Blizzard's new MMO

#1 Posted by cassular (12 posts) -

Blizzard has an MMO in the works, what are you all hoping for?

Starcraft would be nice as a polar opposite to WoW, Diablo would be great but one would assume that items/environments etc... may overlap, WoW2 is a possibility, but I don't see why they would bother with it...

Or is it WoW for consoles? Blizzard has only ventured into console gaming once but the job advertisements do mention 'next-gen', a term associated with consoles typically.

Hopefully a new franchise!

#2 Posted by Xero (159 posts) -

I certainly hope that it will be a new franchise...

#3 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -

I'm guessing it will be a new franchise, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are in the works. Announcing an MMO at the same time for one of those franchises will be pointless. They wont announce WOW2 (hopefully), as having a game world start from scratch again will annoy alot of the community.

So I beleive its a new franchise, but hey... Blizzard always come up with surprises.

#4 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -
cassular said:
"Blizzard has an MMO in the works, what are you all hoping for?"
Make me something new, as much as I love the ongoing franchises I'd like to see a new one. But only if they don't totally destroy it from the start by, I don't know, making new expansion packs that renders you completely helpless from all the new loot that wants to be... looted. And suddenly everything I had is useless. Woho!
#5 Posted by Page1 (92 posts) -

I hope it is Starcraft, or something similar.

#6 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

It has to be something new.  But I see this new MMO being years away. 

#7 Posted by BryanGuitarDude (48 posts) -
Feanor said:
"It has to be something new.  But I see this new MMO being years away. 
"
I agree with the latter of your response, We probably wont hear about it until well after the re lease of starcraft 2 and diablo 3 so it could be based on one of those 2 franchises
#8 Posted by Terra1909 (312 posts) -

Just give it an original setting. I'm sick of fantasy MMOs.

#9 Posted by calf_exercises (858 posts) -

new franchise, new setting, new style of gameplay because no matter what it is, every MMO to come after it will be almost identical.

#10 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

World of Spacecraft
A new space flight sim mixed with an mmo

#11 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

Hoping it is something StarCraft related, they lined up WoW so well by releasing WarCraft 3, filling in the lore for the MMO through WarCraft 3 and Frozen Throne that I hope they are doing the same with StarCraft 2 and a StarCraft MMO.
I can't see them launching a new franchise for a MMO, they just love their game lore too much to create a world from scratch like that. Although I'm thinking of MMOG as they are today, perhaps they are working on a new type of MMO thats' gameplay could well work as a new franchise.

#12 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

I was hoping they would make an FPS game, because they haven't so far. But they could try a....FPS game which would be a new IP slash MMO.

Actually...that sounds terrible

#13 Edited by Vager (1654 posts) -

I really want a new IP, Blizzard details their IPs to the bone.

#14 Posted by MacGyver (280 posts) -

lost vikings MMO

#15 Posted by solidphoenix (286 posts) -

I'm guessing a new franchise. It doesn't make sense for it to be World of Starcraft, and I doubt they'll have 2 Diablo games in the works.

#16 Posted by ArmaziLLa (61 posts) -
MacGyver said:
"lost vikings MMO
"
Seconded...it's coming...the Vikings are gonna take the world by storm mark my words
#17 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
BryanGuitarDude said:
"Feanor said:
"It has to be something new.  But I see this new MMO being years away. 
"
I agree with the latter of your response, We probably wont hear about it until well after the re lease of starcraft 2 and diablo 3 so it could be based on one of those 2 franchises"
Well I saw somewhere that they plan on WoW having a 10 year cycle.  While that does not mean they would hold off another MMO just because WoW is out, but it could keep it from coming out laterrather than sooner.

Both Diablo 2 and Starcraft have shown they can be popular games for long long periods of times, so I can see blizzard leaving those franchise alone for a little while.

But odds are the next MMO they make will be Starcraft.  Even thought I would love to see them come up with a whole new idea I wouldn't mind a Worlds of Starcraft or something to that effect.
#18 Posted by WombatMan (14 posts) -

It wouldn't surprise me to see them do a Starcraft MMO.  If you look at how Warcraft worked out they released Warcraft 3 in 2002, then released WoW in 2004.  Doing it that way allows some time the franchise to build popularity again.  Right now there are a lot of younger gamers who didn't play the original Starcraft that ate so much of my soul for so long.  Given how long it takes to develop a good MMO, it wouldn't surprise me to see them release Starcraft 2 next year, give it a year or so to build a rabid fanbase, then release the MMO.  I think it'd be crazy for them to put out WoW 2 or a Diablo MMO, those games are so similar they'd cannibalize their own subscribers.

Plus Blizzard isn't exactly known for putting out new IP's.

#19 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

i dont see the point of a diablo mmo as diablo is already an online rpg, an mmo would just be diablo with more people
if they are making a starcraft mmo, they need space battles.

#20 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
atejas said:
"

i dont see the point of a diablo mmo as diablo is already an online rpg, an mmo would just be diablo with more people

"
I totally agree.  There has not been a good Sci fi MMO out for a long time and knowing Blizzard, whatever they put out will be quality.
#21 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
Feanor said:
"atejas said:
"

"
I totally agree.  There has not been a good Sci fi MMO out for a long time and knowing Blizzard, whatever they put out will be quality.
"

it would be indubitably kickass if each player contolled a wraith/arbiter/mutalisk, but thet'll be too hard to pull off, so it'll probably just be a RTS type thing.
#22 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

im hoping for something brand new

#23 Posted by serbsta (1867 posts) -

Im 90% sure that its a completely new franchise.

#24 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -
atejas said:
"Feanor said:
"atejas said:
"

"
"

it would be indubitably kickass if each player contolled a wraith/arbiter/mutalisk, but thet'll be too hard to pull off, so it'll probably just be a RTS type thing."
Controlling vehicles would be to hard to balance.  I could see any unit that is not one being a class and them going from there.
#25 Posted by Buscemi (1106 posts) -

A Starcraft-MMO whould be so freaking wrong. I mean sure, nobody really had any doubts in Blizzard's magic when they announced World of Warcraft. A World of Starcraft however, I don't know. Just seems wrong, the whole concept is just... wrong.

#26 Posted by Chaoman223 (39 posts) -

If its a starcraft MMO they're gonna have some serious trouble with the warhammer 40k MMO because theres a lot more people into 40k rather than basic warcraft. Ofcourse this would be better for us because the more competition the better the quality.

#27 Posted by Evilross (216 posts) -
Feanor said:
"atejas said:
"

"
"

*ehem* Eve Online....
Not only the best sci-fi MMO, the best MMO period, if your into group PVP.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.