Blizzard Talks Next MMO Project "Titan"

• 103 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It’ll be a long, long time before we hear something meaningful about Blizzard Entertainment’s next MMO, a project titled “Titan.” World of Warcraft is still successful enough, and keeps the pressure off of Blizzard to reveal its next big thing. But Blizzard COO Paul Sams did have a few interesting details to share about his studio’s next MMO in a recent interview with Gamasutra

"I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams shared. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team,” he revealed.    

== TEASER ==Sams added that the existing crowd of World of Warcraft developers are seasoned, too, having spent time learning from the more senior dudes being shifted to "Titan." They’ve been iterating on the game for years without the aid from their teachers and will keep up that support for years to come, Sams said.

"We're very confident in [“Titan”]. It's an awesome one," Sams said. "We're playing it already. It's a total ball to play. We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that," he added. "I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has." Big words, eh?

Because it’s still so early in the development process--and because it’s Blizzard--there’s no release window for “Titan.” But Sams did say that it’ll appear after Diablo III, whenever that gets out the door either late this year or at some point in 2012.    

#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

It’ll be a long, long time before we hear something meaningful about Blizzard Entertainment’s next MMO, a project titled “Titan.” World of Warcraft is still successful enough, and keeps the pressure off of Blizzard to reveal its next big thing. But Blizzard COO Paul Sams did have a few interesting details to share about his studio’s next MMO in a recent interview with Gamasutra

"I believe [it's] the most ambitious thing we've ever attempted," Sams shared. "And I feel like we have set our company up to succeed on that. We have some of our most talented and most experienced developers on that team. Many of the people that built World of Warcraft are full time on that other team,” he revealed.    

== TEASER ==Sams added that the existing crowd of World of Warcraft developers are seasoned, too, having spent time learning from the more senior dudes being shifted to "Titan." They’ve been iterating on the game for years without the aid from their teachers and will keep up that support for years to come, Sams said.

"We're very confident in [“Titan”]. It's an awesome one," Sams said. "We're playing it already. It's a total ball to play. We think that the reach of that product is greater than anything that we've done before. We're very excited about that," he added. "I believe that it's the type of game that will have a very long life, much like World of Warcraft has." Big words, eh?

Because it’s still so early in the development process--and because it’s Blizzard--there’s no release window for “Titan.” But Sams did say that it’ll appear after Diablo III, whenever that gets out the door either late this year or at some point in 2012.    

#2 Edited by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

please
EDIT:I love you Blizzard <3

#3 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Won't sell as much as wow.

#4 Posted by Penzilneck (423 posts) -

Wow!

#5 Posted by walterkovacsv (94 posts) -

double you oh double you

#6 Posted by TehJedicake (882 posts) -

Hopefully it won't be carebear like WoW is

#7 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

This comments section is filled with failure so far.

#8 Posted by KillerBears (248 posts) -

Which one of those details were supposed to be interesting? That the project has a code name?

#9 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

I still wanna jump back into WOW, I got a lvl 74 character now, but hearing that they are making a new mmo makes me hesitant. 

#10 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -
@TehJedicake said:
" Hopefully it won't be carebear like WoW is "
Forget it. They're not including world PvP in Diablo III, not even as an option. No way their next MMO will be more hardcore than WoW.
#11 Posted by behelit (7 posts) -

WoW has sucked since end of TBC, and Blizzard has sold-out.

#12 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2486 posts) -

Well, there go the other half of the PC gamers that were actually buying a game on the platform occasionally.

#13 Posted by Babylonian (837 posts) -

Dude, Nicholson, how is there no speculation that this is World of Starcraft? Not only did they shut down a fan-made mod with that name in Starcraft II, but THE PROJECT IS FUCKING CODENAMED "TITAN." COME ON, MAN. 

Blizzard is smart. They're either hinting that this is World of Starcraft, or they're messing with us and this is a red herring.

#14 Posted by Dan64 (82 posts) -

#15 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

Basically what they're saying is "We're going to see how popular this Guild Wars 2 thing takes off and go from there"

#16 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

You know what? Hearing about news stories, and this goes with any news outlet, that talks about how the developer is excited about their game, is getting pretty annoying. 

