Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

BlazBlue: Continuum Shift

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 20, 2009

The second main installment of the BlazBlue series of fighting games, continuing Ragna's tale of manipulated time while revamping some of the original game's gameplay systems.

What's with the lack of support from the Giantbomb staff?

• 99 results
    AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AxleBro

it seems like they would enjoy and game that's as nuts and over the top as blazblue, i think Jeff might have skipped through the story mode a bit in his first review, now whenever someone mentions it in the bombcast he will simple scoff at its very existence. that's a bummer man :/ now we know that there is little to know chance of them even looking at this much more refined and easy to learn sequel that might show them the potential of a fighting game that isn't street fighter or mortal combat.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

No Caption Provided
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Ace829

They have very similar tastes and this game is too over the top for them. At least that's the vibe I get from them. Blazblue is a great game, and hopefully people actually try it out instead of dismiss it because of Jeff. >_>

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By lead_farmer

I still have to play Blazblue.  I liked Guilty Gear and was thinking of getting the First Blazblue release when it came out but just kinda never got around to it.  Maybe I should head over to some user reviews.

Also, I think maybe Jeff isn't down for it because it wasn't one of those fighting games that he has a history.  He seems to really love Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat so that's what he'll want to talk about.  Although they did do a quicklook of the first one right?

Frozen_Ice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Frozen_Ice
    @Ace829 said:
    " They have very similar tastes and this game is too over the top for them. At least that's the vibe I get from them. Blazblue is a great game, and hopefully people actually try it out instead of dismiss it because of Jeff. >_> "
    The only person's reviews I trust are Brad's, because we have a lot of the same opinions. Jeff is just not a very good reviewer to me, and I don't really care for Ryan, because he reviews games I'm not interested in.
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
    slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By slax
    @buzz_clik said:
    " Well, they've never even done a Quick Look or a review of my favourite game. Haters. "
    It's probably because it's so obviously a 5 star they didn't even feel the need to review it.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By JJOR64

Jeff doesn't like fighting games like BlazBlue so that's why there is no coverage.  That's my guess.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By adoggz
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished a post on this in the other thread, but yeah, I'd say Jeff has no personal history with the series, so there's just no room in his black, wilted heart for the joys of BlazBlue.

The thing I've found interesting about the review was that he mentioned that it's a fighting game for people who've followed fighting games for a long time.  I play this game with my friends, and they pick it up super quick.  The divergent characters (12 characters who play vastly different, rather than 30 characters who play in 5 different ways), and pretty intuitive movesets make versus play and loser passes the controller parties fun... I find it baffling BlazBlue gets that rap, when Street Fighter requires twenty hours of practice to become fun.  BlazBlue, my friends were able to go buck ass wild with their characters within three matches.

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By StarwindX9

People don't like everything. He played the game and didn't like it. Don't be so butt hurt. They shit on my favorite games all the time, while they praise games I find to be utter garbage. People have differing tastes... deal with it

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By Hector
    @Coltonio7:  lol on GB do I see pics like that lol
    McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McQuinn

What was weird was I was never into fighting games, but their not that fantastic quick look of calamity trigger actually got me super hyped about it.  Even though they don't make it look good, sometimes the game sells itself.  I love bb.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ryax
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    1. Read this review.  Again.
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    4. Realize that it's just not their type of game.
    "
    well this is pretty much it. 
    drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By drakesfortune

Listen to Weekend Confirmed, and realize that not everyone is going to like what you like.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Clinkz
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    5. Realize Jeff is biased towards non-street fighter fighting games / anime looking games.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ch13696

I'm with you, but then I'm not. There's nothing we can do about Jeff and Ryan not caring much about any games. I think it just came down to the point where they just don't care about them anymore. Well, mainly sleeper hits like BlazBlue. If you want to hear from people that give games a try and notice the good things about them then like @drakesfortune mentioned, listen to Weekend Confirmed. 

This isn't anything to bash on Jeff or Ryan. I just think maybe they could use a break. A long vacation.

Leevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Leevz

You also have to take into acount that when the giantbomb staff review something its different from other reviews in the sense that a normal review talks about how the audience at large responds to it and a giantbomb review talks about how Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, Brad, Dave or whoever else does a review for them talks about how they like the game, different people have different tastes

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By bed
    @Clinkz said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    5. Realize Jeff is biased towards non-street fighter fighting games / anime looking games. "
    are you kidding me?
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Brendan

C'mon guys, we've been over this before.  It's just not going to happen on this site.  It sucks for the Blazblue fans, but it's the concrete reality of the situation. 

