Blizzard’s Next MMO May Include Product Placement

• 121 results
#101 Posted by imac2much (4 posts) -

As long as the product placement isn't as bad as the Duracell and Verizon in Alan Wake...

#102 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

It's clear they're putting less effort into WoW and more effort into Titan. I don't really mind Titan's advertising, I just wish they didn't basically bail on WoW like they're doing.

#103 Posted by EpicReflex (206 posts) -

Whether this works or not depends upon the games setting. So long as it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb i'll have no problem with it.

#104 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

@Sweep: lol

#105 Posted by Stubee (377 posts) -

In game advertising always gives me a chuckle. The 'Knowing' posters in Far Cry 2 were dumb but hilarious

#106 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

@imac2much said:

As long as the product placement isn't as bad as the Duracell and Verizon in Alan Wake...

Amen brother. That made me angry in the real, pure, real-life non-internet way. And it did completely break the game for me in terms of taking me all the way out of the experience of the game and made me aware that I was "interacting with a multi-media cross platform advertising campaign".

#107 Posted by Nicolawb (7 posts) -

@Fuga said:

i heard it's an mmofps

great, all my favorite Blizzard games are FPS.

#108 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1104 posts) -

It is the future of the industry. Radio, television, and music all went through it.

If you can generate revenue in a way other than sales, you will take advantage of it. Look at Xbox Live. The subscription price has gone up recently, yet there are more ads then ever before.

#109 Posted by Krrutch (154 posts) -

what if YOU are the product placement

raids will be lots of the same products attempting to take down a bigger company

#110 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Its Blizzard so I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

#111 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

@Aarny said:

It's clear they're putting less effort into WoW and more effort into Titan. I don't really mind Titan's advertising, I just wish they didn't basically bail on WoW like they're doing.

yeah I would be up for seeing WoW 2.0 but these are the demands of the narrow core market. They're trying to make the next big thing.

#112 Posted by HerpyFlerpy (4 posts) -

This definitely makes me think they're leaning more towards either a futuristic or realistic setting for titan. I also like the idea of ad money creating revenue which could (hopefully) reduce player fees (probably won't).

#113 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

@darkest4 said:

@Doctorchimp said:

Product Placement means free-to-play right?

That has to be a sure sign.

Have you not heard of Bobby Kotick? Blizzard Activision has become about maximizing profits to the nth degree. They've made literally billions of dollars from WoW subscription fees, the chances of their next MMO being free instead seems low, to me at least.

From their point of view, if it aint broke don't fix it, they've made so much money from WoW with it's high subscription fee so why change that? From what I heard (don't play or follow WoW anymore but I've come across a news blurb or two recently) the game is losing a lot subscriptions now but they still have millions of subscribers and it is a damn old game at this point anyway so it's to be expected, it's still extremely profitable. Coke and other companies aren't going to pay them billions of dollars to have in game product placement, millions yes probably, billions no. It's far more likely this is just an attempt to pack as much profit into their game as they can, you'll have in game product placement and subscription fees, and many people will pay it because it will probably be a good game and it's Blizzard.

Honestly, if in game advertisements was how they were planning to make the majority of their profit from this game, I think they'd be hiring more than one guy for it years into production of the game.

That being said, I personally don't really mind product placement in game as long as it fits in with the world, isn't awkward and doesn't interrupt gameplay. It's a lot better than in your face ads interrupting your entertainment for minutes at a time like TV. If I'm in a modern or future world setting and my character is drinking a beverage I could care less if it's a coca cola instead of a made up fictional brand or a generic blank bottle. After all I see these products and their fancy labels around me all day in real life, my brain is already used to kind of tuning them out. If they put some of the extra profits towards more content and a better game, then whatever, I'll accept it as long as the game is damn good.

We can hope the subscription fees are gone or at least lower and the services fees are brought to reasonable levels instead of charging $20 to change a name or something but realistically we'll probably just be disappointed.

Having a monthly fee nowadays is the biggest barrier...

Why make it 15 dollars a month when you can make it free and have the biggest audience possible....

THEN you get Coke and McDonalds money.

#114 Posted by Jayesslee (105 posts) -

Hopefully it's not as bad as most people expect it to be.

#115 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -

So it's free to play.

#116 Posted by Nevos (11 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

Reminds me of the new RE movie trailer.

Edit: Here it is.

Wow that is just terrible. I knew since the previous movies they were going down hill, but that is just terrible.

#117 Posted by KyngGeorge (1 posts) -

If done right, I could see cities getting this heavily.

If we ARE talking Spacey-SciFi-Post Apocolypse-Halo, I could see city quest hubs with massive billboards advertising products. Not just food and drink, fast food, but Razer or Turtle Beach even. It wouldn't be that bad that way, it might even be interesting to see how companies would go about advertising in a game. Also, making sure that the ads aren't static, but rotate every now and then to different products would be key.

#118 Posted by Jeaz (60 posts) -

Maybe they are going true with that April fools joke, about in game ordering from Pizza Hut :-)

#119 Posted by ric00015 (1 posts) -

@RiotBananas said:

IT'S A REAL WORLD MMO WHERE YOU JUST LIVE A LIFE. GETTING INTO FIGHTS AND NIGHTCLUBS IS WHERE ALL THE PVP IS AT AND HAVING A CAREER/CRIME LIFE IS RAIDING. DONE.

This would be utterly hilarious. Imagine the complicated series of movement required to simply go to the fridge and get a soda. Which would be where brands come in. However, (and this may be posted earlier, I didn't read all 5 pages of comments) this brand may not necessarily be a real life brand. The title “franchise development producer” may just be referring to someone who would create brands for in-game products, or possibly create the branding for Titan itself, or for real-life versions of in-game products. We might be jumping to conclusions in saying that this job will bring in real, recognizable brands into the game.

#120 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Nevos said:

@MikeGosot said:

Reminds me of the new RE movie trailer.

Edit: Here it is.

Wow that is just terrible. I knew since the previous movies they were going down hill, but that is just terrible.

Ah, c'mon, the RE movies are likable. They're likable because they're BAD, but at least it is possible to enjoy them.
#121 Posted by ashriels (156 posts) -

My gut instinct is that product placement is irksome, and that I and most other gamers don't want to be advertised to.

Especially if this game is going to be something you pay for. Paying for a game and getting advertisements is like purchasing a DVD movie and not being able to skip the commercials at the beginning. It's unpleasant and incredibly annoying.

Those rules change if Titan were to be free to play. Then I would be a bit more understanding.

I will reserve any judgements I have until I see how this advertising is executed.

#122 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

Hopefully this means free to play, or at least really cheap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.