Yeah, we get it. They're happy about their game. Who wouldn't be happy about their own game? Now, let's hear some news about what this game is about.

#17 Posted by Bunnyman (212 posts) -

I'm extremely curious to see what they come up with. 
I have to assume that they hope to keep their WoW-players on WoW, so this could be something for those who left WoW, or never even cared to try it out. 

#18 Posted by ZagZagovich (757 posts) -
@Babylonian: 
They are trying to fool you. It's Blackthrone MMO set 200 years after the events of the original.
#19 Posted by csl316 (8367 posts) -
@Dan64: lol, my go-to image.

Can't wait for this to come out and watch half my friends disappear for a year.  Boo, MMO's!
#20 Posted by Shakermaker (40 posts) -

World of Starcraft seems the safest bet, but would that mean it is a shooter? 

#21 Posted by Dan64 (82 posts) -
@csl316:  

I use it WAY too often.
#22 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -

Bungie + Blizz = Titan = Console (& PC) subscription MMOFPS (?!?!) $$$$$$

I am going to keep calling this until it turns out I'm wrong.

#23 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

im setting up a blizzard monthly direct debit, i just want them to have my money

#24 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Space?

#25 Posted by Krenor (469 posts) -

is there a way to give Blizzard my bank account number and password, I just want them to be able to get my money whenever they can, all of it if that's what they wish

#26 Posted by Deusoma (3004 posts) -

I bet this is going to be that MMOFPS that Bungie is working on in secret. I'd love to see a shooter with a Blizzard setting and writing and Bungie's creamy-smooth controls.

#27 Posted by raiz265 (2237 posts) -
@Jimbo said:
" Bungie + Blizz = Titan = Console (& PC) subscription MMOFPS (?!?!) $$$$$$  I am going to keep calling this until it turns out I'm wrong. "
I hope you're wrong :( 

But anyway, BLIZZARD!!! HUZZA!!!!
#28 Posted by animathias (1180 posts) -

I bet this is the last we hear about [Titan] until at least E3 2012, if not 2013.

Also, the "Blizzard has sold out" comment made me laugh. I mean.. Really? They make well over $150 million a month. "Selling Out" means you change your image and or message so a big corporation gives you money

#29 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

If this doesn't completely rip apart every MMORPG convention WoW has built up as the genre standard then color me uninterested.

#30 Posted by MightyMayorMike (423 posts) -

Damn, kind of hard to get excited when the only details released is a Blizz guy basically saying nothing except, "Yeah, be excited!" On the one hand, Blizzard is probably the only company that could pull me back into an MMO. On the other, with the state that WoW is in now (not against the casual slant, it's just not for me), I could see this "far-reaching game" missing a lot of more serious players like me.

#31 Posted by Pop (2617 posts) -
@Dan64 said:
"
"
exactly what I was thinking xD 
I was hoping they would say what kind of game it is, since they said they were playing it already.. assholes they really know how to get to me.
#32 Posted by CitizenJP (1016 posts) -

It's aboot time.

#33 Posted by Evilsbane (4582 posts) -

Blizzard why must everything you do make Valve seem like they put out games every other week.

#34 Posted by Agent47 (1894 posts) -
@Jimbo: What the hell does Bungie have to do with any of this?
#35 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2379 posts) -

I think the only way it'll be as popular as WoW is if it has better graphics and is "The New Best MMO" and new MMO players flock to it over time (Eventually beating WoW by sheer time) or it'll allow old WoW players to move their profile, items, character, and EVERYTHING ELSE over.

#36 Posted by kyrieee (379 posts) -
@Babylonian said:
" Dude, Nicholson, how is there no speculation that this is World of Starcraft? Not only did they shut down a fan-made mod with that name in Starcraft II, but THE PROJECT IS FUCKING CODENAMED "TITAN." COME ON, MAN. 

Blizzard is smart. They're either hinting that this is World of Starcraft, or they're messing with us and this is a red herring. "
They've said that it's a brand new IP
#37 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Although I want a World of StarCraft (I would play the shit out of that), I recall Titan being exclusively a new IP, as in it has nothing to do with StarCraft, WarCraft and Diablo.

#38 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -

Interesting that [Titan] is far enough along that the devs are already playing it.  The comments about the reach of the product imply that it's based on a world more well-known, or at least more new-player friendly, than the WoW universe.

