm psyched but i wish the fighting game genre could find a better way to release incremental content and gameplay/balance tweaks as opposed to periodic full retail releases

blazblue may be a good exception though, as the story is very involved and different in each entry.

#4 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

every time i think i want to play blazblue i'm like...well if i want to appreciate the story i'll have to play through like three(?) other games or read an excessive amount of wiki, because this shit looks confusing. then I think also I don't play arc systems fighters so i'd suck for a long time. but this appeals to my interests nevertheless

#5 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

Hrm, maybe I'll get back into BlazBlue and dust off my Litchi. It's weird seeing Arc be this prolific, but I guess they don't need to devote as many resources to an iterative update. Of course new costumes means completely new hand-drawn sprites and I'm assuming they're going to do a new story mode so maybe Arc is just bigger than I assumed.

I wish I could watch the trailer at work :'(

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

I don't like Blaz Blue, but i'll admit that shit was beautiful.

#7 Posted by Irvandus (2880 posts) -

Phantasmagoria?

#8 Posted by ricetopher (1046 posts) -

Azreal looks like a hella anime version of Shen Woo. Guess I'll try it out then.

#9 Edited by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

so is this the fifth iteration or what? Why couldn't they just do a real sequel instead of going this route on us?

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't know my original comment was frowned upon. Too much South Park in me. Sorry all.

#10 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -
@StarvingGamer Yeah man! Boobie Lady is the shit!

@Lunar_Aura Dude, that shit ain't cool.
#11 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

Huh, another title that doesn't make sense? Guess I should've expected that. I like Noel's new look but I'm worried that there was no Lambda replacement. Looks like I'm gonna have to find me a new main.

I wonder if this will be region locked too. I know that was Atlus' decision for P4A but if it works (which it appears to have done judging by Japanese sales figures) then ASW might take to the idea.

#12 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

so is this the fifth iteration or what? Why couldn't they just do a real sequel instead of going full jew on us?

...what?

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@Neurotic said:

I like Noel's new look but I'm worried that there was no Lambda replacement. Looks like I'm gonna have to find me a new main.

Maybe they want to keep a new Murakumo unit a secret for now?

#14 Posted by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Perhaps but they straight up revealed the other new characters so I don't see why it would be so secretive. Plus, a whole new Murakumo unit may not play like Lambda (like Mu didn't). I forget the specifics of the story but wasn't Nu's body salvaged at the end? I remember being told that Nu returning to replace Lambda was a possibility. No big deal if not, it's not as if I'm actually that good with Lambda but I'm at least familiar with her. If there's no analogue to her in this game, it will put me back at square one.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

so is this the fifth iteration or what? Why couldn't they just do a real sequel instead of going this route on us?

EDIT: Whoops. I didn't know my original comment was frowned upon. Too much South Park in me. Sorry all.

Technically, if the the story of this game actually follows Continuum Shift and doesn't just revise it as was the cased in CS2 or Extend, then that would make it a sequel.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16838 posts) -

They're really milking this shit for all it's worth, huh?

#17 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@Milkman: If providing consistent, meaningful updates for their fans is milking it, then yeah. But I guess if anyone would know, it would be you right?

#18 Posted by Milkman (16838 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@Milkman: If providing consistent, meaningful updates for their fans is milking it, then yeah. But I guess if anyone would know, it would be you right?

Seven games in three years seems like kind of a lot, no? It kind of defeats the purpose of consistent updates if you're buying a new game every time.

#19 Edited by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@Milkman: Try 4, counting the new one. Over 4 years.

EDIT: Also I believe that Continuum Shift was $39.99 on release as was Continuum Shift Extend (although CSE was a bit of a shitty update admittedly).

#20 Posted by Superkenon (1438 posts) -

@Milkman said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Seven games in three years seems like kind of a lot, no? It kind of defeats the purpose of consistent updates if you're buying a new game every time.

Seven? As of right now, there's only three disc releases of this game.

Unless you're counting the handheld versions.

#21 Edited by Superkenon (1438 posts) -

@StarvingGamer: I actually passed over Extend since I'm not very deep into the online scene, so the extra character and balance changes didn't mean a lot to me. I'd like to see those bits of story stuff they added though, so I'll probably pick it up when it comes down in price.

This new game, however, I will probably pick up immediately.

#22 Edited by DocHaus (1334 posts) -

Bah, you posted this before me? I can't believe I didn't see it!

Copypasting from my other thread...

• Three new playable characters confirmed. Not Kokonoe, Jubei and Saya (WHY?).
  • Amane: appears to be a Rule 63 version of Rose from Street Fighter. Has some special meter but I don't know what it does yet.
  • Bullet: similar to Makoto except angrier? Has a giant cannon strapped to her wrist that she can shoot people with. Wears a strip of denim across her waist that counts as "pants" in anime-world.
  • Azrael: A muscular brawling character who can teleport. Might be evil?
  • Noel has a slightly new costume (she ditched the NOL after the events of Continuum Shift. Her uniform shrank in the washer and she had to jury-rig something with the remaining cloth).
  • All older characters are returning, will have new special moves and/or Distortion Drives. All of them seem angry for one reason or another in the trailer. I'm hoping this isn't like a '90s-era X-TREME reimagining.
  • New HUD has a more...edgy look.
  • New default announcer is a few steps up from the one in BBCSEX. Not "good," but at least I won't have to put the TV on mute until I unlock a better voice. Maybe.

Discuss whether you think Mori's going to actually let someone make a BB anime next year, how long until the inevitable expansion is released, who will get nerfed into the ground, who will get buffed with an infinite combo, and your bets on whether or not Kokonoe/Jubei/Saya will be released as playable characters in DLC.

In before everyone's playing Persona 4 Arena instead.

#23 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@Superkenon: Yeah, I passed on it too. I was still way into SCV at the time and SFxT was just around the corner. This year I should be good to go though if we're really looking at a December-ish release.

#24 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@Superkenon said:

@StarvingGamer: I actually passed over Extend since I'm not very deep into the online scene, so the extra character and balance changes didn't mean a lot to me. I'd like to see those bits of story stuff they added though, so I'll probably pick it up when it comes down in price.

This new game, however, I will probably pick up immediately.

I'm not gonna lie. I bought Extend mainly for the soundtrack CD they included.

But Chrono Phantasma I will buy for Chrono Phantasma.

#25 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

I'm really not a fan of the presentation of these games. Or the characters designs. What kind of name is Platinum = The = Trinity.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

I didn't buy CS2 because I didn't play as much CS after the first couple weeks (and I should've, Litchi was so buffed from CT). I'll buy this.

#27 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm really not a fan of the presentation of these games. Or the characters designs. What kind of name is Platinum = The = Trinity.

The "=" signs in the names are just stylized spacing in those text treatments. They're not actually pronounced or anything.

#28 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2054 posts) -

The story of BB always seemed interesting. With that said, I would watch a BB anime.

#29 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

The "=" signs in the names are just stylized spacing in those text treatments. They're not actually pronounced or anything.

I'm aware of that. I added them because that is how the game spells the names. Adding equal signs to bridge names for whatever reason. It was my attempt to show how I feel the game style goes for a fair bit of unnecessary touches like that. Regardless if you pronouce the equals or not Platinum the Trinity is still a nonsense name. It's cool if you like it's hyper, style I just find it overwhelming.

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I'm aware of that. I added them because that is how the game spells the names. Adding equal signs to bridge names for whatever reason. It was my attempt to show how I feel the game style goes for a fair bit of unnecessary touches like that. Regardless if you pronouce the equals or not Platinum the Trinity is still a nonsense name. It's cool if you like it's hyper, style I just find it overwhelming.

Platinum the Trinity is not a nonsense name. It refers specifically to the fact that she has three independent personae (not Personae) inhabiting her body. The actual Platinum, and two others.

#31 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Platinum the Trinity is not a nonsense name. It refers specifically to the fact that she has three independent personae (not Personae) inhabiting her body. The actual Platinum, and two others.

I suppose. Platinum the Trinity is still a bizarre phrasing. Why not Trinity Platinum or vice versa. Now that I know the name the basis for her name I am even more confused. What are personae in the context of blazblue?

#32 Posted by Bocam (3761 posts) -

So the Winter 2012 release date is only for arcades in Japan. I'm kinda disappointed.

#33 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

@Bocam said:

So the Winter 2012 release date is only for arcades in Japan. I'm kinda disappointed.

Yeah, thought so after posting my release date comment in the OP. First loketest will be this Monday, I believe.

#34 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Platinum is her name and the Trinity is her descriptor. It's just like Atilla the Hun. Calling him Hun Atilla or Atilla Hun would be fucking stupid.

#35 Edited by Neurotic (632 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

What are personae in the context of blazblue?

They are what the word means in the context of the real world. A personality. Basically, she has multiple personalities. One of them (Trinity) is a very powerful figure in the Blazblue universe but she is unable to manifest as much as the other two.

#36 Posted by Sanj (2403 posts) -

Nice, looking forward to this.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Hailinel said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I suppose. Platinum the Trinity is still a bizarre phrasing. Why not Trinity Platinum or vice versa. Now that I know the name the basis for her name I am even more confused. What are personae in the context of blazblue?

When I say personae, I don't actually mean SMT-style Persona. I mean that there are three distinct souls inhabiting one body.

And actually, I was mistaken myself. It's been a while since I had played BlazBlue and gotten some bits mixed up. The character Platinum the Trinity is actually the character Trinity Glassfield, one of the Six Heroes of the BlazBlue universe and was referred to as the Platinum Alchemist. However, her soul now inhabits a body that shares two other souls, Luna (an asshole of a young girl) and Sena (a rather polite young boy). Trinity herself is only able to surface on occasion; most of the time, it's either Luna or Sena hopping back and forth in control.

And I fail to see how Trinity Platinum is any better than Platinum the Trinity, really.

#38 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

For all it's anime bullshit Blazblue does have some pretty cool (but kinda dumb) subtitles , it's like Dissidia 012 and 358/2 days done right.

#39 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: Platinum is her name and the Trinity is her descriptor. It's just like Atilla the Hun. Calling him Hun Atilla or Atilla Hun would be fucking stupid.

Got ya. Who is Atilia the Hun? Anything to do with Blazblue or just a reference I don't get?

#40 Posted by Bocam (3761 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@StarvingGamer said:

Got ya. Who is Atilia the Hun? Anything to do with Blazblue or just a reference I don't get?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attila

#41 Edited by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: Attila the Hun misspelled as Atilla the Hun, historical figure.

#42 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

This is the reason I will not buy any of these games, I will wait until they make the ultimate version with everything from past games all in 1, this is the 5th game in the series right? Pfft. -_-

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

This is the reason I will not buy any of these games, I will wait until they make the ultimate version with everything from past games all in 1, this is the 5th game in the series right? Pfft. -_-

Not counting Continuum Shift II and Extend (which were both updates to Continuum Shift), this is just the third one, really. It's a sequel to the Continuum Shift story.

#44 Posted by DocHaus (1334 posts) -

Voice Actors revealed, for those who care about that sort of thing.

Amane--Akira Ishida (Gaara from Naruto, Athrun from Gundam SEED)

Bullet--Toa Yukinari (Casca from Berserk, Fumi from Space Bros.)

Azrael--Hiroki Yasumoto (Chad from Bleach)

#45 Posted by ESREVER (2693 posts) -

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

This is amazing news! Noel looks sooooo goooood. I will get this day one for sure.

But they broke the pattern! It was suppose to be a "CR" subtitle!

Gah! Now I'm all giddy! Finally the continuation of the BB story... and of course, MORE NOEL!

#46 Posted by shakashuri (44 posts) -

All I need now is a new DarkStalkers game and I'm set.

#47 Posted by mwng (940 posts) -

I didn't think they could outdo Continuum Shift as a nuts subtitle, but way to prove me wrong ASW.

I'm totally sold, but now I have the dilemma of; do I try and get ok at P4A, or do I wait for this?

I CAN'T KNOW 2 THINGS AT ONCE!

#48 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@Hailinel: Ok. I know very little of the Blazblue fiction. I only played Calamity Trigger. The story never made a whole lot of sense to me. Granted I never 100 percent-ed the stroy or anything but I had zero desire to play any more of it either.

#49 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

Man, it must suck not being able to buy any game that has sequels until they release an all-in-one collection. The Assassin's Creed septology probably won't come out for two more console generations.

#50 Posted by Hailinel (24961 posts) -

@ESREVER said:

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!

This is amazing news! Noel looks sooooo goooood. I will get this day one for sure.

But they broke the pattern! It was suppose to be a "CR" subtitle!

Gah! Now I'm all giddy! Finally the continuation of the BB story... and of course, MORE NOEL!

Quick, everyone! Start an online petition to change the subtitle to Chrono Rhapsodia!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.