Blizzard's 2010 Global Writing Contest Begins

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Blizzard Entertainment is entertaining the idea of rewarding those who write romantic slash fiction pieces set in the World of Warcraft universe--you know, the ones where the thickly-muscled Orc meets the dainty, golden-haired Elf of his dreams while smashing plates at a Druid's wedding? Yeah, those. The studio has kicked off its 2010 Global Writing Contest, a contest that asks would-be authors to submit fiction based in one of three select Blizzard universes  for a chance to win hip prizes.

Starting now, the studio wants 2,500-7,500-word short stories based in the Diablo, StarCraft or Warcraft universes. If your piece is picked, you'll win a trip to Blizzard HQ in sunny southern California, where you'll meet some Blizzard writers and receive either a Diablo III "Overthrown" barbarian diorama or a Frostmourne sword.  

Seven runners-up will receive prize packages containing the Diablo Archive, the Warcraft Archive, the StarCraft Archive, and the Warcraft: War of the Ancients Archive--all signed by various members of Blizzard.

If this sounds like your jam, then follow this link to the FAQ. You'll get all the information you need. 

Image via GenzoMan at DeviantArt
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Blizzard Entertainment is entertaining the idea of rewarding those who write romantic slash fiction pieces set in the World of Warcraft universe--you know, the ones where the thickly-muscled Orc meets the dainty, golden-haired Elf of his dreams while smashing plates at a Druid's wedding? Yeah, those. The studio has kicked off its 2010 Global Writing Contest, a contest that asks would-be authors to submit fiction based in one of three select Blizzard universes  for a chance to win hip prizes.

Starting now, the studio wants 2,500-7,500-word short stories based in the Diablo, StarCraft or Warcraft universes. If your piece is picked, you'll win a trip to Blizzard HQ in sunny southern California, where you'll meet some Blizzard writers and receive either a Diablo III "Overthrown" barbarian diorama or a Frostmourne sword.  

Seven runners-up will receive prize packages containing the Diablo Archive, the Warcraft Archive, the StarCraft Archive, and the Warcraft: War of the Ancients Archive--all signed by various members of Blizzard.

If this sounds like your jam, then follow this link to the FAQ. You'll get all the information you need. 

Image via GenzoMan at DeviantArt
#2 Edited by Scooper (7882 posts) -

I wanna win a sword but I'm no good at writing. Bad times.

#3 Posted by SpaceDandie (255 posts) -

cool

#4 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I at first thought it said Blizzard's 2010 global warming contest begins and I was like whaaaaaat

#5 Posted by SpaceDandie (255 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" cool "
I see we have similar methods.
#6 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -
@MrStool said:
" @Scooper said:
" cool "
I see we have similar methods. "
I didn't get a quest pop-up so I guess they removed that one.
#7 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Oh god...I can't stop laughing.  Man, if WoW people are that hardcore...I should have almost zero issues selling my WoW code in the SC2 CE for well over 150 bucks!

#8 Edited by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

Damn you guys are fucking fast or my rss feed is really slow. 
edit: That sword looks awesome

#9 Posted by Mystyr_E (1172 posts) -
@Scooper: 

isn't that quest for new videos posted? I was the first on Hulu going to PS3 and didn't get anything so I'm thinking it has to be a new video (Quick look, trailer, ER, interview etc)
#10 Posted by MetalBaofu (1270 posts) -
@Scooper said:
" @MrStool said:
" @Scooper said:
" cool "
I didn't get a quest pop-up so I guess they removed that one. "
If you are talking about the first post thing, then I think that only works on audio/video posts(podcasts/quick looks/etc.).
#11 Posted by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

Dude. Frostmourne. 

I'm not a great writer, but I might give this a shot because dude, Frostmourne.

#12 Edited by MeatSim (10603 posts) -

We shouldn't be encouraging slash fiction writers but a sword would be cool.

#13 Posted by SpaceDandie (255 posts) -
@metalhead87 said:
" @Scooper said:
" @MrStool said:
" @Scooper said:
" cool "
I didn't get a quest pop-up so I guess they removed that one. "
If you are talking about the first post thing, then I think that only works on audio/video posts(podcasts/quick looks/etc.). "
yeah I actually already got the quest on a video. I was simply attempting to be a dick.
#14 Posted by Xeiphyer (5589 posts) -

That is pretty sweet! Fantasy writers go!

#15 Posted by mustachioeugene (483 posts) -

The Mark Twain award for Fiction should give away a sword too.

#16 Posted by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Is that... is that an undead rein-toucan?

#17 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Remember, your avatar is a skilled swordsman, you on the other hand, are not.

#18 Posted by Nasar7 (2500 posts) -

I would enter but I know nothing of the fiction of any of those games. Also, the prizes suck.

#19 Posted by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

Goddammit....I really want to enter this, but I've never go around to playing Blizzard's games, so I have no point of reference. Please do the same thing, Bethesda!