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DukesT3

Honestly. Why do people really give a fuck what Jeff thinks? If you think it's good, then go spread the word. If the staff are not into that type of game then let it go. I just got a copy from gamefly and its fun. Something I won't buy cause I really don't care to get into all that hardcore. So if you think this is the most amazing fighting game every made. Good for you. Stop caring what other people think and getting super defensive about it.

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vade

I thought it was kinda weird that they didn't even mention it in new releases. I'd love Jeff bashing the game in a quick look / review but guess that won't happen.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I hope they review BlaysBloo just to screw with ya :p
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LooseChange said:
    " Honestly. Why do people really give a fuck what Jeff thinks? If you think it's good, then go spread the word. If the staff are not into that type of game then let it go. I just got a copy from gamefly and its fun. Something I won't buy cause I really don't care to get into all that hardcore. So if you think this is the most amazing fighting game every made. Good for you. Stop caring what other people think and getting super defensive about it. "
    Let's face it.  The majority of people on this site are vastly influenced by what Jeff and the staff think.  That the staff gives no notice that this game exists lowers the amount of Giant Bombers who take a look at it, which lowers the amount of people playing it on the site, which is a bummer.  Street Fighter was going to be more popular than BlazBlue no matter what, but when every Street Fighter game gets a 5 star rating and hours of discussion on the Bombcast, and BlazBlue gets a 3 star review (when it gets a review at all) and no discussion whatsoever... it limits the amount of people on Giant Bomb who are interested in BlazBlue, and that's a bummer.  I'm legitimately entitled to think it's a bummer. 
    floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26  Edited By floodiastus
    @Axleisbored said:

" it seems like they would enjoy and game that's as nuts and over the top as blazblue, i think Jeff might have skipped through the story mode a bit in his first review, now whenever someone mentions it in the bombcast he will simple scoff at its very existence. that's a bummer man :/ now we know that there is little to know chance of them even looking at this much more refined and easy to learn sequel that might show them the potential of a fighting game that isn't street fighter or mortal combat. "

Well I didn't like the game either, besides we all stick to review-sites that have a similar taste in games as ourselves. I agree with 90% of all reviews on this site and that is a pretty good number imho 
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By luce
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    Thats never stopped them from quicklooking Monster hunter games

Thats just a poor excuse
    Kapwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Kapwan

I think they will be willing to give BB:CS a quick look or review at some point, but since they didn't really like the first game that much it's low on their priority list.  In the end you gotta remember a review is just one person's opinion, if Jeff is the type of guy to admit he was wrong if he was.  BB:CS is a great game and one that has received great praise on a number of sites, but it's not without it's flaws.  It just happens to get reviewed more harshly than Street Fighter because it doesn't have the Nostolgia Factor of Street Fighter.   Many of the criticisms people have against the game, are just a matter of taste.  So if you hate anime style character design or the visual novel structured story then your not gonna like a lot of things about the game.  Most people who don't play fighting games only know Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat so when something completely different comes along if they don't instantly understand it, they tend to just claim it's garbage and not take the time to truly get into it.

Ghost249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ghost249
    @Kapwan said:
    " I think they will be willing to give BB:CS a quick look or review at some point, but since they didn't really like the first game that much it's low on their priority list.  In the end you gotta remember a review is just one person's opinion, if Jeff is the type of guy to admit he was wrong if he was.  BB:CS is a great game and one that has received great praise on a number of sites, but it's not without it's flaws.  It just happens to get reviewed more harshly than Street Fighter because it doesn't have the Nostolgia Factor of Street Fighter.   Many of the criticisms people have against the game, are just a matter of taste.  So if you hate anime style character design or the visual novel structured story then your not gonna like a lot of things about the game.  Most people who don't play fighting games only know Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat so when something completely different comes along if they don't instantly understand it, they tend to just claim it's garbage and not take the time to truly get into it. "
    Agreed, and that's seriously how most people take on things. Nicely said Kapwan (^^)b
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeffsekai
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    This. 

