Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

So, is this being rebalanced to not play like ass?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

I suppose not, but a man can dream. Yay for the mashfest that was BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger!

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mrjared

It still plays like BlazBlue so if you just didn't like how it feels, then stay far away from it. But yes, the roster is balanced in a way that is much more sane. That doesn't mean it's perfect because, in typical ARC fashion, they simply took the better characters like V-13, Arakune and made them the worst. In V-13's case they completely replaced the character. They also took away the one thing that made Carl viable so now he's even worse than before. On the flip side, previously crap characters like Bang are crazy good. This is simply how they roll. 

So is it rebalanced? Yes. Does it play any different? Nope.

LightGaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LightGaia

lol so I can assume you officially hated the original? XD Anyway, I hope the game is more balanced so I'll see more than Ragna, Noel, and Hakumen online. Mainly Ragna. A LOT of people main him that it's ridiculous.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By Atlas
    @MrJared said:
    " It still plays like BlazBlue so if you just didn't like how it feels, then stay far away from it. But yes, the roster is balanced in a way that is much more sane. That doesn't mean it's perfect because, in typical ARC fashion, they simply took the better characters like V-13, Arakune and made them the worst. In V-13's case they completely replaced the character. They also took away the one thing that made Carl viable so now he's even worse than before. On the flip side, previously crap characters like Bang are crazy good. This is simply how they roll.   So is it rebalanced? Yes. Does it play any different? Nope. "
    You were pretty scathing about BlazBlue and ARC System Works in general in the quick look for Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire. Is that more a Street Fighter community thing (bias against other fighting games maybe?), or purely personal preference? Personally I respect ARC a great deal for being able to create such unique fighting games, despite some of their shortcomings.

As for us Europeans, we're still waiting for Calamity Trigger to arrive next month. Sadface.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Luke
    @Napalm said:

" I suppose not, but a man can dream. Yay for the mashfest that was BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger! "

@LightGaia said:

" lol so I can assume you officially hated the original? XD Anyway, I hope the game is more balanced so I'll see more than Ragna, Noel, and Hakumen online. Mainly Ragna. A LOT of people main him that it's ridiculous. "

@Atlas said:

" @MrJared said:

" It still plays like BlazBlue so if you just didn't like how it feels, then stay far away from it. But yes, the roster is balanced in a way that is much more sane. That doesn't mean it's perfect because, in typical ARC fashion, they simply took the better characters like V-13, Arakune and made them the worst. In V-13's case they completely replaced the character. They also took away the one thing that made Carl viable so now he's even worse than before. On the flip side, previously crap characters like Bang are crazy good. This is simply how they roll.   So is it rebalanced? Yes. Does it play any different? Nope. "

You were pretty scathing about BlazBlue and ARC System Works in general in the quick look for Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire. Is that more a Street Fighter community thing (bias against other fighting games maybe?), or purely personal preference? Personally I respect ARC a great deal for being able to create such unique fighting games, despite some of their shortcomings. As for us Europeans, we're still waiting for Calamity Trigger to arrive next month. Sadface. "

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is much improved over the original, as far as I can tell... even though yeah, as of right now, it does look like some characters like Bang and Litchi are gunna be top tier. 

Some things that I really like include the way that bursts are handled now and just the Guard Libra changes in general (the "bullet" icons in the UI). 

Anyway, it's an amazing game, in my opinion!  I've been playing the arcade version of it at SFSU for a while now. 

Check-out this pretty kewl video of pros playin' it in SoCal: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfNankob2Mo 

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Atlas:  

It's definitely a Street Fighter community thing, the community of twats trounced a fine fighting game and it ended up paying a heavy price. 

This will be an even better affair, rebalanced and polished to a very high standard - location testing at three arcades across Tokyo will continue up until the late stages of development according to Arc.  

[8.7]  Metacritic

@MrJared said: 

How the fuck do you know how it plays, when you haven't even played it  :?

Seriously, what makes you such an authority on fighting games on this site? I find the very notion comical when you spout bullshit like this, and this:    

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii/60-36/is-midway-working-on-a-wii2-project/35-397458/?page=2 "
    Alright simmer down man. Jared Lives in Cali hangs out with alot of the pro SF4 players and is constanly at the arcade. The new BlazBlue is already out in arcade so it is very possible Jared has already played it (I belive he stated that he has) OR that he has spoken to the people who are dedicated to the first BlazBlue and would know from there reactions if the game plays any different.  I don't know why your taking such offense to everything Jared is saying perhaps you need to hug it out? who know.

Point is, weather you like it or not Jared knows what he is talking about. Which is more than I can say than most people who comment on the first BlazBlue...
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Jeffsekai said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

" @Atlas:  

It's definitely a Street Fighter community thing, the community of twats trounced a fine fighting game and it ended up paying a heavy price. 

This will be an even better affair, rebalanced and polished to a very high standard - location testing at three arcades across Tokyo will continue up until the late stages of development according to Arc.  

[8.7]  Metacritic

@MrJared said: 

How the fuck do you know how it plays, when you haven't even played it  :?