#20 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

I would totally do this if i knew anything about the ficition of blizzards games. I only have gotten into starcraft and i havent played the game in years. Oh well maybe next eyar.

#21 Posted by demontium (4707 posts) -

Lazy fucks.

#22 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2128 posts) -

I always found these contents funny for some reason, as I imagine the real prize instead being "We will rip it off and use it to make the sequel to the franchise that the writing was based on.  WE NEED IDEAS!!".  Anyways nice prizes.

#23 Posted by Beforet (2884 posts) -

A fanfic contest? That's actually a pretty neat idea. I probably won't participate, though.

#24 Posted by Lethkhar (76 posts) -

Oh, lord...

#25 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2063 posts) -
@jonnyboy said:
" Remember, your avatar is a skilled swordsman, you on the other hand, are not.
"
The moment he realized how big of an idiot he is, is simply amazing.
#26 Posted by ectoplasma (946 posts) -

I would just enter to try and pull a half-beard.

#27 Posted by Hector (3346 posts) -
@Laketown said:
" I at first thought it said Blizzard's 2010 global warming contest begins and I was like whaaaaaat "
I thought that too! hahaha
#28 Posted by AndrewB (7191 posts) -

How racy are we talking? I can come up with some pretty rough stuff. I could freaking use a Frostmourne.

#29 Posted by DannyJ (445 posts) -

Warchief Thrall waited. 
The torches above him burned and flared out of the air. 
There were demons in the throne room. 
He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. 
His warnings to Garrosh Hellscream were not listenend to and now it was too late.
 Far too late for now, anyway. Thrall was a shaman for fourteen years. 
When he was young he watched the ghostwolves and he said to dad "I want to turn into the ghosts daddy." Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY DEMONS" 
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. 
But now in the throne room of the horde he knew there were demons. 
"This is Garrash" the /whisper chimed. "You must fight the demons!" 
So Thrall gotted his mamga totem and blew up the wall. "HE GOING TO KILL US" said the demons "I will shoot at him" said the feldemon and he fired the arcane missiles. 
John mamgad at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill. "No! I must kill the demons" he shouted The /whisper said "No, Thrall. You are the demons"
 And then Thrall was a zombie.

#30 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

Damn that Frostmourne prize is really slick. :D Just might give this a try.

#31 Posted by armaan8014 (5257 posts) -

I don't know anything about the Blizzard universes, or I would have tried this out.

#32 Edited by zityz (2360 posts) -

Bumblebutt Milfhitter wanted to win the heart of the fair maden latoya cutiepoo, a Night elf, but he was only a level 12 with Durt Mcgurt rags and she with her level 80 teir 6 gear she received from her endless runs with The Great Time Waister of Nincompoop.  

So he set off to farm, but not just any farm. Oh no. He was not to farm stupid stuff like carrots and corn. That was left for the dwarfs and sissy folks who played harvest moon. No if he was to win the heart of this fair...blue one, he would have to HUNT, like a man.  

So off he went that glorious day to hunt rats. then wolfs.then something that sounds like it burps too much, then maybe a couple robots, then a toliet, then the back of a Dennys dumspter, until! he had finally reached level 80. 
 With head held high and feet reeking of dead fish he went out to guild fairs to find raid guilds. Yet, no one wanted him. With head hung low as he was about to leave he saw one raid guild who would let him in.  

They were a nice bunch of people, an all male group who wore pink 6 foot shoulderpads and purple speedos of doom. 
 As he raided with them in the dungeons at 8pm every night and in thier guildhall bedroom oddly enought right afterwords. HE himself finally had the high end gear he was looking for.  

Later that night. He then worked up enough courage to talk to Miss latoya and took her on a romantic date by a sea side, and then a restaurant, due to the fact a bunch fo things respawned and kind of ate all their shit. In the end though all was for naught. As Bumblebutt found out that she was really a dude named Bruce. An old bartender from a gay Biker bar in New Jersey. Later that night The delete button was pressed, and so came to pass.
#33 Posted by lacke (357 posts) -

What price would you chose? 

I'm a huge, huge Diablo fan but Frostmourne would be cooler (but at the same time more neerdy in a way). Not that I would use it, actually I might do a few swings, but from as a pure decorative piece I rather have something I can hang on the wall.

#34 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -

Hmm...interesting, verrry interesting...

#35 Posted by BeautifulSpaceCowboy (592 posts) -
@mustachioeugene: I could not agree more.
#36 Posted by mook201 (64 posts) -

Holy crap!  Imagine my surprise when I clicked this link.  That image that is posted is of my WoW character.  A couple of years ago I commissioned an artist  to do a piece of art based on me and my friend's character.  Years later, here it is on Giantbomb.  I'm famous!

#37 Posted by darianw (36 posts) -

I have that sword!

#38 Posted by Jeust (10342 posts) -

Interesting!

Frostmourne hungers... :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.