If they reviewed it they would just shit all over it again for all the wrong reasons.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EliasT
    @Clinkz said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

"

2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    5. Realize Jeff is biased towards anime looking games. "
    This, it's really annoying and is the only time I consider Jeff to be unreliable in his reviews, since he doesn't like anime it's pretty much impossible for him to give a favorable review to games like that. Matt Kessler should be in charge of all anime game/JRPG reviews, that is his strong suit.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Clinkz
    @AjayRaz said:
    " @Clinkz said:
    " @FluxWaveZ said:
    "
    2. Read the comments.
    3. Watch the Quick Look.
    "
    5. Realize Jeff is biased towards non-street fighter fighting games / anime looking games. "
    are you kidding me? "
    No.
    AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AxleBro

i honestly feel jeff would give the new one at least 4 stars, he didn't like it mostly due to him now being able to pick it up from what i saw in the quicklooks.

lets get Matt to do a full review on the new one.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RE_Player1
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Axleisbored said:

" i honestly feel jeff would give the new one at least 4 stars, he didn't like it mostly due to him now being able to pick it up from what i saw in the quicklooks.  lets get Matt to do a full review on the new one. "

I'm sure that this game has been reviewed on other sites, you can always get support from them.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By OneManX

i guess no one read the review... seeing as one of the first lines of the review was him saying that he liked the Guilty Gear games (to what extent is unknown), but he knew the style of game that he was going in. He broke down some of the fight mechanics and praised the online play 

It basically boiled down to, the art-style may not be everyone's cup of tea and the fight mechanics have a slight learning curve to them.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#37  Edited By Jazz
    @OneManX said:
    " i guess no one read the review... seeing as one of the first lines of the review was him saying that he liked the Guilty Gear games (to what extent is unknown), but he knew the style of game that he was going in. He broke down some of the fight mechanics and praised the online play  It basically boiled down to, the art-style may not be everyone's cup of tea and the fight mechanics have a slight learning curve to them. "
    No he had said many times that he really doesn't like the guilty gear games, at least the later ones that lean more towards Blazblue. It's on a recent podcast where they briefly mention Blazblue. Jeff's review of MKvsDC showed me that we have completely different ideas of what we want out of a fighting game..so i tend to read his opinion out of interest, but my personal taste differs considerably.  A lot of what they complain about in the review (no Ryu? WTF is Jin then?) and what he finds to be flashy (and in my mind absolutely no different to SFIV supers and select screen) I find normal. 
    It's a style thing. 
    Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#38  Edited By RelentlessKnight

Here I will embed the QL for you guys so that you could hear why Jeff doesn't like this game. His main criticism is not because of the anime-style and I find that the cutscenes are bad, it's not animated just still images will voice acting.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By scarace360

i wouldnt mind even if they just did a quick look.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Supermarius

There are alot of game series that the GB crew incorrectly hate or ignore. Someone should keep a list. Just some things that would go on it are: Blazblue, Pokemon, Sonic & Knuckles (seriously, wtf Jeff), Just Cause 2, nippon ichi stuff, etc

EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EliasT
    @Supermarius said:
    " There are alot of game series that the GB crew incorrectly hate or ignore. Someone should keep a list. Just some things that would go on it are: Blazblue, Pokemon, Sonic & Knuckles (seriously, wtf Jeff), Just Cause 2, nippon ichi stuff, etc "
    Get rid of the Sonic and Knuckles and you have a list, fuck that game straight up.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By obcdexter
    @Supermarius said:
    " There are alot of game series that the GB crew incorrectly hate or ignore. Someone should keep a list. Just some things that would go on it are: Blazblue, Pokemon, Sonic & Knuckles (seriously, wtf Jeff), Just Cause 2, nippon ichi stuff, etc "
    Yeah, sometimes you really wonder where all this hate comes from.
    Guess all those years in the business made them less tolerable for different ideas. Like their going the "easy" way with an old, proven formula rather
    than trying out much new or just different stuff nowadays, with an exception every once in a while.
    Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Supermarius
    @EliasT said:
    " @Supermarius said:
    Get rid of the Sonic and Knuckles and you have a list, fuck that game straight up. "
    people who don't like Sonic & Knuckles don't really count as people. Also guess i would add Demons' Souls onto that list.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EliasT
    @Supermarius said:
    " @EliasT said:
    " @Supermarius said:
    Get rid of the Sonic and Knuckles and you have a list, fuck that game straight up. "
    people who don't like Sonic & Knuckles don't really count as people. Also guess i would add Demons' Souls onto that list. "
    Nah, some of the staffers really enjoyed Demon's Souls.

Also, Sonic 3 sucked too.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I like this its mainly people complaining about how unfair Jeff is and being, I'm sorry, "butt hurt" about no coverage on BB 2.  And the other half is people saying that  he isn't into it and stop complaining.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @EliasT: Why?
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EliasT
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @EliasT: Why? "
    The level design is some of the worst I've ever seen, real talk.
    CodyCrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CodyCrook
    @Supermarius said:
    They said they liked Just Cause 2 but some stuff in it (as with almost every open world game like it) is janky
    eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#49  Edited By eliminator

Omg the picture with the hater kid scared me.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By trophyhunter

Jeff didn't like there for giantbomb does not like it and the whole Anime is for jerks thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.