Seriously, what makes you such an authority on fighting games on this site? I find the very notion comical when you spout bullshit like this, and this:    

http://www.giantbomb.com/wii/60-36/is-midway-working-on-a-wii2-project/35-397458/?page=2 "
    Alright simmer down man. Jared Lives in Cali hangs out with alot of the pro SF4 players and is constanly at the arcade. The new BlazBlue is already out in arcade so it is very possible Jared has already played it (I belive he stated that he has) OR that he has spoken to the people who are dedicated to the first BlazBlue and would know from there reactions if the game plays any different.  I don't know why your taking such offense to everything Jared is saying perhaps you need to hug it out? who know.  Point is, weather you like it or not Jared knows what he is talking about. Which is more than I can say than most people who comment on the first BlazBlue... "

Nobody has played the refined console version of this game, a version Arc has stated would be advanced to the arcade version/ which I myself happen to think is excellent. The three location tests at the Happy Arcades in Tokyo are still running, continuing to draw in data that's aiding the designers working on home versions development. I'm very confident about the home release, I expect yet more positive alterations.

I haven't seen the Quick Look that Atlas has just mentioned above, but if I did I'd be asking myself what I'm asking myself now - why the fuck do so many on this site seem to see him as some kind of "expert" of fighting game genre?. Only the other week another member PM'd me to ask who he was, I had no reply for her, because I myself haven't got a fricking clue.  It sounds to me like he was simply asked on the show to do a Jackie Chan Quick Look, because he has an original cab, but instead took the opportunity to troll Blaz Blue in typical Street Fighter fanboy fashion. It would seem that since that appearance on GB many of you see him as some sort of "expert" of the genre, including yourself. I'm sure I've seen you cal; him an "expert" in previous Blaz Blue thread.  

The first two posts in this thread are the typical shit drivel you'll often find coming from Street Fighter fanboys [ . ]

@Luke said:

" @Napalm said:

" I suppose not, but a man can dream. Yay for the mashfest that was BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger! "

@LightGaia said:

" lol so I can assume you officially hated the original? XD Anyway, I hope the game is more balanced so I'll see more than Ragna, Noel, and Hakumen online. Mainly Ragna. A LOT of people main him that it's ridiculous. "

@Atlas said:

" @MrJared said:

You were pretty scathing about BlazBlue and ARC System Works in general in the quick look for Jackie Chan: Fists of Fire. Is that more a Street Fighter community thing (bias against other fighting games maybe?), or purely personal preference? Personally I respect ARC a great deal for being able to create such unique fighting games, despite some of their shortcomings. As for us Europeans, we're still waiting for Calamity Trigger to arrive next month. Sadface. "

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift is much improved over the original, as far as I can tell... even though yeah, as of right now, it does look like some characters like Bang and Litchi are gunna be top tier. 

Some things that I really like include the way that bursts are handled now and just the Guard Libra changes in general (the "bullet" icons in the UI). 

Anyway, it's an amazing game, in my opinion!  I've been playing the arcade version of it at SFSU for a while now. 

Check-out this pretty kewl video of pros playin' it in SoCal: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfNankob2Mo 

"

Yeah, it definitely is, and you can expect a far better experience from the home release in three months time (PS3). Arc are doing a shit load of fine tuning right now and they have a ton of data to aid them  - expect an awesome game. 
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @Linkyshinks: You couldn't be more wrong. I can guarantee that Console BB will play the same as arcade BB. It sounds to me that you're just a rampant BlazBlue fanboy thats still butthurt over a year old review score, and hates that everyone loves SF. Sucks cuz I kinda liked your posts but now I could care less. 'Im done with this subject.
    Necrotrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Necrotrophic

I really want to like BlazBlue, I have the original but cant make sense of it. it just seems very mashy =\ 

i heard theres like a training mode to show you the mechanics of the game, how is that? 

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By DocHaus
    @Napalm said:
    "How come I can't win when I fight against actual people?"
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#11  Edited By Jazz

If anyone..anyone can take Jeff's reviews of fighting games seriously after MKvsDC got 5*, you're better men then I. 
    I don't know why Blazblue is marginalised to such a degree compared to SFIV. As much as I love the old SF games, Guilty Gear and Blazblue are my fighting games now. After what I thought was the massive let down of SFIV and (though not entirely relevant) Darkstalkers on the psp (compared to the sublime guilty gear and Blazblue ports) unless its MvC3, I have zero interest in a capcom fighting game. That art style is god awful too. 
    Nevertheless I'm damn happy that the market can cater to both preferences, I can see why so many people like SSFIV, for what it is I'm sure it's great. I just wish that Jeff and his legion of fanboys wouldn't be such fucking fighting game elitist pricks every time someone mentions an Arksys game. It makes them look like idiots.

indyterminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By indyterminator

I don't know if its elitism, but they seem to have their opinions which is fine. I've picked up the new BlazBlue and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not playing at a pro level. I like that BlazBlue is different than Street Fighter or the Versus series.  I think CS plays just fine but I thought SF4 played fine as well. Its not like we have to compare them to the masterpiece that is Jackie Chan. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I do wish Jeff (and Vinny and Brad, when applicable) would show more love down BlazBlue's way.  I think the simple fact is that BlazBlue (and Guilty Gear) is a fighting game that came out in the 00s, and Jeff prefers the fighting series that came out in the early to middle 90s.  The ones he grew up with, basically.  He likes Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, KOF and sometimes Tekken.  He doesn't like the Vs. series, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear or BlazBlue.  That is a pattern in mine eyes.

It kind of bummed me out that it didn't even get a mention in the Bombcast the week it came out... meanwhile they discussed X-Ray Super Moves for something bordering on five minutes.  I'll put dollars to donuts that BlazBlue is better than MK9.  Because even if I'm proven wrong, then there's donuts.  Win-win.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By McQuinn
    @Necrotrophic: The training mode is pretty good.  You set everything you want and do what ever you want.  The big addition for newbies is the challenge mode. Contrary to the name it's actually another training room.  It gives you a combo list for you to complete and gives you variety of combos to learn too. It demonstrates all the combos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.