Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

A love/hate relationship with BB:Continuum Shift's Tutorial Mode.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Edited By ESREVER

Finally, after months and months of off and on attempts, I have finally bested the tutorial mode in BlazBlue Continuum Shift. 
    I have spent hours and hours trying the input methods of the selected lessons, hoping to get the timing right. Some of them were quite difficult, others a breeze. 

But oh man, freaking "About Counters" in the intermediate section can go take a flying leap into a never-ending pit of fire. This lesson has had me stuck for MONTHS. It was always the first part of the lesson that I couldn't get past.  

It was something along the lines of "quarter back circle + A, DASH, Standing B, Standing C, quarter back circle + A, and then quarter back circle D". (I don't know the proper fancy lingo the folks on dustloop use, sorry)
    The inputs themselves were relatively easy, but the game is SUPER particular about your timing. Like, you have to be exact, not a moment sooner, and not a moment later. So I had times where an attack wouldn't connect because freaking BANG would block, or I had times where the combo would connect and keep on going until the very end. Before I would finish the combo, the combo counter would reset for what seemed like no reason at all. Quite infuriating! 

Nevertheless, I kept at it, hoping that my timing would re-adjust itself as I made more and more attempts. Finally, after FOUR consecutive hours, I got it down, and was able to move on to the next part of the lesson. Of course, another Doozie! It was late, 5 am. My inputs were getting sloppier and sloppier. Made a bunch of stupid mistakes. Decided to call it a night and try again when I woke up. BUT OH NO! I can't quit out of the tutorial without having to do that first part again... So I had to leave my PS3 on over night, and my room got quite hot while I was sleeping. You think it would feel nice cause its the Winter season. Well, not in Texas. 

Got up later that day (today), turned on some music, and went at it again. This time, I muted the game volume. As much as I love hearing Bullet Dance playing on repeat (Believe me, I do) I couldn't stand to hear Ragna's or Bang's smart-ass remarks. Simply because it would remind me of my constant failure.  

So the lesson this time was concerning Fatal Counters and then combo-ing afterwards. The tutorial wanted me to "Crouching C (Induced a fatal counter), Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D" for a total of SEVEN hits. I had the same problems I did with the previous part. Timing. Watching the Sample Playback would only infuriate because I felt their Ragna was faster than mine. WHY OH WHY wouldn't my Ragna go straight into STANDING D after DASH CANCELING. Why would he just pause and watch Bang recover while still in the air. ARGHHHH. After THREE hours of constant attempts, I FINALLY GOT IT! 

However, in my excitement, I shouted "Fuck YES!" and slammed my hand down on my fightstick, accidentally pressing the Sample Playback button before the window fully disappeared. "SHIIIIIT!"followed afterwards as it rebooted my Ragna in the default fight position, with the window of commands reappearing at the top. A true Facepalm moment if I ever had one. 

But it was ok, another 20 minutes of doing the same commands, I finally got it down and proceeded further into the tutorial lesson. To my dismay, there were more parts of the lesson, but was glad to find out they were about throw counters. A simple button press of R2 to interrupt Bang's attack with my throw and I was well on my way to the end. 

Part four was also a breeze, Crouching A and Throw. Simple. To my delight, that was the final part of the lesson, and I was rewarded with my "Ragna Cum Laude" trophy! 

Now I know a lot of this sounds like I absolutely despise the tutorial system, but thats not the case at all. I actually appreciate that they took the time to explain this game's mechanics and what makes it's gameplay special apart from other fighters to new players of the genre/series. It has a very well-done voiced tutorial, voiced by the always-entertaining and insulting Rachel Alucard. It offers a plethora of advice and strategies to help deal with superior opponents as well. 
     I only wish it offered some sort of metronome or timer when showing you the examples of the moves you need to do in order to progress. Also, a feature on the side where you can see what button inputs you or the computer are making like what you find in SSFIV.     

A big thanks to Girls Dead Monster's Shine Days for finally helping me get the timing down. Playing this game to music, I found, is quite helpful when trying to figure out the rhythmic timing inputs. 

What are your thoughts on the tutorial system in BlazBlue, and what would you like to see added or improved?

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ESREVER

Finally, after months and months of off and on attempts, I have finally bested the tutorial mode in BlazBlue Continuum Shift. 
    I have spent hours and hours trying the input methods of the selected lessons, hoping to get the timing right. Some of them were quite difficult, others a breeze. 

But oh man, freaking "About Counters" in the intermediate section can go take a flying leap into a never-ending pit of fire. This lesson has had me stuck for MONTHS. It was always the first part of the lesson that I couldn't get past.  

It was something along the lines of "quarter back circle + A, DASH, Standing B, Standing C, quarter back circle + A, and then quarter back circle D". (I don't know the proper fancy lingo the folks on dustloop use, sorry)
    The inputs themselves were relatively easy, but the game is SUPER particular about your timing. Like, you have to be exact, not a moment sooner, and not a moment later. So I had times where an attack wouldn't connect because freaking BANG would block, or I had times where the combo would connect and keep on going until the very end. Before I would finish the combo, the combo counter would reset for what seemed like no reason at all. Quite infuriating! 