#39 Edited by Regal (434 posts) -
@Babylonian said:

" Dude, Nicholson, how is there no speculation that this is World of Starcraft? Not only did they shut down a fan-made mod with that name in Starcraft II, but THE PROJECT IS FUCKING CODENAMED "TITAN." COME ON, MAN. 

Blizzard is smart. They're either hinting that this is World of Starcraft, or they're messing with us and this is a red herring. "

They have already confirmed numerous times that it's a new IP.  

Even if they hadn't they would still not actively quell rumors that it's "World of Starcraft" because that is so stupid that no one would believe it.   

They may have been bought by Activision but come on, a stunt like "The World of Starcraft" would if not outright destroy Blizzard then reduce it's standing and wealth considerably. I guarantee you they are not that stupid. Don't worry about it.
#40 Posted by SilverShadow (187 posts) -

Keep in mind that Blizzard has stated that "Titan" will be a brand new IP and they are making it so that it doesn't compete with WoW and vice versa. Basically, it is not going to be World of Starcraft. However, you could make a strong argument that whatever universe "Titan" will be in, that universe could be "future sci-fi" or maybe even a modern day era in a different dimension. Its safe to assume that it won't be a universe like WoW's where everyone has swords, pauldrons, staves, etc. Since that would potentially be competing with WoW. All in all, we know how "fast" Blizzard can put out games, so don't expect this game soon. I would predict Q4 2013 at the very earliest.
#41 Posted by Crono (2652 posts) -

Blizzard being Blizzard. Telling us absolutely nothing but still getting us extremely interested.

#42 Posted by melcene (3056 posts) -
@Xpgamer7 said:
" I think the only way it'll be as popular as WoW is if it has better graphics and is "The New Best MMO" and new MMO players flock to it over time (Eventually beating WoW by sheer time) or it'll allow old WoW players to move their profile, items, character, and EVERYTHING ELSE over. "
This is what people said about Everquest.  And WoW surpassed it in the first month.
#43 Posted by Cincaid (2955 posts) -

As someone who just barely managed to quit WoW for good, I must admit I'm both extremely interested and frightened!

#44 Posted by Beomoose (679 posts) -

Gaming Steve (back when he was active) used to say he expected "Titan" in 2014-15. He said 10 years of WoW was the goal, so far so good.

#45 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -

This all means nothing... awesome news. Empty quotes that could be about the world's largest hamburger. 

#46 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2402 posts) -

BREAKING NEWS! Blizzard says their next game will be awesome!

Would they really say different?

#47 Posted by J12088 (444 posts) -

No details have been shared. You lied.

#48 Posted by Jimbo (9799 posts) -
@Agent47 said:
" @Jimbo: What the hell does Bungie have to do with any of this? "
They're partnered with Activision-Blizzard for the next ten years.  I think there's room for a WoW-sized MMOFPS in the market -if you can make it happen on consoles- and if you did want to make that happen, I don't think you could ask for a better collaboration than Bungie and Blizzard.  Titan would be an appropriate name for such a project.
#49 Posted by bartok (2461 posts) -

Can't wait for my children to play that game when they turn the big 50.

#50 Edited by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

Since it is literally impossible to produce an MMO that does not compete with World of Warcraft, either the two would have to be integrated in some way (which I can completely guarantee is not the case even though I have nothing to do with Blizzard), or they are releasing it after they are done releasing WOW expansion packs. 

WOW xpacks will be done around 2013, after the two more they said they were going to make. So I'm calling it now;

Q4 2011 Diablo release 
Q1 or Q2 2012 WOW Expansion #4 
Q1 or Q2 2013 WOW Expansion #5 
Q4 2013 maybe TITAN....probably Q1 2014 though 

Anyone who thinks it will be released before then does not know business. And obviously does not know Blizzard, because Blizzard has proven they know their business and would never let their products compete. They also take insane amounts of time with everything they do, so my schedule is probably off by about a year. Also, World of Starcraft...most ludicrous idea ever typed onto the internet. 

Does anyone agree or disagree? 

Edit: I forgot about Starcraft expansions too. Depending on development cycle for those, TITAN may be looking at a late 2014 or even 2015 release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.