Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Blizzard Entertainment

Company »

Blizzard Entertainment Inc. (formerly named Silicon & Synapse) is an American video game developer and publisher currently based in Irvine, CA. As of July 10, 2008 they are a division of Activision Blizzard.

Blizzard should join Steam

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Geno

Seriously, why not? Sony's already joined with Everquest, and so has Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, and Eve Online. Blizzard has nothing to lose and is sure to get plenty of new customers, especially if there's some special introductory offer from Steam. Not only that, they'd make a killing of of their back catalogue too (Warcraft and Diablo Pack anybody?). What are they waiting for?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By iamjohn

Blizzard likes making fucktons of money and they can make ever more fucktons of money with their proprietary store that they don't have to share with Valve?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Given that Battle.net exists, and they are integrating it as one user account for all their new gen stuff (WoW, D3, and SC2)...I don't think that would be a good idea.

On top of which, they don't use any type of DRM on their stuff anyways...because they don't need to.
    TheWadeBrigade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheWadeBrigade

Blizzard also already has their own digital distribution system for their games and it works pretty well.  They even let you put in your cd keys from any of their games and download it from their website whenever you want.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Geno
    iAmJohn said:
    "Blizzard likes making fucktons of money and they can make ever more fucktons of money with their proprietary store that they don't have to share with Valve?"
    There's 20 million accounts on Steam. Surely if they want to make money (and promote their back catalog to make even more money) they should integrate themselves with a distribution system that involves 90% of the PC market?
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Lunarbunny

I have my doubts (I speak this as an outsider as if I actually had any internal knowledge of discussions of this subject, I couldn't say anything), considering they're using their own Blizzard Downloader service.

See http://www.blizzard.com/store/browse.xml?f=c:1,c:7

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iamjohn

And yet World of Warcraft, a single game that costs numerous upfront fees plus $15 a month to play, has a little over half the subscription numbers of Steam, plus Starcraft and Diablo are huge brands in their own right.  Blizzard is as ubiquitous with PC gaming as it gets; they're doing just fine without partnering with a retail partner, so why would they do so and have to share the profits instead of sell it themselves, get all the profits, and do just fine?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Geno

Is Ubisoft or EA any smaller of a company than Blizzard? No, in fact they're bigger, yet they've joined Steam. Clearly the sales increases more than justify any commission Steam charges. They're doing fine, but they'd do even better by partnering with Steam. I don't see how introducing themselves to an audience of millions could possibly hurt them. Not everybody plays WoW on the PC, and many people have missed out on Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. Sales, especially software sales, benefit the most from number of sales rather than raw profit on each individual one. They could have a customer pay 90% of what they charge on the blizzard store, or have a customer simply not buy or not know about the product at all, which one is better?

Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Superchris129

I like independent blizzard, thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'd rather not be forced to use Steam any more than necessary.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iamjohn

Geno, I don't understand why you continue to argue from the position that Blizzard would get this huge boost in sales because people would be re-introduced to Blizzard products.  Blizzard games, be they WoW or the Battle Chests, sell gangbusters every month, and sales always spike every time Blizzard does something new.  Blizzard games are cultural touchstones.  Just a few weeks ago, my roommate, who pretty much only plays NBA Live and GTA knock-offs, got into a conversation with me about how great Starcraft was back in the day, and was absolutely elated when I downloaded Brood War from my Blizzard account for him.  Steam, as a service, gets no advertising through any traditional means, and has only become so huge through word of mouth and from being packaged with a few retail games.  What I'm getting at is, I think the Steam community is far more educated and far more hardcore than your average console owner, and I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of all Steam users have had some experience with a Blizzard game, being it owning one, playing one, or hearing of one.  Blizzard is that prolific; far more prolific and culturally relevant than something like Steam.

And when you get to be that prolific, you don't need anybody's help to sell games.  The reason they won't partner with Steam is that they feel that they wouldn't be making much more money if they were on Steam, and they'd have to share the profits unlike if they sell a bunch of boxed copies of Battle Chests to a store or sell all the games via their website.  And they're probably right.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Blizzard is not independent anymore, see Activision-Blizzard. Activision titles do get on Steam, so it's plausible. But no, Blizzard has no need for Valve's prestige among PC gamers. They hold the same power if not more, and could probably make their own distribution platform and compete with Steam head to head if that's what they were into instead of making and providing their own games. If you just want to download their offered titles, you can do that, and without the need for a launcher. Why do you want to have the launcher? As for their future games, their Battle.net updates will ensure it's as useful, if not more so, as Steam when it comes to friend lists, match making or whatever else.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Systech

Because Blizzard doesn't need to, though it would be pretty awesome if they put up some Diablo and Warcraft.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iamjohn
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Blizzard is not independent anymore, see Activision-Blizzard. Activision titles do get on Steam, so it's plausible. But no, Blizzard has no need for Valve's prestige among PC gamers. They hold the same power if not more, and could probably make their own distribution platform and compete with Steam head to head if that's what they were into instead of making and providing their own games. If you just want to download their offered titles, you can do that, and without the need for a launcher. Why do you want to have the launcher? As for their future games, their Battle.net updates will ensure it's as useful, if not more so, as Steam when it comes to friend lists, match making or whatever else."
    Well technically, dude, Blizzard has not been independent since the mid-nineties.  They've always been subsidiaries of some company and have been passed around a bunch before ending up being owned by Vivendi as they still are now.  And I'm sure that part of the merger/purchase agreement with Activision (and lest we forget, Vivendi owns Activision) was that though Activision would pretty much be put in charge of the corporation for obvious reasons, Blizzard would remain autonomous (not that I think Activision would have really wanted to toy with Blizzard anyway).  But other than that, I completely agree.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho

Blizzard is launching the new Battle.net application when StarCraft II launches, which I believe we all should assume will be a Steam competitor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.