Nevertheless, I kept at it, hoping that my timing would re-adjust itself as I made more and more attempts. Finally, after FOUR consecutive hours, I got it down, and was able to move on to the next part of the lesson. Of course, another Doozie! It was late, 5 am. My inputs were getting sloppier and sloppier. Made a bunch of stupid mistakes. Decided to call it a night and try again when I woke up. BUT OH NO! I can't quit out of the tutorial without having to do that first part again... So I had to leave my PS3 on over night, and my room got quite hot while I was sleeping. You think it would feel nice cause its the Winter season. Well, not in Texas. 

Got up later that day (today), turned on some music, and went at it again. This time, I muted the game volume. As much as I love hearing Bullet Dance playing on repeat (Believe me, I do) I couldn't stand to hear Ragna's or Bang's smart-ass remarks. Simply because it would remind me of my constant failure.  

So the lesson this time was concerning Fatal Counters and then combo-ing afterwards. The tutorial wanted me to "Crouching C (Induced a fatal counter), Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D" for a total of SEVEN hits. I had the same problems I did with the previous part. Timing. Watching the Sample Playback would only infuriate because I felt their Ragna was faster than mine. WHY OH WHY wouldn't my Ragna go straight into STANDING D after DASH CANCELING. Why would he just pause and watch Bang recover while still in the air. ARGHHHH. After THREE hours of constant attempts, I FINALLY GOT IT! 

However, in my excitement, I shouted "Fuck YES!" and slammed my hand down on my fightstick, accidentally pressing the Sample Playback button before the window fully disappeared. "SHIIIIIT!"followed afterwards as it rebooted my Ragna in the default fight position, with the window of commands reappearing at the top. A true Facepalm moment if I ever had one. 

But it was ok, another 20 minutes of doing the same commands, I finally got it down and proceeded further into the tutorial lesson. To my dismay, there were more parts of the lesson, but was glad to find out they were about throw counters. A simple button press of R2 to interrupt Bang's attack with my throw and I was well on my way to the end. 

Part four was also a breeze, Crouching A and Throw. Simple. To my delight, that was the final part of the lesson, and I was rewarded with my "Ragna Cum Laude" trophy! 

Now I know a lot of this sounds like I absolutely despise the tutorial system, but thats not the case at all. I actually appreciate that they took the time to explain this game's mechanics and what makes it's gameplay special apart from other fighters to new players of the genre/series. It has a very well-done voiced tutorial, voiced by the always-entertaining and insulting Rachel Alucard. It offers a plethora of advice and strategies to help deal with superior opponents as well. 
     I only wish it offered some sort of metronome or timer when showing you the examples of the moves you need to do in order to progress. Also, a feature on the side where you can see what button inputs you or the computer are making like what you find in SSFIV.     

A big thanks to Girls Dead Monster's Shine Days for finally helping me get the timing down. Playing this game to music, I found, is quite helpful when trying to figure out the rhythmic timing inputs. 

What are your thoughts on the tutorial system in BlazBlue, and what would you like to see added or improved?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By DocHaus

I like the tutorial system because it teaches you the basics not just for playing BB:CS, but some basics of VS Fighting games in general, stuff like dash-cancelling and linkage. However, I do agree with your comment on the timing: my albatross was trying to beat that Fatal Counter combo section where you have to mash 5D twice, dash forward and repeat the action three times and Bang would always. fucking. block before I could finish the last two 5D. Don't even get me started on how I can barely beat any challenge past #3 with any of the fucking characters despite people on other forums saying how easy it was for them. Makes me wonder if they have a trained spider working the stick for them while they play.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

So this might be a good place to ask - is Continuum Shift good? I played Calamity Trigger a fair bit when it first came out but kind of fell off the wagon.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ESREVER
    @DocHaus:   

However, I do agree with your comment on the timing: my albatross was trying to beat that Fatal Counter combo section where you have to mash 5D twice, dash forward and repeat the action three times and Bang would always. fucking. block before I could finish the last two 5D. Don't even get me started on how I can barely beat any challenge past #3 with any of the fucking characters despite people on other forums saying how easy it was for them.

I'm so relieved to hear someone else having the same problem. I thought I was just failing miserably! I was disappointed I was only able to get to Challenge 4 with my girl, Noel. Her combo trees are frightening long. Doesn't help they go off screen so I forget what comes next in the combo tree.

But yea, all this about "Dash Canceling," didn't even know what it was until I played this game's tutorial mode. And I've played previous fighting games before. Now to learn how to make use of it...
    DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DocHaus
    @benjaebe:
    Short answer, yes. Buy it and play with us, because I too am trying to get back on the wagon.

Long answer: if you liked CT then you will probably still like CS (unless you were a Rachel player, in which case just pray the patch comes out soon). There are a few new characters, the existing ones have been granted a new ability or two, and Bang is still awesome in his own little way. Just be careful when playing the story, because they take themselves a bit too seriously and even the "funny" scenes tend to drag on longer than they should, but it's a (relatively) painless way of unlocking Mu-12 for play.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ESREVER
    @benjaebe: Yes. I love it! I've been playing it straight for the past couple of days since Shirogane finally got it. Had to practice after a couple of months of not playing. 
    There's a lot of depth to it, and it has a few characters that are great for beginners, and then some truly unusual characters that are great for people who are more familiar with fighting games. 
    Speed and Mobility are ya thing? Here's Tao. 
    Heavy grappling characters that bulldoze there way to you? Tager is your man. 
    and so forth.  

Great game with a great online! I'm surprised I can fight friends in Australia with virtually no lag!
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane
    @ESREVER:
    Meow?
    Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Vade

Tried that tutorial stuff for the first time because of this thread. Took like 10 minutes and around a dozen tries for the 5D dash part.

Apparently if you dash really early it's easy. 5D tap tap 5D tap tap 5D. Not too bad, seems practical too.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

This is the reason I can no longer break into fighting games, the theory behind it all is useless in the form of just the button presses, I need someone to explain how to apply it all otherwise I just forget or at worst fumble about with the controller.

Interesting read, nice to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have the smoothest time with this sort of thing.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Jaktajj
    @ESREVER:  Ouch, did it really take that long to get those combos in tutorial or is three hours an exaggeration? The one that stuck me the most was the block>Inferno Divider in-the-middle of Bang's combo one - that took me about 15 minutes of constant tries. The key to these things (and the challenge combos) is, like you said, the timing. If something isn't working though, switch up the timing of the button inputs - slower and faster and try not to get into the habit of frustrated pulling of same timing over and overwhile shouting 'WHY ISN'T THIS GOD DAMN THING WORKING?!?!' which is oh-so easily done. I found this advice is the thing that helped me the most, coming from Street Fighter experience.  Overall though, the entire tutorial segment was fantastic, such a good explanation to Blazblue, and fighting games in general.

@WatanabeKazuma: Definately check out Blazblue - the tutorial in it is really fantastic, it explains absolutely everything you need to know.

@benjaebe: Easily my GOTY. Even with Red Dead Redemption, Starcraft 2 and a whole host of other games that were amazing this year. If I had to stand by one, it would be Blazblue - the amount of Love and charm that seems to have been poured into this game is just something you don't see often in mainstream entertainment and is amazing when it does come along.
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ESREVER
    @el_tajij: I wish I was exaggerating. Now I don't think it was 3 hours of constant trying. My laptop is next to me while I play so I might have had some distraction during my prolonged failure. Mostly me raging at Shirogane about how stupid Bang is and has to block me all the time! 
    Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vanek

@ESREVER said:

"So the lesson this time was concerning Fatal Counters and then combo-ing afterwards. The tutorial wanted me to "Crouching C (Induced a fatal counter), Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D (Both Hits), Dash Cancel, Standing D" for a total of SEVEN hits. I had the same problems I did with the previous part. Timing. Watching the Sample Playback would only infuriate because I felt their Ragna was faster than mine."

Sigh ... I got the game today (several days late because of weather conditions) and I was doing fine until I got to that part.  I tried it for about twenty minutes and then gave up.  

I'm actually finding myself questioning if BlazBlue is the game for me as it's so combo focused, and I'm terrible at remembering and executing combos.  It probably doesn't help that I'm finding it hard to motivate myself to play any games right now.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Lemoncookie01

This game taught me I should just stick to Tekken and MvC2.I also smashed the CD with my foot to never again be tempted to play it.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocHaus
    @Lemoncookie01:
    Really dude? You raged badly enough to smash your disc? I understand being annoyed at this thing, but damn son...

No Caption Provided
    shakashuri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By shakashuri

Little late to the party but yeah what the hell, though there is a of good to be said for the tutorial when there is something a little off with your input and no feedback on what to do its kinda annoying. Though it is a few steps above old super Street Fighter 4 trials. Also Esrever though Noel isn't my main I respect your love of her, it bugs me that nobody gives her much respect both in game and the community.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ESREVER
    @shakashuri: Haha, thanks. She does get ridiculed too much in the game's story. (stupid Jin) But that's ok, I'm here for her, and will attempt to wipe the floor as her against anyone I fight.
    DrM2theJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DrM2theJ

Happened to stumble upon this as I was searching for help on “About Counters”, which I’ve been stuck on for about 40 minutes in the Vita version. What a blast from the past, huh? Haha!

Well, I can get the down-C, forward-C, dash cancel, D part, but the subsequent dash cancel, D never seems to work. I guess I just can’t get the timing on the dash cancel for the D move correct or something.

Why am I playing a nine year old BlazBlue game on my Vita? Because it was free on PS Plus at some point and after playing BBTAG I just kind of got interested in the oddity that is a Vita fighting game. Got SFxT on there too. Haha.

Update: got it after about an hour, the timing on the dash cancel out of standing D is just faster than I expected. Tutorials in all of these Arcsys games